• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
I hope Insomniac just makes an entirely new franchise that's their own and not licensed from an existing property. I want them to have their HZD.

But they've finally found critical success & acclaim after such a long string of games with mixed reception. Spider-Man is their HZD. They've spent so long on trying to build new IPs with Fuse, Sunset Overdrive, Song of The Deep, & those 3 VR Games, and yet their biggest return to form was through Spider-Man and Ratchet & Clank. So unless it's VR, I don't think I'd want them to rush back into making new AAA IP anytime soon.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True. I just don't see them moving on before finishing a trilogy of Spider-Man games at least. That would fall in line with other successful first party IP.
I'm hoping that they can alternate between the 3. Ratchet ---> New IP ---> Spiderman ---> VR Game
I have a feeling they'll be doing Spider-Man and Rachet for quite a while. Might not see a new AAA IP until after Spider-Man 3.
The time table would make me really sad.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
But they've finally found critical success & acclaim after such a long string of games with mixed reception. Spider-Man is their HZD. They've spent so long on trying to build new IPs with Fuse, Sunset Overdrive, Song of The Deep, & those 3 VR Games, and yet their biggest return to form was through Spider-Man and Ratchet & Clank. So unless it's VR, I don't think I'd want them to rush back into making new AAA IP anytime soon.

Something that all those attempts have in common is that they weren't made with Sony. This generation they saw R&C have its biggest success followed by Spider-Man being the biggest success they've ever had. James Stevenson made this post before Spider-Man came out, and I think it's important to keeep it in mind goign forward with any potential new IP's they may make under Sony

So the story is 1000% true

Sony FP has the best pipeline and support system in the business to create big story-based games. Some people don't realize all of the support a publisher can give a developer, and that's true of every major publisher for every major game.

Marvel approached Sony, wanting them to do one of their characters right with a big first-party story game. They wanted to work with one of the developers Sony FP works with frequently, and even mentioned us by name to Sony as a developer who they felt particularly fit.

Sony approached us, we were interested (obv!), and they told us Marvel wanted us to pick which hero we most wanted to play with. We picked Spider-Man (obv!).

All real, all how it happened, no ties to any other deal or circumstance.

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And they can find that same success again like they did with Spyro, Ratchet and Clank, and Resistance. Spider-Man isn't their franchise and I think that'll always be a chip on their shoulder when you compare their contemporary success to Guerrilla, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Bend, etc. I think they'll want to establish a new franchise to mark their new relationship with Sony.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Man what the fuck just happened, NiOh 2, DS, RE and FF7 trailers / gameplay all released at the same time

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Something that all those attempts have in common is that they weren't made with Sony. This generation they saw R&C have its biggest success followed by Spider-Man being the biggest success they've ever had. James Stevenson made this post before Spider-Man came out, and I think it's important to keeep it in mind goign forward with any potential new IP's they may make under Sony

That's true too. Sony & New IPs has mostly been ace this gen. So a new Insomniac IP under Sony might perform way better than their previous attempts.

And they can find that same success again like they did with Spyro, Ratchet and Clank, and Resistance. Spider-Man isn't their franchise and I think that'll always be a chip on their shoulder when you compare their contemporary success to Guerrilla, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Bend, etc. I think they'll want to establish a new franchise to mark their new relationship with Sony.

Yeah, but nothing is guaranteed. I don't even think any of them see it that way either seeing how passionate they all are about Spider-Man in the first place. To me it seems their approach is more of how can we surpass the bar placed by SIE Studios with Spider-Man than lets show Sony we can make a new AAA IP too. Plus it just doesn't seem too practical to me considering Spider-Man already took most of the studio's resources. Add a new AAA IP on top of the already assumed Spider-Man 2 and maybe a new Ratchet & Clank then to expect all of them strike the same or even better success seems wild.

Outside VR, I'd expect them to go Spider-Man 2, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man 3 then a New AAA IP for PS5, similar to ND's PS3 output with UC & TLOU.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
The leap between Death Stranding and HZD regarding character models is impressive as hell. I'm curious to see if Guerrilla will take the same realistic approach on Horizon 2 or not.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
That Briefing trailer of Death Stranding was the perfect one to understand where the game goes, can't wait !

And this NiOh 2 trailer is so beautiful... too bad there was no release date

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Me thinks that Nioh 2 looks way better than Sekiro.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but nothing is guaranteed. I don't even think any of them see it that way either seeing how passionate they all are about Spider-Man in the first place. To me it seems their approach is more of how can we surpass the bar placed by SIE Studios with Spider-Man than lets show Sony we can make a new AAA IP too. Plus it just doesn't seem too practical to me considering Spider-Man already took most of the studio's resources. Add a new AAA IP on top of the already assumed Spider-Man 2 and maybe a new Ratchet & Clank then to expect all of them strike the same or even better success seems wild.

Outside VR, I'd expect them to go Spider-Man 2, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man 3 then a New AAA IP for PS5, similar to ND's PS3 output with UC & TLOU.
I feel like they have to be, considering it's what the studio was focused on, but it isn't theirs. I think something spawned internally would be more of a labor of love than a licensed property. That's not to say that Insomniac didn't put love or care into Spider-Man, it's clear that they did. I think it's a common trait to care more about the things that you personally create rather than someone else's creation that you're tasked with working on. If you don't take risks, you stand to gain nothing. Guerrilla took a major risk and it paid off for them majorly. The same can happen for Insomniac.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
I should really be on media blackout for Death Stranding, but damn imma tune in for the stream.

I feel like they have to be, considering it's what the studio was focused on, but it isn't theirs. I think something spawned internally would be more of a labor of love than a licensed property. That's not to say that Insomniac didn't put love or care into Spider-Man, it's clear that they did. I think it's a common trait to care more about the things that you personally create rather than someone else's creation that you're tasked with working on. If you don't take risks, you stand to gain nothing. Guerrilla took a major risk and it paid off for them majorly. The same can happen for Insomniac.

Yea, no doubt about that. Just don't think they'll rush into it, but I'm open for surprises.

Shoot, it'd be wild if they've reserved a small team for New AAA IP the whole time instead of Ratchet & Clank during Spider-Man's development.

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Me thinks that Nioh 2 looks way better than Sekiro.
giphy.gif
You right.
True
Yea, no doubt about that. Just don't think they'll rush into it, but I'm open for surprises.

Shoot, it'd be wild if they've reserved a small team for New AAA IP the whole time instead of Ratchet & Clank during Spider-Man's development.
I'm hoping that they did something like that and are just pitching and prototyping stuff. I think they'll go wild with the greater amount of creative and financial freedom.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So happy to see all these PS games being shown off and excited there's more to come later in the month.

Watched the DS trailer, I'm really not sure if I want to see anymore, but I don't know if I have the strength to hold out 2 more months and avoid spoilers.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
GunGrave looks fun as well, very cool day!

Lots of Yakuza gameplay clips

Last edited:

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding looks amazing. Congrats Sony on another Game of the Year contender.

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather not see Sony studios be turned into licensed IP factories, leave that to the partner studios.
I don't want SIE to become a licensed IP factory, but after having beaten Control, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want an X-Men game featuring Magneto as the lead protagonist battling the X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Apocalypse, The Purifiers, and Sentinels. Remedy convinced me that it could work, and having Magneto as a protagonist ensures that the game will have a great narrative. If Remedy did come under the Sony umbrella, they definitely could do it. If they weren't available, Sucker Punch could definitely do it justice.

Death Stranding looks amazing. Congrats Sony on another Game of the Year contender.
Was combat shown?

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I'm not watching, but hope Kojima shows haters they're wrong.

Last edited:

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Welp I'm eating crow folks, and enjoying it. That world looks amazing and like it's going to be a blast to explore. GoTY.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not watching, but hope Kojima show haters they're wrong.

It's exactly what he did. After watching it now it's easy to understand why Kojima's had such a hard time explaining what the game is. It's very weird. But you can also tell that it's very much from the people that made MGSV. There are a ton of systems in play.

Status
Not open for further replies.