• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
EGbkD2AUEAAs4sx

Kojima's mousepad.
I have the same mouse :D

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
So all in all, yeah, Sony's 1st party future looks amazing. They have the best 1st party studios and then they have the projects I've mentioned above. Now the wait continues for the PS5.

(Oh and acquire Bluepoint Games and Housemarque already, Sony ;) )

Great post! I agree SIE first-party productions is totally best in class, but I think that they thrive when they have a variety of projects coming from the larger network of contract studios that fill in the epic but slower release AAA games from their main WW studios. I'm definitely hoping they fill their action / racing niche.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So Kojima confirmed in a recent Famitsu interview that as part of their collaboration with Guerilla and working with the DECIMA engine, they improved the lighting and cutscene tools specifically.

The game engine is basically a tool, so it has its own game design and it corresponds to it. In that sense, the DECIMA engine is intended to create Horizon: Zero Dawn, and we have improved the lighting and cutscene tools so that our work will not have the same worldview. I think they will be able to advance DECIMA, and by integrating functions at a certain time, DECIMA can go up two or three steps in the near future.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I've got a little weird question regarding Kojima. Is he a smoker? Just can ignore how he likes to put cigarettes/smokers in his games in a very visible/central way.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Ok, thanks.

And yeah, maybe it looks somewhat cool, but it's a terrible habbit. Trust me, I was a smoker for 14 years.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great post! I agree SIE first-party productions is totally best in class, but I think that they thrive when they have a variety of projects coming from the larger network of contract studios that fill in the epic but slower release AAA games from their main WW studios. I'm definitely hoping they fill their action / racing niche.
Pretty sure something is in the works already at From Software. Either Bloodborne 2 or a new Sony IP. A few more JRPGs and arcade racing titles (Rollcage or a brandnew Wipeout) would be cool indeed :)
I've got a little weird question regarding Kojima. Is he a smoker? Just can ignore how he likes to put cigarettes/smokers in his games in a very visible/central way.
17ljbq.jpg

dnyvbzzxkaabcwiq4ke8.jpg

Doubt he's really smoking tho ;)

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
It is, more directly, in the Japanese press release on the SIE website. No english version is currently available.

www.sie.com

次世代コンソールゲーム機 「プレイステーション 5」に名称決定 2020年年末商戦期に発売

ソニー・インタラクティブエンタテインメント(SIE)は、次世代コンソールゲーム機の名称を「プレイステーション 5」(PS5)に決定し、2020年の年末商戦期に発売することをお知らせいたします。

Machine translation:

Designed for compatibility with PlayStation®4 titles

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Anyone else's Amazon order of Concrete Genie get delayed? They always suck with Sony exclusives for me.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Kojima, Kojima Productions liked this tweet. I don't know if it means something.
Kojima probably will sticky with Sony for next-projects as second party dev. He's a movie guy and Sony has a lot of links in movie industry, plus the fact they're probably gonna support anything he wants to do. Sony has a lot of resources that matches with his style of games.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
PlayStation Blog post with Neil Druckmann on The Last of Us Part II https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...w-the-last-of-us-part-ii-details/#sf221164279

About the new Infected types, Neil does mention that there's justification for these new stages, and he hints at it having something to do with the environment.
"In the first game, there is all this documentation about the different stages [of the infection]," Druckmann says. "Now we have to justify why there are different stages. Why are there mutations of these things? Without getting into it here, there is something about the environment and how much time has passed that has allowed these mutations to occur."

So I'm guessing some of the new infected will only appear in certain stages of the game, so for example we wont see Shamblers in snowy environments but only in Seattle.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kojima probably will sticky with Sony for next-projects as second party dev. He's a movie guy and Sony has a lot of links in movie industry, plus the fact they're probably gonna support anything he wants to do. Sony has a lot of resources that matches with his style of games.

Also, Death Stranding is a Sony IP, isnt it?

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I am really hyped about death stranding. Can't wait for the game. I really should change my avatar.

JediEagle

Oct 17, 2018
Slovenia
Hm, I played Medievil Resurrection on PSP, and I actually found it a bit annoying, I am not sure I'll be jumping into this version. I tried the demo and it was ... meh.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

According to people with knowledge of the situation, American PlayStation directors visited Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIEE) in London on Tuesday to announce the restructure of several divisions, including marketing and PR.
Restructuring continues.
SIEA increasingly taking lead on globalised operation
Makes sense. The SIE headquarter is in America and SIEA is their biggest market.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Don't understand why they have to do this, when Europe and America are different markets, especially Europe where there are many countries with different approaches to the marketing for each of them

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't understand why they have to do this, when Europe and America is a different markets, especially Europe where there are many countries with different approaches to the marketing for each of them
Restructuring, new strategies for a new upcoming console generation, etc. Sony right now wants to consolidate all of its businesses. And sadly, layoffs happen.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, layoffs sucks, less jobs sucks, but this might not be a bad thing in the end overall.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Cross posting from the Playstation EU job thread, wanted to see what you guys think.

So Playstation US is slowly becoming the Nintendo NCL? The head honcho headquarters who calls all the shots instead of each division making their own choices? Could lead to optimization of performance in the future.

Though I'm not sure how Europe will take this as Playstation EU was a powerhouse in establishing and stabilizing the brand in Europe. Without that power and always having to cater to American power/American perspective, that might lead to dissonance or favoritism. PS Japan has suffered from this mentality by not developing big Japanese catering first party games beyond like 1 or 2 this gen like Bloodborne, the rest were either lower scale/budget games or American/European localized games. Curious as to why the need to change as it seemed things were working out for each division pretty well by catering to each audience (even Japan to an extent but not as strong for the reason and point I'm making). Each division was able to build and develop a library that made Playstation as a whole well rounded. I'm sure Europe will still be in their plans and eyesight when planning games but my question is how much will the shift be (if any) in terms of who they're catering to/paying attention to the most

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Don't understand why they have to do this, when Europe and America are different markets, especially Europe where there are many countries with different approaches to the marketing for each of them

To be honest, I think this has been a big problem for Sony for some time. The fact that some games/accessories get marketed in one market but completely ignored in another never made any sense. Like SCEA never even gave Eyetoy or its games a chance in the US. It never was even on the radar for them. Meanwhile it became a big hit in Europe. Is that because the content only appealed to Europe? I don't think so given that a number of the game types that came from it, and motion gaming in general, would end up becoming worldwide successes with the Wii.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Jim Ryan was marketing director of SIEE for years and head of SIEE, he was maybe one of the people to decide this.
Now head of SIE, yeah it's hard to believe he didn't participate in these restructurings... (maybe as former head of SIEE, he tried to limit damage)

Restructuring, new strategies for a new upcoming console generation, etc. Sony right now wants to consolidate all of its businesses. And sadly, layoffs happen.
I see, that's just sad for a company this healthy

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks, it absolutely does for people losing their jobs.

However, in an increasingly globalized world, they needed to centralize their operations. Either US or EU, and they picked.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
But it's quite incredible to see that Sony actually doesn't give a fuck about a winning formula. Seems like they're going all in.

If they do this right then their formula will be unaffected. No one outside of those that follow gaming super closely will even know this happened. The change will ultimately be that games don't fall through the cracks anymore depending on their region.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Reading about the restructuring of Sony makes me think about the company I work where the same shit is going on for like 6 months. People are scared about getting fired, rumors floating around. It is just a shitty situation. Wish the best for all affected people. I really hope it pays off.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
To be honest, I think this has been a big problem for Sony for some time. The fact that some games/accessories get marketed in one market but completely ignored in another never made any sense. Like SCEA never even gave Eyetoy or its games a chance in the US. It never was even on the radar for them. Meanwhile it became a big hit in Europe. Is that because the content only appealed to Europe? I don't think so given that a number of the game types that came from it, and motion gaming in general, would end up becoming worldwide successes with the Wii.
I understand that process, ultimately, they could improve their marketing, be stronger, etc... just hope SIEA won't change too much the strategy operated in Europe because it works very well

Status
Not open for further replies.