• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Shawn was probably one position that got affected by this restructuring, and because he's at a senior level they probably did that first. he still was not replaced as Chairman, they probably realized the Chairman role was a little redundant since those tasks can be managed by the CEO.
What we're seeing now is the lower level restructuring.

Oct 25, 2017
Shawn was probably one position that got affected by this restructuring, and because he's at a senior level they probably did that first. he still was not replaced as Chairman, they probably realized the Chairman role was a little redundant since those tasks can be managed by the CEO.

Yep. I expect more news in the coming weeks.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Due to the redundancy, I've also been thinking that he probably won't be replaced and Shu will just be the sole head of WWS now, but we will see.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If was such a big role I'm sure he would be replaced by now.
Didn't they created this role just for Shawn after the last restructure?
I believe so, yeah. Though on the other hand, Shawn had been at Sony in various roles since the '80's, and with PlayStation specifically since the early PS1 days iirc, so his unceremonious departure is still sort of strange. Doesn't seem like the type of person you'd just lay off like that. I suppose it's possible that they told him they were doing away with the Chairman position and offered him another role, but he didn't want it and decided to retire. Who knows.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
A New Infected Emerges
Many sequels come with the thrill of facing new challenges. But Naughty Dog doesn't want to throw in new infected types for the sake of it. The studio has carefully thought out how the new Shambler – a grotesque mutation bursting with hazardous vapor – fits into the world's lore.
They introduced a new enemy type called The Shambler.

The article went on to emphasize that ND didn't want to add numerous new enemy types just because it's a sequel; they wanted to make sure it made sense in context of the lore.

I was hoping for infected animals and other Clicker types....

Oct 25, 2017

The article went on to emphasize that ND didn't want to add numerous enemy types just because it's a sequel.

They wanted to make sure it made sense in context of the lore.

That doesn't say just one. It just says they didn't want to go crazy with new enemy types not justified by lore.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

The article went on to emphasize that ND didn't want to add numerous new enemy types just because it's a sequel; they wanted to make sure it made sense in context of the lore.

You're reading too much into it.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

Given their logic, they are right
They built a realistic world, I don't think they want to add new types of enemy just to create new ones, like they said

But who knows, maybe they will add 1-2 more

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I understand that process, ultimately, they could improve their marketing, be stronger, etc... just hope SIEA won't change too much the strategy operated in Europe because it works very well
I feel you mon frère.

I get that they want to harmonize stuff and all, whatever !

But I'm not American. I'm European.
I'm not a Puritan, I'm a latin.
Do not mix one another Sony. As I don't and can clearly see the difference, or some could say the switch(or other again Kosm but that something I heard in a dream) between a Japanese company and an American one.

I would even add that I'm french and have a nearly congenital bias.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that process, ultimately, they could improve their marketing, be stronger, etc... just hope SIEA won't change too much the strategy operated in Europe because it works very well

Obviously it'd be foolish to just make all marketing the same across the world since different markets will react to different marketing. I'm reading what that article says as everyone will be on board with marketing specific games or peripherals as opposed to one marketing deciding that they'll market a game and another deciding that they won't really do anything. At least I hope that's how it pans out.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia

I douuubt CEO of PlayStation has all the time Shawn needed to his job properly (not even counting all the traveling). Double doubt when he has more things on his plate year before next gen.

You just combined a position that takes care of quality of first party games and that of a boss of whole company... thats like saying ceo of some magazine can do the job of editor in chief as well, which doesnt make sense.

Maybe shu is going to take over his responsibilities for some time?

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I douuubt CEO of PlayStation has all the time Shawn needed to his job properly (not even counting all the traveling). Double doubt when he has more things on his plate year before next gen.

You just combined a position that takes care of quality of first party games and that of a boss of whole company... thats like saying ceo of some magazine can do the job of editor in chief as well, which doesnt make sense.

It's most likely if they didn't plan for the departure that others will fill in and they'll never officially announce a singular replacement until they decide internally who gets it.

Sony is a Japanese company, they do not just fire people that high in the corporate structure and say nothing about it but a tweet. There'll be something about the reorganization in the next quarterly update for sure about it.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

Companies consolidate roles all the time, even high ranking executive positions like Shawn's. CEOs specifically are already more hands-on with various arms of the business than anyone else, so they have the experience and ability to manage the tasks of other executives.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

It's been well established animals don't mutate like humans from the infection, so there was no reason to expect them. It'd require the current Cordycep virus to mutate for each individual species or a different Cordycep virus tuned for each individual species that's still left and a means of spreading.
Clickers are Clickers, not sure what they could do to make them different or how they didn't happen within the first 21 years.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I wonder why Shawn's departure still hasn't been properly addressed by Sony? For someone who worked there half his life he's not getting much from them..

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Shu was already running WWS for years before Shawn came in .
So i can see why they don't need anyone to replace him since Shawn job was something Shu used to do before.
Talking about WWS here nothing else.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
So with Guerrilla Games being the only AAA European PlayStation studio, I really think that Sony should invest in getting another AAA studio set-up in the region.

I mean, SIEA has been amazing these last few years and so have been the US based studios at PlayStation, but I think another AAA European studio is a better investment than some of you wanting a AAA Japan studio.

Acquiring Remedy would easily do the trick though, so we'll have to wait and see if that happens in the coming years

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Arrowhead's next game is a 3rd person co-op shooter. It's basically all but confirmed to be a Sony 1st party game (for the PS5). So there you have your multiplayer game, folks :P
And the chances are high that Housemarque's first AAA game is a Sony 1st party game, too. Both XDev Studio supported, of course.
Then there is WiLD. I'm 99% sure it's a PS5 game now. So there we have 3 games already, made by independent 3rd party studios, that are Sony 1st party titles. Bluepoint Games working on Demon's Souls Remake. And Supermassive Games working on multiple Sony 1st party games (not announced yet, so they are 100% PS5 games). Kojima's next game will be a Sony 1st party game, too imho. I mean Hideo himself said hey wants that Death Stranding becomes a franchise. It's almost guaranteed that Death Stranding will be a success and sell millions. Last but not least there is Clap Hanz. Guess they are working on another Sony 1st party title, because that's what they always do :P Let's just hope it will be a next-gen Everybody's Tennis. We finally need a fun and good Tennis game again!

So we have:
- Bluepoint Games (Demon's Souls Remake)
- Arrowhead Game Studios (First AAA game - 3rd person co-op shooter)
- Housemarque (First AAA game)
- Wild Sheep Studio (WiLD)
- Supermassive Games (Multiple Sony 1st party projects)
- Kojima Productions (Death Stranding sequel / New AAA title)
- Clap Hanz (Everybody's Tennis or Everybody's Golf)

50/50 chance that they are working on a Sony 1st party title:
- Ready at Dawn (Working on an AAA game for several years already. My guess is that it's multiplat. Let's see.)
- Remedy Entertainment (Not much to say here. They were flirting a lot with Sony lately and they make great singleplayer games. So the chances are high that their next project is a Sony 1st party title. Would be amazing to see what they are capable of with a great 1st party partner like SIE.)
- Impulse Gear (Working on a next-gen PSVR title, after the really good "first-gen" PSVR title Farpoint.)
- First Contact Entertainment (Firewall: Zero Hour was damn good. Pretty sure Sony gave them cash for another VR title.)
- Firesprite (They have two projects. "A multi-million selling Action-RPG. And a new PSVR title." Maybe both are PSVR titles. Maybe both are Sony 1st party titles. You never know. They are ex-Studio Liverpool devs, so the chances are high that those titles are Sony 1st party games.)
- Flavorworks (Sadly I doubt that their next game is a Sony title. But I wanna mention them here, because I love "Erica" on the PS4. There aren't a lot of new choice-based games / FMV Adventures on the market. So my hope is that Sony continues to fund them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

So all in all, yeah, Sony's 1st party future looks amazing. They have the best 1st party studios and then they have the projects I've mentioned above. Now the wait continues for the PS5.
(Oh and acquire Bluepoint Games and Housemarque already, Sony ;) )

Great summary of 2nd party devs! But how many of these titles will be launch games for Ps5 or release during a launch year?

Launch year titles:

- My bet is Bluepoint's Demon's Souls Remake is 100% day 1 Ps5 title as the dev team started development right after Shadow of the Colossus got released on Ps4 which means that at Holidays 2020 the development time will be near 3 years mark which is more than enough for a remake.
- Arrowhead's AAA game is also a safe bet as their last game (Helldivers) was released years ago in 2015. But why are we certain that their next title is published by Sony?
- Wild Sheep Studio announced WILD at Gamescom 2014 and since then has shown the game only during Paris Games Week 2015 at Sony's conference. The lack of updates and overall silence around the title may only tell that WILD was purposely held for next-gen. Given increased amount of time the dev team had I think we'll see the re-reveal of the game at PS Meeting early next year where the launch window of Holiday 2020 will be announced.
- Also we shouldn't underestimate the output of Sony's first-party. I expect next Ratchet & Clank to be launch exclusive for Ps5 as Insomniac is very effective team which consists of 2 studios and could afford to work on 2 AAA titles simultaneously, especially now as they officially became Sony's first-party studio.
- Having prepared a grand amount of assets for the next installment in Gran Turismo series I can see Polyphony to launch the 7th part during the 1st year of Ps5.
- Japan Studio is also renown for its effectiveness which means a Ps5 launch AAA title from them is not out of realm of possibilities.

Other possible candidates for launch year are either VR titles or not really substantial smaller games.

Not launch year titles:
- Remedy's Ps5 exclusive game (if it is indeed in works) won't be announced for a while, we can be assured of this.
- If Ready at Dawn are working again with Sony (which is very plausible scenario as I still believe in their potential) I can't see their next AAA game being released in the next 2 or 3 years but CGI announcement is very possible.
- Kojima Productions might be acquired by Sony after Death Stranding's success. Or not. But Kojima is not going anywhere else from Sony in the foreseeable future, that is for sure. His next game won't be announced for 2 or 3 years.
- Housemarque released 2 games in 2017 (Nex Machina and Matterfall) and now developing Stormdivers alongside new AAA title. I doubt that we even get the announcement of that title next year. These devs have never ever done a single AAA title yet, they need time and resources. Otherwise it could end up as a failure without much content. Let's hope Sony is willing to give that time and support.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Acquiring Remedy would easily do the trick though, so we'll have to wait and see if that happens in the coming years
True. Sony needs more european studios. Arrowhead Game Studios, Housemarque or Remedy Entertainment would be awesome. And it would be great if they could get a german studio, now that germany is their biggest (single) market in europe :)
Great summary of 2nd party devs! But how many of these titles will be launch games for Ps5 or release during a launch year?

Launch year titles:

- My bet is Bluepoint's Demon's Souls Remake is 100% day 1 Ps5 title as the dev team started development right after Shadow of the Colossus got released on Ps4 which means that at Holidays 2020 the development time will be near 3 years mark which is more than enough for a remake.
- Arrowhead's AAA game is also a safe bet as their last game (Helldivers) was released years ago in 2015. But why are we certain that their next title is published by Sony?
- Wild Sheep Studio announced WILD at Gamescom 2014 and since then has shown the game only during Paris Games Week 2015 at Sony's conference. The lack of updates and overall silence around the title may only tell that WILD was purposely held for next-gen. Given increased amount of time the dev team had I think we'll see the re-reveal of the game at PS Meeting early next year where the launch window of Holiday 2020 will be announced.
- Also we shouldn't underestimate the output of Sony's first-party. I expect next Ratchet & Clank to be launch exclusive for Ps5 as Insomniac is very effective team which consists of 2 studios and could afford to work on 2 AAA titles simultaneously, especially now as they officially became Sony's first-party studio.
- Having prepared a grand amount of assets for the next installment in Gran Turismo series I can see Polyphony to launch the 7th part during the 1st year of Ps5.
- Japan Studio is also renown for its effectiveness which means a Ps5 launch AAA title from them is not out of realm.

Other possible candidates for launch year are either VR titles or not really substantial smaller games.

Not launch year titles:
- Remedy's Ps5 exclusive game (if it is indeed in works) won't be announced for a while, we can be assured of this.
- If Ready at Dawn are working again with Sony (which is very plausible scenario as I still believe in their potential) I can't see their next AAA game being released in the next 2 or 3 years but CGI announcement is very possible.
- Kojima Productions might be acquired by Sony after Death Stranding's success. Or not. But Kojima is not going anywhere else from Sony in the foreseeable future, that is for sure. His next game won't be announced for 2 or 3 years.
- Housemarque released 2 games in 2017 (Nex Machina and Matterfall) and now developing Stormdivers alongside new AAA title. I doubt that we even get the announcement of that title next year. These devs have never ever done a single AAA title yet, they need time and resources. Otherwise it could end up as a failure without much content. Let's hope Sony is willing to give that time and support.
Yep :) Launch/first year titles should be Arrowhead's new 3rd person co-op shooter, Insomniac's Ratchet & Clank, Bluepoint's Demon's Souls Remake, Wild Sheep's WiLD, Ghost of Tsushima (PS4/PS5) from Sucker Punch and something from Japan Studio. Maybe even Naughty Dog's multiplayer game. The rest is pretty much unknown. Of course we will get more, but I'm not sure from who and when exactly. So bring on the suprises! ;D

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
True. Sony needs more european studios. Arrowhead Game Studios, Housemarque or Remedy Entertainment would be awesome. And it would be great if they could get a german studio, now that germany is their biggest (single) market in europe :)

Yep :) Launch/first year titles should be Arrowhead's new 3rd person co-op shooter, Insomniac's Ratchet & Clank, Bluepoint's Demon's Souls Remake, Wild Sheep's WiLD, Ghost of Tsushima (PS4/PS5) from Sucker Punch and something from Japan Studio. Maybe even Naughty Dog's multiplayer game. The rest is pretty much unknown. Of course we will get more, but I'm not sure from who and when exactly. So bring on the suprises! ;D
I think we're forgetting Horizon 2! By February 2021 it will be 4 years since the original came out. Given how big Guerrilla Games nowadays I won't be surprised if the sequel gonna be the main highlight in terms of exclusives during launch year and the biggest Ps5 graphical showcase during PS Meeting 2020/E3 2020. Switch had Zelda, Scarlett is going to launch with Halo Infinite and Ps5's Big Boss gonna be Horizon 2 :)

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know of any german studio that would be within Sony's reach or even of interest to them or the fanbase.

I think we're forgetting Horizon 2! By February 2021 it will be 4 years since the original came out. Given how big Guerrilla Games nowadays I won't be surprised if the sequel gonna be the main highlight in terms of exclusives during launch year and the biggest Ps5 graphical showcase during PS Meeting 2020/E3 2020. Switch had Zelda, Scarlett is going to launch with Halo Infinite and Ps5's Big Boss gonna be Horizon 2 :)
Yup, whatever else Guerrilla is doing in terms of multiplayer gives me pause, but Horizon 2 is the priority and is surely going to be teased at the PlayStation 5 Meeting. I think Horizon 2 is going to launch in Feb-March 2021 too.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it. Guerrilla needs more time for Horizon 2. Don't forget the following things:
- It's a new console generation (new tools, hardware, etc.).
- They don't have the targeted "400 devs" now. They are still hiring.
- They're gonna move soon to their new office.
- It's a huge open-world action RPG. It takes some time to create them.
- Not sure if Horizon 2 is their next game. I have a feeling their second team is working on a multiplayer game which will release first.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
uncharted_4.png

uncharted-4-1920x1080.png

would y'all be satisfied with this fidelity at launch?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

Yeah, that is a big achievement. But European tastes are so diverse that Sony is quite lucky to have such a strong hold on most the territories and only continue to grow their popularity there. They are doing really well with the "worldwide appeal" mentality though with their software.

But I just think that since they are done with Quantic Dream, they need another close European partner or new internal studio to create a PS5 blockbuster with more European appeal (hopefully with franchise potential which QD never delivered). I believe Remedy can be that partner and there are telling signs its already happening with at least an exclusive game with Sony.

SIEA being rumored to be taking focus is largely because they have a collection of big, top-tier studios which SIEE hasn't had the fortune of building during the PS4 era.Hell even Insomniac is now part of them which delivered arguably the most successful PlayStation exclusive yet. Right now it just feels a little lopsided when Europe is still such a crucial part of their success.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
While it's ultimately pretty small, one of the things I want most in the PS5 is a game/playtime tracker. Sony has the tech for it because at the end of the year they send out a list of your most played games as well as how many trophies you collected throughout the year.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
That doesn't say just one. It just says they didn't want to go crazy with new enemy types not justified by lore.

They should keep the moment to moment gameplay interesting and create lore around it. I dont want to fight the same things in the last two hours of the game as I do in the first 2 hours. Good encounter design and variety is crucial and if you cant provide that variety with humans than you should at least provide it with infected.

Disappointed to read that tbh. I am hoping there are at least some interesting boss fights like David in the sequel.

Last edited:

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
So with Guerrilla Games being the only AAA European PlayStation studio, I really think that Sony should invest in getting another AAA studio set-up in the region.

I mean, SIEA has been amazing these last few years and so have been the US based studios at PlayStation, but I think another AAA European studio is a better investment than some of you wanting a AAA Japan studio.

I mean GG has been expanding, they plan to grow to 400 devs, releasing games even faster.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that is a big achievement. But European tastes are so diverse that Sony is quite lucky to have such a strong hold on most the territories and only continue to grow their popularity there. They are doing really well with the "worldwide appeal" mentality though with their software.

But I just think that since they are done with Quantic Dream, they need another close European partner or new internal studio to create a PS5 blockbuster with more European appeal (hopefully with franchise potential which QD never delivered). I believe Remedy can be that partner and there are telling signs its already happening with at least an exclusive game with Sony.

SIEA being rumored to be taking focus is largely because they have a collection of big, top-tier studios which SIEE hasn't had the fortune of building during the PS4 era.Hell even Insomniac is now part of them which delivered arguably the most successful PlayStation exclusive yet. Right now it just feels a little lopsided when Europe is still such a crucial part of their success.
Well the headquarter of SIE in in the USA. So it makes sense that SIEA is taking control. And the most successful PlayStation exclusive is still The Last of Us (PS3/PS4) :P
But yeah, SIEE has not enough "core" studios. Studios that are developing those "core" titles like Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, Spider-Man, etc. It was mostly family/party titles like SingStar, Buzz, etc. Or they are VR-only studios (London Studio, Manchester Studio). It's basically just Guerrilla Games and maybe Media Molecue. So one or two more studios in europe would be nice. I'm all for Arrowhead Game Studio, Housemarque or Remedy Entertainment :)

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While it's ultimately pretty small, one of the things I want most in the PS5 is a game/playtime tracker. Sony has the tech for it because at the end of the year they send out a list of your most played games as well as how many trophies you collected throughout the year.
Same here, a playtime tracker would be really nice to have. I love having it for the Switch.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It's a small thing but I love checking out the numbers on my Switch. It would be a nice addition.

Oct 25, 2017
The restructuring does suck and I feel for everyone losing their jobs. Hope they land on their feet.

But the wording used was redundancy. I'm going to specifically talk about this in regards to Laydens position. It is telling he hasn't been replaced and I feel there were too many "heads" at Sony. Too many people that decisions need to go through before something is done.

Look at MS. While I'm sure people report to Phil. He ultimately makes any decision. If he wants something done. It's done. Following the news of Layden leaving we immediately got new of Crossplay out of beta, and PS5 news. And in not stellar news we get these layoffs. I feel like for better or worse decisions that need to be made will be made faster.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The restructuring does suck and I feel for everyone losing their jobs. Hope they land on their feet.

But the wording used was redundancy. I'm going to specifically talk about this in regards to Laydens position. It is telling he hasn't been replaced and I feel there were too many "heads" at Sony. Too many people that decisions need to go through before something is done.

Look at MS. While I'm sure people report to Phil. He ultimately makes any decision. If he wants something done. It's done. Following the news of Layden leaving we immediately got new of Crossplay out of beta, and PS5 news. And in not stellar news we get these layoffs. I feel like for better or worse decisions that need to be made will be made faster.
Shawn Layden was mainly the chairman of Sony's 1st party studios. So I doubt he made the decisions for crossplay etc. He was responsible for 1st party stuff.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I'd like to see Arrowhead and Housemarque make their first AAA titles first before acquisition. Bend stumbled but managed commercially at least after 15 years of not making consoles games, whereas The Order: 1886 is still personally the biggest disappointment of the generation for me. The leap from handheld or AA/small scope games to AAA isn't easy and not for everyone. If Sony decides to acquire them solely for smaller scaled games, that's another thing but I think it'd be a waste if both studios want to expand and achieve greater things.

The same applies for Remedy. Sony always works with a dev on an exclusive game to test the waters before acquiring them. It also gives them the opportunity to coax them in and see if they are a right fit for WWS culture. Don't even remember the last time Sony acquired a studio without working with them first.

Bluepoint will likely be acquired assuming Demon's Souls is a thing or whatever their game is and it's a hit.

Besides, with the restructuring happening at SIE in general, I'd much rather job security be the highest priority before any studios signs deals like that. Makes more sense for things to be settled and properly setup for the coming decade before bringing in EMEA or APAC studios into the mix when things just started getting centralized in US if the rumors are true. Just my feel though.

Status
Not open for further replies.