• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2017
While it's ultimately pretty small, one of the things I want most in the PS5 is a game/playtime tracker. Sony has the tech for it because at the end of the year they send out a list of your most played games as well as how many trophies you collected throughout the year.
I was going to point you to the Playstation suggestion site where you can up vote this but it appears to be down or they killed the site. I'm with you on this for sure. https://share.blog.us.playstation.com/faq/

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
IDK. I still feel there was more to it. You get Ryan talking about not being complacent etc. And it still kinda fits. Like what Is Shu in charge of right now?

Shu is in charge or high level management and vision setting for WWS. Things like allocation of budget, how many games to fund, broadly deciding what kind of games to fund, charting out multi year roadmap for WWS games, etc.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
True. Sony needs more european studios. Arrowhead Game Studios, Housemarque or Remedy Entertainment would be awesome. And it would be great if they could get a german studio, now that germany is their biggest (single) market in europe :)
Housemarque and Arrowhead would be great. Remedy? Collab game first.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
The restructuring does suck and I feel for everyone losing their jobs. Hope they land on their feet.

But the wording used was redundancy. I'm going to specifically talk about this in regards to Laydens position. It is telling he hasn't been replaced and I feel there were too many "heads" at Sony. Too many people that decisions need to go through before something is done.

Look at MS. While I'm sure people report to Phil. He ultimately makes any decision. If he wants something done. It's done. Following the news of Layden leaving we immediately got new of Crossplay out of beta, and PS5 news. And in not stellar news we get these layoffs. I feel like for better or worse decisions that need to be made will be made faster.

Welcome to the marketing news cycle of creating good news to drown out bad...

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Companies consolidate roles all the time, even high ranking executive positions like Shawn's. CEOs specifically are already more hands-on with various arms of the business than anyone else, so they have the experience and ability to manage the tasks of other executives.

Having abilities to do the task isnt the same as having enough resources and time to do it. Shawn wasnt exactly a part time worker.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Having abilities to do the task isnt the same as having enough resources and time to do it. Shawn wasnt exactly a part time worker.
I never said it was....
Ok I get your point that Shawn obviously managed a lot and had a lot of tasks etc, and that just because Jim is capable of taking over some of the duties doesnt mean he has the resources to do it.
Which is a fair point, but here's the thing...

You're using the assumption that Shawn's duties and responsibilities as chairman were done by him alone, when the reality is that with most large corporations like SIE, management is usually done by a team of executives, and people like in Shawn's position rarely if ever operate independently. Jim Ryan, as well as other upper tier executives all had a hand in managing WWS and its various tasks. This is why consolidating the chairman and CEO roles isn't some improbable task. Many corporations in this day and age don't even have a "chairman" position, as those duties are often overseen by a company's CEO. It wouldn't be the first time nor is it a surprise to see a company like SIE move in that direction.

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
Spain 02 Sept - 29 Sept 2019 (AEVI)

Playstation 4
  1. FIFA 20
  2. NBA 2K20
  3. EFOOTBALL PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2020
  4. BORDERLANDS 3
  5. GRAND THEFT AUTO V
  6. MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION 4 EDITION
  7. SPIDER-MAN
  8. CATHERINE: FULL BODY
  9. RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2
  10. THE DARK PICTURES: MAN OF MEDAN
Playstation 4
  1. GRAND THEFT AUTO V
  2. MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION 4 EDITION
  3. CRASH TEAM RACING NITRO-FUELED
  4. RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2
  5. SPIDER-MAN
  6. FIFA 19
  7. THE DARK PICTURES: MAN OF MEDAN
  8. HORIZON ZERO DAWN
  9. NBA 2K19
  10. F1 2019

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Spain 02 Sept - 29 Sept 2019 (AEVI)

Playstation 4
  1. FIFA 20
  2. NBA 2K20
  3. EFOOTBALL PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2020
  4. BORDERLANDS 3
  5. GRAND THEFT AUTO V
  6. MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION 4 EDITION
  7. SPIDER-MAN
  8. CATHERINE: FULL BODY
  9. RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2
  10. THE DARK PICTURES: MAN OF MEDAN
Playstation 4
  1. GRAND THEFT AUTO V
  2. MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION 4 EDITION
  3. CRASH TEAM RACING NITRO-FUELED
  4. RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2
  5. SPIDER-MAN
  6. FIFA 19
  7. THE DARK PICTURES: MAN OF MEDAN
  8. HORIZON ZERO DAWN
  9. NBA 2K19
  10. F1 2019
Spider-Man is definitely hitting +20 million, hopefully we get an announcement.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Sony provided sales update just two months ago
www.marvel.com

'Marvel's Spider-Man' For PS4 Has Sold Over 13 Million Units Worldwide

The critically-acclaimed game is now the best selling Super Hero game of all time!
Yeah but that update was there because of Insomniac purchase

For example, God of War didn't have announcement for passing 10m sold through, we had to do pixel count on a chart to find out that 10.9m numbers

Too bad they do not provide numbers for major milestone to all of their exclusives :/

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
True. Sony needs more european studios. Arrowhead Game Studios, Housemarque or Remedy Entertainment would be awesome. And it would be great if they could get a german studio, now that germany is their biggest (single) market in europe :)

Yep :) Launch/first year titles should be Arrowhead's new 3rd person co-op shooter, Insomniac's Ratchet & Clank, Bluepoint's Demon's Souls Remake, Wild Sheep's WiLD, Ghost of Tsushima (PS4/PS5) from Sucker Punch and something from Japan Studio. Maybe even Naughty Dog's multiplayer game. The rest is pretty much unknown. Of course we will get more, but I'm not sure from who and when exactly. So bring on the suprises! ;D
Arrowhead made Helldivers right, that is really fun co-op game. Do we know if they're making playstation exclusive games next? Between Helldivers and Alienation, I can say I have more fun with Helldivers.

Would love if they get to make AAA ps5 game next. Even Helldivers with over the shoulder camera seems like it'd make a really cool co-op game.

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but that update was there because of Insomniac purchase

For example, God of War didn't have announcement for passing 10m sold through, we had to do pixel count on a chart to find out that 10.9m numbers

Too bad they do not provide numbers for major milestone to all of their exclusives :/
My theory is that Sony does not want to show in public a competition of games (and internal studios) about which one gets to the 5 million or 10 million milestone faster.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
My theory is that Sony does not want to show in public a competition of games (and internal studios) about which one gets to the 5 million or 10 million milestone faster.
Given the relationship all Sony studios have, we can exclude this. They are all probably happy when their bro studios succeed

But competition of games for us to compare, maybe
I think, they just don't want to release numbers for each titles, otherwise for each release, everybody will wait for numbers and they don't want to be « forced » to release them on a regular basis

Oct 25, 2017
Arrowhead made Helldivers right, that is really fun co-op game. Do we know if they're making playstation exclusive games next? Between Helldivers and Alienation, I can say I have more fun with Helldivers.

Would love if they get to make AAA ps5 game next. Even Helldivers with over the shoulder camera seems like it'd make a really cool co-op game.

Word is the they are developing an AAA exclusive for PS5. Same for Housemarque.

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
Given the relationship all Sony studios have, we can exclude this. They are all probably happy when their bro studios succeed

But competition of games for us to compare, maybe
I think, they just don't want to release numbers for each titles, otherwise for each release, everybody will wait for numbers and they don't want to be « forced » to release them on a regular basis
I mean, most probably internal studios do not have/care about such competition. I also think they are just happy knowing WWS games find success with sales, number of players, critic and public reception.
But if Sony would tell always when games reach fixed milestones, Internet will create such competition. I guess they are OK seeing players commenting quite often about their favorite studios based on how much they like their games, and not based on how much games sell.

Anyway, Spiderman legs look like the strongest of any Sony first party this gen (or any gen). I don't rule out the possibility of seeing a Spiderman 2 teaser in the PS5 presentation meeting or E3 2020 conference/SoP.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, most probably internal studios do not have/care about such competition. I also think they are just happy knowing WWS games find success with sales, number of players, critic and public reception.
But if Sony would tell always when games reach fixed milestones, Internet will create such competition. I guess they are OK seeing players commenting quite often about their favorite studios based on how much they like their games, and not based on how much games sell.

Anyway, Spiderman legs look like the strongest of any Sony first party this gen (or any gen). I don't rule out the possibility of seeing a Spiderman 2 teaser in the PS5 presentation meeting or E3 2020 conference/SoP.
Yeah I agree !

I can see a teaser like that (like they did for Uncharted 4 during PS4 release, originally planned for 2015) if they have a weak line-up planned for PS5 (compared to Halo Infinite + Forza for next Xbox), and I count the Horizon sequel (if the game is planned for early 2021, like inFamous SS early 2014)

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I mean, most probably internal studios do not have/care about such competition.

Yup, the only internal competition is about the technology/systems/narrative approach etc used to create the game.
I re-watched that Neil Drukmann and Hermen Hulst interview from 2017 where Neil couldn't believe the foliage density Guerilla achieved in HZD.

His immediate thoughts where to go back to his team and tell them they need to surpass that level for ND's next game.
On the other hand all WWS also share their tools and design techniques/solutions so this friendly rivalry and sharing helps create better games moving forward.

Sales comparisons are cool but a surface level comparison for internal competition.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

See my post here :) Looks like Arrowhead and Housemarque are both making Sony 1st party games. Arrowhead is doing a 3rd person co-op shooter, as it looks like.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So is Lost Soul Aside going to be released before the PS5 is released? I really can't wait for the game, though I have no idea just how far along the game is.

Oct 25, 2017
The front page Kojima interview is interesting. He seems to have done a lot of self financing. I wonder if he's even up for sale given all of that, or if he'll just stay independent with the occasional Sony deal.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
The front page Kojima interview is interesting. He seems to have done a lot of self financing. I wonder if he's even up for sale given all of that, or if he'll just stay independent with the occasional Sony deal.
I think he was vocal about being independent when he first split off from Konami, but I can't recall the article/interview.

Still, someone with his clout would have no issues remaining independent.

I don't think KojiPro are on the table for acquisition anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I think he was vocal about being independent when he first split off from Konami, but I can't recall the article/interview.

Still, someone with his clout would have no issues remaining independent.

I don't think KojiPro are on the table for acquisition anyway.

Agreed. I think Death Stranding will give his studio additional clout and he'll start making projects based on available deals plus the occasional Sony one.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
That doesn't say just one. It just says they didn't want to go crazy with new enemy types not justified by lore.
You're reading too much into it.
Given their logic, they are right
They built a realistic world, I don't think they want to add new types of enemy just to create new ones, like they said

But who knows, maybe they will add 1-2 more
They already showed another enemy type plus the shambler in the previews.
Hmmmm, fair enough.

They'll probably drip feed us more info about enemy varieties the closer we get to launch day.

It's been well established animals don't mutate like humans from the infection, so there was no reason to expect them. It'd require the current Cordycep virus to mutate for each individual species or a different Cordycep virus tuned for each individual species that's still left and a means of spreading.
Clickers are Clickers, not sure what they could do to make them different or how they didn't happen within the first 21 years.
I'm quite fond of the sci-fi route, where they can hand-wave away Cordycep mutations as evolution or something.

Oct 27, 2017
While it's ultimately pretty small, one of the things I want most in the PS5 is a game/playtime tracker. Sony has the tech for it because at the end of the year they send out a list of your most played games as well as how many trophies you collected throughout the year.

Yeah, I'd like this too. I'm a bit of a statistic freak and I like being able to see how long I've been playing, how many bullets fired, accuracy, how long spent jumping/driving/picking nose etc. Although the year-end emails they sent out annoyed me as they were definitely wrong. I remember one claimed I'd spent 40-something hours on Uncharted 4, which was definitely wrong considering I did one play through and played no multiplayer.

I think they might add some tracking system on the trophies as well, like what MS did in the XB1.

What has MS added? I like being able to compare my trophy completion vs. friends, but it could definitely use refinement. The app has a few neat features which I don't think are available on the PS4 itself.

Alpha_ulquiorra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. I think Death Stranding will give his studio additional clout and he'll start making projects based on available deals plus the occasional Sony one.
Didnt he reject other deals just to have sony publish the game? It's not like sony was the only offer. Sony's way of developing games vibes with kojima, he'll probably want to continue that rather than have an overbearing publisher.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Kojima said he wants to make more death stranding games after this one, he will probably just be using sony for now for his games because he gets really big budgets from them (although i guess if DS is a critical and commercial hit any pub will throw ridiculous amounts of money at him)

Alpha_ulquiorra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmmm, fair enough.

They'll probably drip feed us more info about enemy varieties the closer we get to launch day.

I'm quite fond of the sci-fi route, where they can hand-wave away Cordycep mutations as evolution or something.
Cordyceps is an actual fungus. I mean they could hand wave it away but there are already 400 species that effect only insects. Once it made the jump to humans infecting other mammals is a far less stretch.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
What has MS added? I like being able to compare my trophy completion vs. friends, but it could definitely use refinement. The app has a few neat features which I don't think are available on the PS4 itself.

XB1 shows detailed progress of a achievement on a system level. For example, there's a Gears 5 one where you need to kill 500 enemies; on the system UI you can see how many you already kill and how many you have left.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
For achievements that require you to do X of Y in a game, they usually have little progress bars to give you an idea how far along you are, so its a nice indicator of how close to unlocking the achievement you are. When it works, I've seen it not work or glitch plenty of times when I used my Xbox One, not sure if one of the hundreds of slow weekly updates fixed that bug though (I'm not a fan of the Xbox One!)

I've actually gone the other way this gen to be honest. I need to just switch off trophies completely (or hide them, whatever) as I've grown completely tired of just how stupid in my eyes they've become. If its not Yakuza, or maybe a Capcom game, I just don't try to get them anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Arrowhead's next game is a 3rd person co-op shooter. It's basically all but confirmed to be a Sony 1st party game (for the PS5). So there you have your multiplayer game, folks :P
And the chances are high that Housemarque's first AAA game is a Sony 1st party game, too. Both XDev Studio supported, of course.
Then there is WiLD. I'm 99% sure it's a PS5 game now. So there we have 3 games already, made by independent 3rd party studios, that are Sony 1st party titles. Bluepoint Games working on Demon's Souls Remake. And Supermassive Games working on multiple Sony 1st party games (not announced yet, so they are 100% PS5 games). Kojima's next game will be a Sony 1st party game, too imho. I mean Hideo himself said hey wants that Death Stranding becomes a franchise. It's almost guaranteed that Death Stranding will be a success and sell millions. Last but not least there is Clap Hanz. Guess they are working on another Sony 1st party title, because that's what they always do :P Let's just hope it will be a next-gen Everybody's Tennis. We finally need a fun and good Tennis game again!

So we have:
- Bluepoint Games (Demon's Souls Remake)
- Arrowhead Game Studios (First AAA game - 3rd person co-op shooter)
- Housemarque (First AAA game)
- Wild Sheep Studio (WiLD)
- Supermassive Games (Multiple Sony 1st party projects)
- Kojima Productions (Death Stranding sequel / New AAA title)
- Clap Hanz (Everybody's Tennis or Everybody's Golf)

50/50 chance that they are working on a Sony 1st party title:
- Ready at Dawn (Working on an AAA game for several years already. My guess is that it's multiplat. Let's see.)
- Remedy Entertainment (Not much to say here. They were flirting a lot with Sony lately and they make great singleplayer games. So the chances are high that their next project is a Sony 1st party title. Would be amazing to see what they are capable of with a great 1st party partner like SIE.)
- Impulse Gear (Working on a next-gen PSVR title, after the really good "first-gen" PSVR title Farpoint.)
- First Contact Entertainment (Firewall: Zero Hour was damn good. Pretty sure Sony gave them cash for another VR title.)
- Firesprite (They have two projects. "A multi-million selling Action-RPG. And a new PSVR title." Maybe both are PSVR titles. Maybe both are Sony 1st party titles. You never know. They are ex-Studio Liverpool devs, so the chances are high that those titles are Sony 1st party games.)
- Flavorworks (Sadly I doubt that their next game is a Sony title. But I wanna mention them here, because I love "Erica" on the PS4. There aren't a lot of new choice-based games / FMV Adventures on the market. So my hope is that Sony continues to fund them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

So all in all, yeah, Sony's 1st party future looks amazing. They have the best 1st party studios and then they have the projects I've mentioned above. Now the wait continues for the PS5.
(Oh and acquire Bluepoint Games and Housemarque already, Sony ;) )
See my post here :) Looks like Arrowhead and Housemarque are both making Sony 1st party games. Arrowhead is doing a 3rd person co-op shooter, as it looks like.

Nice info. I really hope Arrowhead are working on a new Helldivers. It's such a fun game and makes such excellent use of the perspective.

I wonder what RPG Firesprite could be working on. Seeing as Sony doesn't really have many western RPGs in their back-catalogue, my mind goes to something for THQ Nordic (Kingdoms of Amalur?) or Fable for Xbox/Playground (assisting, obviously).

Oct 27, 2017
XB1 shows detailed progress of a achievement on a system level. For example, there's a Gears 5 one where you need to kill 500 enemies; on the system UI you can see how many you already kill and how many you have left.

Oh cool; I remember Dying Light did that and I thought it was cool. I would also like it if there was a way to see if you had missed the opportunity for a certain trophy (like something only available in a particular level) so it's easier to keep track of. Something like feeding all the barrels to Trico in The Last Guardian, if you miss one the game informs you the trophy is no longer available as you cannot select levels and have to do the whole game as a complete journey.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Macca

Oct 25, 2017

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
I feel like the Decima engine is a big anchor keeping Kojima Productions tied to Sony for the foreseeable future. Kojima Pro has done a lot of working and tweaking on engine to get it working just how they want, collaboration has been so significant they even renamed the engine to reflect the Dutch-Japanese link.

Can't imagine Kojima Productions wanting to disregard all that after just 1 game and start from scratch again especially given how much Kojima disliked when it happened the last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.