• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Now that a GG lead is leading the pack.... I'm just waiting for a Killzone announcement that will trigger all the "But muh JRPG Sony!" or "Bring (Insert long dormant Japanese IP that will never see the light of day again) back!" to come running out of the woodworks.

JRPGs are so boring, who on their right mind would ever want over a new Killzone.

JRPGs should at the bottom of any list for Sony, first they need to focus on bringing back Motorstorm and/or Destruction Derby.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I think we're getting enough post-apocalyptic action-adventure games from Sony thanks.

I mean something like Persona 5 or the golden age of Final Fantasy. But definitely not a remake of The Legend of Dragoon.
I'm sure that Sony's studios can find better ways to make bank other than selling 20 different beach wear or swimsuit costume dlc's

Jan 3, 2019
I'm sure that Sony's studios can find better ways to make bank other than selling 20 different beach wear or swimsuit costume dlc's
Mostly because they already went that road and it didn't work
TlskeLQ.png

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Pretty great news day for Playstation as far as i'm concerned.....Herman Hulst a great pick for WWS head,Shu looking after indies and GG in safe hands with their new leaders.
Jimbo getting shit done....and Death Stranding out tomorrow too!

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Since the DS reviews hit, I've been tryna stay media blackout, avoiding any DS spoilers & all the takes especially the pessimistic ones surrounding it.

Just stoked to finally get Death Stranding in my hands tomorrow.

There's probably no one better suited at PlayStation than Herman Hulst to lead SIE WWS into the next generation especially with how far Guerilla Games has come from with their PS2 start to now in how they warmly welcomed & presented themselves with Kojima. And I'm glad that Shu is still sticking around too, with role that also directly reports to Jim Ryan, and allows him to focus more on indie scene that he always enjoys hanging around in whether that's in Japan, China, Singnapore, US, Finland, etc. Really exciting changes.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
giphy.gif

It seems I was right....

yes, Ang, you were pretty spot on... the difference now seems to be that Jim Ryan will be the effective "Chairman" of WWS overseeing all studio internal and external dev where Shawn was there to do so before.

They've now spun out a separation of
External Independent development with Shu reporting to Jim on those particular projects. Makes me think Sony will be taking a more active publishing stance and building out this notion with Shu before hiring someone to oversee it later in the PS5 generation as he nears Japanese retirement age.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So does all this restructuring make my dream socom reboot more likely at all even a little bit

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean who is going to do it?

most Sony studios with their freedom would rather work on their own created Ips or a new IP

I figure it doesn't have to be WWS. Can be a 2nd party who has a decent track record with online MP but still would take on a successful IP. Kinda like slant 6 but not as horrible?

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
They are old games at this point, GoW is the most valuable from the bunch, a Death Stranding bundle would have been much more appealing.
I don't know. I think people who really want to play Death Stranding will buy a PlayStation 4 even without a specific Black Friday bundle. But for people who are interested by the PlayStation 4 but haven't buy it yet, it's a great bundle, because it's include the best exclusive, the best selling game from Sony and the GOTY 2018.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Sony should make clear to all indie developers that virtually all of its IPs are "available". An good idea and some great execution can make anything happen. I'm 100% sure that there is a studio out there that can pitch and develop a new Twisted Metal, Socom, Ape Scape and so on.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
JRPG's need to make a comeback. Look at FF7 remake, it looks amazing and also FF14
I always wonder that Japan division didn't/couldn't be motivated/inspired seeing other first-party JRPGs goes 2+ to 3+ million sales???

Ironically, the SIEJA director said how important a certain JRPG series called Persona for the PlayStation platform, without even mentioning their own IPs on mobile...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I always wonder that Japan division didn't/couldn't be motivated/inspired seeing other first-party JRPGs goes 2+ to 3+ million sales???

Ironically, the SIEJA director said how important a certain JRPG series called Persona for the PlayStation platform, without even mentioning their own IPs on mobile...

That's the part that's fascinating. JRPGs have been going through some kind of rebirth the past couple of years. And yes, most of that success is localized around a couple pillar franchises like FF and Kingdom Hearts and Persona, but that doesn't mean a well-made, well-marketed RPG that isn't just a trojan horse for gross sexualization nonsense and stock high school anime tropes would automatically do badly.

It's all about presentation and market positioning. Sony of all companies has the bandwidth to pull something like this off, and if both Nintendo and bloody Microsoft are going out of their way to shore up their RPG offerings, it makes no sense that Sony's just shrugging and going "notmyproblem.gif".

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Sony should make clear to all indie developers that virtually all of its IPs are "available". An good idea and some great execution can make anything happen. I'm 100% sure that there is a studio out there that can pitch and develop a new Twisted Metal, Socom, Ape Scape and so on.

Alundra needs to be on the table. I'd like to see them approach some studio that specializes in games with high quality sprites to remake the original.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
That's the part that's fascinating. JRPGs have been going through some kind of rebirth the past couple of years. And yes, most of that success is localized around a couple pillar franchises like FF and Kingdom Hearts and Persona, but that doesn't mean a well-made, well-marketed RPG that isn't just a trojan horse for gross sexualization nonsense and stock high school anime tropes would automatically do badly.

It's all about presentation and market positioning. Sony of all companies has the bandwidth to pull something like this off, and if both Nintendo and bloody Microsoft are going out of their way to shore up their RPG offerings, it makes no sense that Sony's just shrugging and going "notmyproblem.gif".
Hereeeee we go

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

Amen, especially the bolded.

I imagine Sony probably does have some well-budgeted RPGs on the way, from either in-house and/or through collaborations.

It's just that some folks in this thread are hoping it ain't true and shooting it down at every turn; they're scared.

:V

Feb 26, 2018
Sony would never announce a game on some random day. Especially a game from Cory. Probably some side gig for him. A book or a show he is writing

Status
Not open for further replies.