• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Look, I get it, I too want adquisitions, but if Sony was shopping around we would hear rumblings. The soonest we can hope to hear about possible adquisitions IMO will be:

*Sales numbers released for Demons' Souls Remake by Bluepoint
*Reviews impress for Housemarque's AAA debut
*A Sony-Remedy team up generates a lot of buzz

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I would be shocked if BluePoint doesn't get acquired next year

especially with how Sony put them in their PS5 piece (article)

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I believe they've been hiring for it before Horizon's release but I agree HZ2 is likely due to come out first due to there being a chance that said MP title is a new IP, plus I doubt they were at full throttle for said game until recently

if anything I feel we will get a TLOU MP standalone game before GG's MP game

There not going to be full throttle on both games.
The hire more people to get games out faster .
Which means most will be working on one title and small team on the other .
Which is what happen with KZSF and HZD.

Jun 23, 2019

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
2022 for God of War Part II sounds wayyy too far

The first game released in April 2018

By Holiday 2021 it will be 3 and half years of dev time

They have all the systems ready and Sony will probably throw en even bigger budget on them for the new one

There is no reason to think it should take 4 years+

I imagine if it's over four years it's because of timing more than anything. This gen Sony has seen more success with their games outside of Gran Turismo (Of the 10 million plus sales of games like Last Of Us, Uncharted, Horizon, God Of War, Spiderman), and a small part of that is down to great timing. The formula of 2/3 major releases a year with third parties and indies, along with smaller projects covering the rest of it seems to work pretty well. Next year we will have Last Of Us Part 2 (An almost assured 10 million plus seller) and Ghost of Tsushima (A new IP, won't sell as quickly but could do well for itself and for Sucker Punch) plus launch titles for PS5.

Guerilla Games will likely have their title ready for 2021 as well, over three years since Horizon and it's expansion.

That's a heck of a lot of content, and Santa Monica will not be in any rush to get God of War 2 or a new IP out for 2021, lots of other studios will pick up the slack.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony won't acquire them for a simple reason; they are just *good* at making remakes and ports, they have yet to make an original game or IP and i don't think Sony will acquire them to use them as a "Remake/porting-only-studio".

I bet BluePoint next project after Demons Souls Remake will be an IP of their own funded by Sony

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
as much as i loved E3 2016 because of the perfect pacing, they could have held back on showing spiderman and days gone (death stranding reveal made sense even if its a super early reveal imo because of kojima hype).
they could have held TLOU2 as well.
if sony had the hindsight of release dates back then (obviously just a what if scenario for fun, not trying to say that they made a huge mistake etc. because overall the startegy of the early reveals was a positive), we would have probably seen something like:
E3 2016: reveal God of War and Death Stranding, other games that had trailers will still get those trailers, maybe fit in the gravity rush, P5 trailers etc. back in the show.
PSX 2016: reveal spiderman
E3 2017 reveal days gone
PSX 2017 reveal the last of us Part 2
E3 2018 reveal ghost of tsushima
no more major reveals, but the pacing of news cycle would still feel much better and they could probably afford to shift each trailer 1 year ahead, so with the example of TLOU2, reveal trailer in PSX 2017, second trailer in PSX 2018, gameplay demo in E3 2019, release date trailer in around january (need to remember that in the case that ND revealed TLOU2 a year later, the pressure to reveal the date would have also been lessened which means date would have probably been revealed later)
after that of course we are already in the PS5 reveal stage.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Sony won't acquire them for a simple reason; they are just *good* at making remakes and ports, they have yet to make an original game or IP and i don't think Sony will acquire them to use them as a "Remake/porting-only-studio".

We're already reaching a point where, if Sony doesn't acquire them, another company will surely do

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
as much as i loved E3 2016 because of the perfect pacing, they could have held back on showing spiderman and days gone (death stranding reveal made sense even if its a super early reveal imo because of kojima hype).
if sony had the hindsight of release dates back then (obviously just a what if scenario for fun, not trying to say that they made a huge mistake etc. because overall the startegy of the early reveals was a positive), we would have probably seen something like:
E3 2016: reveal God of War and Death Stranding, other games that had trailers will still get those trailers, maybe fit in the gravity rush, P5 trailers etc. back in the show.
E3 2017 reveal days gone
E3 2018 reveal ghost of tsushima
no more major reveals, but the pacing of news cycle would still feel much better and they could probably afford to shift each trailer 1 year ahead, so with the example of TLOU2, reveal trailer in PSX 2017, second trailer in PSX 2018, gameplay demo in E3 2019, release date trailer in around january (need to remember that in the case that ND revealed TLOU2 a year later, the pressure to reveal the date would have also been lessened which means date would have probably been revealed later)

I'm pretty sure Sony had enough hindsight regarding some titles, they already knew both GoT and TLOU 2 were 2019/2020 titles and Death Stranding, according to Kojima, was supposed to be out before Tokyo Olympics. I think announcing games 2 years before the release is acceptable, but 3 and 4 years? I sleep.

I really don't want them to have another 2016 next year by announcing 4-5 games coming in 2021 and beyond.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
the point of the next remake for bluepoint is to hire and train game designers to have capabilities in all areas of game development, after that they are going to move to doing their own IPs.
I'm pretty sure Sony had enough hindsight regarding some titles, they already knew both GoT and TLOU 2 were 2019/2020 titles and Death Stranding, according to Kojima, was supposed to be out before Tokyo Olympics. I think announcing games 2 years before the release is acceptable, but 3 and 4 years? I sleep.

I really don't want them to have another 2016 next year by announcing 4-5 games coming in 2021 and beyond.
i feel like the internal targets for stuff like TLOU2 back at reveal was somwhere along the lines of june 2019 to fall in to 6 years after TLOU1 launch, so maybe sony thought 2 and a half years would be fine, but it ended up being 3 and a half.
anyway i posted this just for fun to see what people here would have felt if this was the announcement schedule for the PS4 from E3 2016 and on.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Those descriptions fit Sony to a "T" at this point in time.

Didn't know that this was a widespread policy, in which case I don't see how Cooper can avoid that elsewhere in this industry since other major publishers will have a similar policy in place.
That policy is probably not the only reason why he left Sony. There has to be other reasons, and to be honest he never exactly said what they were, because if that policy really is the only reason, he will have a hard time in the industry. The policy is common and I believe most of the major publishers have something similar, including EA, MS, Ubisoft, Activision, Take Two, and others.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
E3 2017 reveal days gone
E3 2018 reveal ghost of tsushima and Media Molecule's Dreams
Fixed

Oct 26, 2017
the point of the next remake for bluepoint is to hire and train game designers to have capabilities in all areas of game development, after that they are going to move to doing their own IPs.

There's a big difference between remaking old games and starting a new IP tho, and making a new IP will take years even with experienced devs at the helm of the project, it's not easy.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
There are plenty of reasons for why Bluepoint could be considered
- They have built a strong relationship with Playstation fanbase
-Great track record doing remakes and remasters, which IS an asset
-With each new game they put out, they are inching closer to taking big creative liberties
-The team has big ambitions
-If Bluepoint adds new content to DeS, or makes enough changes that are well received, Sony might at some point hand the reigns of DeS and/or Bloodborne over to Bluepoint (Once they regularly make original games)
-Them being singled out by Sony in the Wired article

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
There's a big difference between remaking old games and starting a new IP tho, and making a new IP will take years even with experienced devs at the helm of the project, it's not easy.
point is that with this remake they could prove their game design skills, and as bluepoint are right now, they are cheap and seem to show great technical and art capabilities

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys imagine if at 25th year anniversary event tomorrow they announce ps5 will have full backward compatibility with 25 years of PS cataloge. Internet will melt haha. Ofcourse it wont happen but it would have been the perfect announcement

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
isn't GG way more massive now compared to the early PS4 days?

basically 2 teams now after Cambridge was closed

No .
They hire more people after HZD but they not that massive .
There around 250 people and you need more than that if you want to bring out a game in 2 or 3 years. ( even more so for a open world one )
That is why they hiring more people to bring out games faster .
Making 2 smaller teams would not allow that to happen .

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
No .
There around 250 people and you need more than that if you want to bring out a game in 2 or 3 years. ( even more so for a open world one )
I never said both games were coming out in 2 or 3 years though I just said they likely had two teams working on two separate titles while one is working on one with more people

but interesting I thought it was 300+ now and not just 250

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I never said both games were coming out in 2 or 3 years though I just said they likely had two teams working on two separate titles while one is working on one with more people

but interesting I thought it was 300+ now and not just 250

I take it when you said going full throttle at the new IP as a good amount of people \ most of the studio and not a smaller team .
My bad if you did not mean that but yeah that is what happen with KZSF and HZD bigger team and smaller team new IP.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
No .

Guerrilla should have close to (or maybe over) 400 employees near their next game release. They have 340 at the moment.

The number and speed of hirings will probably increase when they move to the new building in 2020.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Guerrilla Games to nearly double its staff with planned office move

PlayStation first-party developer Guerrilla Games is set to move into a new office, paving the way to nearly double its…

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Guerrilla should have close to (or maybe over) 400 employees near their next game release. They have 340 at the moment.

The number and speed hirings will probably increase when they move to the new building in 2020.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Guerrilla Games to nearly double its staff with planned office move

PlayStation first-party developer Guerrilla Games is set to move into a new office, paving the way to nearly double its…

It takes awhile to hire people plus where you get that 350 number from .
In the same link it's 250 permanent employees which was around 2018.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac can literally release a platformer a third person action open world game and a first person shooter all in the same gen while still doing some VR titles

their worth for Sony is immense
Yeah, gonna be a huge addition. Their output has been insane.

Insomniac's importance to the PlayStation brand, on the first party side, is probably second only to Naughty Dog.

They created one of the top PS1 mascots, a top PS2 mascot, were probably the MVP of the PS3 through its first couple years, and made one of if not PlayStation's most commercially successful game ever in Spider-Man.

Factoring in the guaranteed Spider-Man sequel, high potential for more Ratchet, the studio's VR experience, and their ability to crank out great games at a pretty fast clip, they're in my opinion the top candidate for first party MVP next generation.
Yeah.

That's great to highlight, even the challenges of PS3 development didn't really faze them, they still came out early guns blazing with both Rachet and Resistance.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
It don't make any sense using Linkedin since they is be wrong .
For eg Neil came out at said they have 350 working on TLOU and they have them as near 550 .
Even with the MP group and the ICE team ( which is small and don't work on games) they won't be 200 people more .

When GG moves to their new studio, they will become around 400 devs like Hulst said last year.

wccftech.com

Guerrilla Games Aims to Expand to 400 Developers so That It Can Release Games Faster

Guerrilla Games will move into a new, larger office that can accomodate the company's growth to 400 employees to release games faster.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
GG has been growing at a pretty strong pace, and because they are in europe, its often easier to get developers as compeition over AAA production is much less fierce.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony Santa Monica released a brand new GoW game quick. Ascension released March 2013 and in between those 5 years they had a game cancelled. If everything goes well, they can even release q1 2021.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I never said other wise plus they might or might not.
Hiring people is always a hit or miss and takes a while since i don't think they were talking about contract workers .

Might or might not ?
You believe they move to a bigger studio without getting much more devs ?

I don't think Hulst talked nonsense especially now with his new position...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Guys will we ever get another Sony 2016 e3 conference ? In my whole 33 years of gaming that will be one gaming event I will remember for the rest of my life. It was something on another level
I've rewatched this conference several times, its excellent. While 2015 brought the epic moments, 2016 was the more solid in terms of games featured - between Spidey, RE7, GOW, Horizon's extended look etc. it was a packed and well paced conference. I do hope we get another like it next gen, maybe a couple of years in and the studios are firing on all cylinders...

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
For anyone in the UK who's looking to buy some PS4 exclusives (and also multi-platform games), Monster Shop is going a bit mental right now with the discounts. They've slashed the prices on all the games in the PlayStation Hits brand and beyond. Death Stranding is being sold for £35.

Make sure you scroll down the page and the next one to see all they're offering.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Might or might not ?
You believe they move to a bigger studio without getting much more devs ?

I don't think Hulst talked nonsense especially now with his new position...

I am talking about the 400 number .
They said there aim is to get that amount but you can't be certain when that is going to happen .
Of course they going to get bigger they have been since HZD came out and that is why they making the move.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia

They have all the systems ready and Sony will probably throw en even bigger budget on them for the new one

No reason? They said that just making the boss fight took them couple of months. And they surely wanna get bigger, coz they had to cut a lot of things. I can totally see it coming in 2022 and I will be happy if they take more time. Sequel needs to go bigger in a lot of ways. And it needs a lot of people and time.You cant speed everything just by throwing more money at it. And they cant hire a 100 needed talented devs in 3 months either.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

2021 for Horizon 2 and 2022 for GoW seems reasonable imo.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are on some serious hopium if they think sequels to both God of War and Spider-Man will drop in 2021.

You can do all the calculating and comparisons to past games but you're still not accounting for a whole lotta things.

Were those games coming in 2021 that means we'd be seeing them at Sony's E3 or whatever next year... there is zero chance of that, it's too quick a turn around.

If you want the levels of polish and quality that the PS4 titles have then expect 2022 or beyond.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are on some serious hopium if they think sequels to both God of War and Spider-Man will drop in 2021.

You can do all the calculating and comparisons to past games but you're still not accounting for a whole lotta things.

Were those games coming in 2021 that means we'd be seeing them at Sony's E3 or whatever next year... there is zero chance of that, it's too quick a turn around.

If you want the levels of polish and quality that the PS4 titles have then expect 2022 or beyond.
Spider-Man was made in 3 years

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

They began full production in 2017
With characters/setting/world created + gameplay (swinging nailed, etc...) thanks to the 2 years pre-production between 2014 and 2017, a 2021 release date is likely
the project began life in late 2014, and entered "full production" in 2017

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Had this been any other studio, I'd agree. But the insomniac pipeline in terms of efficiency seems legendary.

SSO - SM was 4 Years

With the full weight of Sony behind them I think they can create SM2 within 3 years.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They began full production in 2017
With characters/setting/world created + gameplay (swinging nailed, etc...) thanks to the 2 years pre-production between 2014 and 2017, a 2021 release date is likely

Had this been any other studio, I'd agree. But the insomniac pipeline in terms of efficiency seems legendary.

SSO - SM was 4 Years

With the full weight of Sony behind them I think they can create SM2 within 3 years.

Well, if it happens great, that would be an unbelievable first year for the PS5 though.

Aug 26, 2019
Imran said that based on what he did know, he thought the game was coming earlier than expected. What I'm thinking is, Insomniac got started on a sequel earlier than expected.

He made a good point when he mentioned that Sony had Spider-Man up and running on a PS5 devkit already. And taking advantage of the new SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.