• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Siege deserves it easily.

Also nice to see PC chewing up more and more percentage. Question is, now they have a deal with Epic, will be people actually flock to the Uplay store or will revenue from PC users fall?

Personally speaking, I'm done with Ubi 'til they're back on Steam. Not gonna go giving out my financial information to every launcher under the sun. So in that case, thank heck the MTX in R6 Siege can go through Steam wallet.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really happy that siege is a resounding success still. When I was more actively playing it, it was probably the best shooter experience I've ever had.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
The growth of Ubisoft in the past 2 gens has been amazing. Not sure how they compare to EA or T2, but they're definitely a much bigger company than in their PS2 days.
Oddly - their revenue was in 2Billion range at least back in 2008, maybe earlier. While profitability is much higher now - it's actually hard to argue the company grew much in traditional market terms. Like EA - they used to have a much more dense release schedule though - which probably accounts for revenue stagnation vs. profit increases.

Oct 27, 2017
"Net bookings" is a more business approriate metric nowadays.; it's about where the money actually comes from in an age where some games do extremely well after launch and some on other hand may attract a lot of upfront sales but not be as great overall business contributors in the big picture. Not saying copies sold isn't decent metric still, but companies and investor far prefer net bookings because it's starting to be a better metric for viewing the overall business (it's more about actual money/revenue/profit than copies sold is).

Engagement however is a tricky, not only because companies may define it differently, but all it potentially says is that the company may have a lot of active users that could be leveraged to bring more money, but it's not really a hard business metric, even if it does get thrown a lot (but it has it's place, it's not just a vanity metric, even if it can be abused).

In terms of the topic, it's nice to see healthy figures from Ubisoft and even as a public company I do like their approach to the business, even if in terms of market share / overall revenue they're still quite a lot behind EA (over 5 billion in revenue) or ATVI (over 7 billion in revenue) with their less than 2 billion in revenue. Personally I feel their approach, vision and culture could deserve even better results, and as an enthusiast I would wish so (to a degree, of course, no one is perfect by any means).
If net bookings are just showing a company where their revenue is coming from, I can see why it's helpful. But isn't it lacking context though? Like if I know that 36% of my sales are coming from PS4, that's good to know. But unless I know how much product overall is being sold, wouldn't I be in the dark as an investor? Like, if sales for a product are 20 million and I'm seeing that breakdown of net bookings that's good. But, if sales overall are like 50K and I see a breakdown of net bookings like that, than I wouldn't be satisfied all all.

Don't you need the overall sales to make context for the percentages? Or am I not understanding this?

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Ubisoft has very quickly become one of my favourite publishers with The Division 1 & 2, AC: Origins & Odyssey (made AC gameplay actually interesting), and Ghost Recon: Wildlands (now one of my favourite co-op games). These are all very content-rich and exquisitely made games that have given me about 90 hours of gameplay per game. I'm still playing The Division 2 and AC: Odyssey due to new content, and I've already pre-ordered GR: Breakpoint. Also looking forward to what they have to show for Watch Dogs 3 and Beyond Good and Evil 2!

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft stated at the start of the gen they would become the master of games as service and living products, and lo, they have delivered.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm glad the Siege has multiple dedicated teams. I was getting a little worried about how much support Ubi was willing to give before that announcement.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Oddly - their revenue was in 2Billion range at least back in 2008, maybe earlier. While profitability is much higher now - it's actually hard to argue the company grew much in traditional market terms. Like EA - they used to have a much more dense release schedule though - which probably accounts for revenue stagnation vs. profit increases.
If the revenue was the same 10 years ago then with inflation the actual money has gone down in real life money huh

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
Good for them. I've personally loved most of their output recently.

Odyssey is so much better than you would think, considering its origins (ha!). They really took their Witcher 3 inspiration and ran with it, and the end result is compelling and engaging as hell. If the Viking one coming up is another straight up improvement like Origins -> Odyssey was, then holy hell, I cannot wait.

Division 2 was and still is just pretty fantastic. They've certainly had some stumbles along the way, in fact right now random disconnects seem to be all the rage. But still, the world they've build with its thick atmosphere and then the general gameplay loop... Hell of a game. Was kinda expected after Division 1 was already pretty damn strong, but still, they've brought it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i assumed Odyssey sold markedly less than Origin on virtue of of the short release gap. but glad that's not the case as it was an incredible game that took everything Origins established and ran with it.

really loving ubi games this gen. at the moment i'm shuffling between division 2 and Odyssey, having a great time. neither are perfect but it's amazing they can have this rapid an output on an AAA level without the games feeling cheap

Last edited:

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Siege's insane crow eating makes me so happy. That game was always a diamond in the rough.

Makes me hopeful of a good sequel.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, it won't happen anytime soon + I don't want it to happen anytime soon either
If they're still chasing their target of releasing 100 operators, then I'll support them to see that
After it if they wanna go ahead and make Siege 2, I'll support them also.
Would like a sequel next gen.

The biggest thing they can add is dynamic lighting, but I doubt next gen consoles can handle that. At least the movement should be updated in a sequel, or with the current game getting a big face lift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% done with Ubi games this gen (pretty, albeit mindless open world slogs with clunky menus, clunky leveling up and [mostly] wafer thin "WE'RE NOT POLITICAL, GUYS" stories). But I'm super happy Siege has done well and massive props to them for continuing to invest in games after release. It's an awesome precedent to set that I hope other publishers follow.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Would like a sequel next gen.

The biggest thing they can add is dynamic lighting, but I doubt next gen consoles can handle that. At least the movement should be updated in a sequel, or with the current game getting a big face lift
Yeah definitely next gen needs Siege 2. I don't see myself stop playing this game. A new Siege with next gen tech is going to be beautiful

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Damn .I was under impression fc5 did average lol. So what he Ltd for it ?18 million or something? In such short period

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
The Division was the biggest launch of Ubisoft history -> 330 million USD first week
FC5 is the second biggest launch of Ubisoft history -> 310 million USD first week

Far Cry 5 had better legs apparently

I remember some users saying there is zero hype for FC5 (also looks generic etc) therefore it's gonna flop.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Siege is the best multiplayer FPS I have ever played. Thanks to Ubi for cancelling Patriots and making Siege.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Nice I really dig the Far Cry games, Ghost Recon Wildlands, & Siege. Good news :)

Need to wrap up my Far Cry New Dawn play through at somepoint

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Who is surprised?

Ubi is great and understands modern gaming better than any publisher out there.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
It is amazing how they improved and shifted the perception of Siege and how they keep it going, kudos to them!

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey and Origins are great games
The division games are great
The Far Cry games are fun

Well deserved

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Congrats. Tony, Cap and Thor am celebrating with Siege too.

220px-Siege_1.jpg

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God damn at the Siege numbers, it's totally deserved though. Best competitive FPS on the market. Really glad that they're finding success with it, since it means the support ain't gonna stop for a good while 8)

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
This isn't the whole picture. Everyone predicted that uPlay sales would go through the roof once the games were removed from Steam. However, without knowing previous uPlay sales numbers it is impossible to know if the overall numbers are good, bad or mediocre.

. We already know that PC is growing for Ubisoft, not declining. That's an indicator that the Division 2 sales haven't suffered as a result of the move to Uplay.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
. We already know that PC is growing for Ubisoft, not declining. That's an indicator that the Division 2 sales haven't suffered as a result of the move to Uplay.

What a change since years past. Looking at q4 numbers, computers are the first platform for them, above ps4 and far above xbox. Such a thing seemed so impossible just a few years ago. But when you look at how they're supporting PC options in their games lately, you can see why.

Weapons wheels or list inventory is shit made for controllers that annoy pc gamers playing on mouse and keyboard. What ubisoft did with the last two Assassin Creed games and Far Cry 5 and New Dawn is they have a toogle option in the menu to use grid inventory instead. Specifically made for mouse and keyboard. In New Dawn they went even further and put another quick bar on the left where you scrool with the mouse wheel.

They've been supporting PC with specific pc features since Watch Dogs 2. Nobody does that outside of them.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Ubi knows how to keep folks coming back. Only game is skiped this gen from ubi was AC:O, the change in the AC formula was too much for me, yet i can see why people love it.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I've bought and enjoyed a lot of Ubisoft games this gen. Last one being WD2 which I even got its platinum trophy.

Glad to see that their games are selling well. Bring on WD3, Splinter Cell and AC Vikings.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Fc5 success is surprising to me. That game is video game equivalent of plain tofu.

No, that is an absolutely stellar shooter. Its far better than its precedesors, except the first one. And it changes a shitload of stuff in its gamedesign. Not many people actually seem to pick up on the details that elevate FC 5 above the other parts. People keep repeating its the same. The surprise for me was how good it actually is. Ive given up hope before properly playing the game