• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 2, 2018
Bought both FC5 n new dawn. They don't everything I like and after watch dogs2 and the Egyptian ass creed - those are titles I won't be buying again but what they do, they do well. I enjoyed my time with the far cry's a lot

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
There is no reason for a Siege 2 at the point.
There's nothing that Siege 2 can bring about right now or even in the next year or two that would justify a sequel and giving up everything that we have right now with regards to the content, the community, and esport. (And no "better destruction" is not it, the game can already do far better destruction than there is in the game but it doesn't do it because it kills the balance the game. Same for a few other things like particle effects and lighting which are actually simpler than they were at launch for balancing and playabilitypurpose).

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Man remember when Siege didn't launch great and then it turned the corner, holy shit
I remember thinking how disappointed I was going to be that such a great game was going to fail. The big talking points at the time were it was too expensive for a multiplayer only game and it was too hardcore to appeal to most people.

I am so glad Ubisoft didn't give up on it.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
The best AAA company in the biz.

The tactic to push uPlay through EGS works lol.

I agree. They had some missteps early this gen, but have been putting out very high quality the last 2 years. FC5 and New Dawn were both excellent, the long-term support of Siege transformed it from a huge flop to the best round-based competitive shooter in the market right now. Odyssey was also a very pleasant surprise. Can't wait to pick up Division 2 once it drops in price a bit.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Really impressed by their ouput. Man, AC games have stepped up to the plate hardcore.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
There is little to no reason to buy on EGS instead of Uplay. Prices are the same, Uplay supports local currency (at least over here) and has more features. Also there is almost no social component to keep you engaged on the Epic Store, so no surprise people opt to buy directly from Ubisoft.

--
"Slight move away from North American exposure. "

And their response to that was to raise the price of the "Gold" editions when comparing Breakpoint to the Division 2 by 50% in my region...

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am so glad Siege is doing well. And no, we dont need Siege 2 for at least another 2-3 years. Maybe not even then.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
There is little to no reason to buy on EGS instead of Uplay. Prices are the same, Uplay supports local currency (at least over here) and has more features. Also there is almost no social component to keep you engaged on the Epic Store, so no surprise people opt to buy directly from Ubisoft.

--
"Slight move away from North American exposure. "

And their response to that was to raise the price of the "Gold" editions when comparing Breakpoint to the Division 2 by 50% in my region...
It depends on where you are. EGS has better support for region appropriate pricing than uplay in terms of how many countries it supports.
For instance uplay in India uses the EU store with EU prices in Euro (so 60 euro standard versions pre 20% discount), standard ver of Ghost Recon and Div 2 on EGS are $42 on the other hand. The most expensive version of Breakpoint is like 100 euros on uplay whereas it's only $75 on EGS India, that's an enormous difference. The EGS store copy is basically an activation portal for a uplay copy.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
lol the turnaround form ubis point of view on PC is like when bamco found the pc market for dark souls. impressive. love their games and it is the only company form which i always buy day 1, ALL OF THEIR GAMES.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Deserved. Siege is great game as well their other titles. I always loved Ubisoft approach to trying new IPs. I even enjoyed OG Watch Dogs.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on where you are. EGS has better support for region appropriate pricing than uplay in terms of how many countries it supports.
For instance uplay in India uses the EU store with EU prices in Euro (so 60 euro standard versions pre 20% discount), standard ver of Ghost Recon and Div 2 on EGS are $42 on the other hand. The most expensive version of Breakpoint is like 100 euros on uplay whereas it's only $75 on EGS India, that's an enormous difference. The EGS store copy is basically an activation portal for a uplay copy.

Yes, if there is no regional support on the Ubi store for a region than that's one of the few cases where buying on EGS is the better choice.

Interesting thing about the prices you mentioned... at least in some regions Ubisoft appears to be adjusting them to less "tiers" for regional prices. They are also in line with prices over here (Brazil) and Russia (which means the base edition of Breakpoint is also 45% more expensive than The Division 2 over there).

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm kinda blown away that FC5 is their biggest title this gen, i thought it did "ok". glad to see a decent increase for switch as well.
happy for ubi, i think they're hands down the best western publisher, so many great games, and the most impressive variety in games out of any publisher, 1st or 3rd party.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Well deserved, Ubi is easily my favorite big publisher right now. The Division 2 is such an incredible game, and I jumped into Steep over the winter when it was snowy outside, and that's a great game as well. I can't wait to get into AC: Odyssey later this year. I've always been a fan of their games, but the last few years they've released some great games.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
The support for Siege has been insane. Investing money in that game is actually worth it. Happy for that team.

Far Cry fatigue seems to have been blown way out of proportion.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
EGS is so bad it's pushing people to the uPlay store, at least it did for me. What are the chances of Anno 1800 ever returning to Steam?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft is the best publisher this gen when it comes to supporting their games post-release while still feeling like the games are complete when launched.

Take notes, EA.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Hasty Generalisation: Era doesn't seem to care much for most Ubi games and can't understand why they are still in business.
Nice work Ubi. And no mass job cuts to achieve these results

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Ubisoft getting paid by Epic to move over customers to uPlay is one of the greatest hustles in the history of gaming.

Indeed, that's one of the most hilarious tricks I've seen in the games industry.

Because of this, in combination with Ubisofts actions against game keys and their recent limitations on uplay points, I lost most of my respect for them tho.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I feel as though Far Cry Arcade was a missed opportunity. Rather than tie it down to Far Cry 5, it should've been it's own separate entity.

Some of the maps people have made are amazing. They could've made it ftp and added little asset packs to make a little money on it. Throw in some bonus Ubi game themed assets for owners of other Ubi titles. Such a shame it's likely going to be left behind.

Jan 4, 2018
Playing AC Odyssey at the moment. haven't played AC since I dropped Black Flag and I'm having a blast. Love the genre shift so far. And Far Cry 5 was also a ton of fun. Haven't and probably won't touch Siege since it's not my thing, but I might even pick up The Division 2 down the road despite not being hugely captivated by the first game.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it sounds good, but I prefer hard sales numbers like 4.5 millions copies sold.

"Net bookings" in percentages and "engagement" is just hard for me to really wrap my head around what type of real world sales number that would actually mean.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Yves gonna be drinkin some wine tonight lmao these numbers are crazy.

That Epic deal is genius tbh getting paid to increase Uplay players what is there not to love about it lmao

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta give it to Ubisoft, they supported the hell out of siege and it paid off. Their a solid game company for sure, and I can't think of s legit "bad" game they've released

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it sounds good, but I prefer hard sales numbers like 4.5 millions copies sold.

"Net bookings" in percentages and "engagement" is just hard for me to really wrap my head around what type of real world sales number that would actually mean.

Welcome to corporate talk 101, use whatever metric you can to show positive results. Remember how EA said for Anthem that people already spent 150M hours in game (or something like that)?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Ubisoft are probably my favourite Dev this gen after Sony. They had a rocky start but it's just been game after game I like to play. Legends, long may it last!

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
"Net bookings" is a more business approriate metric nowadays.; it's about where the money actually comes from in an age where some games do extremely well after launch and some on other hand may attract a lot of upfront sales but not be as great overall business contributors in the big picture. Not saying copies sold isn't decent metric still, but companies and investor far prefer net bookings because it's starting to be a better metric for viewing the overall business (it's more about actual money/revenue/profit than copies sold is).

Engagement however is a tricky, not only because companies may define it differently, but all it potentially says is that the company may have a lot of active users that could be leveraged to bring more money, but it's not really a hard business metric, even if it does get thrown a lot (but it has it's place, it's not just a vanity metric, even if it can be abused).

In terms of the topic, it's nice to see healthy figures from Ubisoft and even as a public company I do like their approach to the business, even if in terms of market share / overall revenue they're still quite a lot behind EA (over 5 billion in revenue) or ATVI (over 7 billion in revenue) with their less than 2 billion in revenue. Personally I feel their approach, vision and culture could deserve even better results, and as an enthusiast I would wish so (to a degree, of course, no one is perfect by any means).

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

These numbers are why I'm not so worried as the Xbox doom and gloom crew in PAL charts threads. I've been following them for years and dont understand why sales enthusiasts dont publicize these figures more as they are really great and unique, we get both platform share breakdowns and geographical region breakdowns. I sure hope Ubi continues to give them out but they've shown no signs of stopping for years. Although I'm sure a bunch of sales agers can start fighting over them and get them to stop ala NPD lol. So yeah never mind ignore these :)

Ubisoft is global (truly a publisher with global appeal), their numbers include every market, every single country worldwide, and include digital. Xbox has been trucking along healthily/fine, and is generally at somewhat less than a 2:1 ratio with PS4 software (which is less than the global hardware disparity which should be PS4 by >2:1). Heck if you want to suss out any trend, for example over the past year over year both PS4 and Xbox share fell, but Xbox fell less (But I think these are just random fluctuations, probably not really a trend). I guess you can note Ubisoft less than fully captures Japan sales obviously, but western games seem to be doing better there, and besides I'd suggest Japan is a bit of unimportant market to western pubs by very virtue of being silo-d. And it looks like Switch is not doing great for Ubi, I have no real comment except Nintendo games sell on NIntendo platforms as I've been saying. The other notable is of course PC looks strong lately, again not sure if a real trend or a fluctuation.

Also, wish I had bough Ubi stock 5 years ago LOL (+498% according to their chart). But like the other game stocks it looks like the big run is over, and it's who knows going forward.

Last edited: