• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
This looks good, but every time I see it it makes me sad that Sleeping Dogs is dead ;(

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
www.cnet.com

Hands on with kung-fu game Sifu, where you can grow old and die before finishing your quest

The martial arts action brawler coming to PlayStation 5 and PC on Feb. 8 balances slick combat with a thoughtful, yet brutal approach to player progression.

This preview is positive, but wasn't quite sold on the aging system.

While I like the concept of aging in Sifu, which fits well into the game's themes, this demo left me doubtful about its execution in the actual gameplay. Given the unforgiving nature of the combat, it can be easy to land in some situations where you have little room for error. During my second run of the demo, a battle I was able to finish in my first attempt easily, turned into a chaotic and intense bout that downed my character three times. By the end of the fight, my character had aged nearly a decade. Knowing that aging is permanent in Sifu, hitting a wall during a run through the game left me feeling a bit frustrated at how brutal failure can be.

Perhaps this was due to the nature of a short demo that's essentially just an isolated chunk of the game, but I often felt like I was getting annoyed with the coupling of the unforgiving combat and the permanent penalty of adding years to your character. I might feel more at ease with it in the final game and how it might better communicate and present these clashing mechanics. For now, though, it did come off as an overarching layer that seemed more of a hindrance than something to encourage better play.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
From Sifu's fluid, authentic-looking combat I can see why the game has been highly anticipated since its announcement: kung fu combat like this just doesn't exist in video games right now. Plus, with a generation of gamers growing up on Chow Yun-fat, Jackie Chan, and Jet Li movies, the streets were aching for a proper kung fu / martial arts combat game. From what I've seen, Sifu fills that long overdue need.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn son

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Do hope the AI can be improved abit. Alot of standing arround from them or not reacting on things

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Slowclap are able to fix some of the gameplay quirks EZA are talking about before release, it looks so damn good.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
www.cnet.com

Hands on with kung-fu game Sifu, where you can grow old and die before finishing your quest

The martial arts action brawler coming to PlayStation 5 and PC on Feb. 8 balances slick combat with a thoughtful, yet brutal approach to player progression.

The aging system is the one part of the game that worries me. Not enough for me to skip it, but it sounds like a pretty punishing element that I'm not sure it really needs. Curious to see how it works in to the full game.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
This is up there as the raddest looking game of 2022.

The music man, it's so good.

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
playing Absolver I always though the combat system would make for a great pve system so I'm pretty stoked for this

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
This just continues to look amazing.

I wanted to love Absolver but the PVP was a big turn off. This looks right up my alley!

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
Man looks so good but....everytime I try roguelites I end up checking out due to the repetition. Just not a genre I enjoy. I will probably get it on sale.

Dec 6, 2017
US
One of my most anticipated games. This is the 3D brawler I've been waiting for between the incredibly detailed and deep combat system and all the environmental shenanigans. It definitely looks like it has some small issues but...the shit that looks good looks REALLY GOOD

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
Nice will look at some of them later.
Game has my interest from the first showing and it has been looking better with each showing.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hitstop in both this and Absolver looks so weird. I really need a demo to figure out for myself if combat feels good.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
First look from Materwelonz. She translates stuff at the Wuguan and plays through it a couple of times.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
It looks fantastic! I was a bit worried about readablity of impacts but watching the Easy Allies preview it looks fine.

They mentioned using items and environment interaction can be wonky, but that seems like something that can be fixed and improved by time of release.

Super excited! PS5 having an embarrassment of riches in 2022 😅

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
www.cnet.com

This is really weird. Aging is NOT a penalty. Your damage increases when you age. Your overal HP lowers. You can also get different upgrade during the levels depending on your age. Reads like a preview by someone who rushed through the demo once.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I remember getting really into Absolver and wanting to love it, but ultimately the complexity outpaced accessibility and fun. It sounds like Sifu is the perfect Absolver 2.0. They really learned what worked and what didn't.