• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
inb4 "Not like that's a high bar" or "here comes the FO76 revision threads"

tenor.gif

Anyway, let me preface this thread by saying a few things to get a sense of where I'm coming from:
1)I played ~90 hours of Fallout 4 on release. I "beat" it, and came to the conclusion that it was my least favorite Bethesda game and overall a mediocre game. I never played the DLC, which I heard included one actually decent expansion. I replayed it with mods on PC about a year ago, with emphasis on survival mechanics, and really enjoyed the 30 or so hours I did re-exploring the map, but dropped it pretty hard after some time. I played about 70 hours of FO76 within the first few weeks of the game's launch. I stopped somewhere at the beginning of December last year. I cannot speak to the game's current state, but I can speak to how I feel about the time I spent playing it. After 6 months of sitting on it, I still feel positive overall about my time with the game, and with the things I thought it did well.

2) Now, I can defend parts of this game because there are aspects of it which I like; what I can't defend is Bethesda's activity as a company surrounding the game. But there have been a myriad of threads about that already so I'm not going to cover that here.

3) If you had to ask, I would still place 3 above either this game or 4 in terms of how much I enjoyed it at the time of playing, and Obsidian's New Vegas even exponentially higher above 3. That being said, you can enjoy multiple things for different reasons without having to tear down the others.

Now, I think 76's map is genuinely great on an environmental design and artistic level. The variety of environments, as well as the overall quality and level of detail of the design, is genuinely impressive and I believe surpasses 3, 4, and even New Vegas. Yes, you read that correctly. Here are some examples, all screenshots taken by me:

One thing Fallout 4 had, to varying degrees of quality, was a relatively dense map with a lot to do. Fallout 76, despite lacking NPC's, actually has a LOT of content to uncover pretty much everywhere you go. On top of that, the notable enemy variety (as well as enemy design) and environmental storytelling is almost forced to be at a higher mark than normal due to the game's core design being so oddly restrictive about keeping those previously seen elements out. The game's loose framing of following in your Overseer's tracks around the map adds a cohesion to the world that reminds not only the player, but the developers too, of how each of these areas once interacted with and continue to influence each other, before and after the bombs, respectively. One actual faction questline in the game involving a sisterhood named the Order of Mysteries, I think, is a standout storyline not only in 76 but in Bethesda's entire catalogue.

It involves following the life of a middle-aged actress named Shannon Rivers, whose beloved role as the "Mistress of Mystery" in the radio adaptation of the fictional "Silver Shroud" comic book series was the highlight of her career before the War. Through audio logs and journal entries, you hear Shannon's account of dealing with producers and Hollywood executives in creating a more inspiring and positive depiction of her character (who's often sexualized and pushed as Silver Shroud's femme fatale foil), all while pushing herself to fulfill the role as best and as faithfully as she can. Shannon is eventually told that the radio show is going to be adapted into a live-action adaptation, but due to her age and despite the commitment with which she trained herself to play the role, she'll be ousted in favor of a younger and "more attractive" actress. She sees her career hit a wall and this opens up deep vulnerability in her character which the narrative delves into. Due to Fallout satirizing mid-20th century Americana and its cultural impact, it's no mystery what this questline has to say about those themes of entrenched mysoginy and exploitation which come with the setting. It would take a while to summarize, and I'd rather not openly spoil it.

Anyway, once the bombs hit, Shannon and her husband Fred (a RobCo engineer) struggle to raise their young daughter Olivia in a world ravaged by the war. Due to her dedication as an actor, Shannon finds that she is able to use her skills in stunt-training and basic survival techniques, as well as her husband's engineering abilities, to create a relatively safe home in their sprawling Riverside Manor (seen in the final screenshot I provided), which the player stumbles upon as a start to the questline. This comes to a head when the family confronts a group of bandits and rescues a group of orphaned girls. Months go by, and Shannon raises the girls on their estate as her own. After repeated struggle and hardship, her altruism sparks the idea in Shannon's head that she is capable of fulfilling the role of a hero that she previously only had served as in fiction, and that it's her responsibility to use her abilities to help others in the apocalypse. Fred, using blueprints and materials he had on hand from his time as an engineer, had built numerous items to help fulfill her role as the Mistress. This eventually resulted in an underground hideout below the Manor, pretty much like the BatCave. With this headquarters, Shannon decides to take on the girls as her proteges and raise them to be a group of highly-trained scouts, assassins, and survivalists modeled after the Mistress of Mystery, for the purpose of saving what little good is left in Appalachia, especially from opportunists and raiders who prey on the weak and take advantage of the destruction the war brought. She creates the "Order of Mystery" as an organization to take in, train, and divide responsibility among her daughters, and other young women in need who join, in completing various missions. Over the next decade, they stop bandits from overtaking the region, deal with some of the areas most dangerous creatures, and generally help to save those in need, but only when absolutely necessary in order to remain hidden in safety from within their seemingly decrepit manor.

The player follows in the footsteps of some of the sisters, listening to their stories and retracing the steps taken on their missions in tracking down important items and gadgets that they will repair in order to become fully-fledged members of the Order (regardless of the player's gender, though the system assumes the player is female due to an override). This search takes the player on a journey through vastly different areas of the map, and includes delving into abandoned government sites filled with robot protectors, corpse infested towns overtaken by radioactive creatures, and city-scapes wracked by flooding and decay. These items include a sword, pistol, EMP disruptor, and clothing that allowed the sisterhood to traverse in dangerous environments while remaining stealthy and protected. Through audio logs and journal entries, the player learns that over time, a sense of resentment grew in Olivia as her mother's heroic idealism and strictness drove a wedge in their mother/daughter relationship. Due to not wanting to appear to play favorites with her own biological daughter, Shannon often dismisses Olivia's concerns of their group being overly passive and misguided, all while Olivia continually proves herself to be the most capable member of the Order. Eventually, one of of the girls (now young women) disappears and dies while away on mission. This loss shakes the foundation of the sisterhood, and further drives Olivia from her mother. Issues with the group's missions become more and more frequent over time as the Order's activity seems to draw the attention of the surrounding bandit groups. (Coming across one of the corpses of the sisters also prompts this faction questline for the player as an alternative to finding the manor). Shannon is racked with guilt and driven to desperation as her adopted daughters begin to die under her watch. Olivia fights with her mother over how to deal with the situation, and disappears. It is later revealed that Olivia had made a secret deal with a Bandit named Brody Torrence, who was her childhood friend, to join up and take over the Bandit group he belonged to in exchange for minimizing the Order's interference with Bandit activity in Appalachia by feeding them information about their plans. Olivia would use this to insert herself into the Bandits, and usurp leadership in order to bring stability to the region with outright force as opposed to her mother's method of covert and limited influence. Brody took advantage of Olivia's trust, and used it to hunt down Olivia's sisters rather than outmaneuver them as Olivia assumed he would. Olivia's disappearance is revealed to be out of anger and regret for her betrayal.

The rest of the Order is hunted down until it is just Shannon, who is nearly broken by the collapse of her family, and the destruction which she feels her actions, inspired by her role as a fictional character, have wrought in the harsh and unforgiving reality of their post-nuclear world. But, if you've been paying attention, this new barbed-wire and mutant infested reality fueled by the atom isn't the one which really drove this destruction on Shannon and her daughters. It was the pre-War reality, the manipulative and implacable reality of Hollywood's identity-distorting machine, fueled by exploiting dreams and fiction, which would eventually annihilate hers.

Olivia contacts her mother, and reveals her betrayal, and asks for them to meet in a beloved camping spot from her childhood that Shannon promised but failed to take Olivia to just before the bombs fell due to obligations to her role as the Mistress of Mystery. Using inference from one of the earliest journal entries in a computer found among the rubble of Olivia's room in the manor, the player discovers this to be Seneca Falls, a distinct landmark in the world. When arriving, the player will find Olivia and Shannons' corpses embracing one another, and discovers that the two were ambushed by Brody after a fight ensued among themselves, which ended with Olivia defeating her mother. They die together, realizing the mistakes they made which drove their conflicting ideals.

This is what I had to say in the OT at the time I completed it:

Can't say enough how much I loved the Order of Mysteries. It's a fantastic story. It's seriously a diamond in the ocean of garbage this game is being drowned by.

The environmental storytelling, even if blunt and exercised with straightforward means such as holotapes/terminal entrees, is overflowing in this game. If you're just following the diamond quest marker on your screen you're seriously depriving yourself of some of Bethesda's most narratively rewarding exploration and world-design.

The corporate espionage depicted in the Motherlode, the clandestine experimental disasters at Vault-Tec University, Garrahan's Mansion, the Red-Scare inspired backdrop of the Welch Workers' Strike and depiction of globalization and automation in a retrofuturistic West Virginia runnning out of coal, SIGINT Headquarter's and covert US government activity in trying to find Chinese interference to blame in its aging and decaying institutions... every single place not only has an interesting backstory with compelling characters behind them, but are often interconnected in ways you wouldn't expect by putting the pieces together over time and connecting the dots from environment clues.

It's seriously great. I had thrown this game under the bus after the first hour and a half but co-op with some coworkers kept me stuck in, until we had chanced across a vault which took us all the way to Morgantown to investigate and it demonstrated some of the environmental storytelling that the game had to offer. After that, I've been hunting down anything of interest simply at a whim and have more often than not gotten a great story out of it on top of whatever albeit rote gameplay loop is included.

Overall, despite the massive glaring issues of the game, I enjoyed my time with 76 much more than I did with 4. Yes, its already paltry claim as an RPG are basically completely gone with the card system and lack of dialogue or NPC's (there's one travelling Super Mutant merchant but that doesn't really count), but in terms of moment to moment gameplay, there's a greater variety in what you're actually doing, even compared to New Vegas. You're scrounging materials for use because they actually are important, water/hunger and radiation is something you actually have to pay attention to, and even caps or ammunition is not something you can basically just forget about after a few hours, at least not until much later than in other Fallouts. On top of that, discouraging fast travel by making it cost caps forces the player to actually engage with the world more often, which is chalk full of encounters and environmental mysteries. Now, don't get this misconstrued with me saying I think it has better overall gameplay than New Vegas, or maybe even 3, but the retention it draws from the player in its "small-picture" design is definitely higher than those predecessors, which consisted of running (without mods to sprint)/fast travelling to locations to shoot things or make an ability check, which is ultimately just choosing a dialogue option.

I don't know if Fallout 76 as it is now is worth your time, or if it will somehow be turned around to become a genuinely great game with the upcoming patches and expansions, but it's a game that I went into expecting to hate, and came out enjoying for some things that it does really well. After seeing what Bethesda has in store for the game at E3, which albeit comes across like an Onion article in the form of "NOW INTRODUCING: DIALOGUE OPTIONS AND ACTUAL NPC's", I have hope that it can eventually match the quality of some of the few aspects about it that I think are worth remarking.

Last edited:

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
The premise sounds interesting, avoiding the spoiler section in case I ever decide to play Fallout 76, it's the delivery device that has me disinterested. I don't really want stories told to me through audio logs and notes found in the world.

Jun 12, 2018
Looks like you put a lot of work on this, so I just want to warn you to expect a lot of people in this thread to form an opinion without having actually played the storyline in question themselves due to 76's unpopularity.

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The premise sounds interesting, avoiding the spoiler section in case I ever decide to play Fallout 76, it's the delivery device that has me disinterested. I don't really want stories told to me through audio logs and notes found in the world.
For many cases, the format hinders whatever narrative is trying to be told through audio logs, but in the specific case of the Order of Mysteries questline, it's integrated into the story that elevates it and has actual payoff. It's one of the few specific cases of audio log/journal entry design in general that I think actually benefits from the format.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought it on PC when I saw it on Amazon for $17 recently. Told myself, "what the hell."

I like 76 much more than I do 4. It's been fun so far and am excited for the next big update in the fall.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Easily the best art, map design, and enemy designs from the Bethesda fallout games. Too bad everything else was... lacking to say the least. Let's hope they can pull a NMS/FF14 and completely turn this ship around like they want.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Came in here expecting Mistress of Mystery and glad to see that, sure enough, OP mentions it. It's so great! FO76 has a lot of solid storytelling that was executed really well, especially considering the constraints but MoM was the highlight for me.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I only spent an hour or two with it during the free week, but I actually had a good time with the exploration aspect. The map seems huge and varied, which wasn't quite the case with F4

If there was a bit more meat on its bones in regards to narrative, I might have bought it, but my backlog is too big at the moment for a "background" game of this scale

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I haven't played FO76 yet, and was hoping it could be something worth hopping into with Wastelanders.

How you describe the Order of Mysteries is how I envisioned a lot of quests going when they first announced the game. I look forward to going into the game with open eyes whenever I do make the plunge.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've been interested with 76 since the initial reveal and want to at least try it. But when the game launch, all you hear is the bugs along and I don't want to deal with that.

Is it better now?

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Totally agree. The world is really interesting and imo strong enough that it makes a playthrough worthwhile if you like the basic concepts of exploring, scavenging, crafting.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I miss Fallout and you guys are selling me the game. I will probably pick it up when it's 20 or so.

Discovering how fun Agents of Mayhem is after buying it on deep sale, I honestly would paid 60 if I knew I will have fun with it, made me rethink my approach to badly reviewed games in general

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
76 does West Virginia good. A lot of the locations feel authentic to their irl counterparts, even if they're very heavily condensed (Charleston, Morgantown, Beckley, etc.). The world as a whole just really nails the WV vibe I think, and it's great to just explore.

I've been meaning to get back into it now that it's gotten updates. Really feeling the itch after reading this thread...

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
thanks for the write-up, that was good work. i wanna give it a shot one day, because i did enjoy that exploration/scavanging/upgrade gameplay loop in fo4, and i know fo76 does all that even better. but all the mp stuff just keeps me away and puts me off... maybe if it's eventually on gamepass or something

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with OP

That particular questline (Mistress of Mystery) was one of the few in 76 that had me hooked from start to finish

Very fun and twisty narrative though I will say it ended a tad predictably. Still the journey to get to the ending was awesome

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
76 does West Virginia good. A lot of the locations feel authentic to their irl counterparts, even if they're very heavily condensed (Charleston, Morgantown, Beckley, etc.). The world as a whole just really nails the WV vibe I think, and it's great to just explore.

I've been meaning to get back into it now that it's gotten updates. Really feeling the itch after reading this thread...

Yes, yes, yes! The Charleston capitol building is so well done. I drove past that building every single day growing up, and seeing it in a video game was just wonderful. I wasn't into the game when it first came out and was disappointed it was so bug-ridden, because it is one of the few AAA games that featured WV so prominently (even if it is post-apocalyptic haha). Now I'm happy to see it has improved so much, and I truly enjoy exploring the areas that I knew growing up :)

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, yes, yes! The Charleston capitol building is so well done. I drove past that building every single day growing up, and seeing it in a video game was just wonderful. I wasn't into the game when it first came out and was disappointed it was so bug-ridden, because it is one of the few AAA games that featured WV so prominently (even if it is post-apocalyptic haha). Now I'm happy to see it has improved so much, and I truly enjoy exploring the areas that I knew growing up :)
I think a large part of why the game appeals to me at all is because of the setting tbh. Exploring the city where I live in a video game isn't something I'd been able to do prior to 76, and the fact that the state as a whole was realized so well in it is just really, really cool. I never cared much for Fallout before 76, but I wonder how much of that was because of the settings-- having the Fallout gameplay systems in a place like West Virginia just clicked for me. (Some of it may be bias though, I guess)

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think Fallout 76 will be marked by its absurd launch for some time to go, but it really is nice to see that some can stick to it and find enjoyment. Somewhere down the line, I might give it a shot, but I've never been a fan of Bethesda's open worlds. However, I suppose this could be a shift in opinion, whenever I get around to it.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I miss Fallout and you guys are selling me the game. I will probably pick it up when it's 20 or so.

Discovering how fun Agents of Mayhem is after buying it on deep sale, I honestly would paid 60 if I knew I will have fun with it, made me rethink my approach to badly reviewed games in general
$17 on Walmart. $20 for collectors edition.

I liked it and it is in a much better state now than it was at launch.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

This makes me happy. Thank you.

context: I was the Lead Agent Designer on AoM

Last edited:

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Great post

Sometimes i think about the possibility of fo76 going f2p and having some sort of data mining employed with the data being used as the basis of another vault in a new game.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played 76 but from those screenshots alone it absolutely surpases all the other Fallout games in terms of map design (from an artistic pov)
I do have to note that it also cheats a bit because obviously depicting a nuked landscape really limits the amount of interesting flora you can put down while a world that has just been sprinkled with magic radiation dust can obviously be more diverse.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I think it is a far more interesting setting than Boston and DC. There are a lot of complaints that Fallout 76 deserve but the world design was fantastic, layouts made sense, the enemies were unique and original, and finding all the notes and messages left over from those that left the area was haunting. Not to mention it was visually the most beautiful. I found it worth a playthrough just on that alone.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agreee on the points about world design, but as for the gameplay? It all comes back to staring at the inventory management screen 60% of the time in these games. A screen that is poorly designed and not well organized to boot.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the worst games to release this generation... some poor bastard may now give it a shot (under the impression that there is something of value here). You are a villain, OP.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The story sounds really cool OP.

I did try 76 in beta and tried it on the trial week last week and was not feeling it. I do agree that the map is well designed, and looks great, but it just feels empty, and the multiplayer feels like a hindrance to me. When I tried it, I would read a terminal that the friends I was playing with already read, and they were like "Hurry up". Or if I am solo, people might run up and start talking to me while I'm reading or listening to a recording. The lack of NPCs just makes it feel even more empty.

I think if they made this a legitimate single player Fallout game instead of this multiplayer thing, I think it could have been great on this map. The stuff they announced for that NPC update doesn't inspire confidence as it looked like the NPCs were just standing there glued to the same spot, and I doubt you can kill them or anything.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I've heard more people say this and I have the game myself as well, just haven't really played it a lot yet. I find it a huge shame that they didn't just make this a singleplayer game, that way we would have had actual proper VATS, which is something I miss a great deal now because the real-time shooting just isn't super great and VATS is superb.

But also the tons of terminals with so much to read, normally no problem, but there also include the things NPCs otherwise would have said. Had they made 76 like their previous Fallout games it would have sold like hotcakes. Just look at 4.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I also really liked the game's aesthetic, it's clear that 76 was kneecapped by being multiplayer. Everything that's wrong with it originates in it's forced shared world and always online requirement.

Saddest thing is that the devs were likely perfectly capable of being Bethesda Maryland's "B-Team" and producing excellent singleplayer spinoff games to satiate fans during the agonizing wait between main titles. Instead, they've been stigmatized by multiple failed projects and are now likely facing an uncertain future.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
imagine if this game just... released as a 3-player co-op Fallout game.
instead of as Bethesda's newest cynical vehicle by which to funnel paying consumers into a shitty microtransaction shop.

just imagine.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think a large part of why the game appeals to me at all is because of the setting tbh. Exploring the city where I live in a video game isn't something I'd been able to do prior to 76, and the fact that the state as a whole was realized so well in it is just really, really cool. I never cared much for Fallout before 76, but I wonder how much of that was because of the settings-- having the Fallout gameplay systems in a place like West Virginia just clicked for me. (Some of it may be bias though, I guess)
Absolutely!

It's just nice seeing a game set in WV that isn't just "Hurhur, banjos, hurhur incest". I mean obviously the overall setting is post-nuclear fallout (as are all the cities in Fallout games) and is pretty crazy, but the actual environment and architecture and such is so well done and true to the cities in the state, even if they're a bit condensed.