• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK

When everybody plays, we all win. From the beginning of development of Forza Horizon 5, the team at Playground Games prioritized accessibility features. The latest feature coming to the accessibility menu for Forza Horizon 5 is one that very few video games have offered: American Sign Language (ASL) and British Sign Language (BSL) support.

In this video, Microsoft's Chief Accessibility Officer, Jenny Lay-Flurrie, discusses this milestone and the importance of ensuring everyone can experience games in a way that works best for them. Joining Jenny are Mike Brown, Forza Horizon 5's Creative Director at Playground Games, Cameron Akitt, a teacher of deaf and hard of hearing young people, Michael Anthony, a Software Engineer at Microsoft and on the steering committee for Gaming & Disability at Xbox, and Chris Robinson (aka DeafGamersTV).

ASL and BSL support will be available in over 300 cinematics in Forza Horizon 5 starting on March 1, 2022 via a content update to the game.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
This was announced end of last year but great to see it coming tomorrow and also well worth watching the 7min video explaining the journey.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
MS making accessibility such a big focus has been such a great thing for the industry as a whole, with more and more companies helping to improve things in general.

Long may it continue, and get better and better for all!

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
MS making accessibility such a big focus has been such a great thing for the industry as a whole, with more and more companies helping to improve things in general.

Long may it continue, and get better and better for all!

Real question and pardon my ignorance. How/why does this replace simple text on screen/subtitles?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Real question and pardon my ignorance. How/why does this replace simple text on screen/subtitles?
The video goes into it, there are substantial differences between written English and sign languages such that native ASL/BSL speakers have to do extra work to interpret captions and this can distract from the enjoyment of the game.

This is one hell of a feature. It's heartening to me that AAA dollars are being spent to lead the way on accessibility features far beyond what anybody else is attempting in the space.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The video goes into it, there are substantial differences between written English and sign languages such that native ASL/BSL speakers have to do extra work to interpret captions and this can distract from the enjoyment of the game.

This is one hell of a feature. It's heartening to me that AAA dollars are being spent to lead the way on accessibility features far beyond what anybody else is attempting in the space.
The first person in the video explains it a bit, it's two different languages.

So basically if your first language is ASL (in this case), you still need to process the text in English.

Okay, thank you!

Akalance

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I have never considered that the spoken/written language would be a deaf person's second language. In hindsight, it makes perfect sense that interpreters would be more comfortable to read.

So glad to see accessibility features become a serious focus in games the last few years.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
This is extremely cool. I would love to see more of this kind of thing in the future--it was undoubtedly not cheap to produce but AAA studios absolutely have the resources to make this a standard

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, this is great. Microsofts pushes for a11y are sorely needed in the medium (avid XAC user here). I wonder if eventually we could have 3d characters do the signing without the need for a video-captured overlay, but since the video said it relies on many subtle cues, I guess we're not quite there yet...
Incredible nontheless and should be the standard for coming big-budget titles!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is AMAZING. Would love to see more of this in other games. Sign language support is absolutely different to subtitles.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Also not sure if I missed it, but a lot of SL you use your visual peripheries to interpret it. It's actually bad form to just stare at someone's hands, so this could help not having to just stare at text as well.

Is this the first AAA game to incorporate sign language?

Everyone should learn sign language at school IMO.
Hard agree. It was one of my favorite languages to learn and it could be incredibly useful for everyone just to have some understanding of it. It's really great when you encounter someone that is hard of hearing (and knows ASL) and can communicate easily with them. It'd also make driving so much more enjoyable, just to be able to sign to other drivers instead of just the ONE sign people use.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I have never considered that the spoken/written language would be a deaf person's second language. In hindsight, it makes perfect sense that interpreters would be more comfortable to read.

So glad to see accessibility features become a serious focus in games the last few years.
Same here, I just never considered that written text would be harder for a deaf person than it would be for me, but it makes sense. It goes to show how just knowing about other people's condition/culture/etc is one thing while experiencing it is completely different.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
This is cool as fuck. Accessibility should be at the forefront of every studio's minds and Microsoft has been doing fantastic with pushing it. Hope more developers take note of stuff like this. I know a very minimal amount of sign language but it'd be cool to learn more one day.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing to see this, and brought me to tears. Absolutely worth everyone's time to watch through it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Same here, I just never considered that written text would be harder for a deaf person than it would be for me, but it makes sense. It goes to show how just knowing about other people's condition/culture/etc is one thing while experiencing it is completely different.

Also great for younger people. Kids start learning sign language young and it can far easier than quickly moving written English for younger kids that are hard of hearing.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I didn't realize ASL was so much different from English. In addition to this accessibility push generally allowing more people to play and fully enjoy games, I think it's really educational for everyone (myself included) who just assumed subtitles were enough of a solution for something like this.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
The first person in the video explains it a bit, it's two different languages.

So basically if your first language is ASL (in this case), you still need to process the text in English.

And if you're not watching it, they've got BSL too, which is considerably more different from ASL than the 2 respective audio/written Englishs are.

I do see one issue they don't go into, Forza has a tendency to dispense exposition "mid-flight" as it were. I'm hoping there's a way to pause the game to see it because attempting to set a 3 star time while watching it. Also a problem with subtitles as well but it feels more so in this case.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
This was great. I love these companies that are paving the path. The truth is that it's not easy to do accessibility right and someone needs to bite the bullet and then be an open resource for other studios . Great on Microsoft for pushing this so hard (and all the other studios, like Naughty Dog).