• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Impressive, to say the least!
http://www.enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/
Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition is a collection of enhancement packages that add various visual, audio, and bug improvements for the PC version of the game. Notable examples of what the enhancements improve on is the use of a widescreen camera in the game; higher display resolutions; removal of prominent audio bugs; PlayStation 2 quality audio and fog; better controller support; and much more. The use of these enhancement packages, made by a collaborative team of wonderful modders and programmers, makes for a definitive Silent Hill 2 HD experience.

Nov 21, 2017
Just played silent hill 2 for the first time using the backwards compatibility on my old 360.

Was riddled with bugs (one was game breaking). Should have done something like this. Oh well.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great but what Id really need is Silent Hill 3. 2 doesnt have much need of HD as everything is a murky desaturated blur either way.

3's hyper dynamic and animated textures deserve good HD though

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
h6E723233

Doing what Konami wouldn't. Adore this game.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I got annoyed for a second, thinking this was an actual official release, then I realized it's the PC mods and fixes I had installed myself two months ago^^

All of these have been available for a long time but I guess it's nice to give them a push, especially considering how relatively often we get "should I play the HD collection" questions.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, eBay prices are not kind. Why can't my PS2 disc work with these mods, damnit?!

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't watched the whole video but is it really an enhanced video ? The first few seconds of the parking lot is an overly bright area and the fog is mostly gone.

PS2, taken from youtube so expect a quality drop

sdfgdrfgxmehk.png

PC from the video too

segdfgfdgrreso.png

He looks like he's going for a mid-day walk

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
Good stuff. Only thing missing now, that I can think of, are soft shadows.

Great but what Id really need is Silent Hill 3. 2 doesnt have much need of HD as everything is a murky desaturated blur either way.

3's hyper dynamic and animated textures deserve good HD though

Silent Hill 3 had an excellent PC port.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I've watched it all, they did an excellent work all around. I guess there's less qualms about playing the PC version now, though it seems PS2 still has much more going for it.

The fog fix is impressive though

Did they reinstate the music in the hotel ? I know one music was gone in the PC version and it was so dumb

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Funny, I just reinstalled this yesterday.

Interestingly enough, I got Silent Hill 2 to work fine for the most part with mods, but trying to get Silent Hill 3 running flawlessly on my PC has been a bit difficult. I can't get the game to capture my mouse, even in fullscreen with the necessary mods. I had to install an entirely separate program + reconfigure my monitor setup just so that I wouldn't accidentally minimize the game due to the cursor moving out of frame when I was trying to quickly turn in combat.

That being said, Silent Hill 2 "enhanced" really does look and run pretty great once you get everything installed. It's only getting better as time passes.

Pixel_Cowboy

Feb 4, 2018
Last month, I played Silent Hill 2 using all the mods from that site. I had the game on my backlog for the last 15 years, but the wait was worth it. The game is glorious and must be experienced.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Very impressive. Does it work with Xinput controllers?. I remember setting one in 3 was a real pain.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
This is pretty cool, though I thought SH2 and 3 on PC were supposedly really hard to mod because of the way the game/engine were made?

Fix me with Durante if inaccurate.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for this game to get an RE2-level of remake.
If anything deserves the re2make treatment,, it's the first game. 2 doesn't need anything else as it's already at it's best.

a SH1 remake with more unique monster designs and a revamped story to better fit SH3's additions would turn a game that didnt age well into a masterpiece.

Also Cybil deserves her own campaign

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Oh sweet, lets see how much copies are.
Well shiet, With prices like this i'm better off playing the 360 version
capture7be1r.png

That's not a bad price for it....

I got my copy in early 2007 so I got it cheap but I can't be bothered to reinstall and attempt to make it compatible with my current setup. This game needs to be on digital distribution, it has the potential to be the HD edition that everyone really wanted.

Brerlappin

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's cool and all, but the installation instructions are longer than a CVS receipt so I'll probably skip it. I have a working install of SH2 on my pc with widescreen and 4K resolutions already so I'm good

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched the whole video but is it really an enhanced video ? The first few seconds of the parking lot is an overly bright area and the fog is mostly gone.

PS2, taken from youtube so expect a quality drop

sdfgdrfgxmehk.png

PC from the video too

segdfgfdgrreso.png

He looks like he's going for a mid-day walk

The opening scene on ps2 looks nothing like that first screenshot. The contrast is completely borked there.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Hot tip: maybe look outside of the US border and don't sweat a back-cover and manual not being English and you won't pay $90 for a copy.

Oct 25, 2017
This looks great. I really want Dark1x to make a video comparing this to the PS2 version.

Sadly this is turning into another System Shock 1 before the re-release situation were the best way to play is an old copy of the game with mods and since that copy may cost an arm and a leg on Ebay many will end up just pirating it.
Too bad Konami has stopped giving a shit anymore and will never do a proper re-release.