• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Since this game is no longer available to purchase digitally, would it still be considered piracy to download a free copy?

edit - I own SH2 on the original XBOX and would love to get the pc version

double edit - getting this to run on a modern pc seems like an exercise in frustration so I'll probably just pass

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
This looks great. I really want Dark1x to make a video comparing this to the PS2 version.

Sadly this is turning into another System Shock 1 before the re-release situation were the best way to play is an old copy of the game with mods and since that copy may cost an arm and a leg on Ebay many will end up just pirating it.
Too bad Konami has stopped giving a shit anymore and will never do a proper re-release.

And what can be done? This is as abandonware as it gets. People would gladly pay for a compilation of this on any storefront but Konami simply doesn't care. I don't condone piracy but as far as the Silent Hill franchise goes, it's almost fair game.

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
Wow that's a lot for fixes indeed, so big props to all the people involved in the project. Having said that, I re-played my original copy of SH2 (which is unanimously considered the definitive version iirc) on PCSX2 without any issues a couple of years ago. I'm wondering if after all these patches the PC version is better than the PS2 one.

JarlRaven

Nov 8, 2017
This thread title jebaited me harder than anything in my entire life. I thought Konami was taking steps to resemble a videogame publisher again.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing it with the enhancements, and my goodness - it's unbelievably beautiful. I'm visiting all the SH titles before Halloween, with some Resident Evil peppered in for a change of pace. The work this community has put into the port is seriously astounding. I wish someone would Kickstart a Team Silent reunion. What's Akira Yamaoka working on these days?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
here's what the PC version with these mods actually looks like (I think the first one was before I installed the fog thing):

source is me
DiyNs1dXcAAkRJu.jpg:orig

DiyNs1qXkAEowf_.jpg:orig

DiyNs2JX0AAQOBE.jpg:orig

UPDATE just took two new ones just for this
20180823235002_1nrcvi.jpg
20180823235015_1pqci1.jpg

thanks, it does look much better

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Pity I don't have the PC version, but I do have the original PS2 version, so I'll be playing that come Halloween this year.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yo, is that ominous music playing throughout the whole video part of the game? I actually like it.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, the modding process is fucking extensive. Still haven't set aside the hours required to decipher.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You got me all excited in thinking that there was a new remaster at Gamescom or something.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh nice it's finally out.

Anyone interested in the game shouldn't watch much of that video as it is full of spoilers.

Yo, is that ominous music playing throughout the whole video part of the game? I actually like it.
Yep

If you're interested in that kind of music, you won't find anything better than SH2's soundtrack out there.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Oh nice it's finally out.

Anyone interested in the game shouldn't watch much of that video as it is full of spoilers.

Yep

If you're interested in that kind of music, you won't find anything better than SH2's soundtrack out there.

I love it, how I regret not playing these gems when they first came out.

Feb 10, 2018
KONAMI!!!!! WHAT are you playing at!

Release a decent current gen remaster or remake!!
I bet it would sell like 3 million.

It easy easy money KONAMI god dam it.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Don't worry, we'll get a fox-engine remastered Silent Hill 2 Pachinko machine sometime soon. Re-recorded with Japanese voices, so they don't need to pay any of those pesky royalties.

Realistically speaking I think it's a safe bet that these games won't see rereleases any time soon. Not even rereleases of these ports with no bells or whistles added. One can dream, though.

Deltahedron

Aug 23, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm involved with and am a contributor to Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition (although I'm not a programmer or modder myself) and would like to answer or comment on some of the posts here.

TheMoon said:
I got annoyed for a second, thinking this was an actual official release, then I realized it's the PC mods and fixes I had installed myself two months ago^^

All of these have been available for a long time but I guess it's nice to give them a push, especially considering how relatively often we get "should I play the HD collection" questions.

Be sure to watch the all-new demonstration trailer as we've added a lot more fixes since you've last installed it. The Installation Guide has also been updated accordingly. You can see what new features have been added at this Reddit post.

Dreamboum said:
I haven't watched the whole video but is it really an enhanced video ? The first few seconds of the parking lot is an overly bright area and the fog is mostly gone.

The fog is the same as the PS2 version on the Observation Deck (as in, the overlaid 2D fog image is present and there's 3D fog below the outlook along the trees). Also, the brightness you pointed out is the same between the PC version and PS2 build. If you were to disable the noise grain on the PS2 version it would look like this:

PS2 (via PCSX2) No Noise Filter:
41204311-d3ba99b2-6cb0-11e8-869c-8b142dcb2d00.png

PC No Noise Filter:
41204317-e18f9f92-6cb0-11e8-8dba-761d5f94c687.png

One of several issues we fixed for Silent Hill 2 PC is modifying the noise filter. The noise filter on the PC build drastically changed the game's visuals when in use, making the screen much brighter compared to the PS2 version with its noise filter in effect:

PS2 (via PCSX2) Noise Filter:
41203780-c995783c-6ca9-11e8-8b80-587439c62bec.png

PC Original Noise Filter:
41203752-7470d84c-6ca9-11e8-8a94-76aaba0fe15b.png

PC Modified Noise Filter:
41203774-b859e490-6ca9-11e8-9805-7573909d1d05.png

Now, the PC noise filter is much more in line with the PS2 build. And it may not be the fairest comparison to compare an analog (composite?) image (PS2) to a digital, lossless image (PC screen cap). This is why PCSX2 screenshots above are used for comparison.

Acetown said:
Good stuff. Only thing missing now, that I can think of, are soft shadows.

Definitely! We still have plenty of smaller, nuanced adjustments we plan to implement but soft shadow integration is the "mac daddy" fix we have left to implement (along with allowing dynamic objects to have shadows cast upon them).

Once we implement soft shadows the PC version will then have: PS2 quality shadows, PS2 quality FMVs, PS2 quality noise filter, PS2 quality audio, and PS2 quality camera speed.

Dreamboum said:
Did they reinstate the music in the hotel ? I know one music was gone in the PC version and it was so dumb

May I ask you to provide more details (or an audio/video example) of this? We definitely would like to include it, if it's been missing/removed prior.

Atolm said:
Very impressive. Does it work with Xinput controllers?. I remember setting one in 3 was a real pain.

It does! Refer to this step:
http://enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/#installXinputPlus

Hesemonni said:
I take it that cutscene widescreen FOV was fixed? /s

I felt it important to showcase most, if not all, parts that ReduceCutsceneFOV and the camera clipping fixes fix in the demonstration trailer so people have a true appreciation of why these particular mods are so important to use. Seeing characters "frozen in place" ruins the atmosphere/experience and camera clipping is irritating overall.

Psyrgery said:
@Dark1x should definately check this out

Peter Ian Staker said:
This looks great. I really want Dark1x to make a video comparing this to the PS2 version.

I've been in touch with him about this! Fingers crossed he's intrigued enough to make his own coverage about it!

Brelappin said:
That's cool and all, but the installation instructions are longer than a CVS receipt so I'll probably skip it. I have a working install of SH2 on my pc with widescreen and 4K resolutions already so I'm good

I felt it important to go over every possible detail/adjustment for these fix packages to make user installation as error-free as possible. It would not be responsible of me to leave out many details for the sake of less reading, which could result in improper installation/mod adjustments which could lead to the game constantly crashing or not booting at all.

Do note: You are missing out on many great fixes by not implementing these fixes. Playing in widescreen alone is great, but there's so much more to fix with this game. The demonstration trailer showcases what a lot of the improvements bring to the table.

Buddy mcpuddy said:
The opening scene on ps2 looks nothing like that first screenshot. The contrast is completely borked there.

Please refer to comments above about the Observation Deck's visuals. I should also mention that all clips shown in the demonstration trailer that aren't directly related to the noise filter do not have the noise filter enabled. Why? Because YouTube's video compression would greatly muddy/dirty the clips with the noise filter in effect. Thus, I disabled it wherever and whenever possible. And, as we now know, disabling the noise filter brightens the game regardless of game version.

Erebus said:
Wow that's a lot for fixes indeed, so big props to all the people involved in the project. Having said that, I re-played my original copy of SH2 (which is unanimously considered the definitive version iirc) on PCSX2 without any issues a couple of years ago. I'm wondering if after all these patches the PC version is better than the PS2 one.

I'm not a fan nor one to get into which version is THE definitive best (which is why the voice over in the demonstration trailer says, "...makes it A definitive Silent Hill 2 HD experience."

However, and take this as you will, but playing the game on PCSX2 has its own problems:
  • Chunks of the wall disappear along the camera's edge when using the widescreen hack
  • The noise grain chunks are stretched when using the widescreen hack
  • There is no "ReduceCutsceneFOV" fix for the PCSX2 version when using the widescreen hack
  • There is no "camera clipping fix" for the PCSX2 version when using the widescreen hack
  • You cannot un-stretch the fullscreen (2D) images (if you prefer to have them non-stretched) for the PCSX2 version when using the widescreen hack
  • The PS2 verions use per-vertex lighting for the flashlight which looks worse than the per-pixel method used on the Xbox/PC versions
  • The rowboat glitch is present on PS2 versions
  • The "Maria" ending environment value bug is present on PS2 versions (here, here, and here)
JarlRaven said:
This thread title jebaited me harder than anything in my entire life. I thought Konami was taking steps to resemble a videogame publisher again.

I feel your pain. Konami's utter disregard to this IP has hurt all of us fans... This is why us, the fans, had to pick up the ball they dropped and help to make a true SH2 HD experience. We decided on the name Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition to help give an "official" title for our work and differentiate it from the abysmal SIlent Hill HD Collection.

Last edited:

5olid_5nake

Oct 30, 2017
Hi everyone,
We decided on the name Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition to help give an "official" title for our work and differentiate it from the abysmal SIlent Hill HD Collection.

Thank you and all other developers who were passionate enough about Silent Hill to put in hours so that the fans can finally enjoy this masterpiece properly. When I saw that you replaced sound effects that were so bad in the PC version with the ones from PS2 version I jumped out of my seat.

Time for another playthrough of Silent Hill. :D

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I felt it important to go over every possible detail/adjustment for these fix packages to make user installation as error-free as possible. It would not be responsible of me to leave out many details for the sake of less reading, which could result in improper installation/mod adjustments which could lead to the game constantly crashing or not booting at all.

Do note: You are missing out on many great fixes by not implementing these fixes. Playing in widescreen alone is great, but there's so much more to fix with this game. The demonstration trailer showcases what a lot of the improvements bring to the table..
The step-by-step guide was amazing.

There's nothing complicated to actually do, you just get a very detailed "answers your question before you can ask it" guide that covers pretty much all bases. Great work!

I just still haven't managed to get my controller to work (I'm stubborn and want to use my Wii U Pro Controller, like I do with several other PC games but I've also not tried again since the initial failed test)

OP
OP
KainXVIII

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Mod works excellent, by the way! The only issue that i found is when using Nvidia DSR (4k to 1080p downsampling) there is glitched images shown between screen transitions, not a big deal.

PS - and lack of vibration is also a little sad, even on Dualshock 4 which should support dinput (?)

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
I almost got a heart attack seeing the thread title.

Anyway, this looks very cool! I will be sure to check this out, since the only other version of SH2 currently available to me is the HD collection, which I don't despise as much as many others, but I can recognise the quality of the work done on this port.

Deltahedron

Aug 23, 2018
Mod works excellent, by the way! The only issue that i found is when using Nvidia DSR (4k to 1080p downsampling) there is glitched images shown between screen transitions, not a big deal.

PS - and lack of vibration is also a little sad, even on Dualshock 4 which should support dinput (?)

We've replicated that same issue with the fullscreen images when using Nvidia DSR. If/when we find a solution for this we'll be sure to release an update for the enhancement package.

The lack of vibration when using Xinput Plus is one negative to it but we've had another fan use his Dualshock 4 controller successfully with this game while also retaining force feedback. (Side note: I kept the guide's step about using controllers to Xbox peripherals only due to relative ease of installing; there's simply too many controllers/variants out there to cover them all.)

You can learn more about using DS4 with this game here:
https://github.com/ThirteenAG/WidescreenFixesPack/issues/268#issuecomment-398422270
https://github.com/ThirteenAG/WidescreenFixesPack/issues/268#issuecomment-398424068

I will be sure to check this out, since the only other version of SH2 currently available to me is the HD collection, which I don't despise as much as many others, but I can recognise the quality of the work done on this port.

Thank you. In my eyes, there's only two viable options to play SH2 in HD/widescreen: Emulation via PCSX2 or the modified PC version as discussed here. I like to think of the HD Collection as Voldemort: It's a name I try to never speak. :)

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
He fixed the fog which the mist important feature. Still the PS2 version is the original version of the vision to play. Hopefully as PS2 Classics.

Oct 28, 2017
Man, the music and sound design for this game are still so unsettling, almost two decades later. Even the stupid menu "boop" is disturbing.

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Not sure how I missed this, it looks amazing. It's a bummer it's only stable at 30fps though, I'm guessing there will never be a fix for that?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
May I ask you to provide more details (or an audio/video example) of this? We definitely would like to include it, if it's been missing/removed prior.

If I'm not being mistaken, some tracks present in the hotel has been missing in the PC version, at least that's what I noticed in the vanilla PC version.

Maybe it has already been fixed a long time ago ? I'm not sure

the music when with the revelation of james in the hotel is gone entirely

https://youtu.be/1jnv-iskAbc?t=243
https://youtu.be/VUnvAuauSW4?t=13854

which is this track if i'm not mistaken https://youtu.be/ekPaYGVLifY

the strident music when the water levels are rising in the hotel is gone https://youtu.be/VUnvAuauSW4?t=14041
https://youtu.be/VUnvAuauSW4?t=14044

You know what I just realized that most tracks are missing in the hotel and it's going to take too long to find them all. It has to have been fixed by fans and I'm just going through the effort for nothing, right ? Sorry about that

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Doing the Lord's work. Wish the game itself was more easily accessible through GOG or something. Would love to do another playthrough.

Deltahedron

Aug 23, 2018
If I'm not being mistaken, some tracks present in the hotel has been missing in the PC version, at least that's what I noticed in the vanilla PC version. which is this track if i'm not mistaken https://youtu.be/ekPaYGVLifY

the strident music when the water levels are rising in the hotel is gone https://youtu.be/VUnvAuauSW4?t=14041
https://youtu.be/VUnvAuauSW4?t=14044

You know what I just realized that most tracks are missing in the hotel and it's going to take too long to find them all. It has to have been fixed by fans and I'm just going through the effort for nothing, right ? Sorry about that

No worries. I checked those two spots you mentioned and can confirm, at least with the Audio Enhancement Pack, the BGM tracks are playing there. Could be the same for the vanilla PC version and the YouTuber may've muted the BGM sound in the game or the incessant sound loop bug occurred for him and killed his BGM altogether.

Wish the game itself was more easily accessible through GOG or something.

Me, too. :( This is easily the biggest issue for this version of the game: Accessibility.

It's a bummer it's only stable at 30fps though, I'm guessing there will never be a fix for that?

We hope to fix issues for the game when played at 60 FPS but I cannot guarantee all issues can/will be fixed. However, some of the more prevalent 60 FPS concerns have been addressed internally. See here:
https://github.com/elishacloud/Silent-Hill-2-Enhancements/issues/28

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
HOLY SHIT that is some impressive thorough work collected and produced over the years. Wow. Huge appreciation to everyone involved in making this happen.

maybe Digital Foundry / Dark1x should update their youtube video of Silent Hill 2 now where they stated that the PS2 version was the only way to go :P

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Amazing, im sure Angular was a neogaf member, i remember him from the PC sh2 thead on that forum.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
HOLY SHIT that is some impressive thorough work collected and produced over the years. Wow. Huge appreciation to everyone involved in making this happen.

maybe Digital Foundry / Dark1x should update their youtube video of Silent Hill 2 now where they stated that the PS2 version was the only way to go :P
DF covering this was addressed in a previous post here, btw

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'm not sure if I am doing something very dumb here, but I can't for the life of me find this "d3d8.ini" file that the guide keeps mentioning, which means I can't get this thing to work. The closest thing I have found is the "Settings.ini" file that's inside the "Common" folder: "\KONAMI\Silent Hill 2\Common". I even used search tools and nothing... It should be included in "Silent-Hill-2-Enhancements-1.2.1260.0.zip", correct?

So... what gives? Could someone give me a hand here? The guide is super easy to follow so this damn missing file issue doesn't make any sense to me. Much appreciated!

EDIT: Finally figured out what I was doing wrong, the page where you download "Silent-Hill-2-Enhancements-1.2.1260.0.zip" has a second link under it where you can download "d3d8.zip". Crisis averted!

Last edited:

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm, after the better part of an hour I can now play in all of its glory. To think that you'd replace the PS2 emulation I'm so used to with something so grand is sublime. Thank you, survival horror gods- for joining eternity alongside the RE4 Restoration Project, Durante's Dark Souls and Deadly Premonition fixes, etc etc.

tenor.gif

Deltahedron

Aug 23, 2018
Can confirm, after the better part of an hour I can now play in all of its glory. To think that you'd replace the PS2 emulation I'm so used to with something so grand is sublime. Thank you, survival horror gods- for joining eternity alongside the RE4 Restoration Project, Durante's Dark Souls and Deadly Premonition fixes, etc etc.

Thank you for the kind words! I'll pass this along to the team working on all these improvements. :)

And stay on the look out: We still have more fixes planned for the PC version as time goes on. And I'll be posting video updates for the more significant PC improvements on the YouTube page.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the kind words! I'll pass this along to the team working on all these improvements. :)

And stay on the look out: We still have more fixes planned for the PC version as time goes on. And I'll be posting video updates for the more significant PC improvements on the YouTube page.
It's just so glorious, really tempted to take some screens during a reinvigorated run due to this absolutely wonderful shot in the arm!

Maternal Heart

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Sorry for the bump, I signed up here because this seems like a community that still talks about Silent Hill despite the series practically being dead for many years. I figured people might be interested that this enhanced edition is continuously receiving updates and patches. Recently they implemented all the sounds from the PS2 version and put them back into the PC version. They also fixed a lot of cutscenes and James' flashlight and most importantly, rumble and light source reflection working again:

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Sorry for the bump, I signed up here because this seems like a community that still talks about Silent Hill despite the series practically being dead for many years. I figured people might be interested that this enhanced edition is continuously receiving updates and patches. Recently they implemented all the sounds from the PS2 version and put them back into the PC version. They also fixed a lot of cutscenes and James' flashlight and most importantly, rumble and light source reflection working again:

Oh thanks for bringing this up, I knew they continued to work on it but I didn't realize they had made so much progress already, it's very impressive that they've been able to fix so much.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to test out the new rumble feature this afternoon on a grey, sunless day after updating to the latest versions. Thank you Enhanced Edition for saving a masterpiece when others wouldn't.