• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Since somebody bumped the thread I may as well add their most recent preview video.

I've been checking their github regularly and they are hard at work on a big update that among others restores the better shadows from the PS2 version and all of the missing effects (reflections, Depth of field etc) that were toned down in the PC version due to 2002-era GPU limitations.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been checking their github regularly and they are hard at work on a big update that among others restores the better shadows from the PS2 version and all of the missing effects (reflections, Depth of field etc) that were toned down in the PC version due to 2002-era GPU limitations.
giphy.gif

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Inspired by this thread, last night I dug out my old Silent Hill 2 disc from the loft and took the time to install this

It's....incredible. Like wow. The definitive way now to play in this era. I love it. Thank you to those driving this

Running perfectly on a 1050ti playing on a Steam controller I snagged for £4

Doomg0d

Mar 26, 2019
Hmm, I may have to reinstall. Hopefully all 3 of the discs are where they're supposed to be. I remember all the sound bugs, especially making things repeat which somehow made the game even creepier.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Can`t wait for that new effects-mod. I`m in the mood for some SH again, so I`ve installed the game + enhanced patches some days ago, but I´ve decided to wait with my playthrough until they release the new patch. Judging form the video that was posted, the "new" effects look essential when it comes to enhancing the atmoshpere.

<3 We look forward to releasing the next update soon which will restore post processing effects, soft/self shadows, and much more.
Thank you and everyone involved in making these mods. Great work!

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the whole video but is it really an enhanced video ? The first few seconds of the parking lot is an overly bright area and the fog is mostly gone.

PS2, taken from youtube so expect a quality drop

sdfgdrfgxmehk.png

PC from the video too

segdfgfdgrreso.png

He looks like he's going for a mid-day walk

Pretty bad way to compare. Not knowing what calibration settings or gamma setting are used from source to equipment

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. Were the soft & self shadows the last thing left for feature parity with PS2?
Not exactly. Aside from the shadows there were more features still missing from the PC version and from what I've seen this new update restores nearly all of them while also bringing further enhancements.
I could go into more detail but I'd rather let the dev team explain it themselves in the feature presentation video they are preparing alongside the update.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Exciting!

This game demands to be on GOG at least. If Stranglehold made it, maybe SH2 can too.

New Update

Deltahedron

Aug 23, 2018
I'm not allowed to make new posts on this forum, so I'll share it here:

Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition Update Release #4 is Live!

In the fourth update video for Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition, we go over newly added features such as soft shadows, self shadows, restored post-processing effects, continued controller support, and much more.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:

Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition (@WhereAllBegins) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition (@WhereAllBegins). Twitter profile for Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition updates, news, and announcements. Banner image by Albert Espera. Silent Hill

-----------------------

ENHANCED EDITION WEBSITE:

Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition

ENHANCED EDITION INSTALLATION GUIDE:

-----------------------

UPDATE THE FOLLOWING FILES:

- SH2 Enhancements:

- Enhanced Edition Essential Files:

- FMV Enhancement Pack:

-----------------------

CREDITS:

-----------------------

THIS UPDATE FEATURES THE FOLLOWING ENHANCEMENTS:

- CheckForAdminAccess

- ClosetCutsceneFix

- EnableSoftShadows

- EnableTexAddrHack

- FixChainsawSpawn

- FixCreatureVehicleSpawn

- FixDrawingTextLine

- FixTownWestGateEvent

- FogParameterFix

- GameLoadFix

- ImproveStorageSupport

- IncreaseBlood

- LightingTransitionFix

- LockResolution

- LockScreenPosition

- MainMenuFix

- MainMenuTitlePerLang

- RemoveEffectsFlicker

- RemoveEnvironmentFlicker

- RestoreSearchCamMovement

- RestoreSpecialFX

- RestoreVibration

- Room312PauseScreenFix

- Room312ShadowFix

- SetBlackPillarBoxes

- SingleCoreAffinity

- UseBestGraphics

- WoodsideRoom205Fix

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Amazing. The big complaint people had had with the PC version is all the effects that were removed and you fixed it!

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Excellent work! Finally I can abandon PS2 emulation when it comes to this game. Will definitely do another full play through now. It's been like 10+ years.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I'm not allowed to make new posts on this forum, so I'll share it here:

Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition Update Release #4 is Live!

In the fourth update video for Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition, we go over newly added features such as soft shadows, self shadows, restored post-processing effects, continued controller support, and much more.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:

Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition (@WhereAllBegins) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition (@WhereAllBegins). Twitter profile for Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition updates, news, and announcements. Banner image by Albert Espera. Silent Hill

-----------------------

ENHANCED EDITION WEBSITE:

Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition

ENHANCED EDITION INSTALLATION GUIDE:

-----------------------

UPDATE THE FOLLOWING FILES:

- SH2 Enhancements:

- Enhanced Edition Essential Files:

- FMV Enhancement Pack:

-----------------------

CREDITS:

-----------------------

THIS UPDATE FEATURES THE FOLLOWING ENHANCEMENTS:

- CheckForAdminAccess

- ClosetCutsceneFix

- EnableSoftShadows

- EnableTexAddrHack

- FixChainsawSpawn

- FixCreatureVehicleSpawn

- FixDrawingTextLine

- FixTownWestGateEvent

- FogParameterFix

- GameLoadFix

- ImproveStorageSupport

- IncreaseBlood

- LightingTransitionFix

- LockResolution

- LockScreenPosition

- MainMenuFix

- MainMenuTitlePerLang

- RemoveEffectsFlicker

- RemoveEnvironmentFlicker

- RestoreSearchCamMovement

- RestoreSpecialFX

- RestoreVibration

- Room312PauseScreenFix

- Room312ShadowFix

- SetBlackPillarBoxes

- SingleCoreAffinity

- UseBestGraphics

- WoodsideRoom205Fix

holy jebus fuck

incredible work

Deltahedron

Aug 23, 2018
I'd love to see Dark1x's analysis of the PC version now, Is it finally the definitive edition?

The last "big" thing we're missing, compared to the PS2 version, is fully restored specularity, which we hope to address in the future.

Beyond that, it's mostly smaller quality-of-life additions that we briefly addressed at the end of the latest update video. Things such as restoring the brightness selector, built-in anti-aliasing and audio "click/pop" remover, and possibly 60 FPS fixes.

Oct 27, 2017
There should be a video tutorial on how to install this because the last time i tried to install this it wasn't succesful.

Deltahedron

Aug 23, 2018
I'm sorry. The website has been updated to further simplify the wording of the installation steps.

Most steps are simply downloading a package, and placing the files from the download into the game's directory.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last "big" thing we're missing, compared to the PS2 version, is fully restored specularity, which we hope to address in the future.

Beyond that, it's mostly smaller quality-of-life additions that we briefly addressed at the end of the latest update video. Things such as restoring the brightness selector, built-in anti-aliasing and audio "click/pop" remover, and possibly 60 FPS fixes.
Yeah, I think I have to wait for the built-in anti-aliasing because the cutscences move slower than the audio when I play on my Surface Pro 6.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suddenly wish I knew what I did with my PC copy of SH2 is....

I think I copied the contents to a folder and tossed the discs, (since you had to to run it anyways). I'll have to hunt around

Deltahedron

Aug 23, 2018
Yeah, I think I have to wait for the built-in anti-aliasing because the cutscences move slower than the audio when I play on my Surface Pro 6.

Your Surface Pro 6 will obviously be better than my Surface Pro 3, but I cannot use ReShade on my SP3 because it only has/uses integrated graphics, and ReShade is typically too demanding for IGPU.

Try playing the game without ReShade on your SP6 to see if that alleviates the issue. You won't have anti-aliasing then, of course, but it's probably the lesser of two evils in your situation.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your Surface Pro 6 will obviously be better than my Surface Pro 3, but I cannot use ReShade on my SP3 because it only has/uses integrated graphics, and ReShade is typically too demanding for IGPU.

Try playing the game without ReShade on your SP6 to see if that alleviates the issue. You won't have anti-aliasing then, of course, but it's probably the lesser of two evils in your situation.
How do I turn Reshade off?

Edit: Is it just pushing F12 to turn it on/off?

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how to enable 60fps? I had it on in the previous version then I uninstalled it. Now I'm back in but it's at 30fps and I can't seem to find any option in the config file to get to 60.

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
Is there something similar to this for the PS2 version? Because tracking down a legal PC version is going to be a nightmare and expensive.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I was shocked that the game appears to support ultrawidescreen 21:9, although the in-game cutscenes seem to have people's heads partially cut off. I've never played the game before so I dunno what the in-game cutscenes are supposed to look like, but I imagine this might be fixed playing on my 4k TV that has a 16:9 ratio?

Deltahedron

Aug 23, 2018
Anyone know how to enable 60fps? I had it on in the previous version then I uninstalled it. Now I'm back in but it's at 30fps and I can't seem to find any option in the config file to get to 60.

Certain animations and audio cues are synced to a frame rate of 30 FPS. This was common practice for game development during the release of Silent Hill 2.

Playing at a higher frame rate will result in certain animations playing faster than intended, reduce the effectiveness of frame-based post-processing effects such as motion blur, and completely glitch certain sound effects. It is strongly recommended to play the game at its original, intended 30 frames per second.

If you still wish to play the game at a different frame rate, open the d3d8.ini file and add the following code to its own line: FPSLimit = 30. Change the 30 value to your desired frame rate.

I just pressed F12 and it turns it off and on. It worked too. No more of the cutscenes going slower than the audio or the audio clicking/popping and cutting off.

Okay, great! I didn't know if simply disabling the filter would fix it, so I went with the more permanent solution for you. :)

I was shocked that the game appears to support ultrawidescreen 21:9, although the in-game cutscenes seem to have people's heads partially cut off. I've never played the game before so I dunno what the in-game cutscenes are supposed to look like, but I imagine this might be fixed playing on my 4k TV that has a 16:9 ratio?

In regards to playing in ultra widescreen: http://enhanced.townofsilenthill.co...ent-hill-2-enhanced-edition-in-169-widescreen

The reason the cutscenes are being cropped that much is because ReduceCutsceneFOV is enabled by default. This fix zooms in on the cutscenes to match the original 4:3 horizontal composition, to hide visual things you were never meant to see, that're supposed to be just out of frame. When played in ultra widescreen, it must zoom in tremendously to achieve this, hence why characters are sliced off.

Is there something similar to this for the PS2 version? Because tracking down a legal PC version is going to be a nightmare and expensive.

Not in the same vein/effort, no. You can compare the differences between this project and PCSX2 here: http://enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/compare.htm

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
In regards to playing in ultra widescreen: http://enhanced.townofsilenthill.co...ent-hill-2-enhanced-edition-in-169-widescreen

The reason the cutscenes are being cropped that much is because ReduceCutsceneFOV is enabled by default. This fix zooms in on the cutscenes to match the original 4:3 horizontal composition, to hide visual things you were never meant to see, that're supposed to be just out of frame. When played in ultra widescreen, it must zoom in tremendously to achieve this, hence why characters are sliced off.
Ah that makes sense, I'll definitely switch over to my 16:9 TV so it wont be as zoomed in as much, thanks. Was freaky to watch the cutscenes with half the head out of frame but SH is atmospheric enough with that lol.

DiscoThunder

May 7, 2019
This is so brilliant mate! One of my favourite games of all time finally playable and enjoyable on PC!

I'm having some issues setting up my DS4 though. Can't seem to bind anything to the d-pad or R2/L2. The defualt button for readying weapong was the "options" button, which makes it a bit difficult. Do you have any ideas? :)

Edit: Nevermind, I had to turn off DS4Windows. Let's goo!

Last edited:

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Damn. What an incredible job.

I've never played Silent Hill 2 and was about to start with the HD collection on PS3 (I know...).

Maybe I should go with this instead. I was going with the HD collection just for convenience as the other option would be emulation of the PS2 version.

Thank you for the amazing job.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
This seems incredible and makes me wish the game was available digitally. I had no idea how rare it is. Someday I'll check this out for the first time.