• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
So how close does this get the game to the PS2 version now? Are all of the visuals effects restored?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Jeez y'all are going to make your own anti-aliasing too? Madness! Seriously, this is amazing work.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
I had no idea the pc version is somewhat rare nowadays. I'm glad I got it instead of the ps2 version back then, for some reasons I honestly can't remember

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else experiencing crashes in the transition to the latest update? For some reason my game won't load the opening menu after playing the preface credits lol

To clarify, the updated FMVs are easy enough to install, but somehow the direct X functionality is being broken, or somewhere my settings are "distorted". Before the V4 Enhancement Module and Essential Files, everything works, haha. I'm sure its my video card not talking to some kind of script correctly, because the opening cinematics play in correct aspect ratio, etc. Would ReShade conflict as well if it wasn't the most up to date version?

Edit: And fixed! And if anyone ever runs into such an interesting dilemma, I ensured my files are in C:\Program Files (x86)\KONAMI\SILENT HILL 2\

Last edited:

Deltahedron

Aug 23, 2018
What sort of AA options will be implemented?

We're aiming for Multi Sample Anti-Aliasing (MSAA).

Anyone else experiencing crashes in the transition to the latest update? For some reason my game won't load the opening menu after playing the preface credits lol

To clarify, the updated FMVs are easy enough to install, but somehow the direct X functionality is being broken, or somewhere my settings are "distorted".

Edit: And fixed! And if anyone ever runs into such an interesting dilemma, I ensured my files are in C:\Program Files (x86)\KONAMI\SILENT HILL 2\

I'm glad you figured it out. Can you please explain in more detail what the issue was? I'd like to get a better understanding, in hopes to help troubleshoot for other people in the future.

Edit: If you were using a previous build of the SH2 Enhancements module it might have crashed due to using a cache of the older/previous build. Since we're now using high res main menu/save screen images, you must also use the latest build of the SH2 Enhancements module to prevent the game from crashing on the main menu (from using the high res images here now). The initial crash you got might have been due to some sort of cache Windows was using/storing of the old SH2 Enhancements module build.

Last edited:

Deltahedron

Aug 23, 2018
Where can one find the PC version even? It's not on any digital store afaik.
It is not available on any digital storefronts. Konami seems adverse to release SH2-4 PC digitally, for whatever reasons. If you're patient and diligent enough, I've seen plenty of used copies listed/sold for under $60 on eBay. Granted, a lot of people list SH2 PC for much higher than that, but again, if you're patient, you will find a more reasonable listing.

And remember: Our project is compatible with both the North American and European releases of SH2 PC, so it doesn't matter which version you might get.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: If you were using a previous build of the SH2 Enhancements module it might have crashed due to using a cache of the older/previous build. Since we're now using high res main menu/save screen images, you must also use the latest build of the SH2 Enhancements module to prevent the game from crashing on the main menu (from using the high res images here now). The initial crash you got might have been due to some sort of cache Windows was using/storing of the old SH2 Enhancements module build.
First of all, you are incredibly too kind to be fielding questions in the first place, thank you so much. I think it was exactly the result you've identified- I wasn't updating both at the same time, but separately and testing compatibility. Works flawlessly now, and is so sleek and pristine!

Deltahedron

Aug 23, 2018
Hi all,

We've posted a new update to the project, for those that are interested:

Links and info are in the video description.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse SƩrƩnissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds that the Silent Hill games are released on digital stores like GOG and Steam? I want to play the games with all these cool enhancements goddamn it.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
What are the odds that the Silent Hill games are released on digital stores like GOG and Steam? I want to play the games with all these cool enhancements goddamn it.

So I believe a number of bug fixes would be needed for Konami to even be able to sell the PC versions of games like SH2,3,4 anywhere... which basically means it'll never happen. lol. I almost feel like we'll get the first 4 games on PS5 and SH2 & SH4 on Series X before the PC versions are ever made available for sale though I'd love to be wrong.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse SƩrƩnissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I believe a number of bug fixes would be needed for Konami to even be able to sell the PC versions of games like SH2,3,4 anywhere... which basically means it'll never happen. lol. I almost feel like we'll get the first 4 games on PS5 and SH2 & SH4 on Series X before the PC versions are ever made available for sale though I'd love to be wrong.
Damn, that sucks.

Deltahedron I'm just throwing this out here, but have you guys thought about contacting GOG to let them know they could use your patch? I believe I read that GOG has used fan patches with some games in the past. It's a longshot, but what if you guys talking to GOG gets the ball rolling on getting Konami to sell the game digitally on PC?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Since they apparently lost the source code, at least based on information we know about the HD Collection fiasco, are straight PC releases even really possible? I'm not really sure how that stuff works.

Deltahedron

Aug 23, 2018
I'm just throwing this out here, but have you guys thought about contacting GOG to let them know they could use your patch? I believe I read that GOG has used fan patches with some games in the past. It's a longshot, but what if you guys talking to GOG gets the ball rolling on getting Konami to sell the game digitally on PC?

Unfortunately, it's not our call to make. :-/ SH2-4 PC are some of the most requested games to be on GoG... of all time: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games#order=votes_total

If Konami would ever allow GoG to release them, you can be sure we'd ask GoG to include our work with it, as you're correct in that GoG uses fan patches if appropriate.

Since they apparently lost the source code, at least based on information we know about the HD Collection fiasco, are straight PC releases even really possible? I'm not really sure how that stuff works.

Sure is! All the files that are included on the original SH2 PC discs? You just include them in a digital download package, instead. (With a modified executable to remove the SecuROM DRM, of course, like what we provide on our project site, as Windows 10 disables all binaries that use SecuROM: https://www.howtogeek.com/230773/ho...-securom-drm-on-windows-10-8.1-8-7-and-vista/ )

Source code isn't needed; just the finished, compiled code which can be taken from the original disc.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Sure is! All the files that are included on the original SH2 PC discs? You just include them in a digital download package, instead. (With a modified executable to remove the SecuROM DRM, of course, like what we provide on our project site, as Windows 10 disables all binaries that use SecuROM: https://www.howtogeek.com/230773/ho...-securom-drm-on-windows-10-8.1-8-7-and-vista/ )

Source code isn't needed; just the finished, compiled code which can be taken from the original disc.

Interesting. I thought maybe that had something to do it, but guess not. Guess it's just Konami being Konami.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Lots more.people own the PS3/360 versions and can still be got legally and at cheap prices

If this mod was compatible with those versions too much more people can increase accessibility to use this mod

Edit: nvm brainfart this mod is only for the PC version I thought this was all being done on PS2 version emulated

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I played this a few weeks ago and it blew me away, honestly. Couldn't be more thankful that this exists. Gotten multiple friends to play this game now too because of it.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Konami would ever allow GoG to release them, you can be sure we'd ask GoG to include our work with it, as you're correct in that GoG uses fan patches if appropriate.

giphy.gif

Brand re-emergence with the surprise announcement of whatever's currently brewing for PS5, ushering in the cash grab quick support of legacy titles for a re-release to generate brand revenue and hype, PS5 becomes the Silent Hill generation as we get a new AA entry and legacy support in one fell swoop.

Yeah I'm high but I still want it! And I'd buy ten copies, day one, no contest, just to give as gifts.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I actually have several copies of SH2 still, the PC disc, PS2 and Xbox (Restless Dreams?) versions, had them boxed up in an ancient moving box I hadn't unpacked for the last ten years or more.

I finally got on it this morning after procrastinating for some time. I borrowed a USB disc drive from my IT guy at work, dug the disc out and after fumbling around with it all for a while I've been playing for about an hour and a half now.

First of all let me say that it looks gorgeous and the amount of work put into this must be quite something. Secondly, I truly forgot, I mean really forgot, how crushing this game feels. I play a lot of Horror games but haven't played SH2 since probably the late 2000's and this is 'turn the console off' levels and for all the times I've talked about how cool SH2 is, I seem to have forgotten just how terrifying it is.

The aesthetics make just standing in a hallway in Woodside Apartments feel threatening. There's something about these graphics, the camera angles, whatever the combination is, that makes you feel intensely alone and overwhelmed.

I know this thread isn't really about discussing the game itself per say but I really didn't expect a video game to be able to affect me like this at my age anymore and it took me by surprise.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Love this but too bad it's stuck on PC being a mod and not able to release on all platforms.

The HD collection really was bad!

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, that looks amazing. Now, I just need to find a copy of SH2 for the PC. Starts at a mere $180 for a used copy on Amazon! Ha...

Zips

Oct 25, 2017

Diagol

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played Silent Hill 2, but was always curious to try it out. I've only heard great things about it, but I'm such a wimp when it comes to horror games. I think I'll give it a shot though!

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Hi all,

We've posted a new update to the project, for those that are interested:

Links and info are in the video description.

This is just incredible. Thank you so much for all of your efforts.

I remember when I first played it back in 2003 or 2004, it looked worse in my PC than in my friends PS2 and I couldn't figure out why.

Wish I had kept that PC box though...

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I just got it installed and running. Dicked around for about an hour in the intro area and man... these guys did a wonderful job and I'm very appreciative of the work they've done.

The only issue I'm having is it won't let me select the controller tab to remap controls. not a biggy tho, just gonna use the defaults.

Deltahedron

Aug 23, 2018
You should be able to go down a little bit then press right to go over to the Joypad column (from the Control Options menu) to reassign gamepad inputs. It's a little archaic how they made input reassignments for the PC version.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
You should be able to go down a little bit then press right to go over to the Joypad column (from the Control Options menu) to reassign gamepad inputs. It's a little archaic how they made input reassignments for the PC version.

Thanks! And thank you guys for this project. It's absolutely amazing.

I took some screenshots to share in here to help encourage anyone interest to give this a shot. It's definitely worth the set up process.

EXtyBQTWAAAaVvx

EXtyLHFXYAE12eE

EXtyBQTX0AAnsYQ

The lighting honestly looks better than a lot of contemporary releases and that is mind boggling.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SO LOVELY! In its own way. šŸ˜†

Very glad you've found the same pleasure we have in this incredible act of devotion.