• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you just going to sit there eating pizza?

• Yes

Votes: 551 92.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 7.2%

• Total voters

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
That's an interesting development.

I continue to insist what I've been saying all along, I've never been able to 100% confirm that Sony is behind it, just that Konami shopped around through multiple studios in the summer of 2018 to greenlight two SH titles, one a soft reboot & one a narrative focused episodic game (though the two people I heard it from, neither studio got the job), a Japanese-made Silent Hill game started dev at the beginning of 2019, and in mid-2020 I got an update from someone working with Konami on another project they had "good reason" to believe that Silent Hill was very much being worked on. That's all I've known 100%, though I've believed Katharsis.

Now I do want to talk to Katharsis or hope they comment on this. There's a comment they made last time we talked that actually weirdly aligns with this, but it wasn't of this magnitude so I would need some clarification myself. Specifically Katharsis had told me in private one of the reasons the game's reveal got delayed was because some "key people left the project, and other people joined," and they had to completely change their marketing approach & other plans, but I'm with others in I have more severe doubts now about the specific details. To be seen!

Last edited:

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Now I do want to talk to Katharsis or hope they comment on this. There's a comment they made last time we talked that actually weirdly aligns with this, but it wasn't of this magnitude so I would need some clarification myself. Specifically Katharsis had told me in private one of the reasons the game's reveal got delayed was because some "key people left the project, and other people joined," and they had to completely change their marketing approach & other plans, but I'm with others in I have more severe doubts now about the specific details. To be seen!

Hmm, if part of the rumor is true (aka Silent Hill was being developed by Sony, specifically with Toyama as the lead director) and Toyama's departure meant that new key figures have been hired, I wouldn't know what to feel about it... Part of the appeal to me was seeing Toyama back with fresh ideas for a Silent Hill game, plus several members of Team Silent returning. I guess it could still work out that Toyama would be working with Sony to some extent (a la Ueda). I'm hoping that's the case (if Sony really is developing the game).

Otherwise, it's just going to be console locked to PS5. At least we know it wasn't again sent to the cheapest developer Konami could find, but still...

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Hmm, if part of the rumor is true (aka Silent Hill was being developed by Sony, specifically with Toyama as the lead director) and Toyama's departure meant that new key figures have been hired, I wouldn't know what to feel about it... Part of the appeal to me was seeing Toyama back with fresh ideas for a Silent Hill game, plus several members of Team Silent returning. I guess it could still work out that Toyama would be working with Sony to some extent (a la Ueda). I'm hoping that's the case (if Sony really is developing the game).

Otherwise, it's just going to be console locked to PS5. At least we know it wasn't again sent to the cheapest developer Konami could find, but still...

If this is the case, I think Masahiro Ito (who is freelance, by the way) is still involved. Ito has been saying on Twitter over the last few months, and even recently, that he is still doing concept art for the mystery game he announced a while back.

Plus, that could perhaps explain this tweet if true:

It really depends on if the leak is true to begin with.

Eden-prime

May 21, 2020
Somehow i'm happy that Toyama now have freedom to make games the way he wanted. And by the looks of it, he and his new found studio members are making horror game, so that's a good thing all around. Just that it's not Silent Hill reboot we were hoping for.

Oct 27, 2017
Specifically Katharsis had told me in private one of the reasons the game's reveal got delayed was because some "key people left the project, and other people joined," and they had to completely change their marketing approach & other plans
Hmmm, interesting. Hopefully there's not a lot of changes to the core vision of the game since it's still planned for 2021.

Best of luck to the new studio. I'm digging the concept arts that were shown.

If this game is indeed real then I should go back and finish SH1 before the reveal

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Well hoping that Kojima is on it now

Highly, highly unlikely. In my opinion, it's not even worth hoping for because of how unlikely it is.

November 2019:

January 2020:

May 2020:
www.videogameschronicle.com

Hideo Kojima claims he recently had a ‘major project’ cancelled | VGC

“I’m pretty pissed, but that’s the games industry for you”…

Late-October 2020:
play4.uk

Hideo Kojima Is Working on a New Game

Kojima Productions, founded by Hideo Kojima, announced that it is working on a new game. In the statements made through

In the statements made by Kojima Productions, it stated that the game will develop in the studio in Tokyo and that the best names in the field are asked to take part in this project. When we look at the recruitment advertisements on the company's official website, we see that people who will make 3D designs in areas such as weapons, tools, vehicles, and mechanisms are seeking. It seems that Hideo Kojima's new game will appear as an RPG genre.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about my faith?! 😢

I wish Toyama and crew plenty of success. We'll all benefit from it, too.

I think Siren and Gravity Rush both have a brilliant main gameplay concept, despite other problems. And Silent Hill was the most terrifying in the whole series with its unrelenting horror, as far as I'm concerned.

There is a real demand for horror games and I'm happy they're no longer at Sony because it does seem like they clipped their wings more often than not.

Well, that could change things for a possible SH game. I don't believe anything concrete anymore, but I do think something's happening, as Konami has made sure to bring the name back to the public.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know if this is bad or not, but hope it means that whatever is coming, is also coming to PC lol

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not convinced someone who could not watch The Eye could make the scariest horror game.

I'm confused. Isn't The Eye a Hong Kong film? I'm fairly certain it isn't a Thai movie (and I've been googling and it takes me back to The Pang Brothers' The Eye)

And I see we are quoting Roberto again in the thread lol.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh man it's like, rumors are just that, fucking rumors and unfinished ideas passed around without meaning.

perhaps concept art for the upcoming game will be post-championship unlockables in Star Fox Grand Prix.

Well, there it is. This rumor is DONE.
LMAO you sweet summer child, you think people will a stop theorizing now? PS6 will have to be announced first, until then, there's always the next trade show to hype up an appearance each time.

OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
In case you missed it, I'm quoting KatharsisT's post from the PS Studios thread since they didn't bother responding here:

So, I think I need to clarify things a little bit.

Toyama directed Silent Hill. The game is still on track and is fine. Japan Studio are still developing it. And I think there's no need to attack me because someone is leaving the studio, even if it's the game director doesn't mean the game doesn't exist or Halo Infinite just got cancelled twice. I think a lot of people here need to calm down to every announcement they hear and stop being extremists. Your hearts will thank me.

And don't worry, the game is fine, if Toyama leaves now, it means it's in a healthy situation.

Now, I'm gonna stay away until next week.

See you at The Game Awards.

I think the defensive tone is a bad look, as you've voluntarily put yourself in the spotlight as an 'insider'. If you can't handle the heat from skeptics, especially with 8 months of absolutely no proof being supplied, the whole insider-gig might not be for you.
Calling fans 'extremists' for understandably being upset/confused/feeling this rumor has fizzled out because the lead of the project is gone seems disingenuous.
Keep in mind- the majority of us don't know the inner workings of video game development. So instead of lambasting people for being mean to you, you can ease concerns by explaining how this works?

Whatever. I'm done with it for now.
If this project is real, I'll be the loudest person apologizing for my, lord forbid, 'moments of disbelief'. I'm just tired.
Right now, this certainly doesn't feel like "the road to fuck", as Ito would say. 😞

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I feel like it's starting to become too much of a coincidence that apparently Katharsis always seems to tell people things in private that seem to match up perfectly with something that just happened but that only gets brought up after the fact. I'm not going to go as far as to say people are lying about it, but honestly, it just always feels like damage control when something happens that points more to the rumor not being true. Even if it's all true, I'm not sure what point there is to really sharing these anecdotes since no one is going to be willing to provide receipts that it did in fact happen that way.

As far as the recent development, yeeeeaaaaahhhhh, I don't know. I guess we could be looking at a The Last Guardian situation, but it sure is odd that apparently the big project Keiichiro Toyama was working on is a reboot of the series he helped to create, and he's going to bail on it before it's done (or maybe directly after it's done and is in the later stages), and that he wouldn't at least stick around for marketing on a project that Sony apparently is putting a lot of time and effort into with the big selling point being 'from the original creators of Silent Hill.' If this reboot is real and that happened, something must've really went south one way or another for him to leave under those circumstances.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
In case you missed it, I'm quoting KatharsisT's post from the PS Studios thread since they didn't bother responding here:

I think the defensive tone is a bad look, as you've voluntarily put yourself in the spotlight as an 'insider'. If you can't handle the heat from skeptics, especially with 8 months of absolutely no proof being supplied, the whole insider-gig might not be for you.
Calling fans 'extremists' for understandably being upset/confused/feeling this rumor has fizzled out because the lead of the project is gone seems disingenuous.
Keep in mind- the majority of us don't know the inner workings of video game development. So instead of lambasting people for being mean to you, you can ease concerns by explaining how this works?

If this project is real, I'll be the loudest person apologizing for my, lord forbid, 'moments of disbelief'. I'm just tired.
Right now, this certainly doesn't feel like "the road to fuck", as Ito would say. 😞

Ah yes, Toyama directed the game, it's totally done already and he can leave two months ago and not damage the project in any way.

That makes sense and everyone should keep getting hyped.

What nonsense.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I feel like it's starting to become too much of a coincidence that apparently Katharsis always seems to tell people things in private that seem to match up perfectly with something that just happened but that only gets brought up after the fact. I'm not going to go as far as to say people are lying about it, but honestly, it just always feels like damage control when something happens that points more to the rumor not being true. Even if it's all true, I'm not sure what point there is to really sharing these anecdotes since no one is going to be willing to provide receipts that it did in fact happen that way.

As far as the recent development, yeeeeaaaaahhhhh, I don't know. I guess we could be looking at a The Last Guardian situation, but it sure is odd that apparently the big project Keiichiro Toyama was working on is a reboot of the series he helped to create, and he's going to bail on it before it's done (or maybe directly after it's done and is in the later stages), and that he wouldn't at least stick around for marketing on a project that Sony apparently is putting a lot of time and effort into with the big selling point being 'from the original creators of Silent Hill.' If this reboot is real and that happened, something must've really went south one way or another for him to leave under those circumstances.
Maybe she didn't post here exactly because people are being "heated" towards her. I have no idea if this project is real or not, but regardless of that, she doesn't have to "handle the heat." Like I said in an earlier post, I'm not a fan of what insiders do. I also don't think it's fair to put all that into them. Maybe she can't tell more than that. Maybe it's all her source is willing to say.

In a year where everybody has a lot to deal with, the last thing someone should do is "handle the heat" inside a forum. You can choose to believe her or not, to wait until The Game Awards or not. She can't announce the game.

OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Maybe she didn't post here exactly because people are being "heated" towards her. I have no idea if this project is real or not, but regardless of that, she doesn't have to "handle the heat." Like I said in an earlier post, I'm not a fan of what insiders do. I also don't think it's fair to put all that into them. Maybe she can't tell more than that. Maybe it's all her source is willing to say.

In a year where everybody has a lot to deal with, the last thing someone should do is "handle the heat" inside a forum. You can choose to believe her or not, to wait until The Game Awards or not. She can't announce the game.

Then don't fucking run around screaming JUST WAIT! IT'S HAPPENING from the rooftops for months on end, jesus

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

I'm not sure why you chose to quote me here since I didn't say anything about anyone 'handling the heat.' What I'm referring is that basically anytime something happened that seems to contradict this rumor, there's always another insider or whoever to say, 'Well, actually, Katharsis told me something that pretty much perfectly aligns with what just happened' like Dusk Golem did above.

Like when this game didn't show up at those events when it was 'suppose' to we always had someone come in to say, 'Actually, Katharsis told me about everything else at this event and it was spot on, so I believe her.' I'm not saying she should be saying this publicly or not. I don't really care that much what she choses to do, and if it's real, that's going to come out in time one way or another. What I'm saying is I don't think it really serves the conversation like these people seem to think it does since 1) what she said in private has no barring on anyone's opinion on this since no one was aware of it until after the fact and 2) no one is going to post these alleged conversations where she was 'spot on' about other stuff anyway, so I don't know what the point of even bringing it up really is.

Jan 20, 2019

She was responding a user that ask the mods to ban her.

So, it is important that you know the context before judging someone.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

I apologize to Katharsis for sharing this, but I hope they understand why and it's to help a bit, I retracted anything that may hint towards identities and just will share this as to show the "coincidence" stuff in private is just exactly what happens.

EDIT: (I've retracted the picture to be respectful to Katharsis & who I was responding to saw it, but basically it was just proof that they had mentioned what I said they had mentioned previously.)

If they're telling the truth, then it's not coincidence. I will say from how they worded it though that I wasn't under the impression it was Toyama leaving, so there's that. But was the last private exchange we had together so it came to mind.

For my side, if it's at the Game Awards, great. Sooner than I would expect if I had to guess with what I know 100%, but I know it's been talked about recently.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then don't fucking run around screaming JUST WAIT! IT'S HAPPENING from the rooftops for months on end, jesus
I'm sorry, but this just proves my point that she doesn't have to post here. She doesn't have to deal with this.
I'm not sure why you chose to quote me here since I didn't say anything about anyone 'handling the heat.' What I'm referring is that basically anytime something happened that seems to contradict this rumor, there's always another insider or whoever to say, 'Well, actually, Katharsis told me something that pretty much perfectly aligns with what just happened' like Dusk Golem did above.

Like when this game didn't show up at those events when it was 'suppose' to we always had someone come in to say, 'Actually, Katharsis told me about everything else at this event and it was spot on, so I believe her.' I'm not saying she should be saying this publicly or not. I don't really care that much what she choses to do, and if it's real, that's going to come out in time one way or another. What I'm saying is I don't think it really serves the conversation like these people seem to think it does since 1) what she said in private has no barring on anyone's opinion on this since no one was aware of it until after the fact and 2) no one is going to post these alleged conversations where she was 'spot on' about other stuff anyway, so I don't know what the point of even bringing it up really is.
I quoted you because you wondered about that coincidence. I mean, regardless of what people say in private or in public, it's The Game Awards that will tell if her sources are correct or not.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I quoted you because you wondered about that coincidence. I mean, regardless of what people say in private or in public, it's The Game Awards that will tell if her sources are correct or not.

I don't even know what you're trying to say. I think you maybe need to re-read what I wrote, because what you're saying makes no sense to anything I wrote lol

I apologize to Katharsis for sharing this, but I hope they understand why and it's to help a bit, I retracted anything that may hint towards identities and just will share this as to show the "coincidence" stuff in private is just exactly what happens.

If they're telling the truth, then it's not coincidence. I will say from how they worded it though that I wasn't under the impression it was Toyama leaving, so there's that. But was the last private exchange we had together so it came to mind.

For my side, if it's at the Game Awards, great. Sooner than I would expect if I had to guess with what I know 100%, but I know it's been talked about recently.

Okay, that's fine. I wasn't even saying that you or anyone else was lying to be clear, I just don't really think it helps matters much to talk about it since obviously these plans have changed so much in the last year. It just feels like constant backtracking even if it's not.

Having said that, if that's a private conversation and you're apologizing for posting it, I don't know if you should have posted that without at least talking to her first. I appreciate the effort to clarify and it makes me less skeptical in general, but yeeeaaaah, not super sure you should have shared that in this manner.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
At this point, if it happens, great! New Silent Hill. Otherwise, we had a mini resurgence (Dead by Daylight, SH4 on GOG) and didn't really lose anything believing in a rumour. No need to be hostile towards insiders/other users.

Sonderhen

Sep 15, 2020
Well, I still believe in a new Silent Hill game revealed in TGA 2020.

We have several reasons to believe that.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I can still see KatharsisT's info being true to an extent, but I do worry about this game if it is revealed to be Sony-developed and that Toyama left midway through.

I just hope they came into an agreement with Sony that he will see through the project. Oh well, we'll see next week if the TGA rumors hold water.

y'all waiting for a new Sillent Hill and here i am sad cause Downpour has no PC port.

It's not even on PSNow. After what everyone's been saying about it, I want to see for myself how that game is :(

NIV093

May 31, 2019
The comment Katharsis made to Dusk means absolutely nothing in my opinion. How is Toyama leaving " some people" . The whole crux of the rumor was that he was directing it. They're allegedly showing it at TGA , a silent hill reboot with the original director and him and other key members leave and form their own studio and new IP? One week before the reveal? Also forming a new studio obviously was planned for a while .Im sure that wasn't a spur of the moment thing. Hard to believe it was ever real at this point.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just think it's very interesting that Kat never at any point hinted that Toyama left Sony even though he had to have left several months ago if this new team was started back in August. She would've known for a good chunk of this year that he left or was in the process of leaving Sony if she's constantly getting updates on this project.

It feels like there's always a convenient "yeah no this is actually how it happened" handwave every time the winds change or something happens to weaken confidence in this rumor.

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020

Even if we assume the rumors were true, the director leaving a project midway through is never a good sign. I mean, citing Halo Infinite kind of gives this away, as it is well known now that that game is in some real development trouble.

OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
She was responding a user that ask the mods to ban her.

So, it is important that you know the context before judging someone.

She was? All I saw was a blanket "a lot of users need to calm down and not be extremists", which, in the sensitive period of this news being dropped, didn't sit well with me. That's it. That's what my criticism of her post tone in my post up there was all about.
I've been posting on forums regularly as a means to express thoughts/opinions since roughly 1998. If people confronting your opinions - or in this case, 'insider info' - is a source of stress, I wouldn't advise engaging in it. Hell, it's what I tell my teenage kid. Being a lurker can be just as fun. But when you put yourself out there, people will engage.

The whole BASIS of her sharing this 'leak' back in... what was it? March?... and I'm paraphrasing, was "to give fans great news in a tough time."
Great. Wonderful. Believe me, it did. There's still a tiny thread I'm holding on to that still does. She was verified by a mod and that could have been it. We'll see it when we see it, believe it or not, etc- but the nucleus of this rumor has always been Toyama & Japan Studio, it's continuously been Toyama & Japan Studio, it's been hammered home repeatedly, double-downed, triple-downed, you name it... and it should come as absolutely no surprise that yesterday's news would drop like an atomic bomb to people believing in this leak (and people that might not realize that he could still finish the project under contract or whatever).

So I'd (me, personally would) like to just go back to talking about the existing SH series in this thread. This is a great thread and I'm happy so many of you are using it for fun discussions. Quite the far cry from the last OT with a single post, no? :D

Snakeeee, Khrn, even KatharsisT... if any of you would like to continue this direct subject with me I'd be happy to do it via PM. But, taking my own advice and bowing out when the public engagement gets too stressful, I'm going to stop commenting on this now.
Hopefully we can all laugh/shake our heads over this one day. Until then,
Dahlia Gillespie's neck tie is still the MVP of the series!

Oct 25, 2017
Even if we assume the rumors were true, the director leaving a project midway through is never a good sign. I mean, citing Halo Infinite kind of gives this away, as it is well known now that that game is in some real development trouble.

Yeah, especially the director leaving to found his own company - quitting a company midway through a major project would suggest some creative issues that couldn't be resolved.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, especially the director leaving to found his own company - quitting a company midway through a major project would suggest some creative issues that couldn't be resolved.

It's also pretty funny, if this was supposedly Sony giving Toyama some kind of legendary DREAM project he's been waiting years to make, as a favor to him, even though his games are serial underperformers...and then he leaves Sony entirely a few months before it's even going to be announced? And then announces his own standalone company a week before the supposed announcement?

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it's starting to become too much of a coincidence that apparently Katharsis always seems to tell people things in private that seem to match up perfectly with something that just happened but that only gets brought up after the fact.
Yep, it's like the third time and it's annoying as hell.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know what you're trying to say. I think you maybe need to re-read what I wrote, because what you're saying makes no sense to anything I wrote lol
You said this:
I feel like it's starting to become too much of a coincidence that apparently Katharsis always seems to tell people things in private that seem to match up perfectly with something that just happened but that only gets brought up after the fact.
I know you're saying that you don't think she's lying, but this at least reads like you think she is, and people talking to her in private are protecting her. I used your own word in my post, "coincidence." Now imagine yourself being her reading this. How would you feel? Would you post this if it was the other way around - more evidence about the game being real?

Look, I'll say it again. I don't like what insiders do. Games change a lot during development. When you announce something that's real ahead of time, you're putting pressure on everyone involved to announce it. And in the mean time, things can change. I know cases where an important dev had to leave their job because a family member had a severe accident and they had to move somewhere else. I know cases where contracts just expired. I know cases where things were not going well in development (or how someone wanted to be) and they left. I know cases where someone found a better life opportunity elsewhere. I know cases where someone found a way to achieve a dream (like creating a studio) at the right time, and felt they could leave at that point.

And suddenly, whoever the insider is, has to suddenly answer all these questions, and it might be something even their source doesn't have the details. Or maybe they do, but maybe they asked to not share in public for a reason. It's why these talks happen in private. But suddenly everyone wants answers they can't give, especially as they can't control what information they get.

Do you see where I'm getting at? If Katharsis came here and said "the game is still happening, and the people left because of X and Y reasons," someone would still ask if we'd see it at TGA. She could say yes, for example, but that's not official confirmation, so we'd still have to wait and see if it actually happens. How is that any different than where we are at now? We'd have more information, sure, but we'd still be anxious to see if it actually gets announced or not.

I get why everyone is anxious or confused or frustrated. I also think no one should have to deal with a hostile environment this way, not even if I disagree with what they do.

OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Allow me to express, even 19 years later, that I am still extremely jealous that you folks in PAL land got this:

mx1IlwT.jpg

I was busting my chops at college when SH2 came out, but I would have gladly put my hard-earned money into this sucker by skipping a few weekend drinking sessions..

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Allow me to express, even 19 years later, that I am still extremely jealous that you folks in PAL land got this:

mx1IlwT.jpg

I was busting my chops at college when SH2 came out, but I would have gladly put my hard-earned money into this sucker by skipping a few weekend drinking sessions..

Yeah, that's the one I've got, fuck the extra scenario, that's just a thing of beauty. The making of is so fucking good, too. And then you've got that very random, but very welcome sticker all in a digipak. It's glorious, seriously.

Lightning edit : the booklet is full color with character bios and shit, if I remember correctly. Just perfect

OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, that's the one I've got, fuck the extra scenario, that's just a thing of beauty. The making of is so fucking good, too. And then you've got that very random, but very welcome sticker all in a digipak. It's glorious, seriously.

Lightning edit : the booklet is full color with character bios and shit, if I remember correctly. Just perfect

Yeah, a very kind person from a forum I visited back in the day burned me the Making Of doc and sent it to me. I treated that thing like it was hidden pirate treasure, lol

Ashgarth

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

mx1IlwT.jpg

I always loved the fact they added character info in each page, but 99% of it was "Unknown"