• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you just going to sit there eating pizza?

• Yes

Votes: 551 92.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 7.2%

• Total voters

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Considering that this was supposed to be announced at E3 along with Silent Hill, this brings me hope that we'll see something about the reboot at TGAs but I'm still not holding my breath

I'm confused / have missed something. Are you maybe mixing up the director of Dead Space (who is announcing at TGA) and the writer of Dead Space (who tweeted that something he was working on was going to be at the Sony PS5 event, and then deleted when his game wasn't there)?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I never bought the two year development window. I mean come on, two years? FOH!

Depending on the size of the project two years it's utterly unbelievable. It could happen if it were a smaller scaler project, but yeah, his departure really throws that time table out the window unless 1) he wasn't as involved as originally thought or 2) the project was largely done and didn't need the original Director anymore. But both feel like stretches either way

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'm confused / have missed something. Are you maybe mixing up the director of Dead Space (who is announcing at TGA) and the writer of Dead Space (who tweeted that something he was working on was going to be at the Sony PS5 event, and then deleted when his game wasn't there)?

No, he's saying that if that game got pulled from the PS5 showcase to be shown at The Game Awards, Silent Hill also could have been pulled from that same event for The Game Awards.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be happy if something shows up tomorrow, but I'm not expecting it. Should be a fun showing regardless.

And I don't just mean KatharsisT, I mean this is probably how the whole rumour started in general. There's no telling who has seen what specifically.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I'm the first one that started the rumor stuff. And I can tell you what I specifically heard I consider 100% there's no correlation between your suspicions and it being mistaken for something else. I've repeated this a lot, in the summer of 2018 a friend at a studio told me that they were making a pitch to Konami for a Silent Hill game, not to talk about this for a while because it was all fresh, but Konami were shopping around at multiple studios for two Silent Hill games to greenlight, one a soft reboot, the other a narrative-focused episodic game. A few weeks later I got a message from someone else who I don't really know, but from another studio and all the details lined up with what my friend had told me. In the end, neither studio got the job though.

I know I was the first person to talk about this publicly, but since then some others have come forth to back that up in SH circles. That doesn't surprise me since apparently several studios were contacted to submit pitches, so those with connections probably heard about it, and there's no mistaking this as anything other than Silent Hill as it was Konami directly seeking to fund two Silent Hill games.

Now the first thing there's no mistaking it, the second it could be mistaken, but I doubt it. I do little indie games, and have been fortunate to network with other indie horror game creators, plus my partner in game creation lives in Japan and has connections herself. Someone I know a bit personally who's a game dev in Japan knows I'm a big horror buff, and let me know in mid-2019 that through some "water cooler talk" among game devs, he had heard a Silent Hill game had started dev at a Japanese studio at the start of the year. This person is an extremely honest sort, only mentioned it to me since we're friends and knows I love the series and horror stuff, they literally had zero reason to lie about it, and have let me know little other nuggets over time that all end up being true.

In mid-2020, a good acquaintance of mine knew I was talking about the Silent Hill rumors. They didn't tell me anything specifically, but they are working with Konami on something entirely unrelated to all of this. They just gave me a nudge to let me know they were "mighty positive" something Silent Hill was in the works currently, wouldn't tell me any more than that (and that's fair, they have a personal leg in the race), but were fine joining the list of people who know and can corroborate it for me.

None of this had to do with who precisely was making it though, this just was all backing that Konami went shopping for a couple Silent Hill games in 2018, and a Japanese developed SH game started dev at the beginning of 2019.

I have talked to Katharsis as well, if they're telling the truth, their source is not mistaken about it being Silent Hill either. Same with the other person I talked to on Reddit, who both gave me very detailed stories that do add up, and despite everything I still have belief in. Maybe I'm foolish, but at the very least I do have a sense both are being as open and honest as they can be.

Hopefully the clears some confusion.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Nothing, and I mean nothing

Makes my blood run cold like seeing this cursed OT shoot to the top with "Dusk Golem posted a minute ago" right next to it

I'll be happy if something shows up tomorrow, but I'm not expecting it. Should be a fun showing regardless.
I really should not have clicked on the thread XD

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I'm the first one that started the rumor stuff.

The first time I remember this rumor popping up was in conjunction with several other rumors with the first being Rely on Horror, to my knowledge. You've said before you have friends there or something, so I have no idea if this was one of those things where you all coordinated about it or whatever. That's something you'll have to go back and sort out yourself, but that's the first time I recall the rumor being out there, or at least when it started getting any kind of traction.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
The first time I remember this rumor popping up was in conjunction with several other rumors with the first being Rely on Horror, to my knowledge. You've said before you have friends there or something, so I have no idea if this was one of those things where you all coordinated about it or whatever. That's something you'll have to go back and sort out yourself, but that's the first time I recall the rumor being out there, or at least when it started getting any kind of traction.
It was when it got traction, I even knew when the Rely on Horror was dropping their stuff.

The first time I talked about this was last January.

The Rely on Horror and Toyama and such stuff when it gained traction was in March, but I knew it was coming as I'm friends with most of the RoH peeps (I was the second writer ever for the site, but haven't worked there for a while)

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is honestly no scenario I could ever accept with any interest other than Silent Hills, plus the return of P.T.

I don't even remotely care about any new SH game until they release the one that was promised, and even then it doesn't come close to making up for the bullshit Konami has given us.

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's healthy to just realize this game doesn't exist or never existed for sanity's sake.

Edit: Dusk Golem When do you think this Silent Hill game might be revealed if it's supposed to be released in 2021?

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There is honestly no scenario I could ever accept with any interest other than Silent Hills, plus the return of P.T.

I don't even remotely care about any new SH game until they release the one that was promised, and even then it doesn't come close to making up for the bullshit Konami has given us.

Even if they somehow brought the title back, it wouldn't be the same game. Things have changed a lot in the several years since that project was killed.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even if they somehow brought the title back, it wouldn't be the same game. Things have changed a lot in the several years since that project was killed.

I'm fine with that, as long as it still keeps the majority of concepts and ideas they had (of which allegedly there was a LOT).

I don't even need Kojima back as director, just have him as a producer who shares everything he wanted to do. Norman doesn't need to be back either.

Ito must absolutely be involved, however. You can't tease me with the idea of Ito as collaborating on an SH and not do anything with it.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I'm the first one that started the rumor stuff. And I can tell you what I specifically heard I consider 100% there's no correlation between your suspicions and it being mistaken for something else. I've repeated this a lot, in the summer of 2018 a friend at a studio told me that they were making a pitch to Konami for a Silent Hill game, not to talk about this for a while because it was all fresh, but Konami were shopping around at multiple studios for two Silent Hill games to greenlight, one a soft reboot, the other a narrative-focused episodic game. A few weeks later I got a message from someone else who I don't really know, but from another studio and all the details lined up with what my friend had told me. In the end, neither studio got the job though.

I know I was the first person to talk about this publicly, but since then some others have come forth to back that up in SH circles. That doesn't surprise me since apparently several studios were contacted to submit pitches, so those with connections probably heard about it, and there's no mistaking this as anything other than Silent Hill as it was Konami directly seeking to fund two Silent Hill games.

Now the first thing there's no mistaking it, the second it could be mistaken, but I doubt it. I do little indie games, and have been fortunate to network with other indie horror game creators, plus my partner in game creation lives in Japan and has connections herself. Someone I know a bit personally who's a game dev in Japan knows I'm a big horror buff, and let me know in mid-2019 that through some "water cooler talk" among game devs, he had heard a Silent Hill game had started dev at a Japanese studio at the start of the year. This person is an extremely honest sort, only mentioned it to me since we're friends and knows I love the series and horror stuff, they literally had zero reason to lie about it, and have let me know little other nuggets over time that all end up being true.

In mid-2020, a good acquaintance of mine knew I was talking about the Silent Hill rumors. They didn't tell me anything specifically, but they are working with Konami on something entirely unrelated to all of this. They just gave me a nudge to let me know they were "mighty positive" something Silent Hill was in the works currently, wouldn't tell me any more than that (and that's fair, they have a personal leg in the race), but were fine joining the list of people who know and can corroborate it for me.

None of this had to do with who precisely was making it though, this just was all backing that Konami went shopping for a couple Silent Hill games in 2018, and a Japanese developed SH game started dev at the beginning of 2019.

I have talked to Katharsis as well, if they're telling the truth, their source is not mistaken about it being Silent Hill either. Same with the other person I talked to on Reddit, who both gave me very detailed stories that do add up, and despite everything I still have belief in. Maybe I'm foolish, but at the very least I do have a sense both are being as open and honest as they can be.

Hopefully the clears some confusion.

I don't think anyone is being intentionally dishonest. Your information checks out particularly well, with Konami themselves stating that they are looking for ways to provide the next Silent Hill title and the Kojima information aligning with the timeline of his horror game being cancelled last May.

We know Toyama's studio is making a horror game. We know Masahiro Ito has a major project coming out that involves creature designs. If your information is solid, we know that Kojima was having talks with Konami mediated by Sony after their collaboration on Death Stranding. We know that Konami was shopping around for Silent Hill pitches from various developers.

I just think that (as all these things were happening at once) some wires were crossed that led to the current version of the rumour that people have been waiting to see announced all year.

You say:

Someone I know a bit personally who's a game dev in Japan knows I'm a big horror buff, and let me know in mid-2019 that through some "water cooler talk" among game devs, he had heard a Silent Hill game had started dev at a Japanese studio at the start of the year. This person is an extremely honest sort, only mentioned it to me since we're friends and knows I love the series and horror stuff, they literally had zero reason to lie about it, and have let me know little other nuggets over time that all end up being true.

And to be fair, I think it's very possible for insiders to hear stuff like this without any dishonesty involved (given the circumstances), even if there is no immediate project in development. Konami is at the very least weighing their options for the next Silent Hill title, and other rumours (such as the one Reddit leak about "Konami is making a full remake of the original and a Shattered Memories-style spin-off") suggest that there is a lot of Chinese Whispers going on right now.

Just from the tangible evidence and what we have been told, my theory is:
  1. All of Dusk's information about Konami shopping around for an episodic game, a soft reboot, and potentially other projects is correct.
  2. After working with him on Death Stranding, Sony mediated discussions between Kojima and Konami. This is likely tied to the Kojima horror game that was cancelled earlier this year.
  3. After their Siren game was cancelled in 2018, members of Toyama's crew broke off to form their own independent studio. They have been working on a horror game since 2019.
  4. Since Masahiro Ito confirmed that his upcoming game involves creature designs, there is a distinct possibility that it is horror-related.
  5. Suehiro Maruo's Instagram is apparently fake, so that doesn't tie into anything.
  6. As all this stuff was happening, various "Telephone" scenarios led to the current iteration of the rumour, which in turn led to it being expected at every event this year.
  7. Konami probably doesn't have anything specific in the oven quite yet, but they do seem to be weighing their options.
  8. Similarities in the concept art for the upcoming projects and the Silent Hill franchise (not to mention the people attached) might have contributed to insider water cooler talk or the rumours in general.

Last edited:

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
I think it's healthy to just realize this game doesn't exist or never existed for sanity's sake.

Edit: Dusk Golem When do you think this Silent Hill game might be revealed if it's supposed to be released in 2021?

1000% this.

I think it's safer to just assume there is a Silent Hill game being made, just not one BY SONY.

I don't think that's a safe bet at all. Given everything else, I think Konami is considering one. But I highly doubt the shadowy Silent Hill game we have been pursuing all year is fully in the oven right now and ready to bust out of the curtain at any moment.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'm fine with that, as long as it still keeps the majority of concepts and ideas they had (of which allegedly there was a LOT).

I don't even need Kojima back as director, just have him as a producer who shares everything he wanted to do. Norman doesn't need to be back either.

Ito must absolutely be involved, however. You can't tease me with the idea of Ito as collaborating on an SH and not do anything with it.

They wasn't, not really.

One thing you need to realize about Silent Hills is that Silent Hills never existed. P.T. was just a teaser, a glorified tech demo, and there was no Silent Hills actually in active development even if the project had officially been greenlit. Not a single piece of concept art work was even submitted for it. Silent Hills literally just existed in the head of Kojima as a bunch of loose and vague ideas, and we have no idea (and he probably has not idea) how any of that would have translated to an actual game

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
And to be fair, I think it's very possible for insiders to hear stuff like this without any dishonesty involved (given the circumstances), even if there is no immediate project in development. Konami is at the very least weighing their options for the next Silent Hill title, and other rumours (such as the one Reddit leak about "Konami is making a full remake of the original and a Shattered Memories-style spin-off") suggest that there is a lot of Chinese Whispers going on right now.

Yeah, and I know people are kind of tired of this example and all, but we actually saw this exact same thing happen with Star Fox Racing or whatever. Lots of 'reputable people' put faith in that rumor and it seems at this point it was almost 100% a fake, with some suggesting it was an outright hoax that fooled a lot of people. So, it definitely happens, and I don't think everyone who reported on that was doing so to spread that info in bad faith.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In retrospect the rumors were a huge dumpster fire.
We got thousands of posts of fun out of them, though.

...Also, I'm still on the hype train. Why? Because Silent Hill is about suffering.
sc06.gif

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
At best, Konami is taking the first early steps at making a new Silent Hill game and is weighing developer options and considering ways to do it (per Dusk's intel, cross examined with their own officially-released statements).

However, I don't (at this point) believe that a Silent Hill game with a fully formed creative team has been in deep development for the past year or so, and is on the cusp of being announced. I can understand how insiders may have come to believe that, and it's even understandable how a chain of events would lead KatharsisT to believe that a Sony game from Toyama and Ito was about to be announced. But still...

I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong tomorrow. After all, haven't we been burned enough? But now that the Bokeh Game Studio news is out, and looking over all of the information we do have, I think it's time to start thinking realistically. Will we see a new Silent Hill game within the next several years? Probably. Will it be next year or 2022? Probably not.

I just hope that Konami is smart enough to realise that, after all the hype surrounding Silent Hills, the potential for a new game from the original team, and the news that they had cancelled a Masahiro Ito sequel the year after Downpour was released, that expectations are high for the next installment. Coming back with another Homecoming or Origins quality game isn't going to cut it for most fans and it probably isn't going to fully tap into the goldmine of new fans from the Kojima / Dead by Daylight wellspring that they are sitting on.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Haven't kept up with the rumors too too much lately but I don't know that there's anyone who's said "I have seen this game being developed" right? It's not like they locked people in a bunker, someone would have firsthand knowledge of seeing the game being developed, games have a lot of moving parts, that's a lot of people who would have the chance to have seen something right?

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
They wasn't, not really.

One thing you need to realize about Silent Hills is that Silent Hills never existed. P.T. was just a teaser, a glorified tech demo, and there was no Silent Hills actually in active development even if the project had officially been greenlit. Not a single piece of concept art work was even submitted for it. Silent Hills literally just existed in the head of Kojima as a bunch of loose and vague ideas, and we have no idea (and he probably has not idea) how any of that would have translated to an actual game

One thing often forgotten in these PT discussion is that there was a different Silent Hills trailer shown at some point, and it looked totally different than PT! Granted, it was all CG and was probably entirely outsourced but it shows that there really was no good idea internally what a Silent Hills would even look like.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
One thing often forgotten in these PT discussion is that there was a different Silent Hills trailer shown at some point, and it looked totally different than PT! Granted, it was all CG and was probably entirely outsourced but it shows that there really was no good idea internally what a Silent Hills would even look like.

The one with the giant? That was creepy as hell

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Just to add to the rumor discussion and on discussion on when it got traction: for fans who frequent the community, these rumors have been going on for much longer than 2020, but it only got so much traction and discussion this year when it was rumored to be a PS5 exclusive. Now people are taking shots at it because discussion around the next Silent Hill game also centers around next-gen console wars (in and out of this forum), and people are so glad to piss on Silent Hill fans who are just excited/anxious for any opportunity for an announcement, whether this will come from Sony or otherwise, because the series is now tied to that next-gen console pissing contest.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
They have not revealed a game at TGA since the first TLOU in 2010, over 10 years ago. What events outside their own events, whether digital or in-person, have they revealed anything major in the last, like, 5 years+?

It may make sense to you and on paper, but it would be a pretty huge deviation from the norm. Don't expect it even if you want to assume the rumor is still all real
I don't know if in marketing something like the norm exists for everything. Sony for a couple of years had a very similar way to announce titles a few years before release, with a short narration and then a Gameplay concept. They completly changed this in 2019.
I am not saying it will happen, i am just hopeful lol. I am not watching TGA anyway.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Be honest, does anyone in here actually believe the rumors at this point XD?

Or are yall just here for the shitposting/random SH nostalgia?

OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

Most of the people posting here are contributing to the intentions of this thread: a general Silent Hill OT. Since basically all we have is nostalgia as there hasn't been a new game in, what, 8 years... yeah... just a lot of chat about the series in general.
Naturally speculation on the future of the series also occurs and thanks to """insiders""" filling all our ears with honey over the past nine months regarding a new Silent Hill game in development, that's fueled a lot of conversation.

Anyone coming into this OT to hum and haw and shitpost about SH Reboot being a 'no show' after each and every event will be reported to the moderators.

So anyone that doesn't want to just chat about the series and/or just wants to come in here like "LOL you people still believe these rumors?", I'd kindly ask abstaining in posting.

May 26, 2018

I was 50/50 the moment I heard about it. I got on the hype train a bit, but once we had nothing during E3 it dropped significantly. Then Toyama left town and it dropped to pretty much zero.

Just happy to talk about Silent Hill with... whoever, I guess. No expectations whatsoever. It is Konami, after all.