• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you just going to sit there eating pizza?

• Yes

Votes: 551 92.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 7.2%

• Total voters

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
iirc, they've lost the source codes for those games. The HD collection was ported with unfinished code + released copy to fix
Isn't it kinda common for older japanese Games to have no complete source code avaliable? FFX, Kingdom Hearts and i believe other Square Games were affected by that, because publishers just threw source code away.

So i wonder if SH4 just magically survived or if GoG worked on that Game, which would explain why it's only on GoG.

Laurel

Oct 29, 2017
Isn't it kinda common for older japanese Games to have no complete source code avaliable? FFX, Kingdom Hearts and i believe other Square Games were affected by that, because publishers just threw source code away.

So i wonder if SH4 just magically survived or if GoG worked on that Game, which would explain why it's only on GoG.
I assume a lot of the original crew are still working at SE, and even if they are not, SE are fully capable of building the games from ground up.

Can't say the same for the pichinko company...

the SH4 port was kinda bad anyway, won't be surprised if they just ripped from a retail copy

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
iirc, they've lost the source codes for those games. The HD collection was ported with unfinished code + released copy to fix

you don't need the source code to release games on GOG or Steam. It's just the old PC version with some touch-ups here and there that doesn't require the source code.

People need to get this source code thing out of their heads, it's detrimental to understanding how the Silent Hill games can still be saved and preserved.

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London

I'd imagine the voice acting debacle from when the HD Collection was released also plays into this a bit.

Releasing with the two different recordings would mean they'd need to update the game code, releasing with the new voices would have people up in arms, and releasing with just the original voices would be a humiliating admission of defeat by Konami. There's no easy win for them.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
It's insane every day i think about that some of the most influental horror Games in the entire medium are just... not easily and legally accessible anymore.
It's so fucked up, and part of the reason why i understand when people don't consider Games art because they are being released and discontinued like toys.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I'd imagine the voice acting debacle from when the HD Collection was released also plays into this a bit.

Releasing with the two different recordings would mean they'd need to update the game code, releasing with the new voices would have people up in arms, and releasing with just the original voices would be a humiliating admission of defeat by Konami. There's no easy win for them.

the old voice acting has been legally cleared, so that's a non-issue

there's no admitting defeat with releasing without the new voices, it's not a new release, it's literally the same PC versions released back in 2002 and 2003 just with minor changes that allows widescreen and technical fixes/enhancements.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
People need to get this source code thing out of their heads, it's detrimental to understanding how the Silent Hill games can still be saved and preserved.

This. Not only that, but both the PlayStation and X-Box consoles have built-in emulation hardware. What's stopping Konami from releasing Silent Hill 1-4 as PlayStation and PlayStation 2 Classics on the PlayStation Store? Or Silent Hill and Silent Hill 4 as downloads on the X-Box?

It's just emulation and they already did it with Silent Hill and Silent Hill 4 on PlayStation 3. Source code is not an excuse from what I can tell. If you can already emulate these games illegally, what is stopping Konami from releasing them officially?

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
there's no admitting defeat with releasing without the new voices

Except for the fact that it'd be a nice reminder that they went through the trouble of recording new voices and spending all that money when they literally didn't have to.

Don't get me wrong, I want a rerelease to happen as much as all of you, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't have done it other than this.

Devs have been found to have released pirated copies on GOG before, so it's not like you'd need the source code to rerelease the games — you just need the game data that's printed on the retail discs.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, one of Akira's new projects probably isn't a new Silent Hill game at all? I'm fucking shocked here, oh man, who could have foreseen such an outcome.

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California
Also, why does Konami keep putting a hole in Pyramid Head's helmet? That hole literally does not exist.

Whether it's the stories of the western sequels, the BradyGames guidebooks, action figures, or this, I wish Konami whould stop legitimatising inaccuracies.

I always thought Headlong put in into their initial Garage Kit (and their Gecco RPT statues) because it was where RPT tongue thing was supposed to come out?

It's weird I believe Ito was involved in approving Gecco's statue designs I wonder why he didn't he have it removed? Oh well it seems the spear version that's supposed to come out at some point (it's been 5 years since it was first announced) is missing the hole though. :) I know Ito was supervising the RPT spear design I'm excited to add it to my collection!

DtOV8IZX4AEVOfU.jpg

OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Sony must be somewhat confident to have the marketing rights.

Strange, though. This is a series that hasn't had a game release since 2012, not to mention a critically and commercially successful game in an even longer stretch of time.
If Japan Studio isn't doing it, what Japanese (according to Dusk) dev would it have been outsourced to?
If Japan Studio is the 'outsourced' dev, it makes obvious sense that Sony would bother with marketing rights.

The mystery continues.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Sony must be somewhat confident to have the marketing rights.

Strange, though. This is a series that hasn't had a game release since 2012, not to mention a critically and commercially successful game in an even longer stretch of time.
If Japan Studio isn't doing it, what Japanese (according to Dusk) dev would it have been outsourced to?
If Japan Studio is the 'outsourced' dev, it makes obvious sense that Sony would bother with marketing rights.

The mystery continues.
For the record, the reason I know they have the marketing rights... I won't say too much to not get someone in trouble, but I know for a fact very recently a Silent Hill trailer was sent out to various branches of Sony's worldwide studios to be translated for announcement. That doesn't mean they're making it, it just means they're marketing it & translating the trailer.

I waited to bring this up to confirm it, but I've confirmed this like three times now, including with a source I trust 100%, so why I'm sharing. For now, just to wait and see when it happens, I'm just excited and here for the ride.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
Also, why does Konami keep putting a hole in Pyramid Head's helmet? That hole literally does not exist.

Whether it's the stories of the western sequels, the BradyGames guidebooks, action figures, or this, I wish Konami whould stop legitimatising inaccuracies.

They must be using the Fukuro version as reference, because that clearly has some form of hole on the front. It's more square, though.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
www.polygon.com

James Sunderland isn’t Silent Hill 2’s antihero; he’s the villain

A new book excerpt digs into Sunderland’s motivations

Interesting take but I'm not sure if I agree. I always thought that the strength of Silent Hill 2 was just how morally grey it was. Obviously, "wife murder = bad", and noone is disputing that, but I think the game presents you with enough evidence as to why he felt justified in doing so to make him seem a little bit more sympathetic. Stuff how she was fully wasting away, totally losing her personality, etc. The fact that the town is making him out to be the villain isn't necessarily objective fact, but more so how James sees himself. This is true I think of all the characters - what they have done is reflected at them through their own eyes. The game isn't asking us to pass judgment on these characters but to experience empathy to their suffering.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
I always thought Headlong put in into their initial Garage Kit (and their Gecco RPT statues) because it was where RPT tongue thing was supposed to come out?

It's weird I believe Ito was involved in approving Gecco's statue designs I wonder why he didn't he have it removed? Oh well it seems the spear version that's supposed to come out at some point (it's been 5 years since it was first announced) is missing the hole though. :) I know Ito was supervising the RPT spear design I'm excited to add it to my collection!

DtOV8IZX4AEVOfU.jpg

There is a tongue, but there was never a hole. The helmet peels up. Masahiro Ito also wasn't involved with the original Gecco figure, which was filled with inaccuracies (such as lining the bottom of his helmet with flesh).

They must be using the Fukuro version as reference, because that clearly has some form of hole on the front. It's more square, though.

If so, that's kinda dumb of Konami imo. Fukuro and White Hunter are alternate reality stories that don't feature the same Pyramid Head and aren't even set in Silent Hill.

OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
For the record, the reason I know they have the marketing rights... I won't say too much to not get someone in trouble, but I know for a fact very recently a Silent Hill trailer was sent out to various branches of Sony's worldwide studios to be translated for announcement. That doesn't mean they're making it, it just means they're marketing it & translating the trailer.

I waited to bring this up to confirm it, but I've confirmed this like three times now, including with a source I trust 100%, so why I'm sharing. For now, just to wait and see when it happens, I'm just excited and here for the ride.

As usual, thank you for bringing what you can to the table. Obviously I want this new game to be good for personal reasons- but also for the sake of the series possibly getting new life breathed into it.

Interesting take but I'm not sure if I agree. I always thought that the strength of Silent Hill 2 was just how morally grey it was. Obviously, "wife murder = bad", and noone is disputing that, but I think the game presents you with enough evidence as to why he felt justified in doing so to make him seem a little bit more sympathetic. Stuff how she was fully wasting away, totally losing her personality, etc. The fact that the town is making him out to be the villain isn't necessarily objective fact, but more so how James sees himself. This is true I think of all the characters - what they have done is reflected at them through their own eyes. The game isn't asking us to pass judgment on these characters but to experience empathy to their suffering.

Yeah- like I said last page, overall I think the book is pretty good. Some takes I didn't agree with (i.e. 'James is the actual villain of SH2'), nor do I think Team Silent should be retroactively criticized for the game 'being too white' as a Japanese production from 2000/2001- but for fans it's still a pretty good long-form analysis.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The possibility of a new Silent Hill would make me seriously consider purchasing a PS5 before the inevitable PS5 Pro console releases, just to play it. 😂

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get us the scoop on the studio, Dusk aaaaargh. If it's JP developed, who the hell could it be.

I have no logical idea. Tecmo with the people who worked on Fatal Frame? A new studio? Just Japan Studio? Or the true twist, Capcom lol

addik

Oct 28, 2017

Interesting...

If the developer isn't Sony, who do we think is it gonna be? I want to make a betting game out of this lol.

Again, thanks for the info Dusk Golem, I never stopped believing!!!

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
I just hope they don't put Pyramid Head on the new game just because, and have Heather fight him. Sadly most of the inaccuracies seen around are thanks to the movie and those awful games after SH4 that messed up everything. For some reason people think Pyramid Head is supposed to be the Nemesis of SH lol

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

My heart..

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
It's not really Konami's doing; they're not making the sculpts.

True. But it's apparent that someone at Konami has been confusing the action figure for canon. The inaccurate design (hole in helmet, flesh at the bottom) was featured in Pyramid Head's appearances in Super Bomberman R, Book of Memories, Metal Gear Survive, other figures, and now Dark Deception.

s-l400.jpg

latest

DeXeBlSX4AEIjL-.jpg

Metal-Gear-Survive-Pyramid-Head.jpg

If Konami ever remasters the original games with updated assets/textures and includes this design in Silent Hill 2, I will legit facepalm.

Oct 27, 2017
Still not getting on that hype train again. But I'm ready to rodeo if/when proof is released and shown. And I haven't forgotten about the candy I promised Katharsis if this turned out to be true.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017

Precisely. Branding James as a villain is incredibly reductive in my view. It's similar to how people are quick to judge a character based on one decision, grasping for the necessity of having characters be binarily good or bad, like some have done with Joel from The Last of Us. They're both tragic in their own ways and relatable in others – and this grey area is what makes them so interesting. In case of SH2, it also works great with the multiple endings, partially influenced by how you yourself see James.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I see we're back to the days of 'I'm going to say all this stuff, but I can't really say anything' talk and random apparent insiders who come into to confirm things without any context or identification. That takes me back lol.

Anyway, Konami reviving the series and Sony having a marketing deal and/or some timed exclusivity thing in place makes the most logical sense out of anything that's been said about this in the past. Puts a lot less faith that it will be all that good, though lol, but I guess we'll see if anything actually comes out of it this time.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Interesting...

If the developer isn't Sony, who do we think is it gonna be? I want to make a betting game out of this lol.

Again, thanks for the info Dusk Golem, I never stopped believing!!!
A big reason the rumor of the return was exciting was because some of the og team silent people were involved (Toyama, ITO). With recent happenings, all point to those two at least not being involved. I'm terrified and excited at the same time atm. In the end, I just want the game to be good. Having Sony showing confidence in the product is a good sign. They usually pick quality with their deals (not always).

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is complicated. I always felt a bit uncomfortable with that kind of reasoning. I can't think about anything that could make me sympathize or feel empathy towards James and his actions. He wasn't getting what he wanted from Mary (sexually or not), and so he decided he wanted her out of his life by killing her. It's fucked up no matter what.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I will back this up, too.

Same I will back this up too.
I don't have insider info, but I am backing up the backers for the sake of hope.

A big reason the rumor of the return was exciting was because some of the og team silent people were involved (Toyama, ITO). With recent happenings, all point to those two at least not being involved. I'm terrified and excited at the same time atm. In the end, I just want the game to be good. Having Sony showing confidence in the product is a good sign. They usually pick quality with their deals (not always).

Oh man I feel you. The Sony rumor appealed to me because of the possibility of Toyama, Yamaoka, and Ito returning and collaborating again. It didn't have to be a Silent Hill project but that would have been super welcome obviously. Honestly if a Silent Hill game were to come back, I just want it to go to a developer who is talented enough and who gets enough support from Konami. I don't think a Sony marketing deal is a sign that it's a good game (*flashback of No Man's Sky 1.0 and Shenmue 3*), but it does alleviate some of the financial pressure on Konami and the developer.

Really hoping the developers for the coming game are top-tier.

Last edited: