• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It says a lot about the series where when I read possible news of something...anything game-related being announced, I don't feel excitement just dread.

Let's hope this one actually ends up not being a nothing-burger.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I don't want to spoil the experience, but it's not a real life phone thing. It's all in-game, but I don't want to spoil the experience as I think it'll be best to play it yourselves.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I've not heard the name before, but it might fit either a demonstration thing for upcoming announcements, or Sakura, as that does have an SMS Messaging aspect.

Wait, they're actually doing the thing Alanah Pearce talked about 3 years ago that Kojima was planning with Silent Hills? She said you would have to sign a waiver as the game would interact with you through your actual phone number and socials. God, I hope not. Was a terrible idea.

Oct 27, 2017
Calling it now, you're texting your significant other or your child while looking for them in SH, and at the end of the demo/short playable teaser you realize your SO/kid is dead because you killed them (either by accident or intentionally), their number has been out of use for years, and you imagined it all because you couldn't deal with what you did. Where's my contract for a Hollywood adaption?

Oct 25, 2017
The text message stuff sounds like that concept stuff Alanah Pearce shared of Silent Hills that the game would send you text messages and you'd have to sign a waiver

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Calling it now, you're texting your significant other or your child while looking for them in SH, and at the end of the demo/short playable teaser you realize your SO/kid is dead because you killed them (either by accident or intentionally), their number has been out of use for years, and you imagined it all because you couldn't deal with what you did. Where's my contract for a Hollywood adaption?
That's literally the plot of Silent Hill 2 and all four post-Team Silent games lol.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Alright, I don't want to spoil the experience, but it's not a real life phone thing. It's all in-game, but I don't want to spoil the experience as I think it'll be best to play it yourselves.

SMS messaging makes me think to something like this :

www.youtube.com

Lifeline - iOS and Android Trailer

GET LIFELINE GAMES/EXPERIENCES HERE:Lifeline http://bigfi.sh/Lifeline1_YouTubeLifeline 2http://bigfi.sh/Lifeline2_YouTubeLifeline Silent Nighthttp://bigfi.sh...

It's a textual adventure game where you are guiding someone in distance and "in real time". He ask you advices, put communications on rest for hours etc. It became a subgenre like all these "found phones/computers" games where you have to dig into the intimacy of someone with a fake OS interface.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
but who was phone?

Oct 27, 2017

Alessa.

On the chance that Bloober Team's game isn't a remake, I hope they realise that they'll be laughed at if they try to do another variation of Silent Hill 2's story and twist in 2022. Bonus if they include a Pyramid Head stand-in monster.

One of the bosses (and the PH stand-in) will be a bipedal smart phone monster. Imagine something like the Abstract Daddy but with a huge smart phone displaying distorted and disturbing messages and photos.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I know gimmicks can sometimes be hit or miss with people but I would love for there to be some sort of companion app to this. The app functioning as a sort of "found phone" meta game and as a way to receive messages.

May 14, 2022
Ok, I can't believe there are people saying it's fake. You can go to the website and download the .csv file to check it out. There is also Sam Barlow's latest game on the list

smokey5604

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
I know gimmicks can sometimes be hit or miss with people but I would love for there to be some sort of companion app to this. The app functioning as a sort of "found phone" meta game and as a way to receive messages.
I think it would definitely be cool as an opt-in thing. Would only want it though if the game can be completely finished without one though.

Fudus

â–² Legend â–²
Sep 18, 2020
Can't wait for something to finally be officially confirmed.
But I don't think they'll be able to recreate the PT hype, that was one of a kind.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would definitely be cool as an opt-in thing. Would only want it though if the game can be completely finished without one though.

Yeah for sure. With messages popping up like in that screenshot. I just think that found phone games are super cool and integrating that into a console game experience would be pretty unique.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My personal Silent Hill is getting rude and vaguely confrontational text messages from my peers so I'm ready to be terrified.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's rated, certainly it can't be long until it's available right? Would be nice to have it by the end of October.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
A bit related/unrelated, but also confirmed just now the upcoming new Silent Hill film starts filming in February and expected to be completed in late 2023:

View: https://twitter.com/alanfrightfest/status/1573988932777377792

(Alan Jones is a long time friend and collaborator with Christophe Gans, who is directed the first Silent Hill film (had nothing to do with the second one), and is directing the third film.)

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Between this, the leaked Helldivers 2 trailer, and Final Fantasy XVI getting a new trailer in October, I'm guessing Sony have a showcase scheduled for some time in the next few weeks

Yeah IIRC Dusk mentioned Sony was involved with this so I'm guessing this will be at the next SOP/Showcase

Sesha

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
And there's the SH thing. The agonizing some did over the Suikoden announcement in that TGS thread is extra silly now.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I bet it's a mobile game.
It actually is a console game 100%.

FdlMAH0UoAAJF4X

(Silent Hill: The Short Message is listed two spots below what's highlighted, this is highlighted to show the CC-OM moniker to the left, which classifies it as the Mobile Game category.)

CC-OM is the Korean classification for mobile game, CC-NP is the classification for PC game. You'll see that Silent Hill: The Short Message is classified under CC-NV, which is for Home Video Console. While no platform is specified, the rating 100% does confirm this is a video game for Home Consoles rather than Arcade, Mobile, PC or anything else.

PC still has a shot since not all PC games need to be rated in Korea, but the rating here is specifically for Home Console.