• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
I know we had the disaster that was 2013 but I want a genuine good SimCity game again! I've played Cities Skylines to death but it somehow doesn't capture that same magic. The look, the soundtrack, the funny news ticker. Damn it was glorious.

My personal favourite was probably 3000 which I go back to play quite often as it has some major nostalgia for me.

So what do you think Era? This should also just be a goddamn appreciation thread for these beautiful games (2013 doesn't exist)

9wdfxxnoy2v51.png

r6tFxyLXoy9G0ncm7wRXeguDDAwbwWvqinsRuOnXF5OjKXR_ckh-coixkP5CStUxj02Zrs18r5ASGEwWxHOJkP87H3wXwOTf

SimCity-4-57c6f4e05f9b5855e51c8f45.png

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Extremely low, or on mobile.

But man, I'm with you, that jazzy soundtrack is still wondeful.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
2000 is my fave. Always enjoyed the lakeland map especially, very laid back.

I doubt we'll ever get a sim city as good as the old ones.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
EA doesn't know how to monetize SimCity like Battlefield yet so maybe quite some time.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Zero, even if they release one you would need to pay separately for EVERYTHING.

OP
OP
Ploppee

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Ah man, it really would wouldn't it. The things I would do for Maxis to reform and go independent like IO Interactive did.

I don't want to wait for a timer to complete my city hall or pay for each track I want on the soundtrack :(

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
Never going to happen from EA. Need to keep praying for the day an Indie or AA dev manages to recapture the magic.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Zero chance, all EA cares about is online play for SimCity.
I want to be independant, not rely on other cities, and be able to not lose my progress. with server shennanigans.

There's city skylines, it scratched that itch, so i don't even care that much. (still enough to post here though, so i guess it still hurts inside)

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I'd love it, but it probably wouldn't be the SimCity game I want.

Cities Skylines did scratch that itch a little but I'd prefer a static isometric game than full 3D.
If I had a PC I'd just go back and play 2/300.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
I know it's sacreligious to say, but I did enjoy the last SimCity in the end. I'm glad that it and Skylines existed alongside each other. And, honestly, if they made another one that built upon those foundations but without the botched launch and the hardware limitations, I'd be up for it.

But I'm sure EA is happy making money with the mobile SimCity game. Cheap, easy and probably brought in more cash than the past games combined.

Speaking of the older games and mobile, I found my old iPod touch, still working, the other month. On it was the first version of SimCity mobile on iOS. It was pretty much a streamlined port of SC3000. You bought it once and get a competent little city builder. Can't have that any more. Mobile games need stip out all complexity and beg you for money at all times.

Last edited:

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
SimCity 2013 became decent in the end but by then the series was dead. I wish EA would bring it to Steam, who knows, maybe it could get a small revival.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It is really strange that EA abandoned it when it is more-less perfect game for GAAS tile and MTX.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
There used to be a decent Sim City 3 version on iOS but it's no longer playable due to a lack of updates for changing hardware.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
SimCity (2013) had potential, they just really messed it up. The tiny city size was the worst part.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
I just want a ai-upscaled version of sim city 2000. I still remember getting my hands on that gigantic gaming manual. It was a sight to behold.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I might expect the 'Simcity Legendary Edition' from EA at some point, instead of a new one.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
I still love Sim City 2000 and play it regularly. The later games are also good, but something always draws me back to 2000.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I don't think we'll see a new SimCity -- at least like you said, not one that is in the same vein as 4.

ALSO this thread led to me discovering that SimCity 4 has been updated to 64-bit for Macs...may have to get that.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
SimCity has been lapped by many other city simulation franchise. Wouldn't bet on return to form with EA at the helm.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
yeah that's what i don't get
and they have the sims right there to take as an example
anyway Skylines scratches that itch op, especially with all expansions/mods etc

Skylines is great but it does lack of that big publisher shine if you know what I mean. SimCity was flawed game but it did look great and still does.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
There's something about the 90s era visuals that I loved about the older SimCities - Maxis had this whole ...90s art deco thing going for them.

2042-simcity-2000-dos-front-cover.jpg

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
A new Simcity?
Why you want that when you have Cities Skylines. Which probalby is having a sequel in development now given that Paradox and Colossal Studios said they were working together on a new game.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
At this point in time I just want them to include the missing features (better soundtrack, more strategy mechanics,..) from Simcity in a Cities Skylines 2 and I would be already happy.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
A new Simcity?
Why you want that when you have Cities Skylines. Which probalby is having a sequel in development now given that Paradox and Colossal Studios said they were working together on a new game.

Bigger budget and more eye candy that EA can provide :P Yes I am graphics whore.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Bigger budget and more eye candy that EA can provide :P Yes I am graphics whore.
EA would give a similar budget to the game that Skylines has. Skylines doesnt even look that bad nowadays (and you have tons of nice looking mods in the Workshop).

Now with the topic in question, given that EA somehow created a remake for Command and Conquer who knows if they come back to some of their other classic PC franchises that make money. I guess Simcity problem is that the brand is tainted after the reboot.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
EA would give a similar budget to the game that Skylines has. Skylines doesnt even look that bad nowadays (and you have tons of nice looking mods in the Workshop).

Now with the topic in question, given that EA somehow created a remake for Command and Conquer who knows if they come back to some of their other classic PC franchises that make money. I guess Simcity problem is that the brand is tainted after the reboot.

They would probablygo with more money if they decided to make long running GaaS title.

Because I want a game not a vehicle for DLC.

If EA does it again it will take Sims model so it wouldn't be that different from Skylines.

Dec 7, 2017
I'm not quite sure why EA hasn't given SimCity another try, Cities: Skylines has a pretty clear monetization method very similar to that of The Sims which EA knows has a proven track record for.
I haven't checked myself, but there are hundreds of mods on the Steam Workshop so I feel like someone must've done some mods to make the general atmosphere more SimCity with music and such.

Hopefully though the rumoured game Colossal and Paradox are working on is Cities 2: Skylines(Or Cities: Skylines 2?) and will scratch that itch for you.

OP
OP
Ploppee

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
There's something about the 90s era visuals that I loved about the older SimCities - Maxis had this whole ...90s art deco thing going for them.

2042-simcity-2000-dos-front-cover.jpg

this is exactly it!

Look I loved Cities Skylines and understand people that prefer it but there's something about the 2d design of these games that I absolutely love mixed with that soundtrack ooh-la-la.

I just want something with that lighthearted character again instead of plotting bus routes and managing sewage into rivers etc.

I'm definitely gonna have to fire up some 3000 after work. Anyone know any good mods for either 3000 or 4? I have all the usual ones like NAM etc.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
It's wild to me that there is not a competent version of SimCity for me to play on my phone in 2021. The city builder scene on phones is very shallow.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
this is exactly it!

Look I loved Cities Skylines and understand people that prefer it but there's something about the 2d design of these games that I absolutely love mixed with that soundtrack ooh-la-la.

I just want something with that lighthearted character again instead of plotting bus routes and managing sewage into rivers etc.

I'm definitely gonna have to fire up some 3000 after work. Anyone know any good mods for either 3000 or 4? I have all the usual ones like NAM etc.
For 3000 there's not much mod scene, for 4 start with this:

Kongo B

Sep 8, 2019
Europe
Haven't EA killed off Maxis? And didn't Cities Skylines entirely replace it in the market?

...Which sucks, cause Sim City is one of my all-time favorite childhood classics

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I have SimCity 4 on Steam but for some reason i could never run it on any computer i've had throughout the years.... it sucks.............

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I just wanted to chime in and say that I agree with people saying that Cities Skylines is fine, but it just doesn't scratch that SimCity itch for me. For whatever reason I just get bored playing it after a couple hours.