• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
New Zealander and YouTuber, Reubs decided to remake The Simpsons: Hit and Run in UE5, complete with some ray traced lighting.

He only recreated the first mission, but how he imported the map, upgraded Homer's animation, redid the textures, and all the other stuff is super interesting.

I absolutely love this game and really wish a true remaster would eventually be commissioned.

Dude's patreon will get you access to the demo itself.

Decline my invitation for an unforgettable luncheon if old.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
I never played the original, but I watched this the other day and found it super interesting as I know almost nothing about game development.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Kinda baffling we haven't had a console simpsons game in years. (2007?!!)

monkey-paw.gif

I feel like this is a "Be VERY careful what you wish for" moment haha

EDIT:

On topic, this is pretty impressive and efficient work! Would love a remaster of Hit and Run. Maybe make it so characters are switchable on the fly, join up the three separate maps into a single cohesive overworld. There's a lot that could be done in a re-release.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I need this game and "The Simpsons game" remade/remastered. They still hold up but I assume it's a licensing nightmare

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
There's a definite reason I'd love a remaster of this instead of a sequel or reboot and that's because if it were the latter it would get crammed full of post-season 10 garbage.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Man i miss this game badly.

Would totally pay real money for a proper remaster, no doubt.

Oct 26, 2017
To be followed shortly by The Simpsons: Cease & Desist

Cool project though, one of my favourite games back in the day

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Who even currently owns the rights to Hit & Run? Activision I'm assuming since it was originally published by Vivendi and most of their game assets were absorbed under Acti?

But then again the Simpsons gaming license is EA's property now so I don't even know how you'd work that out.

Simpsons Game for the PS3 was probably the best thing to come out of the franchise for ages. Like it was so much funnier than the movie lol.
The movie I always felt was something that should've happened five years into the show's life, not nearly 20 years after the fact when the show was a rotting corpse of its former self.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Who even currently owns the rights to Hit & Run? Activision I'm assuming since it was originally published by Vivendi and most of their game assets were absorbed under their branch?

But then the Simpsons gaming license is EA's property now so I don't even know how you'd work that out.

That reads like a clusterfuck of paperwork and agreements.

Still, if it is the price we have to pay for this game to appear again...well it better sell i guess.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
People actually liked this game? I thought was charming at first but the missions got real annoying at times. Especially the ones that wanted you to collect things in a car.

seldead

Oct 28, 2017
The lead designer from the original game, Joe Mcginn, commented how impressed he in the YouTube comments and has continued to answer questions about the game in a thread. His humbleness and appreciation for the fans is quite sweet to read.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Nintendo, hire thi...

Nah its great that he's showing off the process, very cool lol

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I know Road Rage is just Crazy Taxi, but I loved that game so much as a kid. I would buy a remaster of that in a heartbeat.

I didn't really play H&R as much, but the process and the video here is very cool! I hope there's no legal action taken.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is really cool, but having the demo access behind a patreon just seems to be inviting lawyers.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the effort but I honestly like how the original looks better on PC right now. Like it can look really good with just adding widescreen and resolution support and a few tweeks with the popular Lucas mod launcher.

Have said for years that one of my dream games is another Hit and Run made by the same team with a more fully envisioned Springfield but same graphics and look of the original.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if the demo wasn't behind patreon, he shouldn't be getting C&Ds. but with it, it does invite some door knockers.

otherwise, it looks cool

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
EA still has the rights? Seems like something a publisher like THQ would've remastered by now.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
If Simpsons in Lego Dimensions and the Simpsons Arcade1up cab can happen, this can. Someone just has to care enough to try.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Pretty cool that the OG Designer of the game commented on the video.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
Oh man, this was one of my favorite games as a kid. I even remember going over to a friends house just to see how he beat the final few missions because I struggled so hard with it, and I took NOTES. The soundtrack absolutely slapped too.

Really cool that he managed to include a lot of small details that look just like the original game, I'm amazed at the dedication and effort put into this!

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I do appreciate those videos of artists doing something similar with other games but lacking gameplay components, it's neat to see the entire process and an actual playable demo.

Copyright is copyright regardless of whether money is involved. Still cool.
Ehhh... Most publishers only seem to take issue with things like this if they're monetized.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. I enjoyed this detailed making-of explainer much more than I expected to, and ended up watching the whole thing.

Video games are complicated, man.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
While I do appreciate those videos of artists doing something similar with other games but lacking gameplay components, it's neat to see the entire process and an actual playable demo.

Ehhh... Most publishers only seem to take issue with things like this if they're monetized.
Ain't paying a patreon to access a demo of the game monetization?

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the raytrace lighting but the idea is neat

Also, with any....fan whatever always remember the key thing:

woolie-shut-the-fuck-up.gif