• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, so I realized Sims 4 was my favorite game of all time. Not recent games. Of All times. The game just nails all this light and whimsical tone that hits me real in the feels.. The music, the visuals and the settings, everything mixes to create an experience deeply relaxing with with all the depth you want, or that just plays itself aka MK11 towers.

Deep down it's a story telling engine more than anything. There isn't a plot. You construct a tiny being, whose alive and complex and acts according to their own owm whims. Acorrding to the personality you give them. And as the godlike figure you are, you get to intervene and affect their tiny lives as you wish to.

Me, I decided to create a tiny couple of feisty Korean lesbians. One is an ex-guitarist who is now a freelance programmer. Her roommate and red headed girl friend, is an entertainer who wants to be a K-Pop idol. And I just want to....watch them go. I can only use my godly powers to affect them when their whims go against my will lol.

And the game is freaking HUGE from southern ranches town, to surburbia to LA and NY wannabes. Shit there's even a Twin Peaks knockoff. When you hit a Holiday like Halloween, it's fun as as hell. Designing costumes, trick or treating, carving pumpkins. The sheer freedom of it all is pretty mindblowing,

The shit part is that the base game essentially has nothing of that. We are talking about 4 years of paid expansions here. Shit it's sad because IMO it's the richest life simulator ever released but it's basically the cost of a PS4 Pro or a small computer for the whole thing. Me? I went insane and got the entire thing on both PS4 and PC. Cause I liked it that much.

Some posts I made before. I still mean every single word.

Hate to bump my own thread but somehow, since that original post I managed to buy the only remaining DLCs I didn't have. I don't even want a Sim kid and yet I just got the toddler dlc.

Stay away from this one guys. It's a digital drug. I'm not even playing MK11 right now, instead i'm decorating my Sim's goth room in contrast to my other Sim's pop-ish room. Somewhere else the Klump family is starting to build their future political career via crime and other bullshit businesses. I've got a blood countess who's a legitimate vampire.

I've never seen a game with this much to do. Just going out bowling then clubbing, passing out in the streets then calling in sick for work. Carving out pumpkins and decorating for Halloween. Throwing parties and completely fucking up the food. I wanted to find a friend in the restaurant business for my roommates...why wait? Let's make a Gordon Ramsay-like character and lead him to own his own damn place. Or maybe it'll be a lady chef.

It seems that the only limit is my own creativity. You can live in a haunted damn house cause why not? You can be a freaking spy! You can play as realistic as you want, or go batshit. Pretty sure there's aliens in this fucker too. Easily one of my favorite games ever made. And currently most of my gameplay is watching some Asian goth chick in her nightie just chilling at her computer. Or randomly texting people.

They are smart enough to have the agency to live on their own, yet I feel like a benevolent force sometimes having to help when they go off in weird tangents, thanks to their own whims. Except for the Klumps. Fuck the Klumps. As soon as I max crime, business and politics, I'm feeding them to my vampiress.

And to stay on topic, in my own topic, San Myshuno for lyfe!

My Sim now has a roommate who wants to be a singer and musician. While she was practicing her guitar skills at night, the neighbor in front of our place came to talk shit because of the noise, and my Sim ranted, pushed the bitch. So she went back into her own place and started blasting music too. My girl saw red and they got into a fist fight. First in the hallway outside, and then inside my damn place. My Sim lost. Then both my girl and the neighbor sat on the couch and settled their differences, while music girl made some mac and cheese for everybody.

Also my girl took 3rd place in an online kart racing game tournament. Later on both girls somehow got stuck at work for over an entire day. I saved and quit, and when I came back, both gals were back home passed the fuck out ,with all of their stats depleted. My Sim had pissed herself, and literally went to cry in the shower but both had gotten massive raises from their bosses. Also got a trophy from staying up a full day, lol.

Guys...this game is just insane. The amount of detail and possibilities is apparently endless. Every day, has something cool happening. Next up I'm treating them to a spa day I think. They deserve it. This goddamn game! Hnnnng!

If you've never played a Sims game, do it now. Trust me.

Last edited:

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
That last part is so incredibly true. I bought all of the Sims games but almost none of the expansions and the vanilla experience from one to another hardly ever seems like much of an improvement... yet I know that there's a HUGE amount of Sims 4 content out there.

-edit-
Also, haha @ "gamer cred"

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
I would dream of a good technical engine for sims (a big one, I would like them to stop trying minimal configuration like "128 Mb VRAM minimum) while maintaining the graphic style of the Sims 4. BUT, by removing these loading times and these problems of "freeze" at high speed.

When I see the landscapes of the Sims 4, especially in the city, I love to have for something that mixes Urbz, Sims 3 and Sims 4.

The Sims 4 are really good for me, a good homecoming after the Sims 3 quite disappointing, despite the "open world".

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'd written off the Sims after the first one where all I did was build houses since everything else was so boring, but on Christmas I played some of it on my cousin's laptop and damn, it's really fucking addictive. It's a very niche game in forums like these, but I get why you can think that.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
They offered a complete sims 4 package for like 40-60 I'd be willing to try it out tbh. I was always interested in the series

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The Sims series as a whole is one of my favorite things too. I think you could push the first one as a legit game changing masterpiece from a crazy genius designer. It's a bit harder nowadays to describe them as true work of arts with the EA machine behind them, but it doesn't really matter. The things they let you do are on another level, as you said they can let your creativity and imagination run wild like few games can do.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Fuck gamer cred, The Sims is fun as all hell. Sunk so much time into 3, is 4 better or worse now? Got it for free recently.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I like The Sims. I played a lot back in the day, but that was a couple games ago. I picked up 4 while it was free, so I'm thinking about giving it a go again. I've just heard that too much is locked behind DLC.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved 3. How does 4 compare to it?
I heard it was further "casualized" or it was "dumbed down" or something stupid like that.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I like The Sims. I played a lot back in the day, but that was a couple games ago. I picked up 4 while it was free, so I'm thinking about giving it a go again. I've just heard that too much is locked behind DLC.
It's no more than was locked behind DLC in previous games and it is extremely mod friendly and has an extremely active cc community, and the devs themselves regularly release content for free. Also, while it is totally possible to go Sim-addict and buy all the packs like the OP here (don't worry OP, I am in the same Sim-obsessed hole :p) you don't have to and would be something I wouldn't recommend. Different packs suit different playstyles. If you like just playing with a single young sim and going on adventures, I recommend the game pack Jungle Adventures or expansion pack Get Famous. If you like the occult I'd get Vampires, for the best Vampires the Sims have ever done. If you like family play, the game pack Parenthood and expansion Pets would suit you. Ect. You should play a bit and see what best suits you. If you go on youtube, you'll get a pretty comprehensive guide of what each pack has and what would suit you best. And there are sales for the Sims packs literally all the time.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with the last part about Sims 4. The base game was so dry that people were hard on the game at launch for good reason. It lacked toddlers, for example. It's been updated with free things to do/experience along with plenty of QOL changes, but it definitely has the intention of wanting you to go and buy the expansions (which are usually $20 during Origin's storewide holiday sales) to have more content to work with. I only got Get to Work, but I haven't really played 4 since then because I already had quite a few expansions for 3. I did wish 3 would run as good as 4 however (I don't mind the loss of an open world too much).

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
It's no more than was locked behind DLC in previous games and it is extremely mod friendly and has an extremely active cc community, and the devs themselves regularly release content for free. Also, while it is totally possible to go Sim-addict and buy all the packs like the OP here (don't worry OP, I am in the same Sim-obsessed hole :p) you don't have to and would be something I wouldn't recommend. Different packs suit different playstyles. If you like just playing with a single young sim and going on adventures, I recommend the game pack Jungle Adventures or expansion pack Get Famous. If you like the occult I'd get Vampires, for the best Vampires the Sims have ever done. If you like family play, the game pack Parenthood and expansion Pets would suit you. Ect. You should play a bit and see what best suits you. If you go on youtube, you'll get a pretty comprehensive guide of what each pack has and what would suit you best. And there are sales for the Sims packs literally all the time.

I just looked up the DLC, and the pets one is $40?!? Like, if I want a dog, I have to pay $40?

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Been meaning to get into this iteration. I think I heard someone say this is more akin to Sims 2 than 3/1, which I'm fine with. Really wish they'd just bundle all of the DLC together now that they're finished (?) instead of having a clusterfuck of different add ons.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I agree with the last part about Sims 4. The base game was so dry that people were hard on the game at launch for good reason. It's been updated with free things to do/experience along with plenty of QOL changes, but it definitely has the intention of wanting you to go and buy the expansions (which are usually $20 during Origin's storewide holiday sales) to have more content to work with. I only got Get to Work, but I haven't really played 4 since then because I already had quite a few expansions for 3. I did wish 3 would run as good as 4 however (I don't mind the loss of an open world too much).
I would argue that the base game for the Sims 2 and 3 actually runs into similar issues as the Sims 4 base game, in that you compare them to your previous iteration where you have a lot of packs so it feels more empty - though Sims 4 was missing things at launch, those things have been patched in and imo are actually done better then some of the previous iterations - I love how they did toddlers and the terrain tool is so good to use. I feel like the Sims 4 isx more a sucessor to the Sims 2 than Sims 3. I loved Sims 2 but the Sims 3 never really clicked with me as it felt kinda of claustrobic being stuck in the one town for a single save and you couldn't switch to another household without ending up messing up where your prvious household was at. Sims 4 felt like more of an improved Sims 2 to me.

I just looked up the DLC, and the pets one is $40?!? Like, if I want a dog, I have to pay $40?
Always. wait. for. sales. And it's an expansion. You get alot of content in an expansion pack, a new active career, new world, loads of new items, plus the most in depth Pet creator they have ever had. - also the Pets expansion ia always one of the hardest expansions for them to make, it takes them at least two years to make. So it's not just a "dog". And again. ALWAYS. WAIT. FOR. SALES. Unless you are an ddict like me and have no hope.

Been meaning to get into this iteration. I think I heard someone say this is more akin to Sims 2 than 3/1, which I'm fine with. Really wish they'd just bundle all of the DLC together now that they're finished (?) instead of having a clusterfuck of different add ons.
The Sims 4 isn't finshed yet - they are still likely to be releasing content for at least a couple more years. A new expansion is prob going to announced at EA play.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I really couldnt get into the sims 4 and ive loved all sims PC games before it, sims 3 being my absolute favorite.
Vanilla sims 4 is absolutely terrible and i got bored 4 hours into it. Still gave it another chance downloading a TON of mods and, true, it was more fun and better than my first day with it, in fact i played around 40 hours. Still worse than my experience with any older sims game (talking about vanilla versions here). and this is supposedly the incredibly improved version and not what people got ripped off at release.
The building house mode is amazing though.

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I heard it was further "casualized" or it was "dumbed down" or something stupid like that.
The open world is gone. You can't get in a car or walk down the neighborhood anymore. The maps look good but they feel like they have at most 3 lots to choose from on (the other 3 are taken by NPCs) and there's like 5 public lots you can visit (all with loading screens).

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
You made me reinstall The Sims 3, thank you.

I got 4 for free on Origin, but will wait a sale to play with the expansions.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Always. wait. for. sales. And it's an expansion. You get alot of content in an expansion pack, a new active career, new world, loads of new items, plus the most in depth Pet creator they have ever had. - also the Pets expansion ia always one of the hardest expansions for them to make, it takes them at least two years to make. So it's not just a "dog". And again. ALWAYS. WAIT. FOR. SALES. Unless you are an ddict like me and have no hope.

I didn't intend to suggest that the expansion was just a dog. I was wondering if buying the expansion is the only way to get a dog.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The open world is gone. You can't get in a car or walk down the neighborhood anymore. The maps look good but they feel like they have at most 3 lots to choose from on (the other 3 are taken by NPCs) and there's like 5 public lots you can visit (all with loading screens).
This isn't right? You get three worlds in base game, and you can visit and live in all the worlds in the same save (unlike in Sims 3). There's more lots than that in the worlds - also they aren't "NPCs", just Maxis created familiesw that you can play, you can move them out and move your own families in, edit the lots, do what ever you want. You can switch a lot from "public" to "private" whenever you want to. Heck, there's a world that just something like 20 something empty lost for yopu to just build and move families in/make public places.
I didn't intend to suggest that the expansion was just a dog. I was wondering if buying the expansion is the only way to get a dog.
Sorry, got confused. Yeah, it's the only way I think, I don't thinks there's any mod out there that makes a pet like a dog like that, as it takes the Sims team long enough to make them as it is quite complicated and a lot of work. So you kinda need the expansion if you want a dog.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have Sims on the mind myself lately. Last week I wanted to get into a Sims game again, but since my current computer sucks I had to do with Sims 1, lol.

I only played vanilla back in the day, but this time I went with the complete edition. The vanilla game was still fine, but the expansions... kinda suck? They have a very intense focus on a particular thing (being famous, magic, pets), but if you're like me and don't really care about that then you're basically still playing with just the vanilla tools. The only difference that now I had a daily "most famous" magazine I had to recycle and I had wild dogs and cats running all over the place, opening doors and getting in my way.

So uh, I'll try again in the future with a different Sims.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Not my favorite game, but it is a game I keep coming back every few month, and never realize how much time I end up spending on it ( a lot ). Modding helps a lot.

I mostly wish we had :
- deeper autonomy for non player sims
- University Life
- VR ( one can dream )

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
The game was a huge disappointment at release, but they have really turned things around with free updates and interesting expansions. I no longer play TS3. That game had interesting ideas, but it ran so badly that it was frustrating to play. I hope TS5 tries open world, create-a-style, and story progression (you can mod this feature into TS4 btw) again, but only if they actually work well.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they hold off on TS5 for at least 5 years. At that point, even the most basic of laptops should be able to support open world.

Their #1 problem with TS4 was 32bit compatibility, which they're cutting off this month.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
I would argue that the base game for the Sims 2 and 3 actually runs into similar issues as the Sims 4 base game, in that you compare them to your previous iteration where you have a lot of packs so it feels more empty - though Sims 4 was missing things at launch, those things have been patched in and imo are actually done better then some of the previous iterations - I love how they did toddlers and the terrain tool is so good to use. I feel like the Sims 4 isx more a sucessor to the Sims 2 than Sims 3. I loved Sims 2 but the Sims 3 never really clicked with me as it felt kinda of claustrobic being stuck in the one town for a single save and you couldn't switch to another household without ending up messing up where your prvious household was at. Sims 4 felt like more of an improved Sims 2 to me.
You do have a point about the base game of 3 and how it would feel empty had I played 2 with expansions beforehand. I guess as someone who owns expansions, it's a little harder to take in that I'll have to get something like the Cats and Dogs expansion when I currently have Pets in 3. I just feel that the base game for 4 during launch lacked some things you would think would be normally there such as pools.

When I feel the need to, I'll buy a couple expansions at sale that I'm interested in like I did with Get to Work and see if that'll convince me to play 4 as much as I did with 3.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
4 is still just kinda a disappointment to me. It looks nice and plays fairly well, and some of the expansions adds new fairly interesting things, but overall it's just so much less ambitious than 3 was, and it really doesn't feel like we gained that much in return. The performance problems with 3 always felt somewhat overblown, it ran okayish unless you had a ridiculous numbers of expansions, and the game really just felt a lot more open and more customizable. Sims 4 often times just feels so constrictive, like in City Living, where you literally can't even go into the apartment on the other side of the hallway without having to see a load screen.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hand in you nae nae privileges

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck gamer cred, The Sims is fun as all hell. Sunk so much time into 3, is 4 better or worse now? Got it for free recently.

Besides the small map size and lack of open world in all but downtown I like 4 better in basically every way now. If the next expansion (probably about to be announced for E3) is University, I might even like it more than 2. They've been pretty good (by EA standards) with adding free content every so often in addition to the multitude of paid options.

I can see them releasing an expansion each year for like 4-5 more before eventually making a Sims 5, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017

More a side-grade. We lost open world and create a style, both big blows. But the art style is way better, it is more stable and loads way quicker, and the create-a-is and builder tools are very powerful.

On release it was in way rougher shape, missing pools, toddlers and other staples. To their credit, they free updated the shit out of it and it's in much better shape.

Also base game and a 1-2 xpacks with 1-2 game packs (mini expansions) can take you a long way for 40 to 60. They go on sale pretty regularly.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
The Sims has never really been able to keep my interest for long stretches of time, but I get the appeal. Who doesn't like in depth character creators, and the ability to generate your own story with your own cast can be great. It's a fun sandbox, I just can't invest the money to get all the tools that make the experience more interesting or fun. Maybe during the holidays, if there is a big sale I'll try 4.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did this ever received M+KB support on Xbox? I want to play it but A) don't have a PC and don't plan to and B) Sims with a controller feels bad for me.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
Not my favorite game, but it is a game I keep coming back every few month, and never realize how much time I end up spending on it ( a lot ). Modding helps a lot.

I mostly wish we had :
- deeper autonomy for non player sims
- University Life
- VR ( one can dream )

manofculture.JPG

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I was gifted The Sims 4 and pretty much all of the expansions and honestly it is an incredibly overwhelming game if you start with EVERYTHING installed. It took me quite a while to get a grasp on things.

Also, mods. Mods everywhere.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
I am still expecting a sims 5 announcement at E3 given the release cycle of major entries.

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed 2 and 3.

But the base game of the Sims 4 is just a travesty, they removed stuff from other games just to be released as DLC.

Best memories of these series were University Life

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The Sims is great. Sims 4 is probably the best playing version of the sims, though yeah, we needed the University expansion like yesterday. My poor teens are stuck in high school purgatory!

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Is 4 available on Pro/X with enhancements? Is the console version good compared to PC? Are there any complete or near complete expansion bundles?

I loved Sims 1 and 2. I missed so many college classes playing the series.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked The Sims 1, when it first came out, the demo before it was out even. The idea was to survive, and build an environment for your sim to survive, like Sim City. Well if it wasn't, that's how I took it. In the newer sims you can auto pilot them forever and I doubt they will die or fail. It seem to be more of a social internet game now. Post pictures of your sims on instagram, create stories and share the stories with other sim fans. Record (in game button, along with the in game sreen shot) weddings, births, first steps, first dates, yadda yadda.

I always freeze aging and delete kids. Never messed with pets, or the holiday stuff, sims hardly had enough time for their job and needs as it was.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why anyone would be ashamed if Sims 4 was their favourite game? They're fun simulation games where you have loads of flexibility to tell your own stories. Plus you can woohoo.