• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
So there's a sale for stuff packs going on and I wanted to know y'all opinions on which packs are worth picking up.
Stuff packs are the most personal ones. Someone might be very into the style of the fitness pack, while someone else really prefer the vintage glam style or the movie hangout vibe. Do you play a lot with kids? If so, toddler and kids room might be a good idea. If not then they are useless.

Check the contents of each pack on Origin and get a feel for what would suit your game.

(also beaten, haha)

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff packs that add new hair for toddlers and kids are a must. They barely have any options in the base game.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the series since Sims 2 and my boyfriend got me into Sims 4 just in time to get Realm of Magic and oh man, all the things I loved about the Sims came right back. I especially have loved the art style and tone of the game, it's so light and whimsical.

Plus, Realm of Magic has been a blast, I've been toying with all its mechanics and grinding out spell and potion knowledge like crazy. I'm so excited every day to go home and play some more. I'm already excited by the prospect of University if leaks are true!

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talking about Realm of Magic, how do people replace the main study place with the super cool looking ones from the Gallery? I can't find Build mode in there!

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Replacing the headquarters is a game changer. Once you add a bed, you never need to leave. But the lot is big enough for a bunch of amenities too.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to a dummy how to do laundry? I have a washer and a drier and a hamper. But I have no options to do anything with them. There's literally nothing but a Wicked Whims prompt when I click on them.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to a dummy how to do laundry? I have a washer and a drier and a hamper. But I have no options to do anything with them. There's literally nothing but a Wicked Whims prompt when I click on them.
Did you collect all the dirty laundry first? It's usually in piles around the house.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
As your sims change clothes to go to bed and exercise, they generate laundry. After that has happened, then you can do stuff with your washer and dryer.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will report with my success or lackthereof.

Edit. I failed. Changing clothes only removed the negative emotion of wearing dirty clothes. Hamper is still empty and I still see no option. My teen is doomed to a life of dirtyness. It's all over.

Last edited:

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Cross posting from the EA Access thread in case someone can help.\

I have a PS4 and use the EU store.

Could someone check the hub and help me out with the prices?

The Sims 4 is on offer but it says you can save an additional 38% through EA Access and I am thinking of starting my 1st month now.

Are the expansions also cheaper though Access? Do they get the 10% advertised?

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I have Origin Access on PC and the extra 10% discount is always added to the sales discount- so if the normal discount is 30%, the Origin Access discount is 40%.
Nah, on the sale that is going on now I have 55% off on the titles that are 50% off for people without Access, and 78% on the 75% ones, meaning members simply get the 50% or 75% sale on their already 10% lower price.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Nah, on the sale that is going on now I have 55% off on the titles that are 50% off for people without Access, and 78% on the 75% ones, meaning members simply get the 50% or 75% sale on their already 10% lower price.
I wonder if that's a recent thing cus it defo showed the other way for me in the past - and I took full advantage of it 0_0 Now I'm questioning if it was meant to show that way.... Let's not tell EA lol

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
The only Stuff Pack I don't have now is First Pet Stuff, and I'm not buying that trash.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I actually recommend My First Pet Stuff on a sale. It has a nice hairstyle that I use a lot, some nice clothes, great kids room stuff and the small pets are cute.
I get that people really hate it for being an expansion to an expansion and all that, but I just like the stuff.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I will report with my success or lackthereof.

Edit. I failed. Changing clothes only removed the negative emotion of wearing dirty clothes. Hamper is still empty and I still see no option. My teen is doomed to a life of dirtyness. It's all over.
As you play, the hamper should start collecting clothes automatically, or sims will leave their clothes lying around the house, if there's no hamper nearby. You can have your sims collect dirty laundry into a hamper, if it's strewn about the house.

Then it's: load clothes into washer, start washer, let it run, load clothes from washer into dryer (or hang on clothesline), clean lint trap (if previously used), run dryer, run dryer some more (if clothes still say "damp"), then you can either set out clothes (appears in folded pile) or put away (both happen instantly).

The washer and dryer to not auto-start when clothes are loaded; you have the opportunity to load more in (and clean lint trap) before starting.

And the most important part: crossing your fingers all the while that neither washer nor dryer breaks during operation.

Deleted member 4208

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend installing the lint-less upgrade on the dryer ASAP. It eliminates a step in the process and you don't have to worry about your Sim getting incinerated.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend installing the lint-less upgrade on the dryer ASAP. It eliminates a step in the process and you don't have to worry about your Sim getting incinerated.

Yeah the dryer suuuuuckkkks without this.

Basically in Sims if anything "has a chance" of fucking up your Sim assume it will and disable it, unless you don't care if they die as the odds are way higher than real life to ensure people get to see the content.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips y'all! I'll try to keep my teen clean. It's only happening to her for some reason.

ordinaryfamilyhnk9m.jpg

Meet the Haywood's! My first actual family I've ever played in the Sims. Usually I always make two Sims households. It's a handful. Thank God Xena the cat is automated. The dad Ronnie, wants to be the next Gordon Ramsay.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I actually recommend My First Pet Stuff on a sale. It has a nice hairstyle that I use a lot, some nice clothes, great kids room stuff and the small pets are cute.
I get that people really hate it for being an expansion to an expansion and all that, but I just like the stuff.
While I do take issue with the "expansion of an expansion" my main reason for avoiding it is that the stuff it adds just doesn't appeal to me. I just looked at the contents to see if maybe I was wrong... And it's still a nope for me!

This is everything:

NejDpAj.png

The clothing options(for Sims) are sad. 4 re-skinned t-shirts, a hamspter costume, and some pajamas. The rest is pet costumes which I would never use because I just think they look bad. The 2 hairstyles are ok. The kids room stuff is fine, but I don't tend to keep my Sims in the toddler/child range for very long so what I have from the other packs is more than enough for me.

Anyway, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade!

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
my main reason for avoiding it is that the stuff it adds just doesn't appeal to me.
Oh yeah that's the reason I don't usually answer with specific packs when people ask for stuff pack recommendations! Definitely understand that. I was just arguing that the pack isn't actually "trash". ;)

Stuff packs are heavily themed on purpose and yeah Pet Stuff would be a pretty bad purchase if you don't play kids, don't usually play with pets or at least don't dress them up.

Every time I look up a pack I get surprised by how many of the items I like and regularly use. Like that short hair from MFPS which is one of my favs!

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will take this moment to mention that if I was in charge of The Sims 5, the pets at launch would be : Cats, tarantulas, iguanas, snakes, hamsters.

That's it. Then there would be a Cats stuff pack. Which adds even more cats. And that's the end of pet DLC.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah that's the reason I don't usually answer with specific packs when people ask for stuff pack recommendations! Definitely understand that. I was just arguing that the pack isn't actually "trash". ;)

Stuff packs are heavily themed on purpose and yeah Pet Stuff would be a pretty bad purchase if you don't play kids, don't usually play with pets or at least don't dress them up.

Every time I look up a pack I get surprised by how many of the items I like and regularly use. Like that short hair from MFPS which is one of my favs!
I mean, trash was probably a bit harsh? I just wish I could hide the icon on my main screen! It taunts me every time I load the game.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I have been hyping the Human Enough Challenge, but after finishing my worlds I actually started a 100 Baby Challenge instead. A friend started streaming it three times a week and we've been talking about Kelsey's series for ages.
I don't really play by the official rules tho due to having mods that slow down time a little and changes the lifespan (something in between normal and long because normal is too short and long is absurdly long).

I need to max toddlers to age them up, not just get to level 3 in everything like in the official rules. Kids need to finish two levels of their aspirations (sadly max is too hard since it requires reaching 10 in a skill) and not only be a grade A students. Same for teens, the original rule just says grade A student but my teens need to get a skill up to... something, have not really decided yet. Just got my first teen in the house. I had level 3 in mind but it's too easy, she picked up writing by herself and blazed through it.

My babymama needs to get gold level dates with the potential babypapa, not just woohoo anyone at any time. She can't get a new kid before the baby has become a toddler which means she will age a bit faster since she can't be preggers all the time. The house becomes crowded anyway since it takes longer to age out the kids.

It has been really fun. I get to give the kids more of a personality and I can't rush it as much. It's still hectic and crazy enough so I'm satisfied.
Oh and I play with mood swings while pregnant. It cycles +5 moods with a 2 hour duration, no way to shorten it. It's good when she's focused or energized, terrible when she gets furious or very uncomfortable. Poor kids!

I will take this moment to mention that if I was in charge of The Sims 5, the pets at launch would be : Cats, tarantulas, iguanas, snakes, hamsters.

That's it. Then there would be a Cats stuff pack. Which adds even more cats. And that's the end of pet DLC.
Add alpacas and I'm okay with it.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is Sims 4 officially better than Sims 3 now? Last time I checked on Sims 4 was within a year of its release and everyone hated it back then. This thread made me want to try Sims 4 out tho

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Is Sims 4 officially better than Sims 3 now? Last time I checked on Sims 4 was within a year of its release and everyone hated it back then. This thread made me want to try Sims 4 out tho
Base game is on sale at Target for $10. (No free shipping kind of kills the deal, but you can do store pickup for free, or get free shipping if you have more stuff to order.) Frequently goes on sale on Origin, too, but not at the moment.

As for whether it's better than 3, it really depends on what pushed you away from the game at launch. They have added a lot to the game via free updates since launch. There was a more complete list further back in the thread, but some of the highlights: basements, terrain tools, more ceiling options, pools, ghosts, toddlers, a second neighborhood with a bunch of open lots, some additional careers. And of course there's a ton of stuff available in DLC packs. I never really went back to 3; I know a lot of people liked the open neighborhood travel and create-a-style tool, which are missing from 4. But 3 was also not optimized well for newer hardware and tended to run poorly after a while, even on a beefy PC.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Base game is on sale at Target for $10. (No free shipping kind of kills the deal, but you can do store pickup for free, or get free shipping if you have more stuff to order.) Frequently goes on sale on Origin, too, but not at the moment.

As for whether it's better than 3, it really depends on what pushed you away from the game at launch. They have added a lot to the game via free updates since launch. There was a more complete list further back in the thread, but some of the highlights: basements, terrain tools, more ceiling options, pools, ghosts, toddlers, a second neighborhood with a bunch of open lots, some additional careers. And of course there's a ton of stuff available in DLC packs. I never really went back to 3; I know a lot of people liked the open neighborhood travel and create-a-style tool, which are missing from 4. But 3 was also not optimized well for newer hardware and tended to run poorly after a while, even on a beefy PC.
I think the main thing that turned me off was the reintroduction of loading screens. Feels like such a step back but I don't think I'll care as much about that these days. How are the load times?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I think the main thing that turned me off was the reintroduction of loading screens. Feels like such a step back but I don't think I'll care as much about that these days. How are the load times?
I have the game on SSD, and just at a guess, it's maybe a few seconds traveling between zones? It's not instant, but I'm never just sitting there waiting long. First load of a save takes longer, but loading between zones is pretty quick.

Spoder

Oct 24, 2017
The loading screen is not ideal and take me out of the immersion but at least it doesn't trigger when the characters roam about in their neighbourhood, only when they visit their neighbour's house or going some place.

Also it's kinda lame that some people in this thread want to exclude people who like dogs. Way to be inclusive, yay :P.

Last edited:

Spoder

Oct 24, 2017
Stop taking this so seriously lol. Plus you'd still have the best pet, cats.

It's kinda rich that you tell others how to feel. If we are in the business of telling others how to feel, maybe you should reflect that your opinion might make others feel unwelcome in this thread instead?

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
It's kinda rich that you tell others how to feel. If we are in the business of telling others how to feel, maybe you should reflect that your opinion might make others feel unwelcome in this thread instead?
They were making a joke, no ones actually thinking of removing dogs. You are being very aggressive over something that doesn't matter. Tone it down.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was just a joke. I didn't mean to be mean or anything.

Spoder

Oct 24, 2017
They were making a joke, no ones actually thinking of removing dogs. You are being very aggressive over something that doesn't matter. Tone it down.

Even if it was a joke, it was unnecessarily mean. When I read it the first time, I tried to ignore it but I decided not to since I feel it's important to call out such non inclusive remark. I've met a lot of people who want to take options from games. I thought we are supposed to be a progressive community in this forum, that welcomes everyone.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Even if it was a joke, it was unnecessarily mean. When I read it the first time, I tried to ignore it but I decided not to since I feel it's important to call out such non inclusive remark. I've met a lot of people who want to take options from games. I thought we are supposed to be a progressive community in this forum, that welcomes everyone.
Liking dogs is not a protected class, you are not a minority or being persecuted for that. Please do not co-op the language people use to advocate for actual persecuted groups. It's inappropriate. They made a joke, it wasn't at your expense, they aren't actually wanting rid of dogs, stop it.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I have two dogs of a pretty unusual breed, the Bedlington Terrier. You can imagine the joy when I noticed that they had included "my" breed in the game!

I wouldn't actually want a pet pack without dogs, I was simply joining in on what was clearly a lighthearted joke. Can't see anything mean about it.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
When I started seeing my girlfriend, we talked a bit about games and she said she played the Sims - more recently she showed her origin stats. She's logged almost 3,000 hours at present.

Spoder

Oct 24, 2017
Liking dogs is not a protected class, you are not a minority or being persecuted for that. Please do not co-op the language people use to advocate for actual persecuted groups. It's inappropriate. They made a joke, it wasn't at your expense, they aren't actually wanting rid of dogs, stop it.

I guess if you want to see it that way? I read the joke and thought it was mean enough to call it out, so that they know that some throwaway jokes can actually make people feel bad. When they respond, are you expecting me not to respond back? They could also ignore my remark and stop it.

I have said what I want to say on the matter though, so yeah, let's move on.