• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Well, time to unlock University with a VPN :)
Oh wow right, I had forgotten what day it is!
It unlocks here in just half an hour! Time to update my mods then!

Edit: Looks like some CC shelves crash the game and showers and beds are broken. I will wait to play until Peace has fixed his stuff at least.

Last edited:

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Unlocked University using a VPN.

I deleted all of my CC because my game was broken beyond belief. It loads very quickly now, but all of my townies are bald and in their underwear hahaha.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on my third term(of 4 - I'm only doing 3 classes at a time). It's definitely hectic, though I've managed to get A+ in all of my classes for the first 2 terms. Be sure to apply for more scholarships each term as I actually made $1,200 after tuition was deducted on my second term because I qualified for more of them.

My only gripe so far is that my roommates seem to randomly swap out, which is frustrating. I had one that I assigned to my room on the first day and started to befriend and then after 2-3 days he vanished. Because the bed was assigned to him already no one actually moved into my room, but I had a different roommate who would randomly show up when I was at the commons or library and have the little group icon over him. I also made over a bunch of the other people and then they also moved out mid-term. They show up on campus everywhere, but don't live in my dorm. I've moved to the other dorm now so we'll see what happens.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The roommate generation is kind of rough. Some of the folks the game gave me... like a middle aged vampire that literally looks like Jim Pickens.

I need to set up that MCCC setting where it imports townies I've downloaded from the gallery.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm stuck with an odd problem thanks to Wicked Whims. I moved out my Sim into Britechester, and now I have no more mailbox. The one at the starter home doesn't seem to bring me my period pills. That'll be one heck of a school experience, lemme tell ya. Also where the hell does all that food comes from? My Sim can gorge herself on all the burgers and cookies in the world that the entire dorm seem to be making...somewhere.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The roommates bring food from home. 😂

But sometimes they just leave a giant ass roast chicken on the table unattended, and I'm like... ??? OK...

I think it's to counteract the lack of a cafeteria in the Maxis builds. But there's already two storey builds in the gallery that have cafeterias in the dorms which I recommend downloading.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually just had roommate roast chicken! Wondering if Limsimsie or Plumbella already uploaded their inevitable renovations.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
The roommates bring food from home. 😂

But sometimes they just leave a giant ass roast chicken on the table unattended, and I'm like... ??? OK...

I think it's to counteract the lack of a cafeteria in the Maxis builds. But there's already two storey builds in the gallery that have cafeterias in the dorms which I recommend downloading.
It's such a pain to have to go to the commons to eat, or rely on microwaves which give you negative moodlets.

Deleted member 4208

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried starting a fresh game splitting my starter sims between the two campuses and it's tough getting all of their work done. I decided to restart after realizing that "1 day left" in the term is the last day. Some of my sims missed giving their presentations and their grades sucked as a result. I think what I'll try is just have all eight of them live off-campus as roommates together and commute to campus.

Bikes don't seem to be that helpful. This may get fixed but I had one sim waste almost an hour of game time getting on and off their bike while going nowhere and was late to class.

I do appreciate that time management is more crucial and you really need to plan your sims' time carefully, though.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
So I graduated with a Distinguished Physics Degree w/ Honors. Note that careers that branch will have their own entry on the job list for the branch your degree will boost(ie: Physics boosts mechanical engineer, so it will appear on the career list separately from engineer). I didn't realize this at first and when I chose Engineer I was level 1 in the career. When I switched to the right one, it gave me like $3-4k and started me at rank 7 or 8.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's a huge boost. Seems like degrees are in a lot of my Sims's futures.

Deleted member 4208

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they dial down the inter-school rivalry autonomous interactions in a future patch. I have a house with 4 students from each school and half of their interactions are talking shit to students of the other school generally resulting in anger and bad reputations.

It's nice seeing the Pleasant twins again, though! That was a nice surprise. My starter sims are updated versions of the ones I made in The Sims 2 so it's like a little reunion. And while he's not in the game yet, I did see a reference to the man, the myth, the absolute legend, Goopy Gilscarbo in (I think) a class name.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I've had the proper time to digest it...Is it just me or is Discover University the 2nd best expansion pack behind Seasons? I mean, it's as in depth and as crazy in terms of story-telling opportunities as I wanted. It's very gameplay intensive and time management is key but it makes for one hell of a hands-on, exciting expansion. Also my Sim is a total cutie patootie, don't at me!

unisimjgks0.jpg

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I also really enjoy it - definitely one of the best. I also think it is the best iteration of Uni, though the Sims 2 is close. I wish it was a little less intense at times, because I found it hard to find time for Organizations... but I was also super focused on grades, so that is on me.

Here's my Physics major:
BqfBhjI.png

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me that I need to change up my Sims's teeth from time to time. Maybe mah girl needs braces or something.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell do my university Sim suddenly owe 3000$ to the Landgraabs? She's living in a dorm on a loan. I ain't got that cash! What the fuck happened?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This is definitely the best pack since Seasons. They didn't add as much as they could have, but the entire university setting adds so much to this game, and it's more seamless than Sims 2 or Sims 3.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the Sims since Sims 1. I picked up 4 on sale a few weeks ago but haven't installed it yet. Something about Island Living really appeals to me so planning to pick that up shortly. I've heard nothing but good things about Seasons so probably going to pick that up too (hoping for a half off sale for Black Friday).

Is this a good plan to start with? Base game + Island Living + Seasons?

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll always stand up for Island Living so yeah, I'd say you'd be golden with that plan. Check out my and Spyware''s packs overviews!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the LRG review of the pack and it does seem like an actual nice expansion. Ive always loved all of the University expansions in the 3 games that had them, is probably my favourite so its cool to see its also good here.
A little dissapointed, as Sims4 is not as sandboxy as 3, and thats why i thought it could have push the envelope in this case, is make the classes actual assistance things isntead of rabbit holes, or stuff with the teachers.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game basically greets you with a message and showcase of "Congrats your game just got more awesome!" when you load it up after getting DLC and that's it! Everything integrates seamlessly into the game. And then variety becomes the spice of life. I kind of want to go roleplay a vampire who wants to learn how to not die from sunlight, so they can move to Sulani!

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
The results from the Stuff Pack voting are in and err... well. Arts & Crafts won. At least there is something extra for elders to do? Not saying knitting is only for elders ofc, just that it's something they can do and is fitting for them. I thought Arts & Crafts was the least interesting one so kinda disappointed. But I bet they'll make it interesting somehow. We'll see!

I'm interested in seeing the next one tho. In Laundry the art style vote was pretty easy to figure out, hyper modern or rustic? What do you think we get to choose between when it comes to this theme? I can't really think of two completely different ways to do it.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Origin does have a Black Friday sale going on. Looks like...
  • 55% off Expansion Packs ($17.99)
    • University is just 10% off ($35.99)
  • 33% off Game Packs ($13.49)
  • 10% off Stuff packs ($8.99)
  • Base game $4.49 (Deluxe $6.74)
The 10% off packs don't show up under the BF sale link above.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The results from the Stuff Pack voting are in and err... well. Arts & Crafts won. At least there is something extra for elders to do? Not saying knitting is only for elders ofc, just that it's something they can do and is fitting for them. I thought Arts & Crafts was the least interesting one so kinda disappointed. But I bet they'll make it interesting somehow. We'll see!

I'm interested in seeing the next one tho. In Laundry the art style vote was pretty easy to figure out, hyper modern or rustic? What do you think we get to choose between when it comes to this theme? I can't really think of two completely different ways to do it.
I wanted the Haunts one so bad. Dammit!

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017

Darn. I was hoping for Happy Haunts or Fun-Tech to win.

Deleted member 4208

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know there are better ways for sims to earn money at college, but I thought it was funny that they could:
  1. Become a spell caster
  2. Learn Copypasto
  3. Buy textbooks from the stand
  4. Copypasto the books
  5. Sell those massive copyright infringements right in front of the college bookstore at a discount (may require City Living for the street sale table)
  6. Fuck you Pearson
That stuff pack is the least exciting option there, so of course it won. Leave it to the Sims community-at-large to vote for the worst option every time.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I wanted the Haunts one so bad. Dammit!
Darn. I was hoping for Happy Haunts or Fun-Tech to win.
Yeah I'm a Haunts voter too. :(

I think there are more "real life simulation" players than I thought there were. I knew lots of people refuse to get things like vampires and magic and either skip packs with aliens or mod them out, but more people than I expected seem to have wanted something more realistic. Maybe the fact that we just got a magic pack made a lot of people feel less interested in yet another supernatural one?

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Loved The Sims back in the day. Got all nostalgic about it the other day and bought The Sims 4 whilst it's on the Black Friday sale on PSN. Any recommendations for those of us who haven't played it since the days of 1 and 2 and the expansions?

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Loved The Sims back in the day. Got all nostalgic about it the other day and bought The Sims 4 whilst it's on the Black Friday sale on PSN. Any recommendations for those of us who haven't played it since the days of 1 and 2 and the expansions?
Seasons is always pretty necessary. The other expansion packs/game packs depend on what time of playstyle you are after and I generally recommend playing about the game first to see what you prefer. Stuff packs depend entirely on personal taste on what style you prefer. If you require sugestions now because of the Sale, do you remember how you liked to play Sims 1 and 2? Or what your fav packs for those iterations were? It would help with making suggestions.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Seasons is always pretty necessary. The other expansion packs/game packs depend on what time of playstyle you are after and I generally recommend playing about the game first to see what you prefer. Stuff packs depend entirely on personal taste on what style you prefer. If you require sugestions now because of the Sale, do you remember how you liked to play Sims 1 and 2? Or what your fav packs for those iterations were? It would help with making suggestions.

University, Nightlife, Seasons and Open for Business for 2, I believe. 1 was so long ago now I can't remember lol.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
University, Nightlife, Seasons and Open for Business for 2, I believe. 1 was so long ago now I can't remember lol.
Well, Discover University just c ame out and is getting good reviews. Dine Out Game pack gives restaurants and allows you to run one and is really fun and there's also the Vampire Game Pack which gives the best Vampires of any iteration - that's the closest really to Nightlife. There's City Living but it's not so much like Nightlife gameplay so much as giving your Sims a lifestyle of living in the City with apartments, street art, festivials, markets and a few active careers like Politics and some others. A lot of the "Living" expansion packs are less fundamental gameplay changes that affect every Sim, and more about letting your Sim experience a certain way of life in a certain local. For being able to make a Business, you need Get To Work which also has Aliens, Baking, Photography skill, Active careers of Doctor, Detective and Scientist.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Check out my and Spyware''s packs overviews (we got the best overviews. tremendous overviews), there's a lot to digest but the beauty of the game is that you can easily customize it around your tastes, when it comes to the DLC.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Well, Discover University just c ame out and is getting good reviews. Dine Out Game pack gives restaurants and allows you to run one and is really fun and there's also the Vampire Game Pack which gives the best Vampires of any iteration - that's the closest really to Nightlife. There's City Living but it's not so much like Nightlife gameplay so much as giving your Sims a lifestyle of living in the City with apartments, street art, festivials, markets and a few active careers like Politics and some others. A lot of the "Living" expansion packs are less fundamental gameplay changes that affect every Sim, and more about letting your Sim experience a certain way of life in a certain local. For being able to make a Business, you need Get To Work which also has Aliens, Baking, Photography skill, Active careers of Doctor, Detective and Scientist.

Ahahaha. Aliens and Baking. What a combo.
Definitely checking out the Detective career. City Living sounds neat as well. Will check out the Vampire Game Pack for sure as well. Thanks.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Check out my and Spyware''s packs overviews (we got the best overviews. tremendous overviews), there's a lot to digest but the beauty of the game is that you can easily customize it around your tastes, when it comes to the DLC.

Reading through it now. Thanks for the detailed lowdown!

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I need the Discover University to go on sale. We'll probably get something closer to the holidays, but the wait is hard.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing a lot of this game recently. I bought a bunch of Sims 3 expansions as well just in case I felt like playing that. But I think the visual style is a big reason why I like TS4. The characters are really expressive and its fun to watch their animations. TS3 is kind of ugly in comparison.

So I guess to my question. I have Seasons, Parenthood, and Laundry Day. Right now I'm wondering if people would recommend the University Expansion or two other pieces of dlc since they're on sale.
Right now I'm thinking City Living + Get to Work or Dine Out.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I almost bought a bunch of the packs on Origin, but then I remembered it's coming to Steam. I'm gonna be patient and wait for the Steam release before I drop cash on the various packs. I hope we get a release date soon.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
My wife is trying to play the sims but every time she modifies the sim and attempts to either click play or save to a household it reverts all the changes she made back to the default look.

Is this a known bug? I've had a look and I can't see anything obvious.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess to my question. I have Seasons, Parenthood, and Laundry Day. Right now I'm wondering if people would recommend the University Expansion or two other pieces of dlc since they're on sale.
Right now I'm thinking City Living + Get to Work or Dine Out.

Discover University is one of the best expansions they have made but City Living+ Get to Work is also a tempting deal. You can't lose in this situation. Whatever you pick, you win. But still...two expansions for the price of one is hell of a deal.

My wife is trying to play the sims but every time she modifies the sim and attempts to either click play or save to a household it reverts all the changes she made back to the default look.

Is this a known bug? I've had a look and I can't see anything obvious.

That's odd. Can't say I've heard of a bug like that. Like when she saves the household, it works but the Sims have reverted to default?