• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
With AW2 seemingly getting news soon I think it's good to look back at what they originally pitched the Microsoft before it was rejected.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQRUx-w6t4s

A particular game design highlight of this pitch video is the part where they were reemphasizing over and over again that they wanted enemies to interact with the environment dynamically in order to increase the scare factor (presented through scripted instances ofc).
ZGnQqgu.gif

6GFPrLi.gif

Z5SPLDy.gif

I feel like this is a super interesting idea gameplay wise that, if done right could lead to some really dynamic scenarios while simultaneously making for a unique gameplay sandbox in the horror genre. Since AW2 is a next gen only title I hope they revisit these ideas.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Oh that looked really cool tbh
Like i'd be freaking out if six enemies appeared out of nowhere and they were climbing over and around objects in the environment that react naturalistically I'd be terrified, especially since they were possibly responding to the criticism of the slow motion enemy introduction.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I can't wait, one of the best games Iv'e ever played.
Didn't think we needed another after the standalone though.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I followed the development of Alan Wake for years. Was bummed when they ditched the open world with dynamic weather concept.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Even back then it was always pitched as a standalone adventure because BTS they were just testing ideas for AW2. It even reuses the crow-man idea they developed for this prototype. Elements like Mr. Scratch being a malicious entity who looks identical to Alan Wake are being brought back though.

so has it been announced? or are we expecting it to be announced soon now?
It was announced a year ago with an in-engine trailer.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_l8ZYXrTT0

They also specified that instead of being a thriller game it would be their first full blown horror title.

Oct 27, 2017
The announcement of AW 2 was a miracle. Man, between Dead Space 2, RE2 Remake, and potentially some SH and AW shit coming this year? 2023 is gonna be one of the best years on record.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Glad Microsoft rejected it.
Its maybe a demo but its really close to AW1.

AW2 now looks way more fleshed out, especially with what happened during the Control AWE dlc and ofcourse all the experience Remedy got from all the games in between.

I truly believe its gonna rock my world.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Not related to the sequel prototype I loved the original idea of the first game being structured almost like Deadly Premonition with there being a focus on scavenging during the day to prepare for the horror sections at night. Something like that could actually work really well within the survival horror framework. I'm so curious to see what's their take on the genre

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Alan Wake 2 has been officially announced for a while. I think it was 2021 TGA.

It was announced a year ago at the 2021 game awards. Gonna be Remedy's first survival horror game and supposed to get out this year.

It was announced a year ago with an in-engine trailer.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_l8ZYXrTT0

They also specified that instead of being a thriller game it would be their first full blown horror title.

thanks for the responses.

is that Jake Gyllenhaal?

and what did the fanbase think about the change from thriller to horror? wasn't the first kinda Twin Peaks inspired too?

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
thanks for the responses.

is that Jake Gyllenhaal?
That's IIkka Villi, the actor Alan is physically based on who also plays as Mr. Scratch in all the live action videos. His dialogue is dubbed over. And yes he does bear a great resemblance to Gyllenhaal, when the traile dropped a lot of people thought that's who he was.

and what did the fanbase think about the change from thriller to horror?
Excitement.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Alan Wake was initially said to be a lot more ambitious.
I remember a preview describing the open world and dynamic weather, how black clouds approached rolling in from the sea (lake?) and how the player could take shelter inside the lighthouse and watch from the windows as the storm raged through the town.

Will be interesting to see if any of that makes it in the sequel but I suspect it won't be dramatically different in structure from the first game.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Glad Microsoft rejected it.
Its maybe a demo but its really close to AW1.

AW2 now looks way more fleshed out, especially with what happened during the Control AWE dlc and ofcourse all the experience Remedy got from all the games in between.

I truly believe its gonna rock my world.

I mean, this is an internal pitch. Generally they don't look like the finished product. Using assets and the engine from the first game makes sense for a pitch.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Alan Wake was initially said to be a lot more ambitious.
I remember a preview describing the open world and dynamic weather, how black clouds approached rolling in from the sea (lake?) and how the player could take shelter inside the lighthouse and watch from the windows as the storm raged through the town.

Will be interesting to see if any of that makes it in the sequel but I suspect it won't be dramatically different in structure from the first game.

Honestly, I think the game was made better by the cuts. It was like a linear story based game and an open world survival game we're fighting it out. Had the open world survival won out, likely we wouldn't be talking about it now.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Someone spoil me on what I need to know from the control dlc with regards to Alan wake.
There's quite a lot so here are the bullet points.

Base game:
  • The Federal Bureau of Control is an organisation that investigates unexplained paranormal events
  • One of these investigations includes the Bright Falls incident (events of Alan Wake)
  • The Night Vale TV show from Alan Wake was a psyop developed by the Bureau
  • Alan Wake himself was one of several individuals being considered for recruitment by the Bureau
  • Alan's typewriter is kept in lockup due to its reality-altering powers
  • Jessie's favourite writer is the poet Thomas Zane, the mysterious author from Alan Wake who disappeared from reality. Jessie seems to be one of the few individuals who remember that he existed.
  • Interestingly, there is another Thomas Zane who isn't a poet but a movie writer

DLC:
  • Dr Hartman (from Alan Wake) was actually working for the Bureau
  • The Remastered version of Alan Wake actually added a letter from the Bureau on Hartman's desk, further establishing this connection
  • After the events of Alan Wake, Hartman was kept locked up inside the Bureau as he had been transformed into a monster by the Taken (supernatural force from Alan Wake)
  • Hartman is eventually killed by Jessie
  • It is implied that the events of Control were set in motion by Alan, who is rewriting reality to try and escape from captivity in the Dark Place. So he wrote a story about a woman who would come to save him (Jessie)
  • Alan seems to have lost his mind and grip on reality due to being trapped in the Dark Place for so many years
  • Thomas Zane appears to Alan in the Dark Place, but not as a novelist. Instead, it's the movie writer version. Zane's reality seems to have been altered, somehow
  • Mr Scratch (Alan's doppelgänger) is still on the loose but Thomas Zane is "dealing with him"
  • At some point Mr Scratch visited Alan's wife
  • By the end of the DLC Alan is still trapped, but the Bureau learns about a new supernatural incident set to happen in Bright Falls in the near future

Waikipedia

Oct 26, 2017
What made AW1 so special for me was that it was initially built as an open world, but later tweaked to be more linear. This gives the world a lot more interactivity (variety of random buildings you can go to), details (lots of vehicle types) and scale than a straight linear game.

Always excited for more AW but doubt they could replicate 1.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Everything about this looks so cool and I love Alan Wake and Control. I just wish this wasn't distributed by Epic Games. Chances of this coming to Steam seem very low :(

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
The original demo is the one with intel demonstrating quad cores cpu with tons of physics and tornado irc.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Base game:
  • The Federal Bureau of Control is an organisation that investigates unexplained paranormal events
  • One of these investigations includes the Bright Falls incident (events of Alan Wake)
  • Alan Wake himself was one of several individuals being considered for recruitment by the Bureau
  • Jessie's favourite writer is the poet Thomas Zane, the mysterious author from Alan Wake who disappeared from reality. Jessie seems to be one of the few individuals who remember that he existed.
  • Interestingly, there is another Thomas Zane who isn't a poet but a movie writer

DLC:
  • The Remastered version of Alan Wake actually added a letter from the Bureau on Hartman's desk, further establishing this connection
  • After the events of Alan Wake, Hartman was kept locked up inside the Bureau as he had been transformed into a monster by the Taken (supernatural force from Alan Wake)
  • It is implied that the events of Control were set in motion by Alan, who is rewriting reality to try and escape from captivity in the Dark Place. So he wrote a story about a woman who would come to save him (Jessie)
  • Alan seems to have lost his mind and grip on reality due to being trapped in the Dark Place for so many years
  • Thomas Zane appears to Alan in the Dark Place, but not as a novelist. Instead, it's the movie writer version. Zane's reality seems to have been altered, somehow
  • Mr Scratch (Alan's doppelgänger) is still on the loose but Thomas Zane is "dealing with him"
  • By the end of the DLC Alan is still trapped, but the Bureau learns about a new supernatural incident set to happen in Bright Falls in the near future

Man, Alan Wake really fits perfectly with the SCP vibes of Control.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
That truck stuck in time is basically a scene from Quantum Break, so we know how they used some of those ideas from this AW2 video.

Still, it was some coll stuff (minus the even more on-the-face branding).

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I never saw that stuff in the OP, I only ever heard it was originally supposed to be more of an open world in the small town that the level-based game it eventually turned into.

I remember loving American Nightmare, and I just started Control and I'm really liking that too, so I have high hopes for AW2.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
I'd completely forgotten about this. Here's hoping they implement some of this stuff.

Alan Wake 2 is going to be f*cking amazing though...

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Honestly, I think the game was made better by the cuts. It was like a linear story based game and an open world survival game we're fighting it out. Had the open world survival won out, likely we wouldn't be talking about it now.

Yeah, as much as I loved that description and the idea of dynamic weather and seamless open world with interiors you could explore etc. I'm really not sure how the story they wanted to tell would fit and how they'd structure the game and make it work.

Still, the concept can work with enough planning and with the budget and ideas to make the whole town interesting to investigate. Those were early-ish days for open world too, unless you were Rockstar or Bethesda, but it will be interesting to see if Alan Wake 2 is Remedy thinking they now have the hardware and resources to fulfill that vision or if they dropped those ideas for good thinking the game wouldn't ultimately benefit from an open structure.
I'm guessing it's the latter, but I still find the original idea intriguing.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully them saying it's more survival horror now (the first game was already SH tho shrug) doesn't translate to less action. I really liked the og Alan Wake and that internal demo for Alan Wake 2 looked like a great expansion of the combat system from the first game, so it'd be a shame if the sequel happens and they dial back on the action stuff instead of improving it.

Base game:

DLC:
The audio file about Thomas Zhane was so neat. When she mentioned that, I was like "Wait, she said... But that's... Oh... OOOOOH!" and none of my friends are big Alan Wake fans so I was losing my shit without being able to really talk about it with anyone lol

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, as much as I loved that description and the idea of dynamic weather and seamless open world with interiors you could explore etc. I'm really not sure how the story they wanted to tell would fit and how they'd structure the game and make it work.

Still, the concept can work with enough planning and with the budget and ideas to make the whole town interesting to investigate. Those were early-ish days for open world too, unless you were Rockstar or Bethesda, but it will be interesting to see if Alan Wake 2 is Remedy thinking they now have the hardware and resources to fulfill that vision or if they dropped those ideas for good thinking the game wouldn't ultimately benefit from an open structure.
I'm guessing it's the latter, but I still find the original idea intriguing.

I mean there are quite a few survival games where you have to go out during the day to collect supplies, then fight stuff at night, I think that going that route would likely make it feel like it's trying to be "just another survival game" now.

Rob's Zombie

Sep 28, 2022
Manchester, UK
Yeah I'm really hoping for a release this year but Remedy ain't shy about delaying their titles and everything about this just feels like a 2024 release.

Still, I'm hopeful they'll pull it off somehow. A sequel to AW has always been on alot of videogaming wishlists for a very long time so it feels lucky we're getting another one.

Curious to see what the Northlight Engine will bring now that it isn't shackled to potatoe Jaguar CPU's anymore.