• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 25, 2020

Ever since Jim (and they are happy to still be referred to as Jim) came out as Non-Binary in late January, their channel has seen a somewhat dramatic loss in subscribers. Before they publicly came out, they were pushing the 1 million barrier. Now, over the course of the past 4 months, they have seen their numbers bleed as far back as 895k and still falling. It has become such an obvious issue for them, they made a video about the subject:

It begs the question: Will we ever see the Gamer ™ world become more Progressive? Sadly the shadow of Gamergate and alt-right/incel culture still hangs over this community like a foul smell, and nobody seems to have any answers as to how to fix it.

Mod Edit: Slight text edit for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
People in the previous thread (EA are evil) were actually suggesting that the subscriber drop had to do with their content. Not to mention drive by misgendering. Jim Stephanie really brings them out.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018

Ever since Jim (and they are happy to still be referred to as Jim) came out as Non-Binary in late January, their channel has seen a somewhat dramatic loss in subscribers. Before they made this life choice public, they were pushing the 1 million barrier. Now, over the course of the past 4 months, they have seen their numbers bleed as far back as 895k and still falling. It has become such an obvious issue for them, they made a video about the subject:

It begs the question: Will we ever see the Gamer ™ world become more Progressive? Sadly the shadow of Gamergate and alt-right/incel culture still hangs over this community like a foul smell, and nobody seems to have any answers as to how to fix it.

I'd be curious to know where all of these subscribers are located. I could see them losing a substantial amount of subscribers in the US. Mostly men who are uncomfortable with their own identities. So fucking stupid when James Stephanie is the same person they've been following all along. People suck!

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
It's really weird to think that there were people who followed Jim Sterling, who always positioned themself clearly about this topic and was never one to conform to the "conservative gamer" tropes, but then this is the nail in the coffin.

I mean, Steph has actually been hinting at this for a while now. It wasn't a huge revelation or surprise. But somehow it was okay to follow Jim without a wig, but not Steph with a wig. Even though their personality and the quality of their work are clearly exactly the same, if not better.

As for your question, from my point of view there are plenty of progressive people in all fronts of gaming. I think it's just the same problem as in other aspects of society: if you're okay with people being trans, you're just happy for them and move on with your life. It's the other people who make a huge scene out of it, and end up appearing larger than they actually are.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I'd be curious to know where all of these subscribers are located. I could see him losing a substantial amount of subscribers in the US. Mostly men who are uncomfortable with their own identities. So fucking stupid when James Stephanie is the same person they've been following all along. People suck!
People who vaguely followed for controversial reviews back in the post destructoid era

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
People in the previous thread (EA are evil) were actually suggesting that the subscriber drop had to do with their content. Not to mention drive by misgendering. Jim Stephanie really brings them out.
With such a sharp decline and the timing, I can't see how people would think it is anything other than James Stephanie fucking Sterling son coming out. Plus they have covered the same topics for years (understandably so because many of them are not listened to, and should be), and I doubt "content" caused a sudden drop by 100k.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like Jim and it reallyndoesnt matter what they wear. I usually just hear the audio anyways.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I walked away a long time before this, and while the timing is suspect, their content has become immensely stale of late, and is probably a small factor here.

How many times can we watch one person say the industry that produces our hobby is evil?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Yeah blaming it on the content makes no sense to me, the channel did the same kinda content for years now.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Been a fan of theirs since Destructoid, and I can't believe I've never clicked the subscribe button. Gonna change that right now, and I encourage others to.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It begs the question: Will we ever see the Gamer ™ world become more Progressive?
Yes. We already see it every day. Stuff like #metoo, open support of lgbtq+, openly trans media people like Stephanie or Isla were almost unthinkable, but at least absolutely and incredibly rare barely 10 years ago, leave alone 20. Hell, "Women playing video games" were basically something to gasp and be astounded about, and them being part of the media a dime a dozen.
It's going way slower than it should or needs to be, but if you keep in mind that "the gaming scene" a while ago was basically what you hear of Smash Bros every week, only nobody cared, and 99% of people reporting on it were white male guys. fuck yes it's getting more progressive.

Being "more progressive" is what all the 4chans and gafs and whatever keep being pissed about, and that's good. We're not only taking baby steps towards progressiveness, we're also throwing out the garbage while we're at it. Even if that's happening even slower.

So yeah, it sure takes way too long and people are humming and hawing all around, but your answer is yes. No doubt.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Jesus. Some people are trash. Sterling has been progressive for years, if you liked their content this whole time, what changed besides their pronouns and look? Maybe a small percentage left because they don't enjoy the content anymore, but don't kid yourself into believing like 99% isn't because of them coming out.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since Jim (and they are happy to still be referred to as Jim) came out as Non-Binary in late January, their channel has seen a somewhat dramatic loss in subscribers. Before they made this life choice public, they were pushing the 1 million barrier. Now, over the course of the past 4 months, they have seen their numbers bleed as far back as 895k and still falling. It has become such an obvious issue for them, they made a video about the subject:
They topped out at around 925~k subs, so they've lost around 30k of them in 2021. About a little over a 3% loss. It does seem pretty clear the reasoning towards it as their channel had only been trending up before then, but it's not that significant on the whole and has slowed down.

This was their first video I've watched in a while, but I'm glad to be in the section that doesn't sub or generally watch their content because it's repetitive and bad, not because of any bigoted bullshit.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I walked away a long time before this, and while the timing is suspect, their content has become immensely stale of late, and is probably a small factor here.

How many times can we watch one person say the industry that produces our hobby is evil?
I take breaks from Jimquisition sometimes for that feeling of saturation, but every time I come back, their points feel as relevant as ever, even if it's again touching on the same issues.

Jim's repetition of criticisms is simply a result of the industry's repetition of fuck ups.

Here, they made a video precisely for you:

Oct 26, 2017
I understand the thread title is meant to be punchy, and I'm confident you meant no offence. However, I don't think I'm a fan of framing JSS's coming out as trans as "putting on a wig."

I get that you're trying to show nothing really changed content-wise and the loss of subs is due to prejudice. I just think the wording is... unfortunate, I guess. But I'm not trans, so I won't speak for them. Just throwing it out there.

On-topic: yeah, the loss of subs is really kinda gross. I admit I don't always agree with their takes, and some of the skits are a little too over the top for me. But their voice is an important one, and if anything their coming out only made me want to support them more!

Oct 25, 2017
I unsubscribed years ago because it was the same content again and again all the way back to destructoid but I guess new subscribers were replacing the old ones that left until recently

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I don't watch their content or really many Youtubers for that matter but honestly I have no doubt that the massive unsubscriptions was because of Jim Stephanie coming out as non-binary. Like I still watch some Youtube but it's now pretty much entirely clickbaity top 10's and shit that have soothing narrators to help me fall asleep at night, but I'm still subbed to a ton of creators that I just simply don't watch. Now, I know not everyone is like me, but I'm pretty sure if someone was really annoyed by the consistent same content they would just stop watching or not watch every episode, rather than just unsubbing.

I really only unsub from a creator when they're really annoying or when it comes out that they do stupid shit (I hadn't been watching Scott the Woz for a good whole, but I unsubbed from that fucker after he featured a known abuser on his channel, for example)

Also it's a damn shame people are un-subbing from James Stephanie (is it Jim or James? I'm seeing both), as they make pretty good content from what I've seen, as I tend to watch their videos every few threads about them and I usually find myself very entertained. Guess I should sub to them now lol

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
While I wouldn't be surprised that being case,
this probably also has to do with people getting tired of same content over and over.

Oct 26, 2017
People who vaguely followed for controversial reviews back in the post destructoid era

I think a lot of chuds enjoy JSS's content that rips companies a new one when it comes to monetization and micro-transactions. It's one of the very small intersects between their audience and the "gamers rise up!" crowd. And when JSS presented as male (I'm sorry if this is improper wording and will gladly change it if need be) they could "ignore" Jim's liberal views -- or whine about them in the comments.

But now, JSS is loud and proud in every video, so it can't be "ignored." That's my guess, at least. Either way, it's complete shit, and honestly they're better off without those shit heels.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Going to reiterate that it's farcical to suggest it is about content but I know people love to drag James Stephanie at every opportunity.

Edit: The subscribers started going down because James started taking about their issues before officially coming out. It was not a shock to anyone that followed, it was well known.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Youtube is a cesspit of alt-right bigoted Gamers so its no surprise. The platform continues to recommend videos pandering to these people.

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
That is actually a Cancel level of Drop. even more severe
All I can say is oof, I was never a fan of their content

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't sub to them (I don't sub to a single channel on Youtube), but I tended to watch their videos on the regular.
However the algorithm stopped recommending me their videos for about a year now, so I haven't really been keeping up with them.
I wonder if this could also be the case for others, despite this directly referencing sub stats (of which I was never one).

My feed is just Vtubers and Genshin Impact now, by the way.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not the main topic, but they're bang on the point that you're applauded by saying "EA bad" but then booed if you say "because of capitalism". But if you say reasons that allude to capitalism being bad, but don't outright say it, they'll still applaud you. Investors and publishers are only in it for the money! But capitalism bad? No, that can't be it, you just want free handouts instead of pulling yourself up by the bootstraps and earning your survival and entertainment!

People have been effectively brainwashed into hostility by keywords without understanding why.

On the topic though...yeah it's obvious queerphobia. Excuses are made time and time again why someone's recently announced queerness isn't the reason for their sudden drop of support and sharp uptick in queerphobia against them when their actual content hasn't really changed, other than being more queer.

And yes, when discussing the shitty things in the games industry, it might be repetitive cause the industry does the same shitty things over and over and over again.

Oct 26, 2017
this probably also has to do with people getting tired of same content over and over.
While their coming out may have had some impact on subscribers, their gained subscriber count had been trending downward for a while since around October 2019. It went negative in October-November of 2020, and remained that way with the exception of a brief blip in December.

I love Jim, but a combination of two things caused me to stop following their channel as closely late last year: repetition of content (as others have mentioned) and a significant slowdown of new videos posted outside of the weekly Jimquisitions.

So, just to be clear. JSS has the best grasp on their own numbers. They have come out and explicitly said that their numbers and subs trended down immediately following their coming out. Yes, numbers varied over the years, but there was a clear decline at that exact moment.

Posts like these are implying that either James Stephanie is either incapable of interpreting their own numbers (despite being a video creator for over a decade), or they're just lying/exaggerating to.. what, create controversy?

Somehow, I don't think I'm the only one that side-eyes views that either state or imply that trans people are lying or exaggerating about the prejudices against them...

Last edited:

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I subscribed, I really feel most of the content is good but is just 4 minutes stretched to 20 so I never really like to see the videos but well hearing this just good to subscribe and put videos on the background.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So 10% are little crying assclowns...

That implies about 90% of their audience stand behind them. I think that's a fantastic number.

Should be more without a doubt but in todays world i would call that a big fat win.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
People really blamed the content for the cause of the drop ? Even without numbers, it was predictable as hell...

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I stopped regularly watching Sterling's videos a good while back, but this sort of thing is what keeps me subscribed.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for letting us know. I only watch the occasional video, but I decided to subscribe anyway.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
No it doesn't... you know it isn't the reason either. "They've been making the same content for years, it's totally a coincidence that it was after they came out that everyone got tired at the same time and left en masse." Come on now.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect their coming out killed their replacement rate for subscribers more than it prompted a mass exodus. Which is no less terrible and is not saying no exodus occurred.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
As someone that doesn't follow Sterling stuff very regularly and just drops in to watch a video once every few months I had just assumed this was another part of the show - I'm actually surprised it's more than that but if I hadn't read this thread I would probably continue watching the show going forward without a clue.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their stuff hardly ever appears in my sub box. I know YT is kinda sus when it comes to suppressing queer voices.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't get it - they were always super pro LGBTQ anyways, I haven't watch their videos that much but I remember them suggesting they're non-binary a while ago.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Yeah I remember when I used to watch them on Youtube and I noticed their comment sections were filled with some more rightwing opinions depending on the video. Not surprised that they have bleed so many subscribers after coming out. Hopefully they bounce back from this soon.

Last edited: