• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'm not familiar with this guy, but I can't disagree with his thoughts. via AVClub

This year, perhaps in response to the CMA's brief policy banning guns-related questions, Simpson went busking outside the awards, collecting money for the ACLU alongside a sign that said, "I don't take requests but I take questions about anything you want to talk about because fascism sucks." He broadcasted the whole thing on Facebook Live, which you can watch below, and you really should: It's a great example of his low-key charm, intelligence, and willingness to say exactly what the fuck he thinks.

You can view the Facebook Live video here.

Some choice quotes, as pulled by AVClub.

Nobody needs a machine gun, and that's coming from a guy who owns quite a few guns. Gay people should have the right to be happy and live their life any way they want to and get married if they want to without fear of getting drug down the road behind a pickup truck. Black people are probably tired of getting shot in the streets and being enslaved by the industrial prison complex. Hegemony and fascism is alive and well in Nashville, Tennessee. Thank you very much.

And on Trump and his supporters:

He's a fascist fucking pig and I'm not afraid to say that. Anybody who's still supporting that guy can't be anything in my mind but an ignorant fucking bigot. So there it is. Anybody that's surprised to hear me say that is going to unfollow me or stop listening to my record was probably not listening that close anyway.

I don't have much of a clue on how the country music industry's adapted to the rise of Trumpism, so maybe it's a generalization to assume that much of the audience would object to what this guy is saying. Those of you in the know, what will the response to this guy be? In the AVClub article, they note that he had an album nominated for multiple Grammys (of which it won one), but he didn't get a single CMA nomination after his comments on their use of Merle Haggard's name.

Thoughts?

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I've only heard of this guy in passing but I'm a fan now. Holy hell he's really ripping Trump fans here. Love it.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
Sturgill Simpson is an awesome artist and a complete badass. Good on him for speaking his mind to a crowd that's probably far from a liberal safe space.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
He's great. Saw part of this live. It's pretty funny how one of the best country artists is completely ignored by Nashville.

Love this cover:

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Seen this guy live and seen many of his interviews. Love the guy.
His lyrics are something else.
Take the 3 minutes and listen to this "Country" song and tell me how country it is.

https://youtu.be/6gBV-Nzq7Pg

"Tell me how you make illegal something that we all make in our brain" He likes the psychedelics.
"Every time I take a look inside that old fable book I'm blinded and reminded of the pain caused from some old man in the sky" Don't think he's a fan of the Bible.
Anyways I'm not just here to push his music but I'm not surprised to see him do what you are talking about.

Oct 30, 2017
If you think you don't like "country" music, just go and listen to the first track on A Sailor's Guide To Earth, dude is pushing the boundaries of what country can be.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Sturgill's the dude. great tunes and the stones to speak his mind even if—or especially when—it pisses off the largely talentless and history-ignorant country majority.

also don't piss him off, he's a paid cia assassin.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
So others know about this guy? Great to hear. Saw him in Boston when he was sick as a dog but still put on an incredible show. Sorry going OT.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Country music bad ass and American assassin. I love Sturgill so much. Dude just seems like an all around nice person

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sturgill won the Grammy for best country album and played live with the Dap Kings. It's not like he should be some hidden secret or anything. He played on Saturday Night Live for christssake.

eZn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Country music has been hijacked by the pretty boy pop singers. Garth Brooks won entertainer of the year last night. Then he lip synced his newest song.

Chris Stapleton and Jamey Johnson seem to be the only two non Kenny Chesney types that are still played on mainstream country radio. Guys like Strurgill have been pushed out completely.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Jason Isbell was nominated this year so it's not like CMT are completely unaware of that type of music. I think it's more that they go with what sells, and mainstream country fans want country music with pop crossover appeal. Stuff like Florida Georgia Line is the shit that people love. I don't even hate that stuff because some of that shit bops. I think a lot of people would like this stuff if it got a chance, but I also think some people think way too much of mainstream America. Most of my female coworkers listen to country pop music and don't really even think about listening to anything that isn't on the radio. They just don't really care.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
He's the same dude who ripped into the CMA's last year for using Haggard's name even though Nashville spent the last years of his life shitting on him. He won respect from me then and won even more now

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Jason Isbell was nominated this year so it's not like CMT are completely unaware of that type of music. I think it's more that they go with what sells, and mainstream country fans want country music with pop crossover appeal. Stuff like Florida Georgia Line is the shit that people love. I don't even hate that stuff because some of that shit bops. I think a lot of people would like this stuff if it got a chance, but I also think some people think way too much of mainstream America. Most of my female coworkers listen to country pop music and don't really even think about listening to anything that isn't on the radio. They just don't really care.

My coworker is the same way. I keep trying to turn him on to off the beaten path stuff, but he just wants his pop stuff and a Coors. ::sigh::

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sturgill's the dude. great tunes and the stones to speak his mind even if—or especially when—it pisses off the largely talentless and history-ignorant country majority.

also don't piss him off, he's a paid cia assassin.

crazy: all this shit lines up
joe: does it really?
crazy: i dont know

Maiden Voyage

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
crazy: all this shit lines up
joe: does it really?
crazy: i dont know

That crazy is Wheeler Walker Jr
wwj3.jpg

His music is very NSFW but prettttttty good.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody needs a machine gun, and that's coming from a guy who owns quite a few guns. Gay people should have the right to be happy and live their life any way they want to and get married if they want to without fear of getting drug down the road behind a pickup truck. Black people are probably tired of getting shot in the streets and being enslaved by the industrial prison complex. Hegemony and fascism is alive and well in Nashville, Tennessee. Thank you very much.
snoop.gif

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of this guy and not a huge country fan to begin with but I'll check out some of his albums because the dude is not afraid to speak his mind and I agree with a lot of what he says.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
this is going to go over like a lead balloon with the country crowd, but good for him i'm glad some people have the balls to stand up for whats right.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Good on him. I wasn't familiar with him before, but I jumped over to youtube and saw this SNL performance

I mean, holy shit! They tore the place down.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love this guy. And this is one of the best covers I've ever heard:

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, there's no way when he says that he means that's all the music he'll make ever—just that he's gonna do two solo records then some side stuff, then he doesn't know. I doubt he's putting an end date on his career.