• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
So this happened to me today and I felt like sharing

PART 1:

I drove to a nearby shopping center and parked my car in the parking lot. Very popular shopping center, tons of shops. A little behind it is the library. Library opens at 10:30, I pulled up around 9, I figured Id just wait in the car and bide some time.

A vehicle pulls up on my right hand side. Its blond haired lady and her child. You know how you make brief eye contact when people pull next to you in spots? Simple eye contact exchange, nothing out of the ordinary. She takes her child towards a Day Care Center, I continue browsing on my phone in my vehicle. A couple minutes passed and the lady leaves the Day Care Center, Im just scanning around in intervals... back on my phone. After another few minutes, I notice the lady is hanging in front of the Day Care, she is making a phone call. Again, nothing wrong with this picture. Totally normal.

Couple more minutes pass, and it seems the lady's car died... She's waiting by the car. Eventually a guy with a white truck pulls up. Obviously, she called for a jump. Back into my phone..... When I look up again, I notice there is now a Latina woman talking to the Blond Lady and Guy (he's jumping the car) near the front right of my vehicle... Okay, totally normal lol. The blond lady gets her car started and she pulls off.... Back into my phone.....

I look back up.... The Latina woman is talking to a SUV Police Cruiser, a little to the left of the Day Care entryway in front of me. Shes talking to the officer for a decent amount of time. Maybe 5-10 mins? Okayy.... Police usually cruise my area, nothing major... It is kinda early? lol. Then the Officer slightly pops his head out the vehicle and looks over at me.... Haha its definitely me. He continues talking with the Latina lady and then makes a left to enter the parking lot Im in....

I notice the Latina lady walks over across the lot behind my vehicle... I take a look and.... yup, there is another officer in an undercover Ford. She's talking with him for a decent minute as well. So yeah.... this is definitely about me. So at this point, I just wait patiently, keep looking at my phone and just anticipate them to come talk to me

I sit in my seat, and yup I see the officer walking up to my side

Officer knocks on window

Me: Hey, hows it going!

Off: Hey man, how ya doing?! We just got a call saying someone thought you were passed out in your vehicle, we just wanted to make sure you were okay and check on you.

Me: Oh yeah? yeah, Im doing fine, just parked over here waiting for the library to open up.

Off: Gotcha, yeah man, sounds good, we just wanted to check in, makes sure everything's good!

Me: Thanks! No problem! You have a good day!

Off: You too man, have a great day!

Officer starts to walk away, then his partner runs up past him over to my window

Off2: Hey! The call described you as a 40 year old and you DO NOT look 40 man!

Me: Man! I hope not!!

We all laugh, Officers leave... They were very pleasant and jovial. A total non-issue. I laugh about it, and go back to my phone.

PART 2:

Im still in my car. Same spot. Prob 20-25 mins later, Another car pulls up on the right hand side. It's the Latina lady from earlier. She signals for me to come towards her, So I get out my car to talk to her. For the sake of this story, I will call her Maria.

I walk up to Maria's car and I notice that she looks a lil distraught. She introduces herself to me, shes the owner of the Day Care Im parked nearby. She starts apologizing to me about what happened earlier because she said it has eaten her up all morning. I tell Maria to not worry about and not to take it so hard but she adamantly tell me that she refuses my advice.

Maria: "What happened this morning is going to bother me so much, Digital. I feel really ashamed that I had to be involved in it. It simply shouldn't have happened. I wanted to sincerely apologize to you"

Me: "No need to beat yourself up Maria, you have to abide by your client's concerns. It's literally your responsibility to adhere to that, so the blame doesn't fall on you. Don't hold on to it"

At this point, Maria starts crying. She's really hurt by all of this. To be 100% honest, I didnt feel anger about the situation. I wasn't bothered. I wasn't annoyed. Maybe because it went so smoothly, and I was more relieved at how it resolved itself? I let it wash over me in a way even as I type this, I don't feel any way about it.

Maria and I begin to talk about what happened so we can process it all. She tells me that the Blond Lady came into the Day Care was completely incensed about me being in my car in the parking lot. She said a "40 year old black man is in the lot, he looks like he's hitting himself and looks completely high on drugs". The Blond Lady was adamant that the police should be called. The daycare called the police, and this is when I saw Maria outside with the lady while her car was getting jumped.

Maria was telling the lady "Are you really sure about this report? Thats clearly a kid/young man in the car, he's not doing anything, he's just on his phone"

The lady said "Im absolutely sure, he's clearly high off drugs. Somethings not right"

This was when the lady left. When the police showed up, Maria said she was begging the officers not to approach me. She told them that the report was very obviously played up and that she saw me in the car and I wasn't doing anything wrong. She said that she felt she had to say something and interfere because if something went bad, she couldn't live with it. I told her that the police were very jovial and happy when they approached me and she informed me that they definitely weren't that way when they first pulled up. lol, matter of fact, she said they were "ready to go"

Maria is still crying while she's telling me all this. She's still trying to rationalize the Blond Lady's thinking.

"I just can't believe she would do something like that. You did nothing wrong! You could have been hurt for no reason! I just don't understand why she would do something like this. I can understand someone posing a threat to our center, but we have security! You are just sitting in the parking lot... when I came out, I saw you just looking at your phone, you were in Instagram world (lol) or whatever, you didnt even notice what was going on. This isn't right, none of this is right. Does this woman even know what she did was wrong? Im angry for you... I feel ashamed for you... Im just so scared because I have a 19 year old son, and he has autism and sometimes he has trouble communicating and I can't imagine how he would cope in a situation like this."

I straight up told Maria that Im used to it. Its 100% not right for sure.... But it is what it is. This wasn't my first rodeo, Ive had cops called on me before for no reason. Its just a reality of the country we live in and a sign of the times basically.

She said "this country has always been like this"

I explained to her that people come with judgments and preconceived notions. Everything is about pushing fear nowadays. The blond lady didn't know me. She doesn't know Im waiting for the library, She doesn't know I have law enforcement family, just that something about me bothered her, and she followed her instinct. Maria told me again that "it doesnt make her right".

Maria is clearly torn up about it. I told her again not to internalize it, and to don't let it ruin her day or take over her thoughts. Again she told me "Im going to do the opposite Digital, Im going to find a way to share this because I never thought Id see it up close... you hear about it... but to see it? Its already stuck in my mind. When the lady comes to get her kid, Im going to tell her about this."

Maria is a good person. Like I said, I honestly felt no way about it all.... but to see her reaction... that shit moved me man... I felt bad seeing her feel so bad about it all. Its really something to think about. And this was a 100% benign situation. No violence. No yelling....

I figured Id share my story today. Im going to get Maria something to say thank you. Flowers, chocolates, something, drop em off by the daycare later... She was way more involved then she needed to be trying to defend me. Im really grateful for that.

PS: No I wasn't high on drugs.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
and no consequences to that false report lady for the waste of police time, the false information given, and the fact that they might have ended your life this morning.

thank god for good people who actually care about the lives of others.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
That's quite the situation. Sorry it happened to you. At least the cops sounded chill.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry you and Maria had to go through that. Hopefully this will be a learning moment for the blond lady.

Dec 24, 2017
That blond lady isn't going to learn or retain shit from this.

She's shaking her fist and berating the police, like Skeletor.

"You boobs! I'll get you one day black man! One day!!"

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn I'm glad things turned out alright. I wish I could see the blonde lady's dumb face when Maria tells her off.

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
and no consequences to that false report lady for the waste of police time, the false information given, and the fact that they might have ended your life this morning.

thank god for good people who actually care about the lives of others.

Yeah, she was already gone by the time the cops came. Its gonna be on Maria to decide if she's gonna confront the lady about it later today.

That's quite the situation. Sorry it happened to you. At least the cops sounded chill.

Yeah, the cops were 100% chill. Maria was explaining that she was like begging them to leave me alone but its literally their job to at least check out a call when they get it. When I told her about how polite and nice they were, she was like "they Definitely weren't like that when they pulled up" and they were essentially in battle mode.

I mean the call was 40 Yr Old Black Man, possibly on drugs hitting himself... I don't blame the cops being in battle mode for that honestly.

Maria def made a difference here though. The cops def would have pulled me out the car and searched it at the very least if she didnt step in to defuse them beforehand.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Man, that's so ridiculous and terrible. I'm sorry you went through that. I'm relieved to hear that all things considered everything turned out okay. It's nice in a situation like this that there were more good actors than bad ones because obviously that's not how it always goes.

Some bull shit, though.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
lol, matter of fact, she said they were "ready to go"
For fuck's sake... so damn trigger happy. I get that they probably took the blond lady's word at face value, but man I'm glad Maria calmed them down.
And I mean even if the blond lady's report had been right, suppose some dude is in his car being stoned... it's still not like he'd be a threat. It'd just some stoned guy in his car doing nothing. They even said the report mentioned being passed out. A passed out, stoned guy in his car isn't a reason to get "ready to go" and act with authoritarian hostility.

Sorry this happened to you, man. At least it had a peaceful ending!

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If we had more people like Maria in this world things would be much better.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was walking around my job's building yesterday during lunch cause it was nice out and I rarely see the sun this time of year. Security walked up to me and asked me if I worked there. I told them I did and showed them my badge. They relaxed a bit and explained someone reported a suspicious individual hanging around.

I imagine the most suspicious thing about me was me being tall and black with dreadlocks. It put a cloud over me the rest of the long day.

These things always suck.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look at it this way DigitalOp it could have gone another way. Maria doesn't know you. You could have gotten pissed and blown up her spot on Twitter and for something she had no control over had you been harassed.
These businesses can be caught up in the fallout to white fragility too.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Maria watches that woman's kid.

She knows her name.

The woman needs to be turned in for a false police report. Whoever the "law enforcement" in your family is, needs to address this.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope Maria makes sure to let the blond lady know about her mistake very clearly and very much in front of her kids, it's gonna be an important lesson for them.

I would love to enter the mind of some white people to hear their thoughts about how afraid they are whenever they see a person of color be it black or brown. Like damn, I wonder if I make someone this nervous throughout the day. It's just so baffling to me that they can be bothered solely by the presence of someone who doesn't look like them. And then to assume your high, it's just fucking awful.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad everything got resolved peacefully for you. The whole "ready to go" thing is freaky.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
that's not how the system works.

It isn't, but it's never going to change if no-one tries. These two officers can back it up too, they made no arrest and found no problem. There should be a 911 call/recording too. I'm sure the financial ability to sue them isn't there, and it may be more trouble than one wants, but there should be "evidence". Granted, it would probably disappear.

If there's family with connections, I say use them instead of letting it go. Letting stuff like this go pisses me off (not at the OP, or those that let it go like the "Latina" woman). The woman shouldn't get away with it.

She's going to hurt someone else. I'd at least hope the Day Care Center kicks her and her kid out. Re: Endangering the life of a kid trying to go to the library.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Again she told me "Im going to do the opposite Digital, Im going to find a way to share this
figured Id share my story today.
"Maria, this is what you wanted, right? This is my promise I made to you..."

Most people I know would've just awkwardly avoided you after that. Definitely wasn't expecting her to be that broken up about it.
That blond lady isn't going to learn or retain shit from this.

She's shaking her fist and berating the police, like Skeletor.

"You boobs! I'll get you one day black man! One day!!"
Probably. Wonder how Maria will bring it up to her

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Maria: "What happened this morning is going to bother me so much, Digital.
I was all serious reading this story up until this part, which made me chuckle. Ok, back to reading the rest of the story.

Edit: Ok, finished the story. She's right that hearing about it or seeing it in the news is one thing, but being part of it and see this shit happen up close, that must be infuriating, especially when she had to abide by the stupid lady's remarks. Care center Cynthia.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Man, that's so ridiculous and terrible. I'm sorry you went through that. I'm relieved to hear that all things considered everything turned out okay. It's nice in a situation like this that there were more good actors than bad ones because obviously that's not how it always goes.

Some bull shit, though.
For fuck's sake... so damn trigger happy. I get that they probably took the blond lady's word at face value, but man I'm glad Maria calmed them down.
And I mean even if the blond lady's report had been right, suppose some dude is in his car being stoned... it's still not like he'd be a threat. It'd just some stoned guy in his car doing nothing. They even said the report mentioned being passed out. A passed out, stoned guy in his car isn't a reason to get "ready to go" and act with authoritarian hostility.

Sorry this happened to you, man. At least it had a peaceful ending!
If we had more people like Maria in this world things would be much better.

Thats what makes this so easy honestly. Like what Maria did today makes this entire situation so positive for me in a weird way. A little empathy goes such a long way.

I was walking around my job's building yesterday during lunch cause it was nice out and I rarely see the sun this time of year. Security walked up to me and asked me if I worked there. I told them I did and showed them my badge. They relaxed a bit and explained someone reported a suspicious individual hanging around.

I imagine the most suspicious thing about me was me being tall and black with dreadlocks. It put a cloud over me the rest of the long day.

These things always suck.

Bruh, It always sucks. I hate that shit happened to you man.

Like I said, not my first rodeo. Its happened before. But this time, it felt really good to know someone was in your corner defending you.

Look at it this way DigitalOp it could have gone another way. Maria doesn't know you. You could have gotten pissed and blown up her spot on Twitter and for something she had no control over had you been harassed.
These businesses can be caught up in the fallout to white fragility too.

I don't have anywhere close to followers to even try to make it a thing. Maria was broken over this, she was 100% genuine. But yeah, look at the Starbucks incident. These things effect everyone, they really do

Maria seems like an awesome person, definitely get her some gifts next time you're there.

Definitely a nice card, but I don't know what else! Not everyone likes Chocolate! Just a "I appreciate you" gift.

Maria watches that woman's kid.

She knows her name.

The woman needs to be turned in for a false police report. Whoever the "law enforcement" in your family is, needs to address this.

Man.... Maria said the same shit. She wanted to talk to my peoples about it but I just can't see myself escalating this. Its done, its over. Nobody's hurt. Maria def said she gonna see that lady on the one lol, so we'll see. Im intrigued how she wants to proceed because the lady is still a client... and even if she doesnt care to lose the business, a Blond Lady scorned with social media is a deadly weapon.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Good on Maria for recognising what it was and opening up about it. It's a shame that the blonde lady will probably continue to do this without any sort of guilt or second thought.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
High on drugs....this fucking *sigh*....I'm sorry to hear that brother. I don't think I've had the police called on me for being black yet but I've definitely been thought of as a person who did drugs for no reason. You're handling it like I would and I feel like being black in America you develop this calm of mental and physical self preservation.

You didn't deserve that and I'm glad Maria said something because you already know that could have gone a lot worse, scared white woman tears and all. Stay strong.

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I do blame them. That's not how law enforcement should come into a situation like that.

For sure, I agree. Im in the police mindset and they hear "high on drugs, older male", their first thought is potential resistance. So theyre expecting a grown man and have to be ready to physically detain someone if they aren't complying or responsive. My big issue is if theres no Maria, and they come up to me and see Im a 20 something year old.... do they descalate? can they turn off the battle preparation? Or do they proceed in the same manner?

I would sincerely hope lethal violence isnt considered preemptively but you never know.

It's crazy to think how this could've turned out had Maria not been there. Damn.

Thats always the great What If?

I appreciate that and everyone else who checked in.

Remove colour and gender, a 40 yr old person, possibly on drugs, hitting themselves, is quite an urgent call at 10am infront of a daycare.

fun fact, the daycare did call from the non emergent line but yes that is quite a call at 10AM. Id still be coming in bracing for impact.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thumbs up to Maria. Sorry you went through that. Glad the cops handled everything politely. Fuck that woman who reported you.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Fuckin' A.

Maria basically saved your life. Had she not called the police then that white lady would've done it herself and then Maria wouldn't be there to talk them out of "Battle Mode." Then your ass would be dead.

God damn.

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Fuckin' A.

Maria basically saved your life. Had she not called the police then that white lady would've done it herself and then Maria wouldn't be there to talk them out of "Battle Mode." Then your ass would be dead.

God damn.

Id like to think they wouldnt kill me straight up in a busy ass plaza. Id like to think....

Like I said, in my "what if scenario", I see them asking me to step out the car, detain me in cuffs while they tear up my car. Find nothing, then tell me to go somewhere.

I hope thats what would have happened...

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just curious, what chain of events led to you going to the library an hour and a half before it opened? You got a roommate who throws morning orgies?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Id like to think they wouldnt kill me straight up in a busy ass plaza. Id like to think....

Like I said, in my "what if scenario", I see them asking me to step out the car, detain me in cuffs while they tear up my car. Find nothing, then tell me to go somewhere.

I hope thats what would have happened...
they shot up a guy who was actually asleep in his car at a taco bell drive through.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Remove colour and gender, a 40 yr old person, possibly on drugs, hitting themselves, is quite an urgent call at 10am infront of a daycare.
Urgent yes, but a battle? Only in America would cops hear that a lone man possibly strung out on drugs is hurting himself and think, "Yeah this guy is probably going to try and kill us all and blow up the daycare. We should come in hot."
For sure, I agree. Im in the police mindset and they hear "high on drugs, older male", their first thought is potential resistance. So theyre expecting a grown man and have to be ready to physically detain someone if they aren't complying or responsive. My big issue is if theres no Maria, and they come up to me and see Im a 20 something year old.... do they descalate? can they turn off the battle preparation? Or do they proceed in the same manner?

I would sincerely hope lethal violence isnt considered preemptively but you never know.
No Maria and it would have a "step out of your car so we can search it without cause" at the minimum.

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Just curious, what chain of events led to you going to the library an hour and a half before it opened? You got a roommate who throws morning orgies?
To be honest, no real reason. Just to be out and about? I got some breakfast and pulled over to the plaza and just figured I'd wait.

they shot up a guy who was actually asleep in his car at a taco bell drive through.
Fuck, you right.

I would have been shook if they rolled on me with the straps. My phone is in my hands, its even white faced, but idek... that def would have fucked me up.

Urgent yes, but a battle? Only in America would cops hear that a lone man possibly strung out on drugs is hurting himself and think, "Yeah this guy is probably going to try and kill us all and blow up the daycare. We should come in hot."

No Maria and it would have a "step out of your car so we can search it without cause" at the minimum.

At the very very minimum, I was gonna have to step out the car.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Hey Digital, great job keeping your composure. I'm glad that Maria was around to offer the inside track on how this stuff goes down, too. You're blessed, sir.

Yeah, that story isn't exactly how it happened. I thought so too. I went back to read the actual article in that ERA thread (I rarely ever jump the gun and post w/o reading the article, but this time i did), and there was definitely cause for concern in that specific situation. Overkill? Absolutely. That dude shouldn't be dead. But concern? Yeah, it wasn't that he was just sleeping minding his own when the police just showed up and aired him out.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV

Hey Digital, great job keeping your composure. I'm glad that Maria was around to offer the inside track on how this stuff goes down, too. You're blessed, sir.

Yeah, that story isn't exactly how it happened. I thought so too. I went back to read the actual article in that ERA thread (I rarely ever jump the gun and post w/o reading the article, but this time i did), and there was definitely cause for concern in that specific situation. Overkill? Absolutely. That dude shouldn't be dead. But concern? Yeah, it wasn't that he was just sleeping minding his own when the police just showed up and aired him out.

Also, I know that you didn't mean anything by this question, but when people ask this it rubs me the wrong way. People always want to know the reason regular behavior is abnormal from PoC. Again, let me stress: I know 100% that you had no ill intent behind your question. Typically, though? It's just hard for most people to believe that the man went out early for WHATEVER reason, enjoying life, and ran into that bullshit.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
She was freaking out because she knew there was a good chance the cops would've fucking killed you.
I'm glad you're okay, just as I'm glad that people like Maria exist.

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
Not only did you get the cops called on you, you're accused of being high and hitting yourself? The fuck?

Did the lady make that shit up so that the cops would get incensed with a feeling of urgency? She didnt even just "report a man in a car" she falsely reported someone as dangerous or unhinged.