1. D i Z

D i Z

They didn't even make the "it's a gang" quota. Only two of them? Shit, even one black dude sitting there with his phone would have set this off. Some motherfuckers can't wait to stitch us up simply for being around them.

2. BlackGoku03

BlackGoku03

For everyone who needs to know more background or doesn’t see the discrimination, why would Mayor Kenney say this below? Do you think there’s enough info now?

Hello?

Simple fact: racism isn’t always in your face or direct.

It’s bullshit. These defenders can read between the lines of multiple games and movies and comics but real life always throws them for a loop.

3. jjreamPop

jjreamPop

I'm waiting for the first Black person to press attempted murder charges against someone who called the police on them for no reason.

Sorry, but shit's crazy.

4. Forearm_Star

Forearm_Star

Yeah man the police commissioners video on their facebook page. Put there stating the officers did nothing wrong
    Cool man
    Cool

5. Border

Border

There is aJanuary 2018 Yelp review of this 18th & Spruce Starbucks location where the reviewer complains that the employees refused to give him a code for the bathroom until he ordered and paid. So apparently they've been kinda assholes about the bathroom for at least the last 6 months.

I've used this Starbucks for many years!!! Today, I stopped in to used the bathroom (#1) and then order my food. The response, "you have to place your order and pay before you can get the code". Really, is Starbucks now so driven by profit that they can dictate what order I potty? I have loved Starbucks for many years... NOT TODAY!!! And no more of my $.

6. Sir Guts

Sir Guts
    Banned Member

America is sick. Ffs thats absurd!!!

7. D i Z

D i Z

• User Warned: Inflammatory language. Attacking other users.
    Shout out to the cooning ass nigga's in this and all other discussions about oppression tho.

8. Opto

Opto

Evidence: It was racism by an employee and the cops.

People: but...was it racism?"

9. MIMIC

MIMIC

I knew there was a reason I didn't go to Starbucks.

10. Bob Beat

Bob Beat

It's even worse than you think. It's all luck that you've haven't experienced the worse.

My mom got a great job and we bounced out of South West Philly. Right in time, before high school. Old friends got caught up in mess.

But i have a good job and live in city of Decatur, outside of Atlanta, more progressive. So people aren't tripping too much. But a little here or there, and any of us could be in these videos. Like, that dude on the video is lucky. Could have been different cops with rage problems.

11. Messofanego

Messofanego

Dude handled it really well. These cops got a quota or something? Wasting others' time intimidating and trying to get something out of them so they got a reason to arrest, but dude didn't budge.

12. I'm tired of this shit.

13. Tbm24

Tbm24

I've had a similar thing happen to me. Catching lunch in my car, parked near my job at the time near some nice scenery. Mid bite get a tap on my window, one of the residents peeking through their window called the cops. They ultimately didn't do anything as my record is clean and I'm fucking eating, but it soured the nice time I was having. Finished my meal however.

14. Forearms

Forearms

• User Warned : Derogatory slur.
    He has some huge fucking balls, too...

Officer Fruitcake: "Got any guns in there?"
    Dude Eating Oatmeal: "Dozens."

15. Deleted member 15326

Deleted member 15326
    User requested account closure Member

Did they fire Rebecca yet or nah

16. dyst

dyst

I’ve seen people go into Starbucks just to use wifi and not even order. They will sit there for hours.

17. Messofanego

Messofanego

Oh they are massive. I'd fold after a few minutes.

18. rude

rude

Remember that people are just pretending to believe there must’ve been some other reason for their arrest. They like acting willfully ignorant to make the oppressed angry. They know exactly what’s up.

19. Akira86

Akira86

waiting for the #boycottStarbucks hashtag before they start firing hard working white people.

20. Mammoth Jones

Mammoth Jones

This. The fuck. Like no one ever saw someone in there with their laptop out and no cup of coffee. Like no one meets a date at starbucks and waits a while. People go just to read books and shit.

21. Enzom21

Enzom21

Being able to spout any racist shit you want is meaningless if there is none there to hear it.
    That place is dead.
    We all are.
    All the white folks in here spewing this shit:
    "Let's wait for the first half of the video"
    "My wife's anecdotal experience at Starbucks trumps any racism you blacks have experienced."
    "This would have happened to white people too."
    tells me none of this will change.

22. Adam Sadler

Adam Sadler

Nah trust me. I’ve recently moved into a different area of my city that’s mostly white and within the first 5 months of living here I was pulled over for suspiciously driving 3 times.

23. Mortemis

Mortemis

There definitely is some cognitive dissonance. They know racism is bad but don't put any effort into seeing racism. They probably identify with the content, or think "hey I'd do this too" and that clashes with their own thoughts of themselves as not racists. Instead of thinking "hey this isn't ok", they'll go to great lengths to defend it so they don't have to put too much thought into it.

24. ham bone

ham bone
    Alt account Member

It looks like defiance to me. Once the cops show up I would be out of there

If it was a high traffic area or they were deluged with homeless people washing in the sink I could get that but from the video it looks slow.

25. Deleted member 15326

Deleted member 15326

Expect others to give in to discrimination brehs

26. Radd Redd

Radd Redd

I can't count how many times I've sat in Starbucks and Panera for hours without ordering anything. Never had cops called on me. This is messed up.

27. dyst

dyst

It’s understandable if the bathroom is only for paying customer, still not sure why cops had to be called.

If this was a white lady, sure they might refuse her bathroom keys, but I doubt the cops would be called.

Guess we will never know.

28. Akira86

Akira86

I guess we will never know what?

29. BossAttack

BossAttack

This dude is my fucking hero.

30. dyst

dyst

Guess we will never know if the cops would be called on a white person /sarcasim

31. Messofanego

Messofanego

See, you don't get it. What would firing Rebecca do to make her not racist? Do you deserve to lose your job and a living just because of one racist action you do? At most, she deserves time off and go to racial sensitivity classes. We can't fight racism by giving punishing consequences to racism. Maybe she was just being ignorant and didn't know she was being a racist. We need to educate them and treat them with kid gloves, that way they're more amenable to our advice rather than shouting at them and kicking them out. They'll become even bigger racists now. This is why Trump will win in 2020.

:P

32. Namorange

Namorange

Just for my common knowledge, but are places that serve food required to have accessible bathrooms?

33. Border

Border

I don't think so, but obviously the answer will vary from state to state and county to county.

34. Jzeero

Jzeero

I love how people always bring up the "oh there was a black cop this can't be discrimination"

35. FiraBud

FiraBud

The higher up's in starbucks will be scrambling to get a settlement in place.

No way those guys can't take them for that.

36. Lol, like black people feel better when we see black cops.

37. Boke18

Boke18

SO I mean of course we know there was no godly reason for these men to end up in cuffs. But why were the police called in the first place?

38. ham bone

ham bone
    Alt account Member

Yes, but in cities or places with lots of traffic or homeless Starbuck's will have either a token or a 4 digit code to unlock the bathroom. With that they can enforce a "bathroom for customers only," policy. Seeing as this place didn't have a lock you gotta wonder why employees were so upset.

39. phantomx

phantomx
    Banned Member

Yea well, if a white person was sitting on a bench in Starbucks waiting for someone...they would most likely not just get up and walk out once/if the cops show up

Wouldn’t even have gotten to that point, I’m sure

40. BronsonLee

BronsonLee
    Don't worry I'm on the case Moderator

Center City Starbucks do sometimes have that 'rule', but I've never actually seen it applied to anybody at all

They're bout to take Starbucks for a bunch

41. KSweeley

KSweeley
    Community Resettler Member

Starbucks corporate stated that the two men being arrested is an "unfortunate result":

42. Enzom21

Enzom21

They released an empty statement:

43. KSweeley

KSweeley
    Community Resettler Member

WaPo interviewed the lawyer representing the two men: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...en-waiting-at-a-table/?utm_term=.032b3b8a7ce6

44. FTF

FTF

They should sue (the) Starbucks and the manager should lose her job. smh this shit is pathetic.

45. Driggonny

Driggonny

Come on man, she shouldn't lose her job just for being racist smh

/s

46. hordak

hordak

"Lauren said another woman had entered the Starbucks minutes before the men were arrested and was given the bathroom code without having to buy anything and that another person in the restaurant at the time of the incident "announced that she had been sitting at Starbucks for the past couple of hours without buying anything."

Jesus Christ . I'm sure the color of their skin had nothing to do with this . I mean if they were being loud or rude or anything but being black, you could maybe argue the presence of the police .

47. BadAss2961

BadAss2961

Hurry up and buy!

48. lenovox1

lenovox1

I'm sure all Starbucks have that rule where legally acceptable.

It wasn't intended to indiscriminately kick out "scary black men."

49. Weston

Weston

I bet the manager gets fired. She doesn't really have any sort of excuse. That statement Starbucks made isn't going to placate anybody. Cops will get off scot free though.

50. Deleted member 15326

Deleted member 15326

If it was the manager who called I doubt by they’ll fire her, probably just a verbal reprimand. Although with the videos and eyewitness accounts they may feel pressure to actually do something