• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I bet the manager gets fired. She doesn't really have any sort of excuse. That statement Starbucks made isn't going to placate anybody. Cops will get off scot free though.

Likely. Their statement isn't hollow. They are making sure they have their ducks in a row to avoid a wrongful termination.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
This is why a lot of the times I just sit in my car instead of waiting inside for a friend
I'm sure you can find stories of people getting cops called on them because they were just sitting 'suspiciously' in a car or or sitting outside a business or walking in a neighborhood or...you get the point.

On July 7, former high school English teacher Louizandre Dauphin was fed up with the news cycle and decided to drive to a quiet place to do some reading.

Sound suspicious? Residents that saw him in his car thought so and, naturally, they called the police, who stopped the black New Brunswick, Canada, resident as he drove back home.

In his subsequent Instagram post about the incident, Dauphin said the officer told him that locals had reported a suspicious black man sitting in a parked car.
https://mic.com/articles/148519/thi...tting-in-his-car-reading-c-s-lewis#.bppBik4dW

It happens.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It's understandable if the bathroom is only for paying customer, still not sure why cops had to be called.

If this was a white lady, sure they might refuse her bathroom keys, but I doubt the cops would be called.

Guess we will never know.
the answer to your thought is already in this thread

"Lauren said another woman had entered the Starbucks minutes before the men were arrested and was given the bathroom code without having to buy anything and that another person in the restaurant at the time of the incident "announced that she had been sitting at Starbucks for the past couple of hours without buying anything."

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Pretty much. They can eat a bag of shit with that bullshit. 2018 and you need to "learn from this"??

Can put a man on the fucking moon but can't figure out how to not be racist?

The funny part to me is that Starbucks is right near Rittenhouse Square, AKA the super rich district in downtown with lots of foot traffic and such, like think fancy tea spots and parks

like people loiter all the goddamn time, from college students to flops like me who are just reading their Kindle

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Lauren said another woman had entered the Starbucks minutes before the men were arrested and was given the bathroom code without having to buy anything and that another person in the restaurant at the time of the incident "announced that she had been sitting at Starbucks for the past couple of hours without buying anything."

Rofl, enjoy explaining that on your job interviews, ex-manager.

'please, please don't sue us'

Man now I gotta walk by this Starbucks every day to work

Though it still doesn't top walking every day by the Little Caesars near Broad and Girard where a cashier threw a cash register at a robber

I'll never understand defending a giant ass corporation's pocket change with your life.

BurntFoot

Banned
Apr 10, 2018
We live in a society that believes black males (such as myself) are inherently dangerous and warrant suspicion. No law or policy will change that.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't like that Starbucks is taking the brunt of the criticism here.
If the cops weren't pieces of shit, they would have never arrested them, held them for 9hrs, and we're only released because the DA declined to arraign them.
As usual, cops were the biggest pieces of shit here.

Also, man all of you "it wasn't racially motived" folks sure disappeared like a bunch of roaches.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they intend to keep the store manager on. "She never intended for these guys to be arrested" is not really a great excuse, considering that in a best case scenario her intention was to have the police throw those guys out of the store. It still kinda blows my mind that a manager did this -- I would expect something this dumb from a supervisor or cashier or whatever.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Why did they even call the cops anyway

Rittenhouse Square literally has homeless people and panhandlers all the time

But nope can't sit in a Starbucks and wait for somebody

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
If the cops weren't pieces of shit, they would have never arrested them, held them for 9hrs, and we're only released because the DA declined to arraign them.

Also, man all of you "it wasn't racially motived" folks sure disappeared like a bunch of roaches.

Agreed. And also weird to make it about some corporate conglomerate (get your money tho, brehs), and not the individual racists who thought it was necessary to call the cops.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. And also weird to make it about some corporate conglomerate (get your money tho, brehs), and not the individual racists who thought it was necessary to call the cops.
I think it was the very late, very weak response and "apology" that made them such a large target. It took them an entire day to give that weakass "our bad" that no one was buying.
How much longer are you two going to do this?
Struck a nerve?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was the very late, very weak response and "apology" that made them such a large target. It took them an entire day to give that weakass "our bad" that no one was buying.
Their statement was issued at 10AM the next day.....roughly ~15-17 hours later. Which is maybe about the best you can expect for a giant corporation on a Friday night. They have to talk with employees, talk with the police, talk with the victims, etc......then draft their statement and then run that statement through legal, PR, and marketing. It's a weak statement all told, though their lawyers probably influenced that since they don't want it to be read as an admission of liability.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

The biggest piece of shit is definitely the manager that made the initial call to 911.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest piece of shit is definitely the manager that made the initial call to 911.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ProtectAndServe/comments/34zwuw/comment/cqzprew?st=JG0B69OZ&sh=4f8b21a4
Nah. Cops get calls from racists all the time. They didn't have to arrest them and they most certainly didbt have to hold them for 9hrs. The manager caused the initial harm but cops being cops, made it infinitely worse. They are the bigger pieces of shit here.

Oct 25, 2017
The manager should definitely be punished. There was no reason to call the cops and there are accounts from other people at the store that claimed they had been there longer without being asked to leave.

Clearly this isn't a Starbucks policy. They issued and apology albeit a weak on imo.

But the cops are the biggest offenders here. Ok. The cops were called. They have to check it out. Once they got there and realized nothing was actually wrong. They should have left. Not cuffed two black men and then hold them for 9 hours.

I will say this though. The manager knew what she was doing. She knew the potential outcome. she isn't innocent in this.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So did the manager got fired?

Doesn't sound like it, sounds like the store manager told Starbucks corporate that they didn't mean for the two black men to be arrested: https://news.starbucks.com/views/st...ter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=springfy18

We have immediately begun a thorough investigation of our practices. In addition to our own review, we will work with outside experts and community leaders to understand and adopt best practices. The video shot by customers is very hard to watch and the actions in it are not representative of our Starbucks Mission and Values. Creating an environment that is both safe and welcoming for everyone is paramount for every store. Regretfully, our practices and training led to a bad outcome—the basis for the call to the Philadelphia police department was wrong. Our store manager never intended for these men to be arrested and this should never have escalated as it did.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
The manager could have spoken up when she saw what was unfolding IF she wanted to

She didn't want to
Yea if she didn't mean for them to get arrested why didn't she say shit when it escalated?

Oh, better yet...

Why didn't she just NOT call police in the first place if she didn't intend for them to be arrested?

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, the Starbucks CEO seems like he wants a photo-op moment with the national news that shows him giving an in-person apology to the two men: https://news.starbucks.com/views/st...ter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=springfy18

In the coming days, I will be joining our regional vice president, Camille Hymes—who is on the ground in Philadelphia—to speak with partners, customers and community leaders as well as law enforcement. Most importantly, I hope to meet personally with the two men who were arrested to offer a face-to-face apology.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Prolly until the folks in question return without spouting more bullshit. Even Starbucks issued a weakness apology. A simple "my bad" would maybe suffice.

My bad. In this situation, racism played a huge factor.
------
Guess what though, the reason I didn't say it earlier is that that my words have been twisted and meaning lost more than enough, and I don't care to interact with the people doing that. Cue the mocking posts.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they cordially tell him to kick rocks

Me too, especially since the CEO of Starbucks is white: https://news.starbucks.com/contact/leadership/kevin-johnson

XHvPYeut-5616-3744.jpg

An apology doesn't mean shit coming from a rich white man to two black men in my opinion.

deussupreme

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised that the manager wasn't fired over this. Isn't Starbucks known for having people sit around?

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that the manager wasn't fired over this. Isn't Starbucks known for having people sit around?

It sure is, I've sat in a Starbucks for hours chilling out in the Starbucks without buying anything and I didn't get the Baltimore Police called on me. I won't be sitting in a Starbucks anymore after this fucked up situation.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
An apology doesn't mean shit coming from a rich white man to two black men in my opinion.

uh what?

What does it matter that the CEO is white? Did he try to get the victims arrested? And having a face to face apology is more than others would do. Granted, I know they're just doing this as damage control, but in most cases it's a phone call or a letter. This guy wants to do it in person. The only one that should be told to kick rocks is the person that called the cops. If it was the manager, he or she should be fired. This isn't Starbucks' fault. I can't even blame the cops for it, though they too should have absolutely issued an apology to the victims.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Me too, especially since the CEO of Starbucks is white: https://news.starbucks.com/contact/leadership/kevin-johnson

XHvPYeut-5616-3744.jpg

It's not his skin color. It's an issue that you're the lead guy in the company. Your employee did some racist bitch made bullshit. If you don't fire the employee you're sending a signal that you only pay give a shit about the PR problem and have no real intention of making substantive change.

Sad that some folk care more about some bigot making money than they do about the dignity and humanity of Black people. If you reading this and rolling your eyes you're exactly the kinda person I'm talking about.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
When I lived in Cali, there was never a time where I wouldn't see people just sitting around a Starbucks. No one ever called police or made a fuss if you ordered or not either.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
It's embarrassing reading the reactions to this story saying that "there must be more to it" or bringing up some anecdotal instance where some criminal had loitered so blame can't be put on the manager for jumping the gun and calling the cops. There is always going to be an outlier to most situations. However, just because you read a story about someone walking their dog and later going on a shooting spree doesn't mean that you should assume that every person who takes a dog for a walk is going to do the same. In this case it's solely based on appearance. It's racism, pure and simple. So many have been raised and brainwashed to be scared of a person based on the color of their skin because of how they have been depicted on television, newspapers, etc. People have died and unfortunately will continue to die for this same very reason. Luckily, in this case, the gentleman were able to get out with no physical harm brought to them. However, just look at their faces from the video and see that these scars run deep. Shameful.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's embarrassing reading the reactions to this story saying that "there must be more to it" or bringing up some anecdotal instance where some criminal had loitered so blame can't be put on the manager for jumping the gun and calling the cops. There is always going to be an outlier to most situations. However, just because you read a story about someone walking their dog and later going on a shooting spree doesn't mean that you should assume that every person who takes a dog for a walk is going to do the same. In this case it's solely based on appearance. It's racism, pure and simple. So many have been raised and brainwashed to be scared of a person based on the color of their skin because of how they have been depicted on television, newspapers, etc. People have died and unfortunately will continue to die for this same very reason. Luckily, in this case, the gentleman were able to get out with no physical harm brought to them. However, just look at their faces from the video and see that these scars run deep. Shameful.

As a person of color, watching the videos and seeing the looks on the two men's faces really pissed me off because it told me they've been through this bullshit before. Racism is still a reality in 2018.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm a "fuck the police, and anybody that love em" nigga. But the police ain't call them damn selves. A Starbucks employee did. Pigs can get fucked for making the shit worse, but absent that phone call, none of us are in here.

Fuck em all, basically.