• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I see people set up camp in Starbucks and not order anything ALL THE TIME. And these guys were just waiting for a friend before they ordered like gentlemen.

Fucking hell.

Heisenburger

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why do American police slap then handcuffs on before even speaking to people. Seems like it could have resolved with a conversation.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd never go into a starbucks without buying something specifically to avoid shit like this. I'll get a small coffee and just sip it once an hour if I have to. Fuck that. Not even giving em the excuse to try me with that bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
Generally speaking, the people that come back after being trespasssed are homeless, panhandlers, or mentally ill. Shoplifters as well.

There's also some subset of people who assume it's okay to come back because it's been a while and they think employees won't remember their face....or they think that old employees have left and new ones won't recognize them.

The store I worked at once had someone who stole our tip jar return months later to ask if we were hiring. People's brazenness is often surprising. Work in an urban retail setting long enough and you see all kinds of crazy stuff.

My friend who works a Starbucks actually started calling police on people basically running their businesses out of the Starbucks because telling them to leave repeatedly wasn't cutting it. There are plenty of people who basically treat it as a lounge where they don't have to do anything except maybe buy a small coffee in the morning and stay there all day. It's weird.

Absent such a history in this case, though, seems like the simpler explanation holds.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
My wife manages a Starbucks: we have no idea if these individuals have been asked to leave MANY times before. She literally had drug dealers camped in her location dealing. Shes been hit by customers. Shes found dead bodies in the bathroom. Shes had 50 different types of other crazies and homeless and stalkers and angry ex-employees and rich entitled white people and every other horror story in the book that she has called the cops on repeatedly. We have no idea the back story here.

What kinda Starbucks is this? lmao

valentine

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Why wouldn't they wait outside or order something small? I would feel kind of awkward by just chillin in there lol.

Obviously calling the police is an extreme and they should have been first asked to purchase something or vacate. (Not sure if this happened based on the video)

NotBacon

Oct 27, 2017
bruh, you just did the same shit I made that post about. The entire point of this thread is that there is NO VALID reason for these guys to get arrested. Thats the point.

The girls said she "thinks" the reason is trespassing. Its not confirmed. There is no statement made. There are no updates. As of now, there is no valid reason why they were arrested.

What we have are people "assuming" they were banned. Assuming they have some sort of guilt for waiting in a damn Starbucks for a friend.

That girl posted that vid at 5:50 yesterday. Those guys didn't get released till 1:30 AM today. 8 hours in fucking custody for what? for sitting?

These guys a real estate brokers. this thread is now about why black people are guilty until proven innocent and why white people are innocent until proven guilty.

What? The definition of trespassing is entering a place you are banned from. If it's true then that explains the accusation of trespassing. But again, no one is saying it's true. It's just what some girl "thinks she heard" (which you even repeated). Chill.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty fucked up situation. Im surprised this happened in Philly of all places with how diverse the population is here :/

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

Another video of it?

Yup.

So the officers said "Trespassing". Now we have confirmation.

They came in to use the bathroom then proceeded to wait. The attendant said they need to purchasing something or she'll call the cops. They refused, cops were called.

Cops told them to leave. They stood their ground, as they did nothing wrong. Cops arrest them.

Black cops gotta feel embarrassed as fuck in that scenario.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
What? The definition of trespassing is entering a place you are banned from. If it's true then that explains the accusation of trespassing. But again, no one is saying it's true. It's just what some girl "thinks she heard" (which you even repeated). Chill.

So turns out the violation is trespassing...

But nobody's banned or has ever been. They simply refused to comply with their order to leave. So please.. continue trying to put that status on these gentleman and look like a fool.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

They came in to use the bathroom then proceeded to wait. The attendant said they need to purchasing something or she'll call the cops. They refused, cops were called.

Cops told them to leave. They stood their ground, as they did nothing wrong. Cops arrest them.

You'd like to think so but...

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife manages a Starbucks: we have no idea if these individuals have been asked to leave MANY times before. She literally had drug dealers camped in her location dealing. Shes been hit by customers. Shes found dead bodies in the bathroom. Shes had 50 different types of other crazies and homeless and stalkers and angry ex-employees and rich entitled white people and every other horror story in the book that she has called the cops on repeatedly. We have no idea the back story here.

You're like Patrol, but for Starbucks. Lmao

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like an 8th Avenue Manhattan Starbucks.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friend who works a Starbucks actually started calling police on people basically running their businesses out of the Starbucks because telling them to leave repeatedly wasn't cutting it. There are plenty of people who basically treat it as a lounge where they don't have to do anything except maybe buy a small coffee in the morning and stay there all day. It's weird.
I'd be curious how busy the store is. Most Starbucks locations are pretty permissive about just letting people sit around all day, so long as there's seating available for actual customers. I've certainly heard that super-busy downtown locations will police their cafes pretty strictly though if it turns out that non-customers are taking up all the seats and preventing paying customers from being able to sit down.

It's kind of weird to hear this coming out of Starbucks at all, because they are arguably one of the chains that is the most permissive of loafers and loiterers. They shouldn't be calling police unless someone has outright refused to leave.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be curious how busy the store is. Most Starbucks locations are pretty permissive about just letting people sit around all day, so long as there's seating available for actual customers. I've certainly heard that super-busy downtown locations will police their cafes pretty strictly though if it turns out that non-customers are taking up all the seats and preventing paying customers from being able to sit down.

It's kind of weird to hear this coming out of Starbucks at all, because they are arguably one of the chains that is the most permissive of loafers and loiterers. They shouldn't be calling police unless someone has outright refused to leave.

Yeah, I dunno. I've only seen the baristas get firm with loiterers once in my own experience—even the homeless guys they've left alone (don't poke the bear, I guess.)

Starbucks definitely has the reputation of being a place to loaf around, I'd agree. I'd have bought an overpriced brownie for my waiting time, but otherwise I would have done what these guys did. Had a whole insurance meeting in a Dunkin Donuts once.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Why the need for so many Officers to show up for a Starbucks open hours "trespassing" call?
The police zerg rush to intimidate people into surrendering immediately. They're interested in doing whatever it takes to make you compliant, including playing on your primal survival instincts that tell you not to fight when you're surrounded by armed people.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

Nah...
af7d8e23-4916-4ea6-b33a-9d860cda7452_screenshot.jpg

Or his current form...
David-Clarke.jpg

cHaotix

Oct 25, 2017
OP, why do you have to bring race into this?

Its a self-reflecting meme. "_______while black". Add anything to it, even self-driving cars, and it'll have different results.

But you're in the know, right?

Actually took longer than expected this time

What the actual hell... That explanation should have been enough from the start. Absolutely ridiculous.

I mean I literally did this yesterday and managed to leave without the handcuffs soooo...

Do you really think a white female real estate agent would be arrested for waiting for her bestie in Starbucks?

1,2,3,4..5 posts after OP, should be some kind of record. (i believe you are joking)

Cause as a white person who has chilled in Starbucks without even ordering a water this has never happened to me.

Comfy place, free Wi-Fi, they are everywhere, and its easy to say meet me at the Starbucks at X and Y. See ya in 30.

Lol, I got bodied by this. Sarcasm can't be picked up over the internet, huh.

This is obviously a knowing joke based on the recent thread.

Pretty sure this is a reference to that thread from the other day.

This

I'm black, btw.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Learn to read bro and you're wife's anecdotal experience means nothing.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I'd never go into a starbucks without buying something specifically to avoid shit like this. I'll get a small coffee and just sip it once an hour if I have to. Fuck that. Not even giving em the excuse to try me with that bullshit.

Same here. I'm too fucking paranoid, man. Gimme the cheapest thing on the menu and I'll sit that cup next to me for the next 3 hours until I'm done with my homework.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
There's no defense for this.

Why arrested, why handcuffs? How many armed assholes do you even need in there? (the answer is 0).

I mean damn.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018

I'm sorry but I just have a hard time believing this

Dead bodies.......

Drug dealers openly selling dope in a coffee shop? What time was this and what would they have done if a cop decided he wanted a cup of joe and walked in? Most dealers try to avoid jail if they can help it, arranging and carrying out a drug sale in a place as public as starbucks is not a very smart thing to do

Its all too much, moreover I don't see how any of it is relevant here. These guys were not dealing drugs, they did not hit the manager or any employee, they were not homeless or stalking anyone. They are also very much alive and don't appear to be ex-employees

cHaotix

Oct 25, 2017
ok my bad but people post shit like that 100% serious all the damn time

we're obviously not at the point where posts like that can just be assumed as sarcasm

It's unfortunate that that's currently the case. Probably not the best decision in hindsight but humor is how I deal with these overwhelmingly ignorant and racist situations.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Shame on the staff for calling the cops over nothing. Shame on the cops for being complete imbeciles.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'm sorry but I just have a hard time believing this

Dead bodies.......

Drug dealers openly selling dope in a coffee shop? What time was this and what would they have done if a cop decided he wanted a cup of joe and walked in? Most dealers try to avoid jail if they can help it, arranging and carrying out a drug sale in a place as public as starbucks is not a very smart thing to do

Its all too much, moreover I don't see how any of it is relevant here. These guys were not dealing drugs, they did not hit the manager or any employee, they were not homeless or stalking anyone. They are also very much alive and don't appear to be ex-employees

Drug dealers have been using McDonalds as their personal office for decades. And dealers will just do the same thing they do any other time a cop walks around, they hide it. We are also in the middle of an opiate crisis. Some of you guys don't know what it's like to work fast food.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some straight up fucking bullshit. So many times I've seen sketch looking white dudes with patchy beards leeching wifi and they are a-ok. Honestly shit like this infurrates me. I don't care so much for myself but it's bullshit that my kid can't enjoy the same privilege and respect as his white friends.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People dying at Starbucks is not entirely unheard of. They just OD in the bathroom but if it's a busy enough location they'll be discovered before they expire.

http://trumbull.dailyvoice.com/poli...heroin-overdose-in-trumbull-starbucks/616178/

TRUMBULL, Conn. — A 24-year-old Stratford man found unconscious in the bathroom of a Starbucks in Trumbull died of a suspected heroin overdose, the Stratford Star reported.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/gwen-kenny-staddon-coroner-report-fentanyl-1.4038654

The B.C. Coroners Service has confirmed 16-year-old Gwyn Kenny-Staddon died in a Port Moody Starbucks washroom from an accidental overdose of heroin and fentanyl.

https://news24-680.com/2016/04/04/h...cks-sunday-spotlights-recent-influx-of-users/

NEWS24/680 readers who were present at the time expressed their shock and concern Sunday after a 17-year-old teen was discovered in the bathroom at the Theater Square Starbucks – unconscious and with a heroin needle still in his arm.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

The whole thing is some bullshit but why not just take the L and leave? I mean you're not going to win against the cops with a call like that. Business wants you to leave, cops will make you leave in cuffs if they have to. You can't even get people to care when folks are getting shot/killed by cops, you're not going to make a statement holding your ground in Starbucks. I dunno, this country sucks.