• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nemo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you guys wanna just predict something that didn't even happen to make your point better, go for it.
You pretty much countered your own point LOL. Exactly, we don't have actual situations to draw from because white people are rarely, if ever, in these situations to begin with.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I need more context than what there is in the OP. From the basic sound of it Iooks shitty but, were they behaving badly? Were they doing anything suspicious? How long were they sitting there without ordering before their friend came in? 1 min? 5? 30? 1 hour? I mean I won't and can't discard the racism option at all but I feel we might be missing a piece of story.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know you'd think white people would be eager to throw racists under the bus just to have the appearance of being the "good guy" but you know unless the situation is 1000% the fault of the cops or whatever, they'll rationalize it anyhow.

I suppose it's because they want the same benefit of the doubt if they happen to be in a racist incident perpetuated by themselves.

OP
OP
LionPride

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I need more context than what there is in the OP. From the basic sound of it Iooks shitty but, were they behaving badly? Were they doing anything suspicious? How long were they sitting there without ordering before their friend came in? 1 min? 5? 30? 1 hour? I mean I won't and can't discard the racism option at all but I feel we might be missing a piece of story.
You could click the tweet if you wanted

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
F34R,

please tell me you fully believe a white man walking into starbucks to use the restroom is immediately gonna bitched at to buy something afterwards...

Let alone going to the the COPS called on him for sitting down and waiting for friend.

You 100% believe this scenarios is exactly the same with 2 white men?
Well, by my experience, if these two men were white, and everything else was the same, yes. Just for the sake of it, I responded to a LOT of calls in my career about white people loitering in businesses. So... yes.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda funny that even their apology attempts to differentiate between the guys that were arrested and the people that were paying customers. If I were drafting that I probably would have just said "to everyone involved" or something.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Well, by my experience, if these two men were white, and everything else was the same, yes. Just for the sake of it, I responded to a LOT of calls in my career about white people loitering in businesses. So... yes.

I got called naive in the missile thread and I can accept that, because Im no expert nor super familiar with ME conflict.

So Im going to call you naive when it comes to racial interactions in America between people. Ive literally seen people talk to others and entirely switch up on someone else of a different race in a span of seconds.

You pretty much countered your own point LOL. Exactly, we don't have actual situations to draw from because white people are rarely, if ever, in these situations to begin with.

Aint this some gold right here. We basically have to make shit up and theorize because it aint even happening to begin with

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know goddamn well no one's calling the cops on two white dudes for sitting, you motherfuckers just wanna talk for the sake of talking.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I got called naive in the missile thread and I can accept that, because Im no expert nor super familiar with ME conflict.

So Im going to call you naive when it comes to racial interactions in America between people. Ive literally seen people talk to others and entirely switch up on someone else of a different race in a span of seconds.

Aint this some gold right here. We basically have to make shit up and theorize because it aint even happening to begin with
I've seen a great deal of things when it comes to racial interactions in America between people lol. I'm naive?

Let's take a look at my life here...
I went to a high school was that was predominantly African-American, I was one of five white students. I think I've seen a lot of racial interactions in that respect. I was in law enforcement for 13 years, two of which was in a city that was 73% African-American, 24% white. I worked in a city where the clerk of a gas station calls the cops for a white man loitering, and not an african-american man, AT THE SAME time. I worked in a city where we had more calls against white men loitering than any other race or ethnicity.

I've seen my fair share of racially tense situations. I'm naive though.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ITT: Once again people who can think enough to say racism is bad but can't take the small leap to see an act of racism for what it is, or more probable, refuse to do it. Every time.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact Philly has paid out 35+ mil in police civil right lawsuits in the last 3 years alone

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if the employees were just following protocol why is Starbucks apologising?
There's a protocol for customers that have been asked to leave and refuse to do so.

It gets much more muddy about who exactly should be asked to leave and why. I think they are tacitly admitting that those guys probably should not have been told to hit the road.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know, its possible actual situations were posted were actual white people were actually removed for trespassing numerous times and you guys said they were anecdotal and I got warned for arguing in bad faith. You're probably right that this never happens.

Nemo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a great deal of things when it comes to racial interactions in America between people lol. I'm naive?

I went to a high school was that was predominantly African-American, I was one of five white students. I think I've seen a lot of racial interactions in that respect. I was in law enforcement for 13 years, two of which was in a city that was 73% African-American, 24% white. I worked in a city where the clerk of a gas station calls the cops for a white man loitering, and not an african-american man, AT THE SAME time. I worked in a city where we had more calls against white men loitering than any other race or ethnicity.

What an amazing biography and share of life experiences you have. I'm surprised that with this kind of experience you can't see this situation for what it is. And lol @ comparing gas station loitering being the same as sitting in a casual eatery where simply socializing is a common practice for 1000's across the country everyday.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

You know what the difference is?

Those spots you had to report to probably weren't the goto corporate hipster lounge we are discussing here. Ya know, the business that offers free wifi as a perk explicitly to have people come in and hang out and possibly order something. Please let me know if you heave dealt with a Starbucks loitering complaint. Keep in mind that loitering itself is a half ass "crime" in itself. Staying in one place too long... yeah thats a huge problem there. You should be well aware how easy "loitering" is applied to black males then.

With that background of yours, you should be well aware how racially charged this shit is. Call it what you want, "loitering, trespassing, fucking sitting down"

Clearly the barista didn't want them in store because she went from 0 to order or I call the damn cops...

Who thinks like that? Who acts like that? A racist.

Here another point: See that guy in the video sticking up for them? He just walked in the store... He didn't buy a goddamn thing. I didn't see the barista threaten him to buy something. He actually caused more of a commotion than the others guys by sticking up for them!

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, its possible actual situations were posted were actual white people were actually removed for trespassing numerous times and you guys said they were anecdotal and I got warned for arguing in bad faith. You're probably right that this never happens.

You were arguing in bad faith. You were ignoring the facts of this case to push your own bias based on your wife's past experiences in a different state and city.

The point isn't that white people dont get removed for trespassing, it's that these two men weren't trespassing and that the Starbucks employees and police overreacted.

They didn't have priors like you were hoping.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll wait to see what the guys who were arrested have to say. I simply don't buy the police version of events.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you guys wanna just predict something that didn't even happen to make your point better, go for it. You both know for a fact that if at this particular time, if those two guys were white, this wouldn't have happened at all? I'm basing everything regarding what happened in this case, on this case. I'm being obtuse because I'm going on what we actually know about this case so far, and not making up some scenario that didn't happen at this location? /smh

You are ignoring the reality that people of color face, typical of a police officer really.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is fucking crazy. Sue, sue sue. My white ass was sitting in a starbucks for like 45 minutes not ordering anything a couple weeks ago and no problemo.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You were arguing in bad faith. You were ignoring the facts of this case to push your own bias based on your wife's past experiences in a different state and city.

The point isn't that white people dont get removed for trespassing, it's that these two men weren't trespassing and that the Starbucks employees and police overreacted.

They didn't have priors like you were hoping.
I wasn't hoping they had priors. However many many posts claim that white people don't get removed for trespassing, which I was and am countering. But you know what, no one cares. The narrative for this thread is linear and clear. Have at it, I'm out.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't hoping they had priors. However many many posts claim that white people don't get removed for trespassing, which I was and am countering. But you know what, no one cares. The narrative for this thread is linear and clear. Have at it, I'm out.
You cared enough to come in here and bitch about people questioning your "great knowledge" of the situation. Hey, before you tantrum out of the thread, can you link to the posters that you claimed assumed you were racist?

Da-Kid

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
So you can come into and buy nothing and use Wi-Fi or just relax. They are known for being a free lounge. And there's definitely no bullshit about the bathrooms because it wouldn't make any sense. So saying they were trespassing is wholly untrue especially considering they had a reason to be there.

What the damn?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
What an amazing biography and share of life experiences you have. I'm surprised that with this kind of experience you can't see this situation for what it is. And lol @ comparing gas station loitering being the same as sitting in a casual eatery where simply socializing is a common practice for 1000's across the country everyday.
The gas station is just an example. It happens at fast food places, family restaurants, and so on. See it for what it is? I don't sit here and generalize situations based on other accounts unless it has something related to this. If this had happened before in the same situation at this store, then that would change my perspective on it.
You know what the difference is?

Those spots you had to report to probably weren't the goto corporate hipster lounge we are discussing here. Ya know, the business that offers free wifi as a perk explicitly to have people come in and hang out and possibly order something. Please let me know if you heave dealt with a Starbucks loitering complaint. Keep in mind that loitering itself is a half ass "crime" in itself. Staying in one place too long... yeah thats a huge problem there. You should be well aware how easy "loitering" is applied to black males then.

With that background of yours, you should be well aware how racially charged this shit is. Call it what you want, "loitering, trespassing, fucking sitting down"

Clearly the barista didn't want them in store because she went from 0 to order or I call the damn cops...

Who thinks like that? Who acts like that? A racist.

Here another point: See that guy in the video sticking up for them? He just walked in the store... He didn't buy a goddamn thing. I didn't see the barista threaten him to buy something. He actually caused more of a commotion than the others guys by sticking up for them!
I disagree that it was racially charged. I'm not saying your view is wrong. I'm not saying mine right.
You are ignoring the reality that people of color face, typical of a police officer really.
I'm not ignoring it at all.

—break—

No need to argue the racial component with me unless there is more to this incident than what we already know.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
So you can come into and buy nothing and use Wi-Fi or just relax. They are known for being a free lounge. And there's definitely no bullshit about the bathrooms because it wouldn't make any sense. So saying they were trespassing is wholly untrue especially considering they had a reason to be there.

What the damn?

Nah its iight, Lets just ignore the fact that half the reason Starbucks has a name is because it allowed bloggers sit they ass down all day while working. And everyone cried in glee in how awesome that was.

Lets ignore the fact that Starbucks advertises itself as a lounge

Lets ignore the fact that this practice became widespread to McDonalds and Chicfila because its good business and gets people in the store.

Lets ignore the fact that these men are real estate brokers because you obviously can't be in real estate if you don't wear suit, tie, dress shirt and dress pants 24/7

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I could bet a lot of money, that if it was a blonde white women sitting there, she would get a free coffee instead of getting arrested.

Anyway, I keep trying to tell myself that not most Americans are like that, but I m finding it harder not to believe that.

Forearms

Oct 25, 2017

Lauren said another woman had entered the Starbucks minutes before the men were arrested and was given the bathroom code without having to buy anything and that another person in the restaurant at the time of the incident "announced that she had been sitting at Starbucks for the past couple of hours without buying anything."

Infuriating...

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gas station is just an example. It happens at fast food places, family restaurants, and so on. See it for what it is? I don't sit here and generalize situations based on other accounts unless it has something related to this. If this had happened before in the same situation at this store, then that would change my perspective on it.

I disagree that it was racially charged. I'm not saying your view is wrong. I'm not saying mine right.

I'm not ignoring it at all.

—break—

No need to argue the racial component with me unless there is more to this incident than what we already know.

No need to argue the racial component of a racially motivated event. Sure Jan, your shtick is pretty transparent.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

See the problem is, Im inclined to believe this paragraph from the article has you burying your head to the reality of the situation. Its not about being right or wrong, Its about calling what this shit is... Discrimination.

Outrage is mounting after two men were arrested at a Philadelphia Starbucks, and an eyewitness said a manager escalated the situation by calling police instead of asking the men to buy something or leave.

Lauren, who asked that her last name not be used, shot video of the two men being arrested at the Starbucks just before 5 p.m. on April 12. She said the incident began after the men asked to use the bathroom and were told that it was only available for paying customers, which Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross later confirmed.

After the men had been "quietly hanging out, chatting and waiting for their friend," she said officers entered the restaurant and asked the two men to leave, saying that they would be trespassing if they did not leave.

"The two young men politely asked why they were being told to leave and were not given a reason other than the manager wanted them to leave," she told ABC in an email.

The men told the officer that they were waiting for a friend to arrive and offered to call that friend to prove that they had legitimate business at the restaurant, she said.

At that point, she said several officers began to move tables and chairs around the two men and take them into custody.

The friend for whom the men were waiting then arrived and attempted to intervene, but police told him the men "were not paying customers and thus were trespassing," Lauren recalled.

"The two men stayed calm and did not raise their voices once. Everyone else in the Starbucks, however, was appalled," she added.

Lauren said another woman had entered the Starbucks minutes before the men were arrested and was given the bathroom code without having to buy anything and that another person in the restaurant at the time of the incident "announced that she had been sitting at Starbucks for the past couple of hours without buying anything."

wait a min................

soooo you're officially clown shoes right now!

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, if you guys wanna just predict something that didn't even happen to make your point better, go for it.
If they had been white, and refused to leave, I'm confident they would have been arrested.

eYSKMuW.png

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Lauren said another woman had entered the Starbucks minutes before the men were arrested and was given the bathroom code without having to buy anything and that another person in the restaurant at the time of the incident "announced that she had been sitting at Starbucks for the past couple of hours without buying anything.""!

oh my... wow...

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Times like this we need someone as eloquent as Malcom X to speak the truth about the oppression minorities face in America. Some Americans are starting to normalize these type of behavior and minorities should not stand for it.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
And just like that, everyone claiming there is no racial component to this, disappears from the thread.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Would these loitering white people be handcuffed by police even when there's no aggression?

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure how any of these questions you asked for clarification would make the arrest legitimate.