• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not how it works unfortunately. It's way harder to increase the frame rate.

The game code itself would have to be adjusted.

I wonder if we'll start to see newer games with an unlocked frame rate option even if the option is useless for the hardware they're released on.

As long as framerate is unlocked, a given
If framerate is locked and without touching the code, no dice

Even base x1 could get near 60fps in some unlocked games. That's not the issue

Yeah makes sense. IIRC unlocked framerates were far more common on the PS3 than 360. Boo!

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Where is Silent Hill 2???

200.gif

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I own Force Unleashed but never actually played through it. Now might be the time.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Forgive my ignorance, but does this mean if I have an original disc version of Red Dead Redemption for the Xbox 360, and I put that disc in an Xbox One X, I can play it with the advanced visuals? Or do I need to re-buy it through the MS storefront on Xbox One X to get access to the improved visuals. I don't actually own an Xbox One, but RDR is the only reason I still have my OG 360 hooked up, and my birthday is next month; I might make the plunge to the One X if I don't need to rebuy anything to get one of my favorite games from last-gen in HD.

Also, do you get benefits even without a 4K screen (eg, can you supersample at 1080P)?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive my ignorance, but does this mean if I have an original disc version of Red Dead Redemption for the Xbox 360, and I put that disc in an Xbox One X, I can play it with the advanced visuals? Or do I need to re-buy it through the MS storefront on Xbox One X to get access to the improved visuals. I don't actually own an Xbox One, but RDR is the only reason I still have my OG 360 hooked up, and my birthday is next month; I might make the plunge to the One X if I don't need to rebuy anything to get one of my favorite games from last-gen in HD.

Also, do you get benefits even without a 4K screen (eg, can you supersample at 1080P)?

You put the disc in, it downloads the package from the store and the disc acts as a key to play.

Yes you get a sharper image at 1080p. The X automatically supersamples a game when connected to a 1080p screen.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Gears of War 2 looks great. If only you could take the Instagram filter off, it'd be perfect.

If Gears of War gets the same X enhanced treatment, it'll make the Ultimate Edition seem like a massive waste of time and will probably end up looking better just through BC.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
I'll join in the request for Max Payne 3 and please Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

I can finally retire my 360.

Nier is keeping my 360 hooked up on my desk. Everyone make some noise for Nier please.

I was saying the same thing about AC Rogue and then I caved in and played it. Days later it went BC. Lemme play Nier on the One X with magic improvements!

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like people got pissed off a bit when I said I don't really see the appeal (personally) of buying an X or One S for these BC enhancements. Seeing them just makes me feel like I'd rather just have a full blown Remake. This is also mainly because of the slew of remakes we're seeing everywhere as it is (Shadow of the Colossus, REmake2, FFVII Remake, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Yakuza Kiwami/2, etc etc etc), makes me want the remakes more than some resolution/minor texture upgrades. That's just me.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I wouldn't, I mean know money reasons it may be annoying, but if you can get both there's nothing wrong with the Pro, I still consider Sony's exclusives to be on top by a large margin *ducks* I know that's probably not cool to say in this thread but ND and a few other studios are still king for me in the console world *dives out of the way* so having both is a really great spot to be in at this point *takes a shoe off the face*
And thank god we all know its a matter of taste. There are people who dont care about any of this Sony games. And no need to derail this topic with playstation fluff.

Like someone said it would b cool if MS would allow the 4k toggle for everyone with maybe some warning that games could run worse or that you could run into problems etc. Or they let insiders test some games for 4k.

RAGE and GTA4 in 4k would be glorious.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like people got pissed off a bit when I said I don't really see the appeal (personally) of buying an X or One S for these BC enhancements. Seeing them just makes me feel like I'd rather just have a full blown Remake. This is also mainly because of the slew of remakes we're seeing everywhere as it is (Shadow of the Colossus, REmake2, FFVII Remake, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Yakuza Kiwami/2, etc etc etc), makes me want the remakes more than some resolution/minor texture upgrades. That's just me.
Many of those games you list are examples of games that were held back by Playstation hardware, though. Their fundamental design both visually and mechanically was shaped in a way that made them extremely "of their time". They needed dramatic overhauls to be up to snuff. For instance, these are both 2005 games.

Conker doesn't really NEED remastering. (Although 16:9 support would obviously be good.) I'd argue the same's true of many high profile Xbox titles. They look great. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Double Agent, for instance. They're good looking games. The PC version might have some enhancements over the Xbox version, and the PC versions arguably need to be re-released with fixes for modern hardware/OSes, but the Xbox versions of those games could be bought to BC at 4K and they'd look fantastic. They'd also play fantastically because their controls are timeless. One of the issues with PS1 and PS2 games is archaic controls. Stuff like completely lacking camera control, for instance. But high profile Xbox games pretty much universally had contemporary controls. So you can pick them up and play them.

The benefit of BC is allowing these games to firstly be played by a new audience and for old audiences to play them on a new platform. But the other benefit is that these games will truly shine. A lot of older consoles had pretty poor image quality. Conker looking amazing in 2005. It's gonna look even more amazing in 2018. And the game design doesn't need to be changed or remade for audiences to appreciate it.

This is even more true for Xbox 360 games. PC gamers have long enjoyed image quality that far exceeds the console versions. They were good looking games in spite of themselves. Xbox players were shocking to discover how good Mirror's Edge looked, but PC gamers had been playing an incredibly good looking version of Mirror's Edge since 2008. It just took until recently for console audiences to have access to stable framerates and high resolution for these games.

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
Many of those games you list are examples of games that were held back by Playstation hardware, though. Their fundamental design both visually and mechanically was shaped in a way that made them extremely "of their time". They needed dramatic overhauls to be up to snuff. For instance, these are both 2005 games.

Conker doesn't really NEED remastering. (Although 16:9 support would obviously be good.) I'd argue the same's true of many high profile Xbox titles. They look great. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Double Agent, for instance. They're good looking games. The PC version might have some enhancements over the Xbox version, and the PC versions arguably need to be re-released with fixes for modern hardware/OSes, but the Xbox versions of those games could be bought to BC at 4K and they'd look fantastic. They'd also play fantastically because their controls are timeless. One of the issues with PS1 and PS2 games is archaic controls. Stuff like completely lacking camera control, for instance. But high profile Xbox games pretty much universally had contemporary controls. So you can pick them up and play them.

The benefit of BC is allowing these games to firstly be played by a new audience and for old audiences to play them on a new platform. But the other benefit is that these games will truly shine. A lot of older consoles had pretty poor image quality. Conker looking amazing in 2005. It's gonna look even more amazing in 2018. And the game design doesn't need to be changed or remade for audiences to appreciate it.

This is even more true for Xbox 360 games. PC gamers have long enjoyed image quality that far exceeds the console versions. They were good looking games in spite of themselves. Xbox players were shocking to discover how good Mirror's Edge looked, but PC gamers had been playing an incredibly good looking version of Mirror's Edge since 2008. It just took until recently for console audiences to have access to stable framerates and high resolution for these games.

I guess where I'm coming from is that in my opinion, I wouldn't buy an Xbox One X to play these BC games again for a resolution bump. I'd need an overhaul that makes them literally look and feel like a current gen game to do so. I'm not saying the BC enhancements aren't noticeable. Of course they are. But I feel like they're not really worth it to shell out cash to play old games that look a little better. If you already have an X or One S that you bought, then this is for sure I nice little add on. But from someone who doesn't have an Xbox as of yet and is fine with their OG PS4, it doesn't do enough for me to buy one. I should have probably explained that better before lol

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I guess where I'm coming from is that in my opinion, I wouldn't buy an Xbox One X to play these BC games again for a resolution bump. I'd need an overhaul that makes them literally look and feel like a current gen game to do so. I'm not saying the BC enhancements aren't noticeable. Of course they are. But I feel like they're not really worth it to shell out cash to play old games that look a little better. If you already have an X or One S that you bought, then this is for sure I nice little add on. But from someone who doesn't have an Xbox as of yet and is fine with their OG PS4, it doesn't do enough for me to buy one. I should have probably explained that better before lol

If you don't regularly go back to older games then there is little point in buying an X for BC improvements obviously

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I honestly have to ask if you have so little interest into BC games what have led you to constantly post that opinion in this thread?

Btw there are people thinking the opposite ...

Sorry Credit Card... I couldn't handle the awesomeness.

Bought my Xbox One X yesterday and today I just bought the Red Dead Redemption GOTY (second print box with the Xbox One and 360 logo) on Mercado Livre (just like Ebay but in Brazil).

Sadly it will take more than 10 days to deliver. But Forza Horizon 1 and Game Pass will keep me busy (also God of War is right around the corner).

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017

I look more at the intangibles of this focus on backwards compatibility. I might not have any interest in playing a backwards compatible version of Red Dead that is X enhanced, however, I am FAR more likely to invest in the Xbox ecosystem and buy games digitally because I know Microsoft values retaining play-ability across generations. So games I buy currently are more likely to function in the future (and maybe run even better), since they have a proven track record. That's why I personally love all these announcements and continued investment in this program.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

You have to have some interest because you are here posting. Again.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Then why are you here, to let us know you don't care? Mission accomplished, moving on..... lol

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone should take a look at these xbox and xbox 360 4k games to see how they compare to the pc versions at this point. I remember the difficulties in getting older games to play at 1080p on pc much less 4k . Digital foundry this could be fun :)

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
And thank god we all know its a matter of taste. There are people who dont care about any of this Sony games. And no need to derail this topic with playstation fluff.

There are some who don't care, and there are some who do. I wasn't derailing anything, I didn't even bring up Sony in the first place, I was replying to someone who did who was expressing regret about their purchase. Calm down, I have & love every platform. I've probably put these new BC options to use more than you.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Gears of War 2 looks great. If only you could take the Instagram filter off, it'd be perfect.

If Gears of War gets the same X enhanced treatment, it'll make the Ultimate Edition seem like a massive waste of time and will probably end up looking better just through BC.

GoW needs touching up either via a UE or BC patch. It's the only one with no 4K!

...and Judgement I guess...