• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Dbdgo2K.png

SKALD: Against the Black Priory is a classic, turn-based RPG featuring modern design combined with a classic 8-bit look and feel.
It's set in a dark and gritty fantasy universe: full of tragic heroes, violent deaths and eldritch horror.

With a dark, immersive plot and inspired by legendary titles such as Ultima and the gold box series, this is my love letter to classic roleplaying.

SKALD: Against the Black Priory is a tile and turn based roleplaying game where you lead a party of up to six characters on an epic and perilous quest.

The game features:
  • Vintage graphics using the glorious Commodore 64 color palette
  • Complex level-based character development with abilities, skills and features
  • Grindless tactical combat
  • "Choose-your-own-adventure" system and dynamic, tree based dialog.
As a party based RPG, SKALD puts heavy emphasis on both roleplaying- and mechanical interaction between party members.
The current leader of the party can be swapped by the push of a button and the skills and abilities of the current leader will influence interactions with the game world. But be warned: Managing the party can be challenging with members having private agendas and motivations.
Combat in SKALD is turn- and menu-based. This leads to fast and grind-less combat (that can be automated). The design emphasis is on having interactions between abilities, tactics and situational circumstances create unique and challenging combat every time.

The game will feature a rich and highly interactive world with both scripted and systemic ways of interacting with the hundreds of NPCs, items, objects and plot points. The game will allow for, and encourage, a large range of player expression and roleplaying.

Interacting with the world takes place through tree-based dialog, "choose-you-own-adventure sequences", combat, tile-based exploration and interaction with in-game systems.

The GIFs of the game really sell it -

RqI6Rm3.gif

0PpXfgm.gif

XhRvnn3.gif

XMoNbYm.gif

I mean look at these! Gimme this game NOW.

Manual and Campaign Guide
The manual and campaign guide will, at a minimum, be a 32-page. soft-cover booklet with black and white illustrations. The manual will explain the rules and gameplay, whilst the campaign guide will serve as an introduction to the SKALD universe with an emphasis on the Gallian Empire and the Island of Idra with its locations and surroundings.

Besides providing hints and context for the main game, the campaign guide will contain enough information that it will be possible to use the setting in a tabletop RPG campaign.

The manual will be available in print and / or as a digital file depending on reward tier.

Music!

Website and Dev Log: https://www.skaldrpg.com/

GO GO GO!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Hella style, but the high fidelity "C64" visuals are bothering me, lol.

Wish 'em luck in their Kickstarter.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those games I think looks really cool but is definitely something I'd probably never get in to. I have zero patience when something seems confusing.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Also, a character sprite import option would be so cool, draw your own sprite in a photo editor and put it in the game.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder to keep reminding developers that they specifically wrote release on Steam on PC.
You don't want an update:
It's now exclusive to Epic.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Reminder to keep reminding developers that they specifically wrote release on Steam on PC.
You don't want an update:
It's now exclusive to Epic.
I don't think there's anything legally forbidding them from "changing their mind" on a Steam release, right? All we can do is talk about it from a moral standpoint

OP
OP
BrokenFiction

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
First Stretch Goal -

90.000 NOK: Mountains of Madness
The adventure extends beyond the isle of Idra, into the icy hellscape that is the northern polar regions. Its hostile climate, cyclopean ruins and eldritch horrors will test your mettle as you sail into the eternal night of the high north!

The high north will significantly extend the games overworld size and will add hours of gameplay intended for higher level characters. I would really like to dip into source-material like HP Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness", John Carpenter's "The Thing", or the brilliant TV-drama "The Terror". The motif of polar expeditions finding impossibly old things in the ice and going man has always appealed to me (must be a Norwegian thing).

I really want to make this so let's make sure we reach that 90.000 NOK stretch-goal!

(1 NOK = 0.12 USD, so about $10,365)

SkaldPRG

Jun 5, 2019
Hi there! SKALD developer here! Sorry I haven't had time to drop by sooner but the last three days have been wild!

As you have heard we funded SKALD: Against the Black Priory in less then 24 hours and we're now have 200 backer and coming up on our first stretch goal!

This is amazing and I'm loving every second of it! The backers are super passionate and I'm loving the feedback I'm getting so far! For now communication is being handlet through Kickstarter and as soon as I'm ready we'll be migrating to Discord!

Do you have questions or comments? If so, please feel free to get in touch! Follow me on Twitter, subscribe to the devlog, or back us on Kickstarter!

Thank you so much for you interest and enthusiasm so far!

AL
Scape-IT

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why people like this 8-bit look apart from nostalgia. It was ugly back then out of necessity but today it's just ugly.

OP
OP
BrokenFiction

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
New Stretch Goal -

105.000 NOK: The "Captain" Class
SKALD: Against the Black Priory is intended to ship with five "canonical" classes (more on that soon - I promise) . If we reach 105.000 NOK I will design a sixth class: "The Captain". The Captain is a combat based class with strong leadership skills and expert maritime and navigational skills.

This should make for some interesting combat gameplay as the Captain combines his excellent swordsmanship with his keen tactical sense, allowing him to inspire and coordinate the rest of the party.

As a game with a strong maritime component, the Captain should also add plenty of opportunity for adventuring as you explore the game world by sea: Trading, smugling and daring the dangers that inhabit the black depths of the ocean.

The game will also include a recruitable NPC with the Captain class.

Finally I'm scrambling to get a short post ready about the classes and abilities of the game and I also hope to start making short video blog segments where I describe aspects of gameplay in more detail.

(105,000 NOK is about $12,081.)

khaz

Oct 25, 2017
Could this game be made on the C64 or is it breaking some limitations?

OP
OP
BrokenFiction

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Update:

Hello backers!

The Kickstarter just reached its second stretch goal (105.000 NOK / 12.000 USD) and I'm now bringing you a sixth class to the game: the captain!

Even better: That means I now get to announce the third stretch goal for when we reach 120.000 NOK / 13.800 USD!

The Port of Adler's Helm
Adler's Helm is the northern-most Imperial provincial capital and the seat of Imperial power in the north. It's also the jumping-off point for the expedition to Idra and the Black Priory!

By adding Adler's Helm to the game, I finally get to make the game a three act piece: from the bleak isle of Idra, to the streets of Adler's Helm and the frozen hellscape of the high North!

OP
OP
BrokenFiction

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
3 days to go!

Update 11:

If we make the final (?) stretch-goal of 160.000 NOK / 18.400 USD we're adding a procedurally generated murder-dungeon to the game as optional side content! The area will be completely optional and besides the main game, and will allow you to create a party of up to 6 custom characters and take them on a doomed descent into an infinite dungeon. This will allow you to keep enjoying SKALD long after you've finished the main game!

There's a new article on the devlog: This one regarding combat and adventuring systems in the SKALD engine. Check it out today if you want to learn more!

Combat-1.gif

Imma steal some highlights:

Design pillars for combat and adventuring

Respect the players time: SKALD is developed for a modern audience and this means allowing players to pick up the game, play a short session and still have a fun experience. This includes reducing book-keeping by adding features such as a journal system and auto-mapping, avoiding grindy areas of pointless content padding, making combat fast and having a forgiving save system that allows the player to save anywhere.​
Allow the player to make informed choices: The game should be mostly transparent in how the rules work and how the characters class, stats and roleplaying choices interact with the world.​
Provide multiple solutions to quests: Quests should be solvable by non-combat means and players should be able to play non combat-oriented characters.​
Choices matter: The world should be interactive and react to players choices.​
The SKALD scripting language is quite powerful in allowing me to reference player skills, abilities and previous player choices in the dialogue and the "choose-your-own-adventure" sequences.​
Specifically, this gives me a lot of leeway in creating scenes with multiple solutions beyond combat (I'm taking a big leaf from the early Fallout games here). There should be room for all the different classes, and builds, to shine.​
As combat begins, the game switches from the tile-map to the tactical map. The tactical map consts of a background with the combatants animated upon it.​
Combatants do not move freely around the battlefield and combat is not tile-based. Instead the combatants occupy either the front, or rear rank of their formation. The player is of course, free to reorder the party formation during combat to move characters between the front and rear rank.​
In general a melee weapon (excluding spears and pole-arms) can only attack the adjacent enemy rank, whilst ranged weapons and exceptionally long weapons can attack more distant ranks.​
For now I'm hoping to make combat difficult but not unfair. Party-members are very rarely killed outright in combat. Instead they are knocked out and failure only comes if the entire part is somehow incapacitated. Knocked-out party members come around after combat (albeit at reduced total HP). I'm also playing around with having a sanity score in the game and taking a lot of beatings might impact sanity in the long run. I've chosen to go with this decision because I don't want combat to prompt constant save-scumming​
Finally, combat has an auto-resolve feature that can be used to resolve full rounds of combat allowing players to blow through easier encounters or finishing combats quickly once they have them "locked down".​

https://emails.kickstarter.com/mps2...5IMaPv6lrsMcNDxksmGAptgn90jcJk6rhg-3D-3D/b6UT

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
As an old C64 gamer I love the look of this game. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

OP
OP
BrokenFiction

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Just a heads up. Al is reopening this on Indiegogo because he had a huge swell of requests based on this RPS interview.

This means that if you missed the Kickstarter, now is your chance to back the game and secure either a discounted digital copy or one of the exclusive physical editions for yourself!
The campaign will stay open until the end of 2019.

If you missed it the first time, you're in luck.
He says this is basically a way to secure additional funds, let more people get in, and won't be adding new features to drag it out.

Also, Swen is on board. šŸ˜

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up. Al is reopening this on Indiegogo because he had a huge swell of requests based on this RPS interview.

If you missed it the first time, you're in luck.
He says this is basically a way to secure additional funds, let more people get in, and won't be adding new features to drag it out.

Also, Swen is on board. šŸ˜

Why is the writer obsessed with sweaters?

adamma666

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, I really like the gifs in the op, but the gameplay in this video is not doing it for me graphically. Looks too advanced to me, if anyone gets what I mean. The game lost its style imo.