• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JYOUNG188

Nov 3, 2017
Really great first impression. It's more intuitive than session and I love how much control you have over each foot. Early catching a kick flip with the back foot over a barrier or catching a tre flip early with the front foot is so fucking cool. Can't wait to get more levels and polish but I'm very very impressed with what they've done so far. I'll be playing hours and hours of this courthouse level like the og skate demo on 360.

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
So... I'll be honest. Does no one else find this game... suspicious? I mean, Session is still a few quarters away from early access after a kickstarter campaign a year ago and this game just popped out of nowhere? I don't like to bash devs based on speculation, but I can't help but admit that my discomfort kept me from purchasing this.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Added this to my wishlist. I was a big fan of the first skate game so I hope this turns out to be as good if not better

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
So... I'll be honest. Does no one else find this game... suspicious? I mean, Session is still a few quarters away from early access after a kickstarter campaign a year ago and this game just popped out of nowhere? I don't like to bash devs based on speculation, but I can't help but admit that my discomfort kept me from purchasing this.

I wouldn't necessary call it suspicious, but I have that feeling in the back of my mind.
Crea-ture Studios the devs behind Sessions, have social media accounts, and their pretty active with the community. I have let see that from this developer. Skater XL is based from a mobile game title "Skater," but other than that, it came out of nowhere, and theres every little comments from the Dev.

I see where you're coming from.

Oct 29, 2017
Actually, the game was being worked on for many years prior. There was an YouTube account (etaks + some number that I forgot) that would sometimes upload videos of an ongoing skate game in development, but these videos were later removed around a year ago, and this dev was hired by the people that made SKATER at some point. The game was always being worked on, it just didn't have a social media presence.

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
Actually, the game was being worked on for many years prior. There was an YouTube account (etaks + some number that I forgot) that would sometimes upload videos of an ongoing skate game in development, but these videos were later removed around a year ago, and this dev was hired by the people that made SKATER at some point. The game was always being worked on, it just didn't have a social media presence.

Ahh, I think I've seen those etaks videos before so that does make more sense.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I would love it if we could record and edit my runs with an "in game camera man/director" like the old Driver games.

Oct 29, 2017
New update came out (public beta). Here's the announcement: https://steamcommunity.com/games/962730/announcements/detail/1586879708970123423

Some small excerpts:

New Character
As mentioned in previous updates, we have scanned a new character model that is now playable in the game. New animations have not yet been implemented, however. You'll notice that the new character has improved textures and quality. We're still working on those eyes though :)

Gear Selector + new clothing options
We have implemented the ability to change the character's clothes, as well as adding some additional clothing options. This will not be the entirety of gear options, but we're looking to test the functionality of the selector and quality of gear textures.

Southern California Skatepark Map
We've included a new map which allows you to skate a Southern California classic from your PC anywhere in the world - palm trees, warm sunset and all.

Map Selection
We've added a map selection menu that will allow you to quickly and easily switch between the Courthouse, Encinitas Skatepark, your installed Modded Maps, and future official maps. To switch between maps, press the 'Start' button and select 'Maps' in the menu.

Grabs
We teased this feature a few months back and have refined the system to a point that we are happy to release it for your enjoyment. Like other elements of the game, the grabbing system includes Skater XL's highly responsive independent stick control to tweak and style the grab any way you like, adding even more creative possibilities to the game.

Pin Mover / Teleporter
You can now easily move around maps and choose your spawn point anywhere you like quickly and easily. Press Y (XBox) or Square (PS4) to activate.

Replay Editor
We have implemented a replay editor based on Kiwi's original mod so that you can officially replay and capture clips of your skating. The loading time when first opening the editor has been greatly improved so the replay plays smoothly instantly.

Quarterpipe ollie and landing improvements
We have included many further improvements to transition skating. We hope this will improve the experience in the many skatepark style mod maps based around transition and ramps and in future planned official maps. This is such a big part of skateboarding and we're stoked to be bringing more and more of these elements to Skater XL.

Pumping
To manage speed while skating transition obstacles, we have added a pumping mechanic. To utilize this new feature press up on back foot stick or down on the front foot stick and then release the stick as you enter or exit the transition.

Gameplay improvements
Cab flip and other combined flip + body rotation tricks have been improved.

Beta Survey and Contact Developer buttons
We have included a survey that can be completed to give feedback on features currently in 'beta'. There is also a contact developer button which can be used to email with any other feedback or bug reports.

To open the beta, follow these steps:

Right click 'Skater XL' and open Properties

Select the 'beta - public beta builds' branch.

Steam should start downloading this version of the game. Once it has finished, you will be able to try the update. The game name in your library should now show "Skater XL [beta]".

There's a lot of information in there with images and whatnot, take a look. They even hired some of the modders, including the one that made the replay editor mod.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
someone created a website that hosts a bunch of mods so it's a lot easier instead of just hunting through discords all of the time:

skaterxl.mod.io

Skater XL Mods - mod.io

Discover amazing community created maps, gameplay script mods, custom clothing and gear, and more!

i followed Milky's guide to setup mods, but it's really easy and makes the game so much better (especially if you were like me and have just been skating the courthouse for the last six months)