• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

I know this was a point of contention for the community as skilled players lacked a challenge and new players couldn't even finish races, so hopefully it'll be properly implemented soon!

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the somewhat off-topic question. I'm thinking of finally starting the game tonight, on Switch. Is it too late to get any of the Spyro content, or is some of it still obtainable? I'd be content with just the track and Spyro himself.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I hope they add crossplay soon as well, or connectivity may suffer.

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic question. I'm thinking of finally starting the game tonight, on Switch. Is it too late to get any of the Spyro content, or is some of it still obtainable? I'd be content with just the track and Spyro himself.

The tracks are permanent, but you missed Spyro. GP1 content is currently returning, and he was GP3, so will probably return in December.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Sadly you'll have to wait till December most likely. The track is a permanent addition though, you'll be able to race on it.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Track is in the game with no requirements beyond downloading all the updates.

You can't get the other Spyro content right now, but it will be added to the in-game shop in a couple months.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Actual megaton, shocked that they never had this from the word go considering the high skill ceiling for a kart racer

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shock this took so long to implement, but good on Beenox for listening! This is one of the few remaining blemishes on an otherwise legendary Kart Racing remake.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I still wish they'd fix the AI for the single player portion of the game. Easy mode is ridiculously easy, and normal is ball busting hard. There is no middle ground. It's a damn shame as everything else is about the game is quite good (besides the framerate on the PS4 Pro and X not being 60 which is also still ridiculous).

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I hope it's not too much to ask but it would be rad as hell if cups made it into matchmaking but this is a nice add-on.

Also on the technical side, an option for no motion blur would be neat.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Man, they keep updating and supporting this game and, going by the GPs still left, it seems they don't plan to stop any time soon. Best Kart racer ever keeps delivering. Maybe now I'll be able to win some matches lol.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still wish they'd fix the AI for the single player portion of the game. Easy mode is ridiculously easy, and normal is ball busting hard. There is no middle ground. It's a damn shame as everything else is about the game is quite good (besides the framerate on the PS4 Pro and X not being 60 which is also still ridiculous).
You need to get good at drift boosting to beat the normal AI. Here's a good guide.

Make sure you're filling the meter up as high as possible before boosting, as a single "perfect" drift boost builds and maintains speed much longer than even three short ones.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
You need to get good at drift boosting to beat the normal AI. Here's a good guide.

Make sure you're filling the meter up as high as possible before boosting, as a single "perfect" drift boost builds and maintains speed much longer than even three short ones.

I know how to play this game. No, I'm not great, but I'm very competent, and on the "normal" difficulty level this game expects you be great at it.

And like I said, the jump between easy and normal is ridiculous. I can crush easy mode, and then I'm having to be almost perfect to win on normal.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Finally.

Online play has been a complete mess of a mode since launch.

Now they just need to fix the Grand Prix issues because it's just not fun anymore.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

I've won twice I believe. One was luck, the other was one where I had a nearly perfect Electron Avenue run that I'll never be able to replicate again.

90% of online matches since launch have been dominated by one or two players who are so obscenely ahead of the other players, that it almost doesn't feel worth finishing.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
This game keeps getting better and better! I hope crossplay and better online lobbies (password/private lobbies, cups online, etc) are next!

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Good skill based matchmaking is absolutely vital for any mp game imo. Without it they are 0 fun for me.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Compared to Mario Kart 8, which I can easily win 150cc races, CTR on normal is extremely hard.
This is your problem, you are comparing it to MK8, they both kart games but CTR play very differently.
The key for CTR is boost drift and U Turn, master those 2 and you can wipe the floor for all AI in the game.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
This is your problem, you are comparing it to MK8, they both kart games but CTR play very differently.
The key for CTR is boost drift and U Turn, master those 2 and you can wipe the floor for all AI in the game.
CTR is more technical. You have to learn the mechanics for success. And of course it pays to learn the shortcuts on every track.

If you have any gameplay footage, maybe we could offer some pointers.
Rather than focus on me and how I'm playing, please note that I've pointed out that the easy difficulty is very easy, but the leap to normal is huge. That is the problem here, not me. They simply didn't tune the difficulty in a way that allows the average player to have a good time. It's either too easy or it's very hard (for the average player like me), and that's unfortunate.

I say this as someone who's played many racing games over the years, and this is one of the few I've had this problem with.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Rather than focus on me and how I'm playing, please note that I've pointed out that the easy difficulty is very easy, but the leap to normal is huge. That is the problem here, not me. They simply didn't tune the difficulty in a way that allows the average player to have a good time. It's either too easy or it's very hard (for the average player like me), and that's unfortunate.

I say this as someone who's played many racing games over the years, and this is one of the few I've had this problem with.

I see easy as being the difficulty for kids/people who don't want to engage with drifting or any of the more advanced mechanics.

Normal is the CTR average. It demands on some level that you learn and get better at the game if you want to win. This is possibly the most mechanically complex kart racer there is, and getting better at it is supremely satisfying. To that end, I think it makes sense for the game to not settle for complacency. Hell, when I first started the game, I was an OG CTR veteran and thought I could tackle Hard. After 10 failures on Crash Cove, I declared it unfair, completely luck-based, and too big of a jump from Normal.

Later, after completing Adventure on Normal 101%, getting all of the platinum relics, and clearing out some of the time trial ghosts, and generally learning/figuring out little tricks I could do with the mechanics or how to optimize my time on tracks, I came back to Hard and found it pretty readily surmountable. Crash Cove was also a surprisingly extra high barrier of entry, matched by few other races in the mode. It wasn't always a win on the first try, or second, but I learned to find my faults, iron them out, and try try again.

I've been playing the game for four months now, and I'm still finding ways to improve and, moreover, finding myself improving in those ways.

RGamer2009

Oct 28, 2017
They keep fixing every issue I am having with the game so I cannot be mad. Next fix online hosting so that we don't get booted every other match!