• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't that interested in the game before, but as I watched the video I remembered that the most interesting parts of RPGs to me are the big fights, the 10 minute on the edge of my seat dragon fights, the low man FFXI fights that take up to 30 minutes. I even save before bosses to play them again in Dragon Age and FFXII. I'm getting this on PC for sure this Fall or whatever. Soloing it all the way.

Was about to post this, he says it's one of the best games ever made,
And that it's been in the making for 14 years since they continue to refine their work using the same awesome weapons, and this is another good thing for me. I really like trying different builds, and the way he make it sound is that each weapon could have it's own game based around it.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's a guy I take very seriously, even when I don't agree. Interest in MHW now officially piqued.

Oct 28, 2017
He prioritizes depth over accessibility so this game is perfect for him. Can't wait for this to hit PC, I refuse to double dip.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I'm so glad this game is amazing. My first forway into MonHun was 4U, and I loved the hell out of it. (100hrs week one) 9 months can't come soon enough

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
I do hope he is right about hunting genre expanding. I want my soul Sacrifice built for ps4.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And that it's been in the making for 14 years since they continue to refine their work using the same awesome weapons, and this is another good thing for me. I really like trying different builds, and the way he make it sound is that each weapon could have it's own game based around it.
Yes, each weapon has unique movesets, skills and role, your play style can change greatly based on what you pick.
Woah. I personally wouldn't go that far. It's a fantastic game and maybe one of the better ones this generation but that's about where I'd stop.
There is no wrong opinion I guess, he thinks the game will have a lasting effect on the industry, compares it to Mario and Skyrim, you should watch the video if you don't mind spoiled for the monsters, his reviews are always great.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Good thing it's his quote and not yours.

I'm unsure what that has to do with anything. Im not saying his opinion is incorrect, im saying i disagree with it.

There is no wrong opinion I guess, he thinks the game will have a lasting effect on the industry, compares it to Mario and Skyrim, you should watch the video if you don't mind spoiled for the monsters, his reviews are always great.

Yeah, some of his stuff is really great (i think some of the stuff he does with his brother is not nearly as good though) but i think those comparisons are lofty. Like you said, no opinion is wrong. I dont think MH:W will be anywhere close to as impactful as a Mario or Skyrim, but opinions.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I watched the whole video now and I kind of agree.
He also clearly states the caveats to his opinion (no story to speak of etc).

But the core game play just clicks with me for some reason and I can see myself playing this over a long period of time. This is my first MH too.
Like he says, the game or the structure of the game has effectively been in development for 14 years as they don't try to reinvent the wheel with every release but rather improve on what is already there. And it shows in how the weapons work and their interaction with the enemy. It goes way beyond any other tps action game I've tried at least.

Also the way the monsters and you interact with the environment is just awesome :)
And.. Monsters!

I suspect this will spawn a bunch of copy cats in the west like other genre spawning games in the past.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
"Fun in games arises out of mastery. It arises out of comprehension. It is the act of solving puzzles that makes games fun. With games, learning is the drug"

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
This guy made me buy Nier Automata. I didn't like MHW Beta at all but I've a feeling that after this video I'll change my mind...

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
This was a really great one, I really like how he goes to the deeper levels too to explain all the things.

After finishing the story portion just yesterday I honestly think this might be the most enjoyable game I have ever played, no hyperbole. 4U is the next best thing but I honestly can't go back anymore (probably) after all these quality of life improvements and general immersion to the game. Of course not everything is perfect either but this is the closest point MH has been to the perfection so far. Now just push out that G-rank expansion later and this will get even better.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
This might be the first high profile loot base GaaS that just works right out the gate in this gen.

Both Destiny 1, Division and now Destiny 2 needed Long and major updates to fix fundamental flaws in the game. Anthem isn't inspiring confidence either

Nov 4, 2017
After finishing the review, I think it's pretty exaggerated and will lessen people's enjoyment of the game. He straight up spoils how many zones are in the game, some of the coolest monsters, and one of the major plot points in the minimal cutscenes and none of that adds to his review. The first 10 minutes of the video is him just literally complimenting himself and padding the review out before he even starts talking about the game.

I totally reject his lame excuses for not discussing a single flaw in the game, despite his review being 40 minutes long. What a joke. Maybe edit your shit down and fit in a full, comprehensive discussion of the game, including its flaws. To not even discuss the matchmaking in this is absurd, and its misleading to consumers who haven't played it yet and don't know what they're getting into.

He doesn't discuss anything informative honestly, except for exaggerated gushing about the insect glaive. He doesn't even list what the 14 weapons are. He doesn't tell the audience that the insect glaive and the charge blade are the two most complicated weapons and that some are much, much simpler. He simply pretends and actively misleads the audience into thinking all the weapons are like that.

It's a great, great game. But this review really rubbed me the wrong way, and it doesn't really inform people soberly, but instead just stokes up their hype meter into the stratosphere, so that any real assessment of the game will likely be a letdown, even if you love it.

And don't bother watching it if you're playing the game. It tells you nothing. Just spoils late game monsters for you.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I agree with his points. It's the best action 3d combat game ever made and it's not even hard to make that call. Every developer should be taking notes.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
just watched it. Pretty much agree with everything, even tho im not even in HR yet lol (I do have like 35 hours in the game tho). It's pretty fantastic and one of the few games that "broke" me as I call it, as not only do I not want to play anything else, the "broken" part is when I cant play it (for example, when Im at work), all I want to do is watch videos of it or something.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a very, very good game but I wouldn't go as far with the praise as the reviewer did. Things like the incredibly low monster health and poor end game hold it back from being one of the all time greats for me.

I'm glad so many people are loving the game.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dig Skill. A good guy with a good eye for issues both good and bad and doesn't get caught up in a lot of the other stuff.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Skill Up has some decent points like how monster visual design reflects their gameplay or how the environments look more natural than in other games, but so much of the review is just mindless gushing about the game. This absolutely did not need to be 48 minutes.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"One of the best games ever made". Wow. There's no doubt this great review will sell even more copies.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't watched the video, but the thumbnail is the truth. This is one of the best games, period.

At 48 minutes with potential for spoilers, this will be a video I watch in a few weeks when I just want to watch something related to the game during moments that I can't actually play.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Damn I watched this today and this dude really sold me on mhw. I'll be watching for a sale later I the year.