• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jeans to work?!

• yea

Votes: 443 63.3%
  • nay

Votes: 257 36.7%

• Total voters

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
honestly, i've probably spent upwards of $500 since entering the workforce, just trying to find pants that fit. seriously. expensive pants, cheap pants, vintage pants... i'm at the point where i would literally just pay someone to measure me up and make me something that fits. i dunno if that kind of service exists though.
Didn't you try these pants on before buying them?
Also, yes, tailors have existed since at least the 90s. I'm sure there's a way to have pants custom made for you or have pants off the rack tailored to fit you better.

Also, they make stretch chinos, at least for men. I'm wearing a pair from Bonobos now.

OP
OP
fleet

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
I'm fashion blind.
Read the OP and literally have no idea what half of those meant, I need illustrations and instructions chart for this.

ZlL8jTd.png

i drew what wearing pants feels like for me. left: pants that fit my thighs but not my waist. right: pants that fit around my waist, kinda, but squeeze the shit out of my hips/thighs. my waist size is ~70cm, my hip size is ~110cm. does that make sense lol
original art do not steal (c)

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It all depends on your company's culture. Everyone here wears a jeans, from slim fit to skinny ones. Some wear a t-shirt, some others wear a polo, while some others wear their shirt tucked in.

Is it for your first day in the office, OP? You can ask the HR or whoever who employed you.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
ZlL8jTd.png

i drew what wearing pants feels like for me. left: pants that fit my thighs but not my waist. right: pants that fit around my waist, kinda, but squeeze the shit out of my hips/thighs. my waist size is ~70cm, my hip size is ~110cm. does that make sense lol
stolen.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
ZlL8jTd.png

Most informative thank you.
I really am a fashion pleb, first thing that comes to mind hearing about pants that don't fit you in the waist is "Isn't that what belts are for?". I'm firmly in the loose clothing for everything camp lol

MajorTom

Nov 5, 2017
England
I wear grey skinny jeans almost everyday. Our dress code is "Smart casual". Usually pair them with a band t-shirt or a really casual button down shirt. No one seems to care.
The older men and women in the office wear very smart attire everyday, but that seems to be because they want to.

There's a lot of younger women (early to mid 20's) who wear all sorts of crazy clothes every single day and no one ever says anything.

Obviously this will vary depending on the company.

I'd say wear the skinny jeans :) but maybe avoid any with ripped knees.

Nell

Oct 27, 2017
My work is also bus casual so I have a couple pairs of skinny dress pants. They're stretchy so I don't need a belt. I hate belts. Similar comfort to wearing jeans, which I wear on Fridays.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Black skinny jeans should be fine, though you may be able to swing denim depending on what you're coordinating with it. Bottom line is, yes, go for it if you feel comfortable and the outfit looks professional.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
There's a bunch of people were I work who wear dark Skinny jeans and honestly it was hard to tell they were even wearing them at first.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Business casual = chinos, loafers.

Would you be allowed into a nightclub with what you're wearing? No? Then don't turn up to work in that same gear.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Jeans are very in for the last few years in terms of smart/business casual outfits. You can easily make jeans work if paired with the right shoes and top. If your employer isn't stuffy and stuck in the last century, I see no reason why an outfit like the one in the spoiler would be inappropriate for work.

3fb4c2e84b6820def46f6573fe49c134.jpg

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Is this one of those threads where people secretly think that bootcut looks good? :lol

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can recommend Joggers (?) it's a combination of sweatpants and jeans. Nowadays they look exactly like Jeans, but feel like sweatpants. Uniqlo has many of them.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018

Would you be allowed into a nightclub with what you're wearing? No? Then don't turn up to work in that same gear.

What kinda bougie nightclubs are you going to! I've seen girls and guys wear joggers to nightclubs. Hundreds and hundreds of classic vans sneakers too.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017

what nightclubs are you going to that wouldn't let women wearing shapely jeans and a nice top into a nightclub? Vegas local, been to most nightclubs here and there's always a ton of women in jeans at them.

You don't need to be in an evening gown to look nice at a club. The fashion/nightclub scene has way changed in the last 20 years.

OP
OP
fleet

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
maybe it would help if people kinda visualised what outfits i'd be wearing with jeans? think:

40-Classy-Work-Outfits-for-Women-This-Fall.jpg

except instead of a tiny skinny little thing i'm a bigger girl. same style/colour of jeans, though

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Stretch fit high waisted trousers would be my best suggestion to search for, my girlfriend has quite a similar build and has the same problems. She always buys everything high waisted but I dunno if she has any formal trousers. Maybe try chinos too, you can get them in similar materials to jeans they just have a more formal looking cut.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
maybe it would help if people kinda visualised what outfits i'd be wearing with jeans? think:

except instead of a tiny skinny little thing i'm a bigger girl. same style/colour of jeans, though
Yeah, that looks great. Extremely trendy. I think you'd be fine wearing an outfit like that to work.

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

Looks perfect. I work in assurance and this is something that I would definitely get away with. Also. I have almost the same measurements and the same pants challenge. I only wear skinny or boyfriend. Also black palazzo pants can work, but they are not always easy to get hold of.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Wear slacks your first day to see what everyone else is wearing. If it looks like skinny jeans are in then wear them. I know places that allow and don't allow skinny jeans, really depends on the work place.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
fleet omg I know *E X A C T L Y* what you mean, I have this exact same problem, massive hips especially at the top of the thighs I have about 3 pairs of trousers that I actually wanna wear ever and 0 of them are business attire. High five!

Luckily for me I work in a really casual dress code workplace so I'm sorry I can't advise with any authority on that. But they sound fine to me, I would say if you don't have to wear a tie then you probably should be fine wearing well fitting jeans? Especially if they are black or navy instead of classic blue. I imagine some places would actually prefer that you dress "well" rather than ill-fitting stuff that fits the dress code, but you could just have some backup cheap ugly slacks in case someone calls you out. And you can just be like, sorry I was using my best judgement.
In my experience people also generally don't know what to make of office dress codes for women, let alone curvy ones. In times where guys are expected to wear £50 dress shirts and pants and blazers, women can be wearing some like £2 turtleneck or boatneck they got at the grocery store and a charm bracelet and people will be like, that looks smart. When people think of "casual" they are almost always picturing like a dude in a military green t-shirt with holes in and some baggy cargo shorts and sandals or something. And they don't expect women to dress like men, but they cant expect us to wear star trek micro skirts cause that's discrimination (and bro... no seriously that is too much thigh from me) so we're there like ??? Plus omg, so many dress codes are starting to realise they don't allow for anything besides western white tradition so that's a whole thing.
I've also always been a massive tomboy so people seem to adjust their standards to me. I'll show up to a wedding in a sweater dress and some eyeliner and glittery sneakers and my friends will be like, "wow you look glam!" Like, not really but they appreciate the effort.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
OP what you want is Slim fit, not Skinny fit. Skinny fit is for people with no upper legs.

Source: I wear Slim fit for my big juicy thighs, but they still taper in at the calf/ankle.

Also I'd recommend chinos instead of jeans for business casual, they also have a bit more give in the upper leg area.

OP
OP
fleet

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
@fleet omg I know *E X A C T L Y* what you mean, I have this exact same problem, massive hips especially at the top of the thighs I have about 3 pairs of trousers that I actually wanna wear ever and 0 of them are business attire. High five!

how frustrating is it?! i cannot believe that this is a genuine issue in my life, but it literally is.

Also I'd recommend chinos instead of jeans for business casual.

a few people have recommended chinos so far. i've tried lots of different pairs of chinos on, no bueno. the material is usually too thick and canvassy; they are WAY too tight around my thighs, if i can even pull them over my thighs at all. they also sit really low on my hips/stomach, so i can hardly sit down without them falling down, even with a belt. the only kind of pants i can wear, at a minimum, need to have a stretchy material throughout. hence why skinny jeans work for me: they stretch around my curves while being more snug on my smaller waist, while being thick enough to make sure i don't look like i'm spilling out of some leggings

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Wearing jean shorts at work right now, 40y old male, always wear what's comfortable.

I'm in the creative field, so casual is the norm.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, black skinny jeans are 100% acceptable. There's basically no way to tell the difference between a pair of black skinny jeans and a pair of like actual black dress pants some times (I have pairs of both), unless it's black denim, but that's obviously different.

Also, I have never tried them, but I hear people who have the same problem talk about Fashion Nova jeans, since they're sort of designed for that "instagram" aesthetic. Maybe you could order a pair from there to see if they fit? They all seem to be designed for the small waist/big hips body type. I think they also have black and white styles that would work well in a work setting.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The definition of business casual generally excludes jeans but you can get away with it depending on the culture. They may also specifically explain their policy in a handbook.
No it doesn't, business casual is intentionally ambiguous and vague so that it's different everywhere. Jeans are fine as long as their fine, and if they're black, they're probably fine.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever the most casual/comfortable clothes you can get away with are. I wear black jeans pretty often at work (not skinny though, not my thing).

But where I work I seriously could show up full tracksuit and nobody would care unless it was a day where there are presentations to be made.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
OP I also am a woman who works in education. Based on the pic, you're probably fine, as long as you go dressier up top. But I would maybe wait a week or so to observe what others in the office wear just to be 100% sure.

That said, you should really look into using a tailor. Buy pants that fit the widest part of you and have a tailor adjust them so they fit properly elsewhere. It will cost you, but it may be worth it to have pants that fit.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
They are literally not business casual, as "business casual" is a specific fashion and not just a generic term to refer to wearing casual clothes in a business setting.

But honestly, I think strict dress codes are archaic dinosaur shit anyway. You could even argue that requiring all employees to buy a $500 outfit before they even start working is some grade-A classist bullshit. Unless you work in service/retail and are required to wear a company uniform, it shouldn't really matter what you're wearing as long as it's clean and tasteful. If you want to wear skinny jeans at work, then that should be your right, whether you work at a car dealership or a Fortune 500 company.

BadAlchemy

May 2, 2019
I'm going to echo people saying it depends on the workplace. "Business casual" means different things to different employers. Based on that picture I think you should be totally fine, but my first day at a place I tend to go dressier than usual until I can get an idea on how people there dress in practice.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even know jeans of any kind could be considered business casual. I thought you went from proper slacks to chinos. If jeans count I don't see why skinny jeans wouldn't.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can pull off regular jeans and a button up. I never seen skinny jeans in the workplace and would fire any worker in them.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My girl has the same figure. Drives her nuts trying to go clothes shopping. I'm surprised there isn't more brands that handle the narrow waist/wide hips/thick thighs group. The term "pear shape" didn't just magically pop up overnight, lol

It will be your blouse / shoes that will determine how appropriate your outfit is. You can wear one of those thin shawl sweaters that go past your waist, and drape around hips, so it kind of hides your curves a bit. Meanwhile, a black or grey pump screams "office."

Girls have WAY more options for business casual, so you should be good. Like I said, the blouse and shoes are what will make the outfit. Go girl, go!

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tuckings in a button up/down into jeans is an automatic L unless you live on a ranch.

Edit: on dudes I meant.