• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 28962

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The real fun begins when you are playing a wired person and still have 19f of lag
Having a good QoS feature in your router so that you can still play comfortably while ppl in your house are watching Netflix and torrenting is a privilege. Unfortunately the QoS implementation on my Nighthawk router sucks, I am shame. :(

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is much better, this way they can also play with those on wired connection who don't mind playing with wifi, most players would probably only avoid wifi if the ping is also high.
Yup 100% a majority of people who are on wired that play casually dont even know about this really.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Think about what you are saying. Noone in the real world thinks about turning off their wifi on their laptop or phone. This is one of those cases the dev team needed to match general behavior patterns.

People that care enough about this are hardcore FGC players and not "general behavior patterns" like the dude that exclusively plays CoD off his neighbor's wifi.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It affects them to the extend that this will immediately ensures they get far less matches than usual, since they're being tagged as less desired players than others.
Good, that means it's working
It's still a display of privileges. Quite literally.
rKNjxTI.png

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Putting a visual indicator on WiFi players isn't the best way of doing it.

If the game can distinguish between wired and wireless just have a toggle in options with a message clarifying what it does, for example;

Disable Matching with WiFi Players - Doing so will ensure a smoother play experience but may make matchmaking longer

Or something like that. Putting a visual indicator on certain players but not actually doing anything solves absolutely nothing. I don't see the point 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jun 23, 2019
The irony is that games like MK do this as well, but they don't give you the option to filter matchmaking to only do wired connections.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Putting a visual indicator on WiFi players isn't the best way of doing it.

If the game can distinguish between wired and wireless just have a toggle in options with a message clarifying what it does, for example;

Disable Matching with WiFi Players - Doing so will ensure a smoother play experience but may make matchmaking longer

Or something like that. Putting a visual indicator on certain players but not actually doing anything solves absolutely nothing. I don't see the point 🤷🏻‍♂️

Agreed. This way of doing it just makes no sense.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
speaking as a Wi-Fi player, Wi-Fi players shouldn't be allowed to play ranked matches in fighting games

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
This is a great addition. Wish other fighting games would follow suite because most others have worse netplay (like SFV, etc).

OP
OP
Kaguya

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I want the whole rundown; resolution my competition is playing at, their display's size, the chair they're sitting in as well as how many energy drinks they've consumed within the last hour.
Does any of those things actually affect how the game run on your end like wifi does or is this just wifi player salt?

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
I applaud the idea but the implementation seems to leave something to be desired. My desktop is on the top floor of the house connected by Ethernet to a mesh node. The mesh node that is actually connected to my modem is a floor below so my desktop is actually using WiFi but windows displays it as using Ethernet so I would slink by undected.

Jun 23, 2019
It's the same here, you have to do it manually, which is better to not screw with match making algorithm.

Eh. In MK11, the game will still match you up with a WiFi player if their transfer speed doesn't go over a certain threshold, but I've played 100s of matches where a WiFi player will look green at the matchup screen and then shit the bed as soon as the match starts which complete negates the point of identifying WiFi players to begin with. It's even worse with Japanese games like Soul Calibur and Tekken where it doesn't even tell you what kind of connection is being used.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
As always, discussions like this bring out the assholes.

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
It is one thing to discuss the merits of playing games on a wired connection. It is another very different thing to be elitist about the issue.
Harassing a person because they play on wi-fi should really be a bannable offense on this forum.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The privilege on display in this thread. Some people can't afford wired internet.

Besides with the slow adoption of WiFi 6 and increased bandwidth upwards to 1.2Gbps with the right setup using an AX router, this is faster than even most wired connections. When I had a wired Fios setup, I never exceed 750Mbps for example, so just to put things into perspective.

Blame telecommunication companies for the lack of faster adoption. It's bad enough you have some folks that aren't technically savvy and label all wireless connections as the same.

Hell I take a half decent AC wifi setup (300 to 600Mbps) over a Wired Satellite ISP (12 to 100Mbs) setup. It just goes to show folks generalize on all WiFi users when the service itself is entirely beholden to your ISP provider. Case in point my average speeds are 300Mbps down and 250Mbs up.

FHRrs3A.jpg

A 4K video stream requires a minimum of 25Mbps, I'm 10 times that, Online Gaming with minimal latency on timing crucial games, especially Fighting Games require 100Mbps minimum on top of good rollback netcode.

Not everyone's circumstances to same, nor are all wireless network connections.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Besides with the slow adoption of WiFi 6 and increased bandwidth upwards to 1.2Gbps with the right setup using an AX router, this is faster than even most wired connections. When I had a wired Fios setup, I never exceed 750Mbps for example, so just to put things into perspective.

Blame telecommunication companies for the lack of faster adoption. It's bad enough you have some folks that aren't technically savvy and label all wireless connections as the same.

Hell I take a half decent AC wifi setup (300 to 600Mbps) over a Wired Satellite ISP (12 to 100Mbs) setup. It just goes to show folks generalize on all WiFi users when the service itself is entirely beholden to your ISP provider. Case in point my average speeds are 300Mbps down and 250Mbs up.

FHRrs3A.jpg

A 4K video stream requires a minimum of 25Mbps, I'm 10 times that, Online Gaming with minimal latency on timing crucial games, especially Fighting Games require 100Mbps minimum on top of good rollback netcode.

Not everyone's circumstances to same, nor are all wireless network connections.
The limiting factor for fighting games isn't download or upload speed, it's packet loss. Having the fastest wi-fi in the world won't help you when you're still dropping more packets than a middle-of-the-road wired connections. That's why good fighting games show ping AND wired/wifi status.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
speaking as a Wi-Fi player, Wi-Fi players shouldn't be allowed to play ranked matches in fighting games

I wouldn't go that far. Having the option to see and decline WiFi users is reasonable, though.

But yeah, if I was on WiFi, I'd have no problem with people being able to decline matches with me. There's nothing wrong with wanting to avoid a bad-playing experience online.

There will still be a majority of WiFi players in the pool.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
It's something all fighting games should address, though labeling players like this can lead to hurt feelings and backlash. Maybe it would be better to have a simple toggle for wired players to opt out of being matched with wireless players.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Always use wired connections but I couldnt find an adapter locally for the switch so now I'm too scared to even try Smash Bros. Is it really that much of a dealbreaker even with my console being next to the router?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
It's something all fighting games should address, though labeling players like this can lead to hurt feelings and backlash. Maybe it would be better to have a simple toggle for wired players to opt out of being matched with wireless players.

Honestly, I think the idea of hurt feelings over this is silly and games shouldn't have to pander to that.

It's a tech issue, and a game quality issue. People getting personally offended just need to deal with it. If you have a bad ping in other games, people may choose not to play in poor conditions, it's not a personal condemnation.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
If they can already identify wifi users why not implement a toggle to not matchmake with them? Naming and shaming just seems unnecessary.