• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
Yes you are suppose to take your time, explore and interact with others.
Thanks for telling me how to play. Also: IT IS SO SLOW.

Also, I'm genuinely not convinced by the controls. There's nothing smooth to them really. As a massive fan of the quality of the feel of the preview TGC games, this isn't working for me, to be honest.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
this is USD

e7dbca87-34dc-42f2-azljfy.jpeg
It's going to be interesting to see how they handle the console/PC versions. Presumably, all of this will be included in the base game, for a normal up-front price?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be interesting to see how they handle the console/PC versions. Presumably, all of this will be included in the base game, for a normal up-front price?
if it was content dlc, i would think so. but these seem like MTX-type in-app purchases so i don't know. i'll try the game later to see what the IAP is for.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
As with journey I love the visuals but still have no idea about how the game itself plays .

Not interested in playing on mobile so will wait for the console versions

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
Literally could not have come out at a better time, assuming it allows offline play. Long flight tomorrow.

Does this game allow offline play?

Edit: It does not. Weak.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As with journey I love the visuals but still have no idea about how the game itself plays .

Not interested in playing on mobile so will wait for the console versions

Think of journey but with areas that are more open so require more exploration and a few puzzles that require people to collaborate, then with free to play systems thrown on top.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Nice, thanks for this, downloading now, its its fun enough I'll pick it up on the ps4 in the future.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Crazy to me that they went iOS. I know there's a bigger potential audience but I just don't think they'll get the awareness that they would on console. A new game from the makers of Journey would be pretty huge on console.

Funny because I remember after Journey came out they said that they were determined not to have as long a development period between their next game as they did with Flower and Journey, which was 3 years!

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
This. It's honestly a little sad. There was huge buzz surrounding these guys after Journey came out, but that buzz just seems to have dissipated over the years.

Well it was 7 years after their latest release. They must have scrapped some projects during this time right? Because I have a hard time seeing this taking 7 years from concept to product. Especially when their latest game, an all time classic only took 3 years.

I cant wait to try this one out though, but I will wait for a console release myself.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Wow, finally the new game from TGC comes out...with a stealth release...on a Wednesday night?

What?

App Store weekly featuring ticks over on a Thursday US time. So this is the right time for it to become available globally, as this is the timing that Apple wants you to release on generally.

It will get App Store featuring, Apple social media push, plus TGCs own PR and marketing efforts "tomorrow".

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't try it yet, but wtf are these IAPs? The list I see in the Appstore are a big NO from me
Releasing a paid upfront game is death on the appstore. Free with IAP is the only way to release a game or any kind of app on mobile frankly. We'll just need to see how fair the implementation is.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Releasing a paid upfront game is death on the appstore. Free with IAP is the only way to release a game or any kind of app on mobile frankly. We'll just need to see how fair the implementation is.
I agree for ad removal, permanent booster, content. But, I don't support games with bundles of some in game currency for 50€. This always impacts the game design in some way, otherwise no one buys it. Apple Arcade for the rescue, this game won't be one of them obviously :/

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Well it was 7 years after their latest release. They must have scrapped some projects during this time right? Because I have a hard time seeing this taking 7 years from concept to product. Especially when their latest game, an all time classic only took 3 years.

I cant wait to try this one out though, but I will wait for a console release myself.

Honestly don't think they have. They first teased Sky back in 2016 but I also remember them getting investment for their next game after Journey what was I'm sure quite a while before that.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly don't think they have. They first teased Sky back in 2016 but I also remember them getting investment for their next game after Journey what was I'm sure quite a while before that.

Well if they did tease Sky back in 2016... there's still 4 years between Journey and the tease.. but yeah. It's a small company.. maybe it doest take time.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
How does it control? The idea of playing a game like this on touch screen has always disgusted me to be honest. I have an ipad or iphone x so am tempted.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody try playing with friends yet? Is chatting just literally text? Kinda wanna do a group call and actually talk to my buddies. Haha.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: drive-by posting
I adore thatgamecompany but have zero interest in this mobile game.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
They don't even explain what the season purchase even does. It's a hat or something? I don't get it.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
I can't connect with my friends... only see random folks in the lobby. Anyone else with this problem?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
This game deserves so much more attention than it's getting :(

Edit: What's the oldest hardware this will run on for iPhones?

Last edited:

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yeah..... I love TGC, but I just don't play mobile games. I've tried in the past, but it's just not my thing. Hopefully it will come to consoles at some point, because it does look beautiful. Look forward to seeing more screenshots.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I was so psyched for this game when it was presented at the Apple conference in 2017, but now I don't have time to play another GaaS game :(

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Downloading it right now. Even though I don't like Journey nearly as much as most, it's still a really enjoyable experience. This looks promising like that too.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Boy, this thread sure could do with less people coming in here saying they won't play it cuz it's a mobile game. We've known for like 3 years this is iOS, and we also know it's coming to consoles. So feel free to pass the thread by folks.

Anybody had a chance to dig into the IAPs to see what they actually are? Someone was saying they're just cosmetics... there's no content like levels/areas/moves in there?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't know, and the in game "shop" is no help either. I guess we will know soon enough when people played it more.

If it's "only" cosmetics I don't understand the different types of IAP at all though.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Played a solid two hours! Still trying to figure out how to get hearts from giving candles - those are some of the best acquired items in the game, only received from sharing candles. Micro transactions can encourage you to share but there's so much more to leveling up relationships. It's so peaceful to search for hidden expressions and lost shadows - and the drifting is as beautiful as ever. It feels like a Journey MMO - leveling your cape, sitting on benches to leave notes and chat, opening doors only with others - there's a level of cooperation needed that's so wonderful.

I love it so far!
Haha this sounds horrid and WTF at all the pricing for passes and whatever else.. urgh. Nope, sorry. Game sounds like it's a chore and will push you to spend money if you're remotely into it, and also it sounds like an ongoing experience rather than the one and done nature of Journey which made it so special.

Sorry but just not feeling this at all.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Haha this sounds horrid and WTF at all the pricing for passes and whatever else.. urgh. Nope, sorry. Game sounds like it's a chore and will push you to spend money if you're remotely into it, and also it sounds like an ongoing experience rather than the one and done nature of Journey which made it so special.

Sorry but just not feeling this at all.
That was my take from the short time with it. You can buy candles from the store and can use them to "level" your character and things, right? That's not about cosmetics then, but a grind with a shortcut in form of 50€ IAPs.

Last edited:

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... the IAPs look kind of worrisome tbh (prices are CDN)

20190718-150823097-i-OS.png

Those candles are described as "the basic currency" of the game in the description. Also, the fact that the economy is so confusing and inscrutable to start with is pretty concerning to me.

I was pretty excited for this but I might wait to see what model they use for consoles, I'm not into games as a service and microtransaction based systems. I just wanted to pay for this up front.

OT suggestion:

Sky: Children of the Lights |OT| Journey as a Service

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Played for a bit last night; got to what I guess is the main hub.

super neat. looks great.

but man I wish I could play this w/ a controller. Its Journey with flying. That is my shit but these touch controls aint it chief.