• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Sky News is launching a new pop-up channel dedicated to Brexit-free news.

Sky News Brexit-Free will go on air today on Sky channel 523, and it will be live from 5pm to 10pm Monday to Friday.

Sky News will continue to cover all angles of Brexit in detail on its main channel, as well as break big stories from the UK and around the world.

A study released this summer found that a third of people are avoiding the news entirely.

More than 70% of them blamed Brexit, saying they were too frustrated over the political debate surrounding it.

Almost 60% said the news was having a negative impact on their mood, and 40% felt they felt powerless to influence events.

John Ryley, the head of Sky News, said: "Sky News Brexit-Free is a bold approach but listening to public opinion over the past weeks and months, it's something we know our viewers will find valuable.

"Brexit is an historic story that has a major impact and we will continue to give it comprehensive coverage. The new channel simply gives people the option to take a break from Brexit, apply a filter to their headlines and hear about issues away from Westminster and Brussels with a focus on hard-hitting, original journalism."

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
That's actually quite a decent idea.

Brexit dominates the news cycle on any given day - would be nice to see a focus on other things during a bulletin.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Lots of things are intrinsically connected to brexit. Something like trading away rights in a trade deal etc.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They should have done this years ago, a Kay Burley-free station would have helped so many people

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Lol this is incredibly crass given Murdoch's influence on Brexit as a whole.

...Murdoch doesn't own Sky News any more?

Anyway, it's clearly a stunt and not a long term thing, like that time a few months ago when Sky announced it would be televising the news room and then fessed up two days later they meant for an hour a day for like three days, and then they'd stop.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
0cea5417-e0f8-405c-f3f1-08216346cbe7.png

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Will no doubt be watched by Brexit voters ignorant to the fact their vote will keep Brexit in the news, directly and indirectly, for at least the next 10 years.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
So those people ignoring Brexit think that it will go away if they studiously avoid any news relating to it?

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
There will be over a million people protesting Brexit in London on Saturday, great way to ignore all that

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like they thought this one through. If you want to not think about Brexit, clicking over to the channel called "Sky News Brexit-Free" will immediately remind you of Brexit again!

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine there are many people that actually watch the news but also don't want to know what is happening with Brexit

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine there are many people that actually watch the news but also don't want to know what is happening with Brexit

I spent a period of time between jobs and watched BBC/Sky during the day.

Trust me, sometimes it gets a bit much haha - mainly because you don't hear about anything else.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that Brexit will effect basically every part of the country, I can't think of a way to realistically separate it from major news events.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
...Murdoch doesn't own Sky News any more?

Anyway, it's clearly a stunt and not a long term thing, like that time a few months ago when Sky announced it would be televising the news room and then fessed up two days later they meant for an hour a day for like three days, and then they'd stop.
No but it was up until a year ago. I don't care who owns it now, Sky News has had a role to play in getting the UK into the shit it is now. The Star is doing the exact same thing with their "Brexit Free Front Page" ignoring the fact that their reporting has encouraged Brexit to happen.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure let's keep people even less informed on it. What could be a bad idea about that.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not replacing the other channels
Fair enough but I still dont see any benefit here. Just pretending the ramifications of it dont exist has been the whole strategy. A better idea would be a news channel that airs nothing but the consequences were looking down the barrel of as a constant reminder that blowing your toes off to spite your feet is a dumb idea.

And I get brexit dominates the news, because it should. It's by far the biggest issue in the UK right now.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Next up, Sky releases the Sky Happy News channel which will consist of nothing but cute videos of cats and dogs, clips of news anchors laughing because they made a mistake and the Gerrard slip that cost Liverpool the title.
Sky Happy News, the place where we pretend everything is alright.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Next up, Sky releases the Sky Happy News channel which will consist of nothing but cute videos of cats and dogs, clips of news anchors laughing because they made a mistake and the Gerrard slip that cost Liverpool the title.
Sky Happy News, the place where we pretend everything is alright.
That's probably very similar to how the front page of YouTube looks for a non-trivial percentage of the planet.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this is not a good idea. It dominates the news cycle because it's important, people shouldn't be facilitated in ignoring just because it may seem inconvenient or "exhausting," shit like this matters ESPECIALLY when people will eventually have to vote based on it. Reminds me of Trump coverage in the US. I'd maybe be okay with massaging out some of it in favor of a wider berth on social/political issues, but to cut it out entirely is to stick one's head in the sand to the detriment of all. People need to be informed, and besides it's the LACK of information that caused a lot of this shit in the first place.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a bad idea, people are already misinformed about the technical and legal details of brexit as it is, without now avoiding the subject entirely

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a bad idea, people are already misinformed about the technical and legal details of brexit as it is, without now avoiding the subject entirely
I agree with the general sentiment, but I don't think we can honestly say that Brexit being a dominant news topic has helped with this to any great extent. News channels, pretty much by design, won't ever have the time to delve into any one of the facets of Brexit, and Brexit itself is a near-infinitely-faceted topic. News channels might even be making people's understanding of Brexit worse by changing ignorance into oversimplified bullet-point-level "knowledge" (which may not even be correct or may only be correct in certain contexts).

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is not a good idea. It dominates the news cycle because it's important, people shouldn't be facilitated in ignoring just because it may seem inconvenient or "exhausting," shit like this matters ESPECIALLY when people will eventually have to vote based on it. Reminds me of Trump coverage in the US. I'd maybe be okay with massaging out some of it in favor of a wider berth on social/political issues, but to cut it out entirely is to stick one's head in the sand to the detriment of all. People need to be informed, and besides it's the LACK of information that caused a lot of this shit in the first place.

think the tone in here is a bit too serious tbh

It's a gimmick which is making light of how Brexit heavy the news cycle is. I found it quite funny.

It's not going to replace their current coverage. Anyone who wants to be educated on Brexit will continue to watch that, and anyone who doesn't will at least get to watch news on other topics.