• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

belsaas

Oct 29, 2017
Virginia, USA
Hard to imagine someone who is into games enough to purchase and enjoy this, but doesn't already own it. But I suppose I'm glad it's available more places now!

Oct 29, 2017
I can see this dropping down in price pretty quickly. At the least, I think it will be included in any sales early on. I have a hard time seeing this selling really well considering price, the re-releases, graphic fidelity and lack of mod support despite the added portability and new controls. Then again, who knows?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I can see this dropping down in price pretty quickly. At the least, I think it will be included in any sales early on. I have a hard time seeing this selling really well considering price, the re-releases, graphic fidelity and lack of mod support despite the added portability and new controls. Then again, who knows?
It's Skyrim. Portable Skyrim. This is the game that Bethesda has got away with rereleasing repeatedly for 6 years. It will definitely sell well. I can't say how well it will maintain its price, but it's hardly Rayman Legends.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People made these same arguments for the PS4 and Xbox One re-releases last year, the game went on to be one of the highest selling titles of last year anyway.
As for graphical fidelity, it's basically based off of the remaster itself, so I'm not sure that's lacking. The wider console audience for Skyrim doesn't care for mods. Portability is going be a major factor in making this sell, it's one of the most beloved games of all time, but now you can play it on the toilet.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I was tempted to try this back when it was announced but it looks pretty boring. Maybe I'll end up going for it but I might wait for a price drop.

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Already working on it
DNpc84cVoAARC8U.jpg

This will be my first Skyrim (or any TES) purchase on a console... it's gonna be weird after having played the series for probably over 2000 hours on PC won't it?
I am insanely jealous of you all who are downloading it.

I want physical. I live for physical. And I can't buy any games because Christmas. :(

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I am waiting for the physical release, but I am still not sure if I should get it on day one...the release is too close to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on December 1st ._.

Oct 29, 2017
It's Skyrim. Portable Skyrim. This is the game that Bethesda has got away with rereleasing repeatedly for 6 years. It will definitely sell well. I can't say how well it will maintain its price, but it's hardly Rayman Legends.

People made these same arguments for the PS4 and Xbox One re-releases last year, the game went on to be one of the highest selling titles of last year anyway.
As for graphical fidelity, it's basically based off of the remaster itself, so I'm not sure that's lacking. The wider console audience for Skyrim doesn't care for mods. Portability is going be a major factor in making this sell, it's one of the most beloved games of all time, but now you can play it on the toilet.

All great points and it may just sell great but I think there are only so many times someone will double dip (triple dip) especially at that price tag.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Despite owning 3 different versions of this and getting the SE free on Steam I still haven't got close completing the game. I'm hesitant to buy another copy, but the pick-up-and-play nature of the Switch may be enough to push me over the line this time.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Whaaat. No, Skyrim is not boring, it's incredible. If you liked BotW, chances are Skyrim will resonate with you on some level.
So people keep saying, and since I absolutely loved BotW it's the only thing making me consider a purchase. I'll probably end up trying it eventually, it's not a big investment or anything. I do wish they added a demo to the eshop.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Oh my god. The games just keep coming! Will pre-load as soon as I get home. Hopefully can also soon pre-load Doom, Rime, L.A Noire, Rocket League, etc. November 10-17th is going to be bonkers for Switch. I will have to completely put aside Odyssey and Splatoon 2 multiplayer for a week to tackle like 5 new games at once 0.o

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And there's the fact that you have so many different ways to play Skyrim.
Yeah, like, i definitely think they should at least give the game a try!

All great points and it may just sell great but I think there are only so many times someone will double dip (triple dip) especially at that price tag.
I think Bethesda knows enough people (like me) will, plus that there is a new audience of Nintendo only gamers. I think it will do fine :P

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So people keep saying, and since I absolutely loved BotW it's the only thing making me consider a purchase. I'll probably end up trying it eventually, it's not a big investment or anything. I do wish they added a demo to the eshop.
Skyrim is basically the prototype which started the modern open world game craze again in 2011 that developers are still chasing today. It's definitely janky and has issues, but the game is a classic case of the sum being greater than the parts.

EDIT: Sorry, DP

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
I've been able to love and enjoy it w/o mods for six years now. Mods inarguably make the game better, but the core game is fantastic, and there is no reason for you to pass up on it.

Cool thanks! I could get it on ps4 for a bit cheaper and with the mods but I dont think I would play it nearly as much as I would on switch. Plus the motion controls seem pretty neat.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skyrim is basically the prototype which started the modern open world game craze again in 2011 that developers are still chasing today. It's definitely janky and has issues, but the game is a classic case of the sum being greater than the parts.

I think that's more Oblivion. same with DLC. remember the Horse Armor Backlash?

I'm contemplating on going digital with this. hard to choose

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

I'm sure I'd enjoy the structure of the game just fine, I'm more concerned about how fun it is to play. I thought BotW had fun, inventive gameplay which is why I liked it (exploring was fun too). I'm not writing it off or anything, just a bit weary. With this November being pretty weak in my eyes, I just might get it just to have a game.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
As the 1 of 18 people who've never played Skyrim, I'm really excited for this. 14GB isn't bad either when I feared ~30GB.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's more Oblivion. same with DLC. remember the Horse Armor Backlash?

I'm contemplating on going digital with this. hard to choose
Oblivion was never as popular (it sold less than a third of what Skyrim did), never caused a glut of open world games in its wake (look at the abrupt shift from cinematic linear games to open world ones that happened after 2012), and hasn't been cited as inspiration unlike Skyrim (off the top of my head, Capcom, Ubisoft, EA, CD Projekt RED, Bioware, Square Enix, and even Nintendo have at one point or the other mentioned Skyrim as a source of inspiration)

I'm sure I'd enjoy the structure of the game just fine, I'm more concerned about how fun it is to play. I thought BotW had fun, inventive gameplay which is why I liked it (exploring was fun too). I'm not writing it off or anything, just a bit weary. With this November being pretty weak in my eyes, I just might get it just to have a game.
Yeah, the actual gameplay is pretty poor lol. Game feel is fine, but combat is trash unless you stick to archery. Role playing options are fun and accessible, and not the deepest, but deep enough.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm debating getting this or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 by the end of this year.

I played Skyrim originally on 360 back in the day and havent ever gone back since 2011 (never experienced the DLC either).
Still I'm not really a fan of paying the full $60 for a game that old that I already played the majority of. Still, there doesn't seem to be any RPG like it on the switch currently.

I'm hype for XC2 just for a big world to explore, but the character design and some of the voice acting are giving me reservations.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Role playing options are fun and accessible, and not the deepest, but deep enough.

Are you really talking about skyrim here

Roleplaying is piss poor, your choices don't matter for anything - even the illusion of picking a side is shattered the moment you realize you can just do everything at the same time (except for a single moment in the main quest, and the main quest is horrid so most never touch it). they took any amount of roleplaying the Elder Scroll series had and butchered it

game is still fun and worth picking up, but not for the amazing rpg aspects, it ain't

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
Preordered from the SA eshop, 669 Rand = 36 £

Feels good man

For those getting it for the first time: prepare yourself for a LONG journey if you want to see/do everything

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you really talking about skyrim here

Roleplaying is piss poor, your choices don't matter for anything - even the illusion of picking a side is shattered the moment you realize you can just do everything at the same time (except for a single moment in the main quest, and the main quest is horrid so most never touch it). they took any amount of roleplaying the Elder Scroll series had and butchered it

game is still fun and worth picking up, but not for the amazing rpg aspects, it ain't
Sorry, I am speaking about the options for build variety and the like.
Like, this isn't Baldur's Gate or anything, but I feel like it walks a great line between nuance and accessibility, personally.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really curious to hear impressions on this, I was never a huge fan of skyrim but the idea of it on a portable console is awesome.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Oblivion was never as popular (it sold less than a third of what Skyrim did), never caused a glut of open world games in its wake (look at the abrupt shift from cinematic linear games to open world ones that happened after 2012), and hasn't been cited as inspiration unlike Skyrim (off the top of my head, Capcom, Ubisoft, EA, CD Projekt RED, Bioware, Square Enix, and even Nintendo have at one point or the other mentioned Skyrim as a source of inspiration)

Yeah, the actual gameplay is pretty poor lol. Game feel is fine, but combat is trash unless you stick to archery. Role playing options are fun and accessible, and not the deepest, but deep enough.
Thanks for the heads up. Combat being poor is usually something I can't handle, but there are always a few exceptions like Mass Effect were I was just really into the world of the game.

What are the best aspects of the game to you? What keeps you (and others) coming back a third and forth time?

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. Combat being poor is usually something I can't handle, but there are always a few exceptions like Mass Effect were I was just really into the world of the game.

What are the best aspects of the game to you? What keeps you (and others) coming back a third and forth time?
Exploration, atmosphere, game world and lore, and the total and complete freedom afforded to me to basically build my own adventure through the world. There's a sense of exploration and adventure to navigating the game's world and discovering places and threats, and the game itself is incredibly flexible and accommodating of multiple play styles. The corollary of that is that the game plays differently each time you start a new save on it, too. Add to that a great artstyle, a great soundtrack, and me just being a sucker for fantasy stories (and loving getting the chance to play through one, while making my own adventures), and I'm a sucker for it.

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm...good point! I guess a Canadian credit card wouldn't work. Is there a place where folks get eShop credit for other countries?

I would try your card first, both mine (UK, debit and credit) worked and I'll be damned if i know why, perhaps yours will too (maybe it's a Commonwealth thing)

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered it physically but amazon.co.uk seems to still not have a release date for it so if things don't move soon with that order I might cancel it and get it from eshop now that it has preload.