• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Gamespot: 8/10
"With the addition of instant portability on Switch, it's even harder to put this high quality port down."

IGN: 8/10
"This is a great way to get your Skyrim fix if you've never played before or have been looking for a reason to jump back in."

Nintendo Life: 9/10 - Excellent
"The Switch isn't short of games that have already taken a bow, or several, on other hardware, but Skyrim might be the one that most deserves another look from both hardy Elder Scrolls adventurers and absolute beginners alike."

USGamer:
"When I ask myself what I'm willing give up to play this on a portable, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim on Nintendo Switch allows me to answer "I don't have to give up much of anything." That's pretty solid in my book and I'd say if you're a fan of Skyrim, this version is probably worth your time."

Twinfinite: 4.5/5
"The fact that you can play Skyrim in handheld mode, in its entirety, and with very minor compromises like a slight hit to visuals and lack of mod support makes this one of the best AAA handheld ports I've ever played. If you're able to look past those issues, the Switch is the definitive way to experience Skyrim."

GameXplain: Liked-A-Lot
"Sure it's not all perfect, but whether you're trudging through the snow mountains or riding horseback across a vast field it's hard not to lose yourself in the vast world of Skyrim."

GamesRadar: 4.5/5
"Six years after its original release, I'm astonished that Skyrim can still surprise me. I didn't expect to feel so strongly about playing it again on another console, but the motion controls added thanks to the Switch completely changes how it feels to navigate its bustling cities, breath-taking landscapes, and unnerving dungeons. For anyone who can't get enough of Skyrim and thirsts for true immersion, playing it on Switch is the answer."

GameInformer: 9/10
"The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is one of the best games ever made. Years later, that continues to be the case. This adventure offers a rich world, densely packed with exciting things to do, as well as many occasions for creating lasting memories. I jotted down exciting things that happened during this particular playthrough so many times I lost count. I imagine that Skyrim will become a mainstay on my Switch, with multiple playthroughs and characters filling up the save slots before I'm done with it. If you haven't played Skyrim, or you're just looking to return and don't mind exchanging the mods for convenient portability, the Switch version offers up everything that makes this game a stone-cold classic."

Press Start: 9/10
"Skyrim is exactly the kind of game that demonstrates the power of the Switch and what it wants to be. It's a huge open-world, console-quality adventure you can with you anywhere. The port is fantastic, too, and the Switch-specific additions appreciated. Newcomer or not, Skyrim is a classic deserving of a revisit on Nintendo Switch."

Vooks: 4.5/5
"If you haven't played Skyrim yet, the Switch is the perfect place to start, with portability and exclusive features making this one of the best portable RPG experiences on the market."

God Is A Geek: 8.5/10
"Overall, I'm more than impressed with Iron Galaxy and Bethesda's work on Skyrim for Switch. While I don't expect mod support to ever show up outside of maybe how limited it is on PS4, it would be a nice addition for many people. If you've never played Skyrim before, now is a great time to get into it. Skyrim on Switch is the only version that you can take to Starbucks for an Americano to the knee and it is quite an accomplishment."

App Trigger: 8.5/10
"Skyrim on the Switch may not allow you to have dragons that look like wrestlers, but it remains an epic adventure well worth undertaking and many may prefer the ability to have it with them wherever they go."

Alphr: 4/5
"Regardless of what happens, Skyrim on Switch is yet another feat of brilliant game adaptation. It's also another reason to own a Switch and as just one look at the best Switch games of 2017 will tell you, if you haven't bought one already, you're fast running out of excuses."

WCCFTECH: 8.5/10
"The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim isn't something I thought I would play much on Switch, but in fact, I've hardly put it down. It runs well, looks good, and most importantly, fits the form factor perfectly. Unlike DOOM, this is a port with absolutely zero compromises and offers a full-fat Elder Scrolls experience."

Switch Player: 4.5/5
"Like a fine wine, Skyrim is a game that has improved with age. I had mixed feelings about the Nintendo Switch version prior to playing, knowing what issues I faced in the PS3 version and wondering how it would perform on the Nintendo Switch. However, I had nothing to worry about - the game is fantastic on the Nintendo Switch and is a fantastic way to experience Bethesda's open-world wonder. If you haven't played this before, you are in for a treat! If you have, you're in for a pleasant surprise and returning to this world is a welcome trip down memory lane!"

GameKult: 6/10
Translation Courtesy of Birdseye said:
"In the end, you get the mobile++ version of last year's Special Edition. It suits mobile gaming perfectly, knows how to surprise you, but is very hard to defend once in docked mode. You'll probably get mad at the price, the unchanged UI, the same old bugs and the lack of touch mechanics. ...Nevertheless, the game is now playable anywhere, by short bursts and with the gyroscope if you like bows, which makes it the funniest console version since the game first came out."

ACG: Buy
"It is fantastic and really made me enjoy Skyrim in a way I'm not 100% sure I have before."

Arlo: 7/7
"This is one of the most life-sucking games of all time and now I can play it anywhere I want!"

GamingBolt: 9/10
"The third rerelease of a six year old game has no right being this compelling, but thanks to smart usage of the Switch's features, and the very nature of Skyrim and the Switch being perfect fits for each other, Skyrim for the Nintendo Switch might just the one of the best ways to play Bethesda's enduring classic."

ComicBook: 4.5/5
"This is a highly-polished, portable Skyrim with Nintendo-Switch-exclusive mechanics that actually add to the experience. While it does retain some of the oddities and sporadic glitches that made the original versions feel so unpredictable, I've yet to experience anything problematic or game-breaking. This is worth every penny, and for the foreseeable future, it will be consuming the majority of my non-working hours."

Electric Playground (with HCG): 9/10 and 8/10
"Get it wherever you can get it, but if you have the Switch and you've never played it before, I do think it's worth the full price."

Hardcore Gamer: 4/5
To Bethesda's credit, this year's re-release on the Switch and PlayStation VR (check back soon for that review) are at least offering some new variation to the game, but outside of people who play games exclusively on Nintendo consoles, the only real selling point with this incarnation is the ability to play it on a portable system. It's a great game that holds up after six years, but it's about time that The Elder Scrolls VI is announced instead of yet another release of Skyrim.

Digital Foundry article :
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-skyrim-switch-vs-playstation-4
900p in docked mode (doesn't seem to be dynamic), and 720p in portable mode but might drop to 896x720 under load.
30fps with no apparent dips.
Some downgrades/effects removed compared to the PS4 version on the volumetric lighting, foliage, LOD, ambiant occlusion and minor cutbacks on textures resolution and shadow resolution.
Discussion thread here

Quick and dirty review thread since they were coming in. Will update the OP as we go

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Really liked this bit from WCCFTECH:
And there's even an exclusive feature in Skyrim for Nintendo Switch. Lockpicking now uses HD Rumble, letting you feel your way through the lock to find a stronger vibration before unlocking. Thanks to this, some patience will have you unlocking Master locks on your first try, and I feel like what was previously a frustrating game of trial and error has been turned into a slightly skillful minigame, and it's way more fun.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
GamesRadar 4.5/5

Six years after its original release, I'm astonished that Skyrim can still surprise me. I didn't expect to feel so strongly about playing it again on another console, but the motion controls added thanks to the Switch completely changes how it feels to navigate its bustling cities, breath-taking landscapes, and unnerving dungeons. For anyone who can't get enough of Skyrim and thirsts for true immersion, playing it on Switch is the answer.

gameinformer 9/10

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is one of the best games ever made. Years later, that continues to be the case. This adventure offers a rich world, densely packed with exciting things to do, as well as many occasions for creating lasting memories. I jotted down exciting things that happened during this particular playthrough so many times I lost count. I imagine that Skyrim will become a mainstay on my Switch, with multiple playthroughs and characters filling up the save slots before I'm done with it. If you haven't played Skyrim, or you're just looking to return and don't mind exchanging the mods for convenient portability, the Switch version offers up everything that makes this game a stone-cold classic.

R00bot

Nov 1, 2017
Can't wait to dive in an hour from now! I've started playing it many times, just never got very far. I feel like this mobile version is all I need to finally put some serious hours in.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will buy this today.

WHY?!?! Oh well.

(The handheld footage in the GameExplain and IGN review honestly convinced me. Kinda legit excited for it.)

Oct 25, 2017
I never loved Skyrim as much as others (always thought it had worst missions/writing then even Oblivion), but it being portable has me really excited to revisit it.

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
Preordered it just now, looking forward to playing the game for 4th or 5th time. Between this and Xenoblade, my Switch is gonna see a lot of use haha.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Note that apparently the recording function has been patched in day one for this game, making it the first third-party game in the west to allow you that.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/skyrim-switch-review/

8.5/10

Overall, I'm more than impressed with Iron Galaxy and Bethesda's work on Skyrim for Switch. While I don't expect mod support to ever show up outside of maybe how limited it is on PS4, it would be a nice addition for many people. If you've never played Skyrim before, now is a great time to get into it. Skyrim on Switch is the only version that you can take to Starbucks for an Americano to the knee and it is quite an accomplishment.

POSITIVES
Portable Skyrim
Runs well
Looks great on handheld

NEGATIVES
Some visual issues

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Sounds like the perfect game to return to - it's already basically winter in NYC and I'd love a big open world to play handheld with some movies on the TV.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't going to pick this up originally, having played Skyrim a lot on my ps3 but having a portable, and more importantly a better version of the game is tempting me...

How are the load times in this?

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to dive in an hour from now! I've started playing it many times, just never got very far. I feel like this mobile version is all I need to finally put some serious hours in.

Where do you live where it releases in an hour?

I wasn't going to pick this up originally, having played Skyrim a lot on my ps3 but having a portable, and more importantly a better version of the game is tempting me...

How are the load times in this?

One review which i read said there's an initial 20 sec or so load time upon boot then the load times are quick once you're actually in game

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-skyrim-switch-vs-playstation-4
900p in docked mode (doesn't seem to be dynamic), and 720p in portable mode but might drop to 896x720 under load.
Some downgrades/effects removed compared to the PS4 version on the volumetric lighting, foliage, LOD, ambiant occlusion and minor cutbacks on textures resolution and shadow resolution.

OP
OP
JonnyDBrit

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Updated the OP with more reviews

Wondering if I should add this as well. Not a regular review, but I know DF's technical studies are well valued and useful in purchase considerations.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
It really is a well done port but Skyrim is also really showing its age. It still has a lot of bugs, the animation is terrible and don't even get me started on the combat which is just plain bad. For new players: I recommend really focusing on archery, which also has its problems but it can also be pretty satisfying.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I like how this statement is a thing. Some downgrades? Minor cutbacks? Fucking awesome.

I'm not sure what my line is. Anything that doesn't reach 'major cutbacks' seems like a switch win.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you OP!

Gamesradar gushing about the motion controls magnificence is just what I wanted to hear.

See, you can control where your weapon (or lightning-filled hands) is pointing by charging up a spell or drawing an arrow. Squaring up an unaware Draugr from afar, there's this delicious moment of suspense as I get it in my crosshairs with one outstretched, wavering hand. That advice you hear about holding you breath when you're aiming? Turns out it's just as useful in Skyrim as it is in real life.

Even in broad daylight with bandits in pursuit, after some practise motion controls allow me to quickly whip around and fire off a spell or arrow with a precision that would be impossible via a controller.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, nice scores! Definitely excited to play the game tomorrow.

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, better than expected...Totally worth the money for me because I never completed the game on 360.