• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
01Header.jpg

02Stats.jpg

A true, full-length open-world game for VR has arrived!

From Bethesda Game Studios, Skyrim VR reimagines the complete epic fantasy masterpiece with an unparalleled sense of scale, depth, and immersion. From battling ancient dragons to exploring rugged mountains and more, Skyrim VR brings to life a complete open world for you to experience any way you choose. Skyrim VR includes the critically-acclaimed core game and official add-ons – Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn.

03Screenshots.jpg

Frequently Asked Questions

Is this the full game or its own experience?
Skyrim VR is the complete game. Every location. Every quest. Every item. Every character. All 200+ hours of content is here to explore in full VR including the add-ons: Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn.​

Is it enhanced for PS4 Pro?
Yes. The game is super-sampled at a higher resolution on PS4 Pro so the overall image is sharper.​

How is movement handled?
Skyrim VR supports both smooth or teleport movement using two PlayStation Move controllers and smooth movement only on the DualShock 4. It also supports both smooth or snap turning on either control method depending on your comfort level.

PlayStation Move Controls:
To move smoothly using the PS Move controllers, you simply point the left Move wand in the direction you want to go and press the Move button. Double tapping the Move button will make you run. Looking left or right while moving will also turn you slightly in that direction. To go backwards, you point the left Move controller behind you. You can also rotate your character's body left or right (with various options for speed and amount) using the X and O buttons on the right Move controller. To use the teleport move method, hold the left Move button and an arc will appear indicating where you will move to. Release the button to teleport there.

You can block with both swords and shields by holding them up and can bash using your shield. If your shield is transparent, you are not blocking. Additional features unique to the Move controllers include being able to target two enemies at once using both hands, realistic two-handed bow and arrow control, and underwater swimming using a breaststroke motion.

DualShock 4 Controls:
This works the same as the original game where you move using the left analog stick and turning your character using the right stick. You look around and aim using your VR headset.​

Is there a left handed mode?
Yes.​

Can you dragon shout using your voice?
Sadly, no.​

Why do my weapons keep disappearing during combat?!
It means you've been staggered and can't use them for a moment. Shaking your character would cause motion sickness so the game indicates you can't attack by showing the Move controllers.​

How is dialog selection and inventory/magic management handled?
You will be presented with the same interface as the original game however these menus will now appear as a transparent, floating window inside the VR game world. To navigate the menus using the PlayStation move controllers, you use the same method used when navigating the PS4 UI.​

Where are the quest compass, health, magicka, and stamina meters?
These appear just below you field of view. Simply look down to view them. If your health, magicka, or stamina drop to critical levels, these indicators will move upwards more into your field of view to warn you.​

How do the map and skill trees work?
Invoking the map puts the entire world below you ala Google Earth style, with you flying above it. You can move around using the same controls as in the main game and point at the place you would like to fast-travel to using the Move wand as a laser pointer. You can also place markers and open your journal.

The skills constellations appear as a 360 degree menu that fully surrounds you. You can rotate them to see the perks you wish to upgrade.​

Is this available on other VR platforms?
Skyrim VR is currently a timed PSVR exclusive however Bethesda has confirmed that they are looking to bring it out on other VR platforms next year.​

Does it support mods?
Mods are not currently supported however Bethesda's Assistant Community Director Matt Grandstaff said that if it's something they can figure out, they will let players know.​

Is there a third-person camera?
Skyrim VR is a first person only experience.​

Do save files transfer from PS4 Special Edition?
No, however Bethesda said it's something they've been considering.​

How do trophies work?
Skyrim VR has its own set of the same trophies as the original game. So, even if you platinumed the Special Edition, you can re-earn those trophies again in the VR version.​

04Screenshots.jpg

PlayStation VR Skyrim Bundle

Nov 19-Nov 27: $349.99 ($100 off!)
Regular Price: $449.99

06Bundle.jpg

Been thinking of trying VR? This bundle will vault you directly into Skyrim and beyond. It includes the BRAND NEW model 2 PlayStation VR headset (CUH-ZVR2) with optional integrated earbuds and HDR compatible processor box, a PlayStation Camera, two PlayStation Move controllers (new micro-usb versions), Skyrim VR, and VR demo disc.

SkyrimRule.png

Gameplay Videos

SkyrimRule.png

Additional Links

VR Specific Settings

Skyrim-VR-Settings.jpg

Animated Gifs

05SkyrimGif00.gif
05SkyrimGif01.gif

05SkyrimGif02.gif
05SkyrimGif03.gif

10GreatnessAwaits.jpg

Last edited:

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This might be the game that helps me sell the idea of getting the PSVR to my spouse.

For that alone I am grateful, but the Twitch stream seemed fun as hell too.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Great OP. Well done. :)

Have this pre-loaded on my PS4 now.
This is the third time I'm buying Skyrim... but the first time I will actually be playing it!
Huge fan of Morrowind & really enjoyed Oblivion.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
The bundle price during Black Friday is really tempting. Fuck my backlog is already huge :(

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Is this a timed exclusive?
Yep. They've said in numerous interviews that they are looking into support for other VR platforms on the market for all of their current VR titles (Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR and Fallout 4 VR).

Personally I expect Skyrim to be available on Vive early next year given that they are already working on Vive stuff like Doom and Fallout, and there's a decent chance that all of them will be compatible with the Rift at some point though it's not guaranteed given Oculus' legal troubles with Zenimax/Bethesda-

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Curious to see how well the combat ends up playing out. The closest thing I've experience in VR so far was Vanishing Realms and the melee combat in that wasn't amazing.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Soms of the previews from september mentioned that Skyrim VR is pretty bad due to contols (you couldn't walk around but had to teleport next to enemies to strike at them and if you were even one cm too far away you had to teleport to a new position). But reading the OP it seems to me that you can walk and even run now. Looking forward to new impressions.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super pissed that this isn't also an add-on I can for my existing copy. I would pay 30-40 bucks for it, but it's hard to justify a whole new copy of the game at full price.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been this hyped for a game since Mario Odyssey!

Seriously, I can't wait, even bought a Pro to get the best experience possible.

Those damn spiders in VR though...

Grindlefly

Oct 26, 2017
Soms of the previews from september mentioned that Skyrim VR is pretty bad due to contols (you couldn't walk around but had to teleport next to enemies to strike at them and if you were even one cm too far away you had to teleport to a new position). But reading the OP it seems to me that you can walk and even run now. Looking forward to new impressions.

Lots of different options for movement. Some streams shown used the move controllers and the move button was walk, with a double click instigating run. You could then steer with the other move controller. You can also use the gamepad just like traditional skyrim. Everything is customisable they have said.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
"Hands-On: Skyrim VR Without Teleportation Is Much More Immersive"

It also supports the same controls as Resident Evil 7 which is a combination of DualShock 4 + pixel-perfect head aiming.

Oct 26, 2017
Curious to see how well the combat ends up playing out. The closest thing I've experience in VR so far was Vanishing Realms and the melee combat in that wasn't amazing.

Elder Scrolls' shitty melee combat actually works to its advantage here. You can flail about and it will still just register a hit. I preordered a physical copy in case I need to sell it, but I have high hopes.

OP
OP
CKOHLER

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, the original E3 demo was a disaster and was still being shown off until just recently. It contained only teleport movement. You couldn't even loot items. Since then, they've dramatically improved the locomotion options and offer smooth motion on both PS Move and DS4.

Hands On: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Has Improved Massively with PlayStation VR

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Elder Scrolls' shitty melee combat actually works to its advantage here. You can flail about and it will still just register a hit. I preordered a physical copy in case I need to sell it, but I have high hopes.
Yeah, my thinking was that Elder Scrolls combat was good to begin with, so it'll probably be fine. Are there any impressions of how good the bow aiming is?

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol that OT title.

I'll be keeping my eyes on this... Vive controller is at the repair shop but should be back by the time FO4 arrives on PC. It'll be interesting to see how well these games work with VR.

Has Bean

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Eagerly awaiting Reset impressions. That Skyrim VR bundle is so tempting...

Lamonster

Nov 1, 2017
St. Louis
oh my god, dat thread title lol

Can't wait to walk around in Skyrim on Friday. This is the kind of video game stuff I used to dream about.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for this. I really wish it had the survival mode included though... I really liked the survival mode in Fallout 4.

It's also weird they don't allow dragon shouts by actually shouting as there is a guaranteed microphone on each headset. I would have actually used dragon shouts if that were the case... it was too cumbersome to switch between them in the original game.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So looks like you made your decision between Switch and PSVR. I'm still struggling with this one lol.

If you have the choice I'd say PSVR is best. Portability is nice and all but unless you're living situation is one where you have to fight for the tv with family members I think Skyrim is best played on a big screen and actually 'being there' in VR will be incomparable.

Came so close to buying the recent Special Edition since I was so hyped but I noticed it had this weird yellow filter that made everything look like summer or autumn, completely robbing Skyrim of it's frigid atmosphere.

Thankfully Switch and PSVR has the superior colder temperature effect.

skyrim-original-vs-remasterizado-2.jpg

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
OT and thread title are pretty much perfect! This game makes me want to buy a Playstation VR... but I think I can wait it out if its just one year.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this based on the remastered version with nicer textures or the original version of the game?

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I'm getting flashbacks to when I first played Ultima Underworld in real-time on an ancient 486. I'm even coming to terms with the tank-like controls with dual-Moves. Anticipation.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the best OT title I've seen yet. Isn't Skyrim VR coming to PC at some point as well, or is it PS exclusive, timed or otherwise?

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Haha, nice thread title. I got excited until I saw it was exclusive to PSVR. I only have a Rift so looks like I'm screwed for now. That PSVR bundle is almost tempting tho...