• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is literally built around motions controls. I believe them. You would have to change boss fights as well as simple enemies. I am waiting on a remake, but I don't think it's happening.

That would work for sure. Might make the game a bit easy though.

Haven't read the whole thread (I'm sure someone has pointed out) but that would feel like a mobile game... An Elderscroll Bladesesque abomination.

And I thought I disliked SS enough already...

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Maybe part of the problem here is conflating remaster with remake.

A remaster of the game - HD upres, improved textures and lighting - would be extremely difficult to pull off if they wanted to remove the motion controls. They'd have to substantially rework the game, which isn't always the point of a remaster.

A remake of the game - created from the ground up for Switch with new technology - would be time-consuming and would command some of Nintendo's limited development resources, unless they outsourced it. But, in this case, it'd be easier to remove the motion controls because they'd be starting from scratch and recreating the game's locations, puzzles and story, rather than working within the existing game, if that makes sense.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
It wasn't my intention to "make them look silly", honestly. I'm the first to admit that the Dolphin solution is not ideal by any means. But I don't understand why implementing traditional controls is "close to impossible". There must be a vital piece of technical information that we're missing. Either that, or they simply don't want to do it. And, again, that's fine.

A lot of the game IS built around motion. That means the gameplay is slower so that it can accomodate a less precise method of control input. Enemy and boss AI move and attack with that in mind.

This discussion always comes up in regards to Metroid Prime 3 too. If the Trilogy does end up on Switch, how much will they modify Corruption's gameplay? Or will they keep it as it is because it's only 1/3 of the game?

So yeah, it wouldn't be necessarily "close to impossible", but it would require more rework than one would think necessary.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I hear a lot of negativity towards the game in Era, but I'd still like to experience it. Joycon gyro controls "sorta" work in Skyrim (and will probably be used in Blades) so I'm not sure why they're hesitating on a remaster or entertaining the thought of playing without motion controls.

Is the IR in the right joycon lacking in some way they haven't revealed?

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Thank you for making all the doubters look silly. Of course it can be done. They should do an HD remaster with both options. They would pretty much need to remove them anyway if you wanted full handheld support.
Especially if the switch revisions are real(and at this point its just probably a matter of weeks bf they get announced) i really cant see nintendo ever forcing motion only again. They cant expect that people buy seperate joycon controllers if said person bought a switch mini, it completely defeats the purpose of a switch mini if they need to bring extra controllers with them.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the point of the Wii motion plus was that it largely used gyro anyway right?

Surely the joycons should easily be good enough replacements for that then? It'd probably have to be played without the joycons attached, but that's better than not porting it at all.

Unless I'm misunderstanding things, he's not saying it couldn't be remade on Switch; he's saying that he couldn't see a way for the remake to include a 'no motion controls' option.

In other words, he does seem to be asserting that the joycons would be fine for this purpose.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even want a straight up port, Skyward sword is better left on the Wii as a reminder of how not to make a Zelda game.

Not because of motion controls which were great, but the rest of the game

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Unless I'm misunderstanding things, he's not saying it couldn't be remade on Switch; he's saying that he couldn't see a way for the remake to include a 'no motion controls' option.

In other words, he does seem to be asserting that the joycons would be fine for this purpose.

Then again he's also confused about what link would do if Zelda was playable so ... shrugs.

The Wii+Nunchuck only has one control stick. You just map the motion slashes to the right stick.

The Wii mote + Nunchuck has 11 buttons + 1 stick

The switch has 14 + 2 sticks. Surely you can work out something with that extra button easy enough

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I hear a lot of negativity towards the game in Era, but I'd still like to experience it. Joycon gyro controls "sorta" work in Skyrim (and will probably be used in Blades) so I'm not sure why they're hesitating on a remaster or entertaining the thought of playing without motion controls.

Is the IR in the right joycon lacking in some way they haven't this?
What does the IR camera have to do with anything?

Last edited:

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Wii+Nunchuck only has one control stick. You just map the motion slashes to the right stick.

The Wii mote + Nunchuck has 11 buttons + 1 stick

The switch has 14 + 2 sticks. Surely you can work out something with that extra button easy enough

The problem isn't that it's not technically possible, it's that it'd be a bit shit to actually play.

It's the same reason kid Icarus uprising won't be rerelease on switch either. You could feasibly make it playable on a second stick setup but it's a game built on the assumption you have more control.

The closest you could probably get for the sword play would be aping metal gear risings sword mode, but I still don't think it would be a particularly good fit for skyward sword.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I love Skyward Sword and I wouldn't want to play it w/o motion controls.

Does this also mean we will never get Mario Galaxy HD remakes? :(

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good. Remake the game and keep the motion controls. Make some QoL improvements and maybe expand the overall world a little and that's it. I want to replay this gorgeous game in HD so badly.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I love its music. Great game

Would be cool if they could fix some if the problems. Shutting off fi would be a good start.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
If they went to the same lengths they did with Wind Waker HD it wouldn't be so tough to make the changes needed. Changing it for a cheap and nasty port would be impossible.

Good. End this stupid fantasy. It's the worst 3D Zelda anyway but they can still port it. Joycons have better motion detection and IR.

Just because you think its the worst, doesn't make it the worst.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is nothing the motion controls did that couldn't be achieved with a second analogue stick.

And at least that would be responsive and not desync every few motion actions.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
The problem isn't that it's not technically possible, it's that it'd be a bit shit to actually play.

It's the same reason kid Icarus uprising won't be rerelease on switch either. You could feasibly make it playable on a second stick setup but it's a game built on the assumption you have more control.

The closest you could probably get for the sword play would be aping metal gear risings sword mode, but I still don't think it would be a particularly good fit for skyward sword.

Personally I actually liked the motion controls and had no issues with them...

But for those that disliked them initially I'm sure the arguement would be that on release the game was a bit shit to play, so why does it matter if the shit is slightly different this time?

Mapping doesn't seem to hard though

L3= C
L1= move nunchuck
L1+ R Stick = spin attack
R3 = draw sword. Hold to
R Stick = 8 directional buttons that control the sword with a quick flick.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Is nothing the motion controls did that couldn't be achieved with a second analogue stick.

And at least that would be responsive and not desync every few motion actions.
Yeha I also agree with this. The game didn't have camera control in the original anyway so it's not like something would be replaced. Hope they consider it as an option

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Is the IR in the right joycon lacking in some way they haven't revealed?
Skyward Sword only used it as a quick "on the fly" recalibration method, so they could surely just map the same feature to a key and call it a day.

After all, IIRC even Skyward Sword had this feature, you would just lose autorecalibration with the joycons if they ported the game to Switch (the IR camera is on the back of the joycon, and anyway I don't remember it being ever used for the infamous "IR markers" function in a way that resembles the original wiimote)

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I liked the game but the motion controls made it a chore for me. Took me a year to beat because I would take month long breaks

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't work in tandem with the gyros for more precise tracking and positioning (through distance) for the joycon?
No. It's only used to track external objects for applications like 1-2 Switch and Labo. It's not really designed for tracking the Joy-Con itself, and I imagine the lack of any known reference point combined with the high resolution likely introducing some latency makes such a use case not possible.

SS did do this, yes, but purely as a reference point to automatically recenter, nothing more. Without a sensor bar (and a front facing IR camera), the Switch cannot do the same.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck getting this game to work without motion controls. It was specifically designed around motion+. This is the big downside to designing games around a systems specific gimmick and the sad thing is, the game would have probobaly been better without motion controls, but here we are. Porting SS in the future might be next to impossible and the effort required might not be worth it. Just as something like Star Fox Zero or Kid Icarus Uprising, i doubt we will see this game again. Even if they figure out the motion control issues, there is still a truckload of issues waiting to be fixed with a Skyward Sword remaster that plagued the original game. Nintendo might as well not bother. The game wasn't good and if someone want's to experience it then Dolphin is the way to go.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck getting this game to work without motion controls. It was specifically designed around motion+. This is the big downside to designing games around a systems specific gimmick and the sad thing is, the game would have probobaly been better without motion controls, but here we are. Porting SS in the future might be next to impossible and the effort required might not be worth it. Just as something like Star Fox Zero or Kid Icarus Uprising, i doubt we will see this game again. Even if they figure out the motion control issues, there is still a truckload of issues waiting to be fixed with a Skyward Sword remaster that plagued the original game. Nintendo might as well not bother. The game wasn't good and if someone want's to experience it then Dolphin is the way to go.
Aonuma already teased it, it's coming. Just with the motion controls in their full glory, based on this interview.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Especially if the switch revisions are real(and at this point its just probably a matter of weeks bf they get announced) i really cant see nintendo ever forcing motion only again. They cant expect that people buy seperate joycon controllers if said person bought a switch mini, it completely defeats the purpose of a switch mini if they need to bring extra controllers with them.

SS remake with no motion is already out of question, as far as Aonuma is concerned.

Most combat would need to be rehauled in order to implement actual button control.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
The controls is one of the things that makes this game very unique. I agree on this, you really feel in control of links Sword movements. I don't know if it would be possible on Switch (i guess it could?), but more people needs to play this game (i'm sure some hold themselves back due to the WM+ gimmick). I'm also sure it would benefit from the HD upgrade enormously (it looks great in Dolphin).

Do it Nintendo

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You could send in Raiden from MGR Revengeance using a PS3 controller and accomplish everything Link did in SS.

Jun 2, 2018
Northern Ireland
It would need a from the ground up redesign. I can't see them ever expending the resources needed on it.

It might work better on Switch. I would assume the joycons are better in terms of motion control than the Wiimote Plus.

The only movement I had an issue with was the Skyward Strike. All the rest worked for me.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's right.

And also a lot of peeps hate on SS too much. Soundtrack and story were some of the best in the series. Motion controls felt fine when it clicked.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Playing Skyward Sword without motion is like taking 70% its gameplay. Motion control is what makes Skyward Sword special and i adore it.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
People asking to retain the motion controls of Skyward Sword are remembering that game through rose-tinted tadtones.