• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Not really, the motion controls made the game great. You haters just aren't as good gamers, and too accustomed to your oldfashioned dual analog controls.

I'm too accustomed to responsiveness in games. That's probably why you start the game with SIX hearts - so you don't ragequit when you invariably die by unresponsive infrared and broken gyroscope registry.

Also worst final boss (and recycled penultimate bosses) in Zelda history?

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, the motion controls made the game great. You haters just aren't as good gamers, and too accustomed to your oldfashioned dual analog controls.

I mean yeah, the sheer novelty of motion controls and Wii Motion+ at the time was one of a handful of things that made that game salvageable. Skyward Sword basically exists as a tech demo for motion controls that came at the tail-end of the system's lifecycle. It's like the Star Fox Zero of Zelda, where the system's main gimmick is shoved into everything even when it could be accomplished better via some more conventional means.

People who dislike SS aren't uniformly haters of motion controls. I love Splatoon's gyro aiming, and think it's a damn shame devs won't utilize gyro in the DS4 for aiming in shooters. RE4 on Wii is still the definitive version for its pointer controls. SS's implementation didn't improve the combat though, it just turned every encounter into a tedious, braindead-simple puzzle. Bow aiming was cool, but that was already done with the pointer in Twilight Princess. The bird, swimming, bomb rolling, and half of the other shit you do in that game could have been accomplished via other means and on the whole the motion controls brought nothing new to the table aside from dumbing down combat.

And putting that aside, a lot of SS's design is just boring and tedious. Flying on the bird is tedious. Collecting tadstones is tedious. Fighting The Imprisoned 3 times is tedious. Getting interrupted by Fi every five minutes to tutorialize everything and explain half the goddamned puzzles is tedious.

Last edited:

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, make your game tied to something completely unique to a console, so we can never play it again without said console and accessories. Great idea.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Motion controls were the Best part of the game, if you take that you are only left with a bad game.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
No. Like Skyward Sword, the entire game is designed around the motion controls. The game would have to be significantly redesigned to work. You cant just slap the prime 1 and 2 controll scheme, or dual analogue on it and call it a day.
You are confusing Motion Controls with the pointer. If I remember correctly MP3 only used motion for the grapling hook pull and that could be changed to a button prompt. The game is designed around the pointer and the speed it allows, though, so it would be hard to make it work with a dual analog without compromises, as you said.

Skyward on the other hand doesn't use the pointer at all. Perhaps on the title screen or the menus? But that's about it.

I know some have suggested doing directional slashes, but the game takes notice of how your sword is being positioned for some blocking and puzzles. I don't think you could make it work unless you dedicate a whole analog stick to it, but that could feel very clunky.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The only game I played with better swimming controls was Majora's Mask.
Then play the last two AC games to see what good swimming controls look like.

That isn't correct. The Wii remote angle does control direction, yes (which was fine), but you only had to hold A to swim. Dashes were done by shaking the nunchuck, jumps were performed by a dash taking you above the surface.
This is still bad controls.

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
The motion controls weren't the problem of SS. The padding and lack of exploration was

GarrettB

Oct 27, 2017
I've played through the whole game with a 360 controller. I've never even played it with motion controls. There were a few tricky spots but I got through it.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last boss fight without the motion controls would be so much worse.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
That's all dome with buttons though right? Are there any things in Breath of the Wild that can only be done with motion controls?
Flying and swimming were controlled by motion controls. To move down you would need to move your wrist downward, which felt very uncomfortable to do. I believe that swimming and flying should have options for joystick control at the very least.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't they patch it so that Link just automatically swings in the right direction depending on what he's interacting with?

That's like asking "Shouldn't the game automatically move Mario to the platform he needs to jump on when you hit the jump button?"

A lot of combat revolves around advanced swordplay. In a lot of instances, you're 1 to 1 with an enemy who will block your attacks in certain directions and part of the fun is trying to outsmart the (and part of the game's frustration is the game not registering the move you made)

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
So... you're saying there's a chance :B

Both, for the remaster and no motion controls. I would love both controller options, but my dude Aonuma... just give me the Skyward Sword on switch :(

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've kinda explained my reasons earlier in the thread: Some of us can't use motion controls due to various disabilities and such, myself included. Like I mentioned, I have leniency to Party Games, VR Games, and stuff that use the Camera, but if you're a main entry title of a series that normally uses traditional controls, then that's a serious issue.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I'm considering buying a used Wii U just so I can play the Wii U games that I never got a chance to, like Skyward Sword and a few others.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I've kinda explained my reasons earlier in the thread: Some of us can't use motion controls due to various disabilities and such, myself included. Like I mentioned, I have leniency to Party Games, VR Games, and stuff that use the Camera, but if you're a main entry title of a series that normally uses traditional controls, then that's a serious issue.

I'm a big fan of Skyward Sword, and I firmly believe it wouldn't really work all that well or be all that fun without the motion control gimmick (but I guess this would be subject to your patience), but you're right. This game probably should have been a spin-off of sorts. It alienated a lot of people with the motion control be inherent to its design. Here's hoping you can play all future Zelda titles!

That said, if you've never played this game have you looked into some control setups emulating it on Dolphin? There may be a way to set it up without the motion controls that could help you play more comfortably. It wouldn't be perfect, but it may be possible.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
I guess that puts this port to rest then.

1542075034557.png

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I actually didnt mind the motion controls in SS. They were enjoyable IMO. Some of the fighting required you to tilt the wiimote at a certain angle to get the hit, so it makes sense that taking that out of it would be impossible.

However, the thing they really need to take out is the 2-3 hour intro sequence that SLOWWWLLLYYYY teaches you mechanics like youre a 4 year old.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That said, if you've never played this game have you looked into some control setups emulating it on Dolphin? There may be a way to set it up without the motion controls that could help you play more comfortably. It wouldn't be perfect, but it may be possible.

I actually looked into this awhile back, and judging from comments (I think even in this thread), it's still not easily feasible to do so. Apparently it still requires swapping between multiple controller set ups and it's not a very comfortable way to play. Plus, I heard that the attacking is wonky on current mappings. Considering I also have issues of being overwhelmed easily, which even basic controls can do to me sometimes (juuuust ran into this while playing Sonic Lost World yesterday, of all things), probably wouldn't be a good idea, haha.

It sucks, because this was always the one Zelda game I wanted to play and couldn't due to various circumstances. Ah well.

But yeah, knowing what I do know about this game, it'd require quite a lot of overhaul that'd it be essentially re-coding a good chunk of the game to function on a regular controller set up. So it wouldn't be a simple port and arguably close to remaking the game without entirely removing all the code. Even the 3DS Zelda ports really didn't tamper too much with the base code, outside of quality of life changes and revamping the rendering engine, bug fixes (some purposely left in, though a couple of the more problematic ones did slip through, notably one in Majora's Mask), and the like. So that'd definitely require quite a lot more work.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Nintendo stated that they plan on having annual Zelda releases on Switch, so I wonder what is coming for 2020. BotW 2 seems like a 2021 release to me, so I was hoping for the supposed SS port/remaster using joycons.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
They were never a problem to begin with. Sadly some people just don't like motion controls. I don't care if it freaks out a little, the level of control offered is hugely beneficial to gameplay. SS has the best combat in Zelda because of the motion controls. It has great items because how it's used by motion.

SS has a lot wrong with it, motion controls were one of the best parts.

ssnick37

Oct 27, 2017
The motion controls were fine even cool sometimes but by the end i kinda just wanted to swing my sword witu a button or an analog stick.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's okay, I probably shouldn't have immediately jumped on you for that. My bad on that. But yeah, it's definitely something people should be a little more aware of. I do have some leniency on VR and Camera games, particularly Party games, since I get those were games designed for a specific audience in mind.

Just it's frustrating knowing the Wii era for Nintendo, most of their games (majority are all mainline entries too) are locked with Motion controls, and have been a constant barrier for me to play. I practically started crying when I got to the Spider boss in Super Mario Galaxy, and almost entirely gave up because of it, because of the motion controls there.

Even Animal Crossing, which admittedly had very basic motion controls, was a struggle for me.
That sucks :-(

Are there any peripherals out there that could be if help to you?
Skyward Sword has the best Zelda dungeons I've played by far. I think it contains too much out-of-dungeon padding, but it doesn't deserve all the derision.

(I'm tempted to say "best dungeons in the series", but I haven't played Twilight Princess yet and I've heard those are really good.)
I think SS's dungeons are easier than TP's but are also more unique and interesting with more exciting combat. TP has a better challenge and harder puzzles if that's what you're looking for.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Couldn't the game be played with separate joycons anyway? Isn't the motion on those as good or if not better than Wii motion plus?

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
they could literally copy this

As many have already said, that's not ideal.

You'd need to rework enemy behavior to suit a different control scheme. The game is built to be relatively forgiving and telegraphed in order to accomodate a slower, more imprecise input. Just implementing buttons doesn't solve that problem.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
He's correct. IIRC there were at least 2 modders trying to make the game playable without motion controls back in the day... pretty sure neither of them released anything because it ended up being unworkable.

Edit: yeah I think that 360 mod above was one of them.