• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One "new element" many fans have clamored for in a potential remake of Skyward Sword is to remove the motion controls. For those hoping that is a possibility, Aonuma has some bad news. "So you're saying control it all with buttons?" he says with an incredulous squint. "That's a little hard! I think it might be close to impossible!"

SOURCE

Not that motion controls were the biggest problem with Skyward Sword anyway, but eh, I don't think I have any interest in a remake that is fully motion controlled again.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good, that game should only ever be played with motion controls. That's what makes it one of the best Zelda's ever made, why would anyone want it gutted?

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've always believed this but I still wish for a remake using the joycons for motion!

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Good, that game should only ever be played with motion controls. That's what makes it one of the best Zelda's ever made, why would anyone want it gutted?
Good. Just pretend it doesn't exist and move on.

ShorttermThornyFlycatcher-size_restricted.gif

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
You know what's not impossible? A Wind Waker HD/Twilight Princess HD double pack, baybee!
They would absolutely be separate, full-priced releases.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I skipped SS (not because of the motion controls), but don't you just need a button for vertical and one for horizontal? Was there much more than that?

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sure, I guess leave people out who can't use motion control because of physical disabilities and such, but okay. I can't even play Let's Go, even with the limited handheld motion controls, because of that reason. Attempts at the demo have been pretty bad.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the point of the Wii motion plus was that it largely used gyro anyway right?

Surely the joycons should easily be good enough replacements for that then? It'd probably have to be played without the joycons attached, but that's better than not porting it at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Just popping in to say that Breath of the Wild is my favorite Zelda game, but no single element in the game was as cool as those time stone things in Skyward Sword.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I figured, and that's fine. I'm definitely never replaying it due to said motion controls though. It was good as a one and done experience.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I skipped SS (not because of the motion controls), but don't you just need a button for vertical and one for horizontal? Was there much more than that?

Not quite. The sword controls for instance are built presuming you can attack enemies from at least 8 cardinal directions, and an attack from an incorrect one will be blocked. Every single item in the game uses then to some degree and assumes more granularity than just vertical/horizontal.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who actually thought the game could be remade without motion controls has clearly never played it.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So why would it be impossible? Because you have to slash in certain directions? Metal Gear Rising seemed to pull that off just fine.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview

It was incredibly painful and exhausting for me to play through due to some of the damage in my hands and some people with disabilities flat out can't play it. I'd have preferred to play the game with a normal control setup and the motion control combat certainly did *not* add to the experience for me.

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal
I mean isn't the Joy-Con just Wii motion plus?

Revamped the controls so that you play "split Joy-Con style" and I think that you don't HAVE to remove Motion Controls.

But also add the option to assign "Sword slashing" to a button too

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I guess leave people out who can't use motion control because of physical disabilities and such, but okay. I can't even play Let's Go, even with the limited handheld motion controls, because of that reason. Attempts at the demo have been pretty bad.
It was incredibly painful and exhausting for me to play through due to some of the damage in my hands and some people with disabilities flat out can't play it. I'd have preferred to play the game with a normal control setup and the motion control combat certainly did *not* add to the experience for me.

I'll admit I hadn't thought about people who are less able to play using motion controls, I take back what I said then. More accessibility options can only be a good thing even if they aren't for me personally.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Skyward Sword's motion controls were perfect. And they can replicate them with the JoyCons so they should do a remaster.