• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
An underappreciated gem of a game.

One day, they wil join you in the sun Skyward Sword.

Also the best princess Zelda!

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Bummer, I'd love to play it with good game play and not the awful implementation of the motion controls.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I just need a remaster. Loved the game so much. I wish they'd bring every zelda tittle to the switch. But that's never going to happen. :(

Jan 11, 2018
This is how I feel about MP3: Corruption as well, and one of the reasons im doubtful about a Trilogy Switch remaster.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Any fan who has asked for them to "remove" the motion controls is ridiculous on every level.

If you want them to try and add an option for button controls, sure. Asking for it to be removed, despite the controls being great and integral to the game, is stupid.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
As expected, hardware gimmicks are affecting access to Nintendo's back catalog. I have no issues here though since I do not think highly of Skyward Sword or motion controls.

Give us Wind Waker HD for Switch in 2020.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Of course, that's the main hook of the game. Please just give me an HD remaster already Nintendo, motion controls and all. And don't ruin it with voice acting please.

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
I remember people emulating this fine in Dolphin back in the day by binding cursor directions to the right stick.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care how they do it, I just want it on the Switch. I would really like to play it :D

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The sword combat would be playable using the 2nd joystick to emulate the 8 way motion controlled slashes. The stab could be done using the click-in on the stick. It might not feel that great but it would be doable.

I'm pretty sure the joycons also have motion control ability too.

Skyward sword is a great game, would love to see it come forward but we always have the Wii version at least.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's likely not worth the amount of effort to redesign the game for standard controls.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up daydreaming about a Zelda like Skyward Sword, so I loved it. But I can understand if you have any sort of disability that it wouldn't be the same experience, unfortunately (the same could be said about most VR games, too). Also the game has quite a few known issues not related to motion controls that could be fixed. I think if those were taken care of and the motion controls were tightened up, many more people would enjoy the game.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Thats like playing Wii Sports without motion controls? WTF? Why would you?

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with Skyward Sword was not the motion controls. They weren't great but they were fine. It was the awful pacing. The start of that game, with unskippable dialog, was like 4-5 hours and it was basically the most hand-holdyest tutorial ever.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
It would totally be appropriate set up an alternate control scheme. It would be non-trivial though. They'd have to change battle/monster mechanics a ton.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
You might be thinking of Twilight Princess, which had poor motion controls.

Skyward Sword is built around them and they work incredibly well the majority of the time.

Both are awful but I am thinking of my time when I owned Skyward Sword. I loved the art style and exploring but hated the controls.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Well that is a bummer, I would like to play SS again, but the motion controls were just ass, I guess it could be better on Switch, but that isn't the worst thing about the game anyway. Actually I just hate motion controls in general now that I think about it.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit I hadn't thought about people who are less able to play using motion controls, I take back what I said then. More accessibility options can only be a good thing even if they aren't for me personally.

It's okay, I probably shouldn't have immediately jumped on you for that. My bad on that. But yeah, it's definitely something people should be a little more aware of. I do have some leniency on VR and Camera games, particularly Party games, since I get those were games designed for a specific audience in mind.

Just it's frustrating knowing the Wii era for Nintendo, most of their games (majority are all mainline entries too) are locked with Motion controls, and have been a constant barrier for me to play. I practically started crying when I got to the Spider boss in Super Mario Galaxy, and almost entirely gave up because of it, because of the motion controls there.

Even Animal Crossing, which admittedly had very basic motion controls, was a struggle for me.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
How much swimming is there?

Ive spent years debating on whether or not to just buy the wii version for 50 just to play it and I can never bring myself to
There are four areas where you're required to swim:

- A quick swim into a place whose entrance is underwater
- A jaunt back through a dungeon that has partially flooded since your first visit
- A lake village + dungeon midway through the game
- A mandatory underwater collect-a-thon segment

It's quite a bit of swimming.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
The game's motion controls are not just limited to sword fighting (even then, it's not just simple swipes. You control left and right horizontal swings, up and down vertical swings, slanted swipes and stabs), but there's the pointing controls for the bow and arrow, the turning of 3 dimensional keys to fit in doors, dozens of other puzzles including a balancing a stack of pumpkins mini game... It just all adds up and you're going to have to find solutions for all of these instances.

I think that if there were to do a remaster, they should try to make the controls a bit more responsive since they could be quite finicky (along with Fi being less chatty and the game stopping to constantly remind me about the characteristics of a bug or how much a blue rupee is worth)

Jan 11, 2018
Nah, Metroid Prime 3 is much simpler. Skyrward is a complicated case.

No. Like Skyward Sword, the entire game is designed around the motion controls. The game would have to be significantly redesigned to work. You cant just slap the prime 1 and 2 controll scheme, or dual analogue on it and call it a day.

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal
Can you imagine the gamer rage if a Zelda game shipped without Pro Controller support?

It would soften the blow if it was part an Anthology collection

Grezzo's Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask and Wii U's Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD

Four games that use the pro controller and one that needs Motion Controls (which don't have to be bought separately)

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I feel like I've been living under a rock – I really had no idea that Skyward Sword was so poorly received, nor that its motion controls were so reviled. Is it just that they make the game hard to emulate?

As someone who grew up on Zelda and has legitimately played every entry (console + handheld) in a timely manner, I thought Skyward Sword was a breath of fresh air. Reactively swinging the sword to hit targeted regions was like THE thing I wanted to see a Wii game pull off, and I thought they did it pretty well (though this was with motion control +). Dungeon design was tight but densely packed, and the visual style was smokin'.

In my mind its biggest failing was the unskippable tutorials, slow pacing, and overintrusive emphasis on backtracking. Somewhere lurking under the excess there is a really solid Director's Cut we'll see in 5-10 years that is one of the best Zeldas in the series.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I take this to mean we're getting a SS remake with joycon motion controls. I'm very okay with this.

edit: lol people still pointing to "unskippable tutorials" as one of the big problems with the game. The meme has totally warped people's perception of reality.

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while since I've played SS, but couldn't motion control just be moved to the right analog stick whenever you are locked on to an enemy?

Edit: did not see that someone earlier mentioned that being the case for emulation.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember people emulating this fine in Dolphin back in the day by binding cursor directions to the right stick.
It was never 'just fine', or rather, it was always cumbersome, and in fact, was never a decent solution at all. Slashes were inconsistent and cursor control for menus was a bit of a nightmare since BoTW cursors used gyro/accelerometer data to determine onscreen cursor location instead of IR.
And this didn't change until literally the last major Dolphin update, released this year, changed how Dolphin handles controls entirely to enable games like Skyward Sword to function better.

Did you enjoy Dead Island's analog combat?

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Sometimes I feel like I've been living under a rock – I really had no idea that Skyward Sword was so poorly received, nor that its motion controls were so reviled.
Seriously?

This thread is an anomaly as there's an unusually high percentage of people who say they liked the game,or at least don't bash it.
SS threads are usually 90% negativity.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Shame. I still don't think I'd like it but still. Motion control only games suck.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
How much swimming is there?

Ive spent years debating on whether or not to just buy the wii version for 50 just to play it and I can never bring myself to
There's like one really bad swimming section late game that lasts maybe half an hour to an hour.

The swimming controls weren't great, but they were perfectly playable. Certainly not bad enough to be worth ignoring the entire game.

The entire game is based around motion controls, so it's not really feasible or sensible to take them out. Most combat encounters are some form of "find the right angle to slash", and it forms the core of the game.