• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The Joycons have better motion technology than the Wii Remote Plus so I don't know what's holding them back.

SlyCoug88

Jan 10, 2018
I don't know what it is but I've played through every Zelda game and I loved SS. Easily top 5 for me. I can see how its weaknesses would be a non-starter for others, but the things it does well are the things I like most about Zelda games.

Anyway, I just hope there's at least some sort of remaster in the future, along with the other HD games. I really want to be able to have the whole series portable, so hopefully they could figure out something possibly with the touch controls that would make it playable in handheld mode. I'm sure they'd have to be creative but that's sort of what Nintendo prides itself on.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Skyward Sword has the best Zelda dungeons I've played by far. I think it contains too much out-of-dungeon padding, but it doesn't deserve all the derision.

(I'm tempted to say "best dungeons in the series", but I haven't played Twilight Princess yet and I've heard those are really good.)

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Joycons have better motion technology than the Wii Remote Plus so I don't know what's holding them back.

Probably deciding how to adjust that for handheld mode.

Yeah, I know tabletop mode would work and there are games that are incompatible with certain modes right now but I think they'd want to design it for all three modes of the Switch.

Anyways screw it - I want HD versions of the 3DS Hero of Time games, they don't deserve to be stuck on the 3DS screen !

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I agree with this statement, a game without it is just lesser automatically. Galaxy is a game that doesn't need motion control, SS is not.

Also second best Zelda

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I'd love to see it on Switch nonetheless. Never played it. Only watched the cutscenes on YouTube. Maybe that's a better experience?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Is it the translation, or does the answer to this question sound a lot like its already in the works and they got joycon motion controls working as a replacement to the Wii Remote+ and Nunchuck ?

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Skyward sword is the worst zelda game from Nintendo. I rather play spirit tracks again

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Hated the motion controls, but also found the game itself to be a drag. It's one of the few Zelda games that I've never finished, and I tried playing through it multiple times.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Good, that game should only ever be played with motion controls. That's what makes it one of the best Zelda's ever made, why would anyone want it gutted?
This. Fuck the haters. The motion controls were the best part of the game. The only thing that didn't work was a few mini games, bit tbe core gameplay worked well with motion controls. Sword fighting, other weapons/items, solving puzzles, etc

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, yes, the game is basically built around them. The battles are all motion control puzzles, as is most everything else. It would certainly require some very heavy reworking.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
The hate for this game is strong. Is it just a vocal minority or the general consensus?
It has been a long time I played the game but I remember having greatly enjoyed it and finding the motion control amazing.

Oct 27, 2017

You can already play the game without motion controls on Dolphin, but I guess Nintendo simply doesn't want to do a version of the game that uses traditional controls. And that's all fine and dandy. It's their game and they manage it however they want.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
The hate for this game is strong. Is it just a vocal minority or the general consensus?
It has been a long time I played the game but I remember having greatly enjoyed it and finding the motion control amazing.

I loved the motion controls. But I found the near complete lack of exploration exhausting. It made for a game that was somehow less than the sum of its parts.

The core "feeling" of the Zelda games was lost. The feeling that Miyamoto had while exploring caves as a child.

This was just a collection of Zelda puzzles.

Good Zelda puzzles. But that's all.

It's really the antithesis of Breath of the Wild.

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Not all Zeldas should be alike and that's the point.
I'm fine in that Skyward is a linear corridor experience.

mrmojo228

Dec 3, 2018

You can already play the game without motion controls on Dolphin, but I guess Nintendo simply doesn't want to do a version of the game that uses traditional controls. And that's all fine and dandy. It's their game and they manage it however they want.

Thank you for making all the doubters look silly. Of course it can be done. They should do an HD remaster with both options. They would pretty much need to remove them anyway if you wanted full handheld support.

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for making all the doubters look silly. Of course it can be done. They should do an HD remaster with both options. They would pretty much need to remove them anyway if you wanted full handheld support.

It wasn't my intention to "make them look silly", honestly. I'm the first to admit that the Dolphin solution is not ideal by any means. But I don't understand why implementing traditional controls is "close to impossible". There must be a vital piece of technical information that we're missing. Either that, or they simply don't want to do it. And, again, that's fine.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
As expected, the fine nuance of motion controls are affecting access to Nintendo's back catalog. Too bad, I have no issues with it and I do think highly of Skyward Sword and what motion controls brought to the table.

Give us Twilight Princess HD for Switch in 2020.

Nov 1, 2017
I mean, close to impossible does sound hyperbolic but it would require reworking the game in so many ways that it would essentially no longer be Skyward Sword. Love them or hate them the motion controls are what makes SS what it is, you take that away then you might as well just make a new Zelda game (which they're doing).

I think SS gets a rough time, i had few problems with the motion controls and while the game is flawed in many ways (repeated boss battles, the sky open world is so empty it's kind of pointless etc) it also has some extremely memorable moments. Lanayru Desert is one my favourite areas in a Zelda game. You can question my taste levels or preferences here but as a Zelda game I much prefer SS over BotW which, as impressive as it is on a technical level really doesn't feel like much of a Zelda game to me. I still think Nintendo should have just been brave and made BotW it's own new franchise/IP.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Good answer. If you liked the motion controls, you liked Skyward Sword. If you didn't then you didn't. So who exactly is asking for this?
Anyway, Aonuma's wisdom is infinite. He's managed this franchise to perfection.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is why they never should have made a mainline Zelda game using motion controls in the first place

At least Twilight Princess was able to be salvaged

I like Skyward Sword, but it's a great game in spite of it's controls, not because of them

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Skyward Sword's motion controls were perfect. And they can replicate them with the JoyCons so they should do a remaster.

I'd be up for a Joycon version of they can replicate (and improve) the controls, however Skyward Swords controls were not perfect

They worked maybe 90-95% of the time, but anything under 100% is clearly going to cause frustration

Imagine playing a Mario game where A only made you jump 90-95% of the time you pressed it. It would be infuriating

The controls were impressive for the time, but there is a reason they're so divisive, and that is because not everyone can tolerate controls that only work most of the time

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Because it literally has some of the worst swimming controls of all time.
The only game I played with better swimming controls was Majora's Mask.
How much swimming is there?

Ive spent years debating on whether or not to just buy the wii version for 50 just to play it and I can never bring myself to
Not too much, but I enjoyed the swimming? Sounds like I might be in the minority.
It's the fact that you control Link's body and direction with the wii remote while iirc having to mash A to move and flicking it to jump it so just...makes it last so much longer than it seems
That isn't correct. The Wii remote angle does control direction, yes (which was fine), but you only had to hold A to swim. Dashes were done by shaking the nunchuck, jumps were performed by a dash taking you above the surface.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The motion controls were the least of my issues with the game, but I can't say I'd miss them if they were removed. They have to have the source code for the game, so there's no way they couldn't rework the game to remove them if they really wanted to. It's either a time, budget or will to do it issue. I'd imagine it's mostly a lack of desire to do it as they'd likely be farming it out to an external studio to port.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
The joycon are better in everything but one thing: aim.

As they do not have a reference you have to be recalibrating the center manually all the time.
IIRC Skyward Sword didn't use the infrared sensor for aiming, so there wouldn't be any drawbacks with joycons.

SS did indeed use the gyro for aiming. I actually prefered this method since it allowed to me adjust my hands however I wanted and just hit the recenter button whenever it went out of wack. With games like Metroid, you're constantly having to hold your Wiimote straight at the tv.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I had close to zero problems with motion controls in the game, if something the only criticism i had at the time was that i would have preferred IR aiming than motion aiming but swordplay was good.

That being said it's bullcrap, you can totally do SS without motion controls because we have a second analog

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
No lies detected from Aonuma.

SS is my 3rd favorite zelda game in the series. and the motion+ really lets that game shine.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
LOL I guess he hasn't played MGS Revengeance...

giphy.gif

The other motion stuff can be easly adapted to analog sticks and buttons too.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's possible to implement more traditional controls, but in some ways it would be a bit of a pain, as it would either make directional sword controls only usable in z-targeting mode or make them replace right-stick camera controls outright. The latter would play just fine as the game wasn't designed with right-stick camera controls in mind, but hoo boy a lot of people would be upset that they can't rely on the right stick to move the camera.

There's also a bunch of other motion-based puzzles and such in there as well as bow aiming, though, that can't quite be substituted so neatly.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
God. I wanted to like the game so much. The controlls were wildly inconsistent for me. Played on brand new Wii motion pluses. Tried more than one new pair. Controlls worked about 60% of the time. Made plying the game a lesion in frustration. Nothing like dying because the motion control did something _other_ than what you did, and you were counter attacked and killed. This happened more than once in the roughly 6 hours I played before I had to put it down. What a sad experience.