• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
People are so dramatic about Skyward Sword's motion controls. They're just fine after you get past the tutorial fight. Obviously if someone has a disability which detracts from their ability to use them, that's a different story, but I'm talking about people who act like you have to jump around the room flailing your arms all over the place in order to get them to work, or that you get false readings regularly.

The only thing I think was poorly implemented was the bomb-bowling mechanic, and even that isn't the end of the world.

May 15, 2019
I always thought using the right analog stick for sword controls would work just fine, similar to how the blade mode aiming worked in Metal Gear Rising. I loved the motion controls and the combat in general, and would have preferred a dual analog take on Skyward Sword's combat in Breath of the Wild.

Makai

Oct 25, 2017
The sword swings are locked to an octoganol gate. Just use the right analog and a trigger for stabs.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, make your game tied to something completely unique to a console, so we can never play it again without said console and accessories. Great idea.

Oh yes, motion control wands, completely unique to a single system, that being the Wii, Wii U, SW, PS3, and PS4. If only there was a way to implement motion control on other systems than just that single one, especially Nintendo's own system, then we might actually have some chance of getting a Skyward Sword remake. But the logistics are just impossible.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I been meaning to replay SS, but was waiting for a potential port to Switch. Not sure if I should go ahead and replay now or wait

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
The sword swings are locked to an octoganol gate. Just use the right analog and a trigger for stabs.

You do more with the sword than just swinging in 8 directions...

- There's one enemy where you have to hold your sword out in front of you and draw circles in the air to make it dizzy in order to attack it.
- There's a puzzle where you have to draw an image with your sword.
- There's a move where you have to hold your sword above your head and wait for it to charge after which you swing it down to shoot a beam.

Then there are other uses for motion controls like when you pick up a bomb:
- swing it over hand (like a baseball) and you throw the bomb.
- swing it under hand (like a bowling ball) and you roll it on the ground.

While it might be possible to map these to buttons or button combinations, your control scheme is going to quickly become very complicated and convoluted.

If Nintendo is remastering this for the Switch, I hope they are able to refine the controls a bit because I think the main problem I personally had was the game not correctly understanding my motions. Example: you fight a certain boss a couple of times and this boss is very quick and nimble and is able to block your moves pretty well and it gets very frustrating when you wish to horizontally swipe from left to right and the game thinks you're doing right to left and you miss your window of attack.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Large, large portions of that game would have to changed up completely. No, not the things some of y'all criticize it for.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Any chance we get an HD release for Switch? The joy cons could handle the motion controls right?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Maybe part of the problem here is conflating remaster with remake.

A remaster of the game - HD upres, improved textures and lighting - would be extremely difficult to pull off if they wanted to remove the motion controls. They'd have to substantially rework the game, which isn't always the point of a remaster.

A remake of the game - created from the ground up for Switch with new technology - would be time-consuming and would command some of Nintendo's limited development resources, unless they outsourced it. But, in this case, it'd be easier to remove the motion controls because they'd be starting from scratch and recreating the game's locations, puzzles and story, rather than working within the existing game, if that makes sense.
Nintendo wouldn't greenlight such an expensive remake for the worst selling 3D Zelda wich is against the current formula they are using.

They would rather take story bits and puzzle ideas from it to be used in BotW 1/2/3 ( like they been doing )

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Literally no point to removing one of the best parts of the game. People asking for that have no fucking idea what they're talking about.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Mark me down as loving the skyward sword motion controls. They work great and are used in the best way.

Any chance we get an HD release for Switch? The joy cons could handle the motion controls right?
There's nothing in Skyward Sword that the Joycons can't do (and the additional buttons/stick are ripe for some QOL additions, along with the more refined gyros that would make input reading much more accurate), but I think that it comes down to whether or Nintendo would want to make a core game like this without any chance of a handheld mode option. It's an easier decision to make for party games that are designed around the Joycon to begin with on forgoing portable play, but you can see why it would be a different story here. I've suspected that this is a big reason why we haven't seen anything on MPT yet, since Prime 3 is very much designed around a similar set of controls that you can't really do in portable mode without getting into outright redesign territory.

Rinku

Jun 7, 2019
The problem with Skyward Sword was not the motion controls. They weren't great but they were fine. It was the awful pacing. The start of that game, with unskippable dialog, was like 4-5 hours and it was basically the most hand-holdyest tutorial ever.

Someone hasn't played Twilight Princess.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Its the worst 3D Zelda (still a solid 8.5) but it has the best story. I want it HD!
I really disliked the story, its somewhat charming at first but then it becomes a puzzle fest with Fi chasing Girahim and Zelda until the very end were you fight Demise_Ganon.it feeds you too little for 40 hours and every npc below showing you the controls makes it feel like a platforming game.

Its too lighthearted for an origin plot, but not good except for a few scenes with Zelda

Rinku

Jun 7, 2019
Yeah both TP and SS were awful at this. :^(
But SS combat and challenge was not a bore at least if you get used to the controls its pretty fun

Personally, I enjoyed SS's dungeons and side quests more than TP's. And as far as Zelda stories go this, Spirit Tracks and Wind Waker are the only ones that I feel really fleshed out Zelda as a character (Though BOTW definitely made her feel more like a person too, just not to the same extent.)

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Using your second stick for the motion control stuff has been done in Dolphin, it "works" but the whole game feels awkward in a way that tentpole first-party Nintendo games shouldn't. He's right.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Personally, I enjoyed SS's dungeons and side quests more than TP's. And as far as Zelda stories go this, Spirit Tracks and Wind Waker are the only ones that I feel really fleshed out Zelda as a character (Though BOTW definitely made her feel more like a person too, just not to the same extent.)
I agree, SS main town was more fun and colorful than anything in Twilight Princess . Dungeons get saved for their motion controlled puzzles and challenging enemies, Ancient Cistern is one of the most memirable in the series , and the gust jar (?) Is a great item along with the time stones

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I'd love to see it remastered without motion controls, however it's clear the entire game was built around them, so I'll settle for a remaster with Joycon support. I just want to play it, and don't want to buy a Wii/Wii U to do so.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
He's correct. IIRC there were at least 2 modders trying to make the game playable without motion controls back in the day... pretty sure neither of them released anything because it ended up being unworkable.

Edit: yeah I think that 360 mod above was one of them.

The motion control mapping was very recently completely reworked in Dolphin. It'll be interesting to see if that makes a significant change in the state of SS with a controller.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Yeah it would take a remake effort not a remaster or HD effort. I think he just doesn't want to do it. Cheaper for Nintendo to do a remaster. But you can do anything with software. The question is never if, it's always how much time/money.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Skyward Sword is one of the best Zelda titles ever because of the motion controls. BotW felt like a huge step back with just a single button to swing your sword.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword is one of my least favorite Zeldas and emblematic of what I believe was the lowest point of the series in terms of the direction they seemed to taking the franchise, but I think that, if they were to make an HD remaster for the Switch, I would be able to look more at the better aspects and appreciate it more for what it is, knowing now that they thankfully pushed the franchise in the complete other direction for the foreseeable future. It's no longer a game that has any relevance to the future of the series. And in that sense, I think I'd just be able to play it and enjoy it for what it is. So I hope that it gets an HD remaster at some point. It'd certainly look very nice, at the very least!

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It makes sense, and we always knew that SS was going to be the most problematic/less probable 3D Zelda remaster.

As I've said before it's a shame that the artstyle won't be updgraded to HD (there's emulators though), and I wouldn't mind to replay the game again with better tech, but if I need to decide for a single 3D Zelda to remain in the original system it'd be SS without a doubt.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Imo the motion controls were fine. I'd even say the most interesting part of the game. It was everything else that was a clusterfuck

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
motion controls were fine i just don't think they were a good fit for a 20+ hr adventure game. would've been ideal for a "gaiden" or spinoff zelda that mostly revolved around combat, sort of like how VR games that pull off swordplay well don't really go beyond the mechanic

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the motion controls. I just want them to get rid of those repeated battles against the Imprisoned.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
My issue wasn't having to use motion to swing a sword, but to have to use motion where a button press would be simpler. I haven't played it in ages but didn't you have to actually waggle to swim and such? The bird controls were fucking garbage as well.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
My issue wasn't having to use motion to swing a sword, but to have to use motion where a button press would be simpler. I haven't played it in ages but didn't you have to actually waggle to swim and such? The bird controls were fucking garbage as well.

No. You held down A and you changed your direction with the Wiimote.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The motion control mapping was very recently completely reworked in Dolphin. It'll be interesting to see if that makes a significant change in the state of SS with a controller.
I don't think the sword or the bug net could be adequately done with a traditional controller, but it would be great if we could remap dumb motions like flapping your bird's wings or swimming.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Aren't the Switch controllers better versions of the wiimote? They're also lighter to hold so the motion controls would probably feel better.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
What equipment do I need?

I own the game already, just don't wanna pull out the Wii U from its grave to play it lol.
If you have a Wii, all you need is an SD card large enough to hold the game. Use LetterBomb to install the homebrew loader, and then run CleanRip.

If you only have a Wii U, and your Wii U is up-to-date, you also need an exploitable Wii game. The one you're most likely to already own is Smash Brothers Brawl.

Edit: Oh, and for Dolphin, you're going to want a Bluetooth Adapter, a Wii Motion Plus remote, and preferably a wireless/USB sensor bar, although the last item isn't truly required for Skyward Sword.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't the Switch controllers better versions of the wiimote?

Almost! They lack an IR Camera + sensor bar (no, that one on the joycon doesn't work, it faces the wrong way and there's still no sensor bar.).

The lack of a sensor bar probably wouldn't be a problem for Skyward Sword, though. Skyward Sword used the bar to (attempt to) re-centering your sword, with varying levels of success. The JoyCons have a better gyroscope though, so I'm not sure whether or not that would make up for the lack of a sensor bar. Either way, it would still work, it just might or might not exacerbate one of the worst technical issues with the original game.

Last edited:

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this is an indication they are considering remastering this game. The art style is so beautiful it would benefit so much for the HD treatment. I also think the motion controls gave the game a really unique feel compared to other games in the series, so I would love to have it on a modern console.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
If you have a Wii, all you need is an SD card large enough to hold the game. Use LetterBomb to install the homebrew loader, and then run CleanRip.

If you only have a Wii U, and your Wii U is up-to-date, you also need an exploitable Wii game. The one you're most likely to already own is Smash Brothers Brawl.

Edit: Oh, and for Dolphin, you're going to want a Bluetooth Adapter, a Wii Motion Plus remote, and preferably a wireless/USB sensor bar, although the last item isn't truly required for Skyward Sword.

Thanks, been looking it all up on and off today.